how much gas after light goes on?

Posted by: Anonymous

how much gas after light goes on? - 20/01/05 11:34 PM

I filled my tank the other day in an effort to see how many miles I could get on a full tank (50%hwy/50%city). At the same time, I got curious to know how much fuel was left in reserve after the warning light came on. The manual only said a "small reserve" is left. I was at 254 miles when the fuel light came on. I immediately filled up. The pump stopped at 16.5 gallons. Since the tank is a 19.4 gallon tank, and if my math is correct, then about 3 gallons is left after fuel light warning, correct? It seems like a lot, since they said a "small reserve". Can anyone out there confirm? It's not that I like to drive around on fumes, I'm just interested in knowing, especially if i'm out in the middle of nowhere. It would be nice to know exactly when I have to get out and hitch.

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 21/01/05 12:13 AM

My experience is about the same. Light comes on for me about 275 miles, takes about 16.5 gallons to fill. Should be about 3 gallons left, or about 45 miles to find a station.
Posted by: Canope

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 21/01/05 02:51 AM

Agree. 3 gallons / 27 miles. frown

Thomas

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 21/01/05 07:29 AM

Mine is the same, about 3 gallons left, but I must say, it makes me nervous to drive around with the light on.

I am always thinking that it may have waited until I only had 1 gallon left this time.

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 21/01/05 07:43 AM

it says in the manual that 3 gallons are supposed to be in the tank at all times. so you have some space before you HAVE to fill up.

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 25/01/05 09:32 AM

I have driven quite a ways after the light has come one (not by choice, my wife missed that last servcie station while I was asleep and she was driving! mad ). I would say almost 100 km before we hit the next gas station after Terra Nova Park, NL......and I would say we coasted in on fumes too......took 72 litres of gas after that (the tank is 72 litres!).

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 25/01/05 02:50 PM

you crazy candadians and your kilometers and liters...

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 25/01/05 04:18 PM

crazy canadians???...how about crazy REST OF THE ENTIRE WORLD...since all of them except for us are on the metric system. i think in this case we are the ones at fault. but its easy, just learn both. i have

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 25/01/05 05:12 PM

it was a joke. im sure if i HAD to learn both i would but i have no need. oh well.

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 25/01/05 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Mine is the same, about 3 gallons left, but I must say, it makes me nervous to drive around with the light on.

I am always thinking that it may have waited until I only had 1 gallon left this time.
I'm the same way. In fact, I barely let it get below the 1/4 tank line for this very reason.

Re: how much gas after light goes on? - 30/01/05 06:36 PM

Yeah, I found learning both systems is great. Canadian engineering students are required to learn both as well as the conversion factors between them during the degree we do.......not too many people can picture what 30 cm of snow looks like (but they know 1 foot), or know what 10 kg feels like (but they know 22 lbs)....feet, lbs, etc, are simpler to picture but metric is easier to do math with which makes life easy.

What was this thread about again? [Wave] Crazy Canadians..........hehehe