NOS systems

Posted by: Anonymous

NOS systems - 25/01/05 04:14 AM

Has anyone installed a NOS system in an Xterra?

It would be a lot cheaper than adding a supercharger.

What are the pros and cons of adding nitrous oxide to the 3.3L V6 engine?

They claim it will boost the Horsepower of any stock engine!

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 04:23 AM

Here it comes. Get your flame suit ready. :rolleyes:
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 06:09 AM

What's wrong with adding a NOS kit?I know I've been in a few situations where I was going up a steep hill and a small 50-75 shot would have helped out greatly....
Posted by: NuDan

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 06:19 AM

"Kitt, hit the Turbo Boost!"

"yes Michael"

:rolleyes: [LOL]
Posted by: gearhead1972

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 06:56 AM

The long term effects of NoS on a stock engine do not make it cheaper or a worth while alternative for a daily driver.

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 06:59 AM

it can work on a stock engine but you have to know a lot about the engine you are working on. i have yet to hear of anyone in an X running it. i'm big into the Saturn scene (my old car) and a lot of guys are running NITROUS in their's and it works fine on the stock engine. you just need to know when you can and can't spray. it would be pointless in an X though.

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 07:23 PM

I'm glad someone brought this up. The Xterra is the perfect candidate for nitrous: you can't fit a bigger engine, no off the shelf supercharger kits, and it is beyond me why anyone would spend $800 trying to squeeze 14 extra horsepower using a different air filter and cat-back exhaust. NOS is great if you don't lean out your engine and burn a hole in a piston.

I've looked at some "wet" and some "dry" systems. Any of you guys who have used nitrous care to explain the differences and benefits of either?

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 07:52 PM

wet kits spray fuel into the intake as well as nitrous. dry kits only spray in nitrous. i'm not sure if X's have returnless fuel systems or not. i really don't see a point in puttin nitrous in an X as nitrous is more for racing applications. you won't be able to use it offroad as it will backfire and blow up the engine if under 3000 RMPs. at least this was the case with saturns. trade urs for an SE S/C or 05 X and save yourself the hassle.

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 07:54 PM

A wet system also injects extra gas in with the Nitrous. Totaly independent of the vehicle's own fuel system, the Nitrous kit could utilize a higher octane fuel (104 anyone?) to inject with the Nitrous. Making it a wet system.

The dry systems only inject the Nitrous, and depend on the vehicle's fuel supply to get the extra fuel. Whatever is in the gas tank is used to go with the Nitrous. When activated, the Nitrous system would also trigger something to boost the fuel pressure, or use a computer to richen the fuel mixture enough to be safe for the Nitrous.

Now there are different systems.

There are wet systems that use the vehicle's fuel system, but use the fuel that's in the fuel return line to go back and get injected with the Nitrous. And there are different ways to inject the mix. Shark nozzles, injector base nozzles and single injection nozzles among others.

Nitrous however is only used at wide open throttle, and mostly above 3K rpm. The nozzles usually have interchangeable tips, to differentiate between the powers, as in a 35hp tip, 50hp tip, 70hp tip, etc.

I could see the 3.3 being good to about 70hp, but that's a max. Other weak links would begin to show. Aluminum transmissions, t-cases and small u-joints would tend to show their condition more quickly when the juice is applied.

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 08:28 PM

^^ 104 would work fine but 92 is really all you need. anything higher than 92 is fine though.

but yes, only at wide open throttle and above 3k. our redline is at like 5750 so it dosn't leave much room for you to use it, making it pointless.

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jparf:
...but yes, only at wide open throttle and above 3k. our redline is at like 5750 so it dosn't leave much room for you to use it, making it pointless.
Exactly. You'd redline way too fast, and probably over-rev and float a valve. Not too good.

But still, a mudder without regard to his own vehicle could have some fun before buying a new powerplant.

Re: NOS systems - 25/01/05 10:36 PM

So what you are saying is that NOS is crack cocaine to engines!

If you do use it, don't expect to see 100K on the odometer.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Xterra:
...no off the shelf supercharger kits
Oh... silly me... these guys will be disappointed to hear that:
[img]http://www.tonemonday.com/images/nissan_sc/nissansc[1].jpg[/img]
Posted by: Lincoln

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 06:06 AM

I can't stand how Fast and the Furious (what a horrible movie) has renamed Nitrous "NOS." That is the name of a company, of a brand for fucks sake.

It is like calling all TV's a Sony.

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 06:45 AM

Well it's no worse than using a Cleanex, Q-Tip, or Xerox!

Any suggestions on a wet system for the 3.3?

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 06:46 AM

See, I always thought "NOS" meant New Old Stock...

But I guess that's 'cause I used to buy parts for an old Honda bike I had... Darn near everything was "NOS" for that..

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 07:55 AM

ugh, if you REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna try and hook up a wet kit get either a Holly NOS system or NX. They are the best. Stay away from Zex because they suck. If i were to nitrous my old saturn i was gonna use NX.
Posted by: rfritz

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 08:45 AM

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Quote:
[b]...no off the shelf supercharger kits
Oh... silly me... these guys will be disappointed to hear that:
[img]http://www.tonemonday.com/images/nissan_sc/nissansc[1].jpg[/img][/b]
It has been carb pending for years (2?).
I don't consider it to be available untill they are willing to sell it, at the moment you cannot buy one.

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
I can't stand how Fast and the Furious (what a horrible movie) has renamed Nitrous "NOS." That is the name of a company, of a brand for fucks sake.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one, Lincoln. NOS stands for "Nitrous Oxide System". If there's a name brand called so (which I haven't heard of) then it's fine.

So in the movie by by saying "I'm using NOS" they mean "Nitrous Oxide System" there's nothing wrong with that.
Posted by: BoneCrusher

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 12:57 PM

I want to say something that hasnt been said yet. Nitrous is only a burst of power. First the X's engine will never be able to utilize a Nitrous boost kit without floating a valve and or blowing a gasket. Nitrous isnt a continous boost like a turbo or supercharger is. Someone using Nitrous on their rig is going to burn out the engine because of the weight the engine is pulling first of all and the actual weight of the tires. You guys are looking for a quick boost in power at the push of a button. Quick being around 5 seconds of boost. To a redline street race this is a LONG time. But driving on the highway its not likely to do anything for you. Youd be better off getting an exhaust, new headers, new intake, camshaft replacements, charged ECU, and smaller tires. That right there should give you 15-20 horses ALL THE TIME. And be less exhaustive on your engines life.

Oh and if you really were thinking of racing your X on a drag strip. Go ahead and sell it for a hyundai...I hear those are really fast cars.

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 02terra:
Quote:
[b]I can't stand how Fast and the Furious (what a horrible movie) has renamed Nitrous "NOS." That is the name of a company, of a brand for fucks sake.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one, Lincoln. NOS stands for "Nitrous Oxide System". If there's a name brand called so (which I haven't heard of) then it's fine.

So in the movie by by saying "I'm using NOS" they mean "Nitrous Oxide System" there's nothing wrong with that.[/b]
Actually you are wrong pally, NOS stands for "Nitrous Oxide Systems" which is in fact a company.

Click for linky

It is a brand name. The product is just Nitrous...period. I used to be a ricer head back in 1998. I had a 240sx that was all suped up, I read Sport Compact Car magazine, and Turbo magazine....and then I grew up.

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 02:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]I can't stand how Fast and the Furious (what a horrible movie) has renamed Nitrous "NOS." That is the name of a company, of a brand for fucks sake.

So in the movie by by saying "I'm using NOS" they mean "Nitrous Oxide System" there's nothing wrong with that.[/b]
Actually you are wrong pally, NOS stands for "Nitrous Oxide Systems" which is in fact a company.

Click for linky

It is a brand name. The product is just Nitrous...period. I used to be a ricer head back in 1998. I had a 240sx that was all suped up, I read Sport Compact Car magazine, and Turbo magazine....and then I grew up.[/b]
I understand your point, but look at it this way: Nitrous Oxide Systems in a brand name and I don't argue that. What I'm saying is that the whole "setup" of Nitrous that you put in the car can also be called "Nitrous Oxide System". Afterall, you ARE using Nitrous Oxide, aren't you? And since it's installed in your car to perform a task it can be called "System".

For example: A company called "Swift". They do delivery, but it doesn't mean that 'swift' can't be used as an adjective to describe movement.

Exactly the same concept with "NOS" or "Nitrous Oxide System".

EDIT: By the way, the product is actually Notrous Oxide, to be politically and chemically correct, however some call it just 'nitrous'

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 02:48 PM

if you want to know the wrong way to use the term go rent the fast and the furious. otherwise its called nitrous our you can say your car/truck is 'juiced' or 'bottle fed'.

calling is NOS is wrong unless you own holley's kit.

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 02:57 PM

this is not reall that off topic, but my friend from a japan motorsports mentioned that I could maybe fit a Nissan Skyline GT-R engine in the xterra. Anyone tried that out.

Probably cost 5000 to get the engine and itll make a killer speed racer...but really nuts....just wondering the possibility though considering that they managed to put a pathfinder enginer in an xterra.

p.s - NO WAY I AM GETTING THAT DONE---car relaibilty will go down.... smile
Posted by: fastdrmr

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 03:37 PM

Once upon a time there was a guy on here with a yellow X that was running NOS. He was from Oregon and had paddle tires on his X. He had quite the set up with a Semi truck (yellow) and the whole scene. He was running NOS to get him up the sand hills on the beach (I think). Although he never mentioned engine failure or fatigue, he did say that he would go through 3 or 4 tie rods a day. He was probably lifted and did not have any upgraded steering.

Does anyone else remember any more details?

I have always thought if a NOS set up would be helpful in high elevations, SLC and Denver. Although expensive and very intense (engine controls etc.) the set up could work to compensate altitude and air mixtures. The engine is capable of producing more power at sea level than at altitude, therefore - why not?

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 03:54 PM

Who cares if they call it nos or nitrous or juiced or bottle fed? Bottles are for babies anyways

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jparf:
if you want to know the wrong way to use the term go rent the fast and the furious. otherwise its called nitrous our you can say your car/truck is 'juiced' or 'bottle fed'.

calling is NOS is wrong unless you own holley's kit.
Thank you...

NOS was used because it was a stupid ass movie. Now it is sticking because all of the stupid people that liked the movie. That is why you see people suping up Geo metros and saturns now a days.

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 05:17 PM

"Hes got NOS>>>>>>>>>>>>>RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Re: NOS systems - 26/01/05 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edstorm:
this is not reall that off topic, but my friend from a japan motorsports mentioned that I could maybe fit a Nissan Skyline GT-R engine in the xterra. Anyone tried that out.

Probably cost 5000 to get the engine and itll make a killer speed racer...but really nuts....just wondering the possibility though considering that they managed to put a pathfinder enginer in an xterra.

p.s - NO WAY I AM GETTING THAT DONE---car relaibilty will go down.... smile
Your friend is full of shit. The RB26DET won't fit under the hood of the X. Unless you cut the firewall, relocate the radiator and condensor and know a cheap but reliable welder.

Everyone's fantasy of putting a Skyline motor in their ride can quit jerking off to pics of it in their bathrooms, put on their McDonald's hat (wash your hands) and get me some fries.

The only vehicles the RB will fit in is the 240. The 'other' Skyline engine is the SR20DET, and you can put that into a lot of things, even an Xterra. But then you have a turbo 4 banger that'll spit out a whopping 235hp stock. Then you can upgrade that (SAFC, JW computer, cams, boost controller, etc.) and get around 250hp & 260'lb of torque (but that's up here at altitude, and after the dyno tune, stock computer).

Save your pennies, buy the '05 and get it all at once, with a warranty.

Re: NOS systems - 27/01/05 02:32 AM

Why do you think the engine can't handle the NOS?
Isn't this the same engine that has a SuperCharger option? Obviously it can handle a 50HP boost right?

Re: NOS systems - 27/01/05 09:43 AM

ITS CALLED NITROUS!!!!!1111*&#uvIUOIHOSDFAFHH

ok now that i got that outta they way.

the engine will handle it. if you really want it do research elsewhere as that info is probably not on this website. if you have no idea what youre doing and hook it up and just spray away you WILL blow up the engine. nitrous will backfire inside the engine if not used properly. that being said, i reccomend you do not nitrous your X unless you did enough research. there are plenty of books out there, go buy one...

Re: NOS systems - 27/01/05 10:19 AM

Nitrous won't backfire into the engine. It will cause the engine the run lean, as the Nitrous itself isn't flamable. That may cause a backfire, but the Nitrous itself won't.

I've read the books, [Moses]so let it be written, so let it be said.[/Moses]

One molecule of Nitrogen, two molecules of Oxygen.

Mix well with gasoline (or other flamable substance) and inject in healthy doses. Reccomend Valium to get the silly grin off your face when complete.

Re: NOS systems - 27/01/05 03:38 PM

I think the backfire remark was in reference to wet systems. The fuel & nitrous are mixed well before the valves, which is where the fuel on our trucks is injected. The danger is much like TBI injection, or carborated cars/trucks. The fuel & air are mixed aeveral inches from the engine, and travel down runners to the valves, hence there is more fuel/air to burn in a backfire. Possibly involving all 6 runners as all the air in the intake is mixed with fuel. The injection on our trucks limits the available fuel to small pockets around the valves. A backfire is not likely to involve more then one runner, as there is no fuel to propigate the burn from valve to valve.

What I want is someone to make new heads for the 3.3 that allows LPG direct injection. Can you say 110 octane!!

Re: NOS systems - 27/01/05 05:39 PM

Cyclemut, isn't it the RB26DETT (skyline twin turbo)? RB26DET is a single turbo engine.

Re: NOS systems - 27/01/05 06:33 PM

LMAO, I have used N2O for years on D-series honda motors with little to no problems. If a 1.6L honda can take a 100 shot, then the 3.3 should be good for atleast that. Some of you seem to forget the key to longevity in a modified engine is in the tuning.
Posted by: superjens

Re: NOS systems - 27/01/05 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by infinatenexus:
Some of you seem to forget the key to longevity in a modified engine is in the tuning.
Holy shit, I thought it was the maintenance. :rolleyes:

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 01:05 AM

anyway, enough with the side commentary that everybody has applied. Does anybody have any hardcore useful information?
Posted by: stormy

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 09:24 AM

I installed the NOS-05130 wet kit (75HP jetting) a few months ago and have not had issues. I installed it to add a little "fun factor" to the truck. The engine has handled it fine so far.

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 09:27 AM

My engine has about 95K on it now...

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
Once upon a time there was a guy on here with a yellow X that was running NOS. He was from Oregon and had paddle tires on his X. He had quite the set up with a Semi truck (yellow) and the whole scene. He was running NOS to get him up the sand hills on the beach (I think). Although he never mentioned engine failure or fatigue, he did say that he would go through 3 or 4 tie rods a day. He was probably lifted and did not have any upgraded steering.

Does anyone else remember any more details?

I have always thought if a NOS set up would be helpful in high elevations, SLC and Denver. Although expensive and very intense (engine controls etc.) the set up could work to compensate altitude and air mixtures. The engine is capable of producing more power at sea level than at altitude, therefore - why not?
Here's some pictures of that Xterra

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 09:55 AM

So you've been running NOS kit for 95k miles now? Approximately how many tanks you go through in a month (or week)? And how hard/long was the install?

Also, doesn't the S/C VG engine come with some forged internals, so couldn't the S/C engine take a bigger hit?
Posted by: Stonecoldchavez

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
So you've been running NOS kit for 95k miles now? Approximately how many tanks you go through in a month (or week)? And how hard/long was the install?

Also, doesn't the S/C VG engine come with some forged internals, so couldn't the S/C engine take a bigger hit?
Just_Blue,
His truck has 95K on it.....not the nitrous kit for 95K.

Stone

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 11:01 AM

Quote:

Only for about 3K miles. 95K is the total on the engine. I've gone through 1 1/3 +/- tanks. I didn't do the install myself.

I was having nismo cams (256/425), lifters, cam/crank seals, timing belt, ac/alt/ps belts, Tensioner Stud, Tensioner Spring, thermostat, Water Pump, and all gaskets replaced. I had them do it since they were doing all that other work.

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 11:43 AM

hell, am I the only one that's remotely interested in putting any NOS in there truck? I wanna put a damn 100 shot in the thing, and I'd like to hear some legitimate reasoning from anybody on why I shouldn't.
Posted by: NuDan

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 11:45 AM

Quote:
hell, am I the only one that's remotely interested in putting any NOS in there truck? I wanna put a damn 100 shot in the thing, and I'd like to hear some legitimate reasoning from anybody on why I shouldn't.
I thought you were getting a Lexus?.
Posted by: Stonecoldchavez

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 11:48 AM

stormy,

How does your truck run with the motor mods w/o the NOS?

May I ask how much that ran you?

thanks,
Stone

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 11:56 AM

why shouldn't you do it? because its pointless unless you are racing or duning i guess...

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 12:18 PM

Here a few things that you will HAVE to do if you plan on running N2O:

You will have to pull back your timing,

You will have to run premium unleaded.

DO NOT spray below 3000RPM, with a wet kit spray u fuel into your intake manifold at too low a rpm the velocity of air is not traveling fast enough to pull the fuel in too so it will puddle in your intake manifold and explode

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a NX TPS switch, it only opens the solenoids at wide open throttle so u make sure you are not running lean. I also hooked up a MSD rpm acivated window switch so the solenoids will only open between 3000-7000rpm's. The MSD sends out a 12V- ground signal out in the certain rpm range. The tps requires a 12V+ and 12V- to operate so I hooked the output of the MSD to the ground of the TPS so even if I am at wide open throttle I cannot spray until the MSD box reads between 3000-7000rpm, this is a failsafe way to ensure safety for u and your motor.

Have your car dyno tuned to ensure your air/fuel ratio is within an acceptable range

Buy colder spark plugs

I have run it for years on Honda’s, and they aren't built nearly as stout as the 3.3 in our trucks.

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:
stormy,

How does your truck run with the motor mods w/o the NOS?

May I ask how much that ran you?

thanks,
Stone
The truck runs great. The cams didn't do as much as I had hoped, but I did notice a difference. My guess is like 10 real hp (not like an intake 10 hp gain) Mainly notice it going uphills. A lot less effort to move the truck. One hill by my house I always take in third gear with the gas pedal 3/4 to the floor. Now, less than 1/2 to the floor to get the same acceleration uphill. If I could do it over, mostlikly would have gone with bigger cams. The plus is that with the 256/425 cam, the idle is perfect. On very cold days (below 10 degree days)it can be rough until it warms up. I haven't had any emission lights go on as of yet.

My setup before the cams/NOS: Stillen intake, flowmaster 50 series single/dual system, removed the clutch fan and have a flex-a-lite installed, 8.5mm wires.

I had the cam/crank seals, timing belt, ac/alt/ps belts, Tensioner Stud, Tensioner Spring, thermostat (went with the t-stat from the SC - runs 10 degrees cooler), Water Pump, cams (256/425), lifters, and all gaskets replaced, NOS (p/n nos-05130) fogger system installed, Filled the NOS tank (10lbs).
Total parts and labor/tuning(not including cams, lifter, t-stat, and NOS kit)
$1587.94

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 12:34 PM

Quote:

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a NX TPS switch,
If you are referring to the RPM switch (15879NOS) that NOS offers, it doesn't work with our ignition system.

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NuDan:
Quote:
[b]hell, am I the only one that's remotely interested in putting any NOS in there truck? I wanna put a damn 100 shot in the thing, and I'd like to hear some legitimate reasoning from anybody on why I shouldn't.
I thought you were getting a Lexus?.[/b]
I was simply thinking about it, but listening to everybody and their logic made me change my mind. I figured I might as well try to make the X as efficient as I can, and probably apply some of those "pay for my gas bitch" techniques to my friends.

Quote:
Here a few things that you will HAVE to do if you plan on running N2O:

You will have to pull back your timing,

You will have to run premium unleaded.

DO NOT spray below 3000RPM, with a wet kit spray u fuel into your intake manifold at too low a rpm the velocity of air is not traveling fast enough to pull the fuel in too so it will puddle in your intake manifold and explode

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a NX TPS switch, it only opens the solenoids at wide open throttle so u make sure you are not running lean. I also hooked up a MSD rpm acivated window switch so the solenoids will only open between 3000-7000rpm's. The MSD sends out a 12V- ground signal out in the certain rpm range. The tps requires a 12V+ and 12V- to operate so I hooked the output of the MSD to the ground of the TPS so even if I am at wide open throttle I cannot spray until the MSD box reads between 3000-7000rpm, this is a failsafe way to ensure safety for u and your motor.

Have your car dyno tuned to ensure your air/fuel ratio is within an acceptable range

Buy colder spark plugs

I have run it for years on Honda’s, and they aren't built nearly as stout as the 3.3 in our trucks.
Anyway, on to the NOS. infinatenexus you say that I'll have to pull back my timing? Explain how I'd pull that off? (piggyback ECU?)

Allready running premium...

You also say that I can't spray below 3,000 RPM because the air won't be at a high enough velocity? I understand how that would apply to a NA engine, but my engine is S/C, so I'm simply guessing that the same wouldn't apply.

Colder spark plugs? What?

Anyway, thanks for the information!

Re: NOS systems - 28/01/05 03:57 PM

Why not just start with a smaller pully for your sc and see if you like the extra boost? You really won't have to worry about timming and being above a certain rpm

Re: NOS systems - 29/01/05 09:52 AM

ya, I'm going to start with a S/C pulley, then go from their. Think the engine can take the pulley and a 75 shot of NOS?

Re: NOS systems - 29/01/05 02:52 PM

Quote:
Cyclemut, isn't it the RB26DETT (skyline twin turbo)? RB26DET is a single turbo engine.
Correct actully, the DETT. Sorry 'bout that.

There is a DET kit, to go to single massive turbo.

Re: NOS systems - 29/01/05 09:34 PM

someone in my town, has a white xterra(all plastic painted white to match), i think its a 2001, and anyways, hes running a 50 shot of nitrous...and hes had it for a few years now(i think). i dont know how well its worked out for him.

i think its just a waste of money, and why would you use it on an xterra? save that crap for cars.

Re: NOS systems - 30/01/05 06:40 AM

My truck is paid for so I guess I can risk a shot of nitrous every once in a while. It won't be any good trying to cruise up a hill but it will sure help on a highway entrance ramp.

I see the NOS-5130 sells for $600. Anyone know where online they are cheaper?

I'd like to try installing it myself. Is there a plate that installs on the intake or does it require drilling and tapping some holes for nozzles? The former is a simple afternoon job, the latter would require pulling the intake and could take a while.

Re: NOS systems - 30/01/05 10:08 AM

most importantly, does anybody know if the VG33 S/C engine could take the 9-11 PSI, AND shot of NOS?

Re: NOS systems - 30/01/05 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Quote:
[b]Cyclemut, isn't it the RB26DETT (skyline twin turbo)? RB26DET is a single turbo engine.
Correct actully, the DETT. Sorry 'bout that.

There is a DET kit, to go to single massive turbo.

[/b]
That kit looks pretty nice (look at the size of the damn turbine!).

Going off the topic a little...
However in my opinion a bi-turbo system would be more effective. You have a smaller turbine that spins up to speed faster at low RPM and then you have the big one kick in once you are up to speed. That somewhat reduces the turbo lag, as opposed to when you just have a one massive turbine installed.
I understand the engine is obviously tuned (prior the DET conversion) but I still would expect a pretty decent lag before the turbine kicks in. What do you thinkg, Cyclemut, wouldn't a bi-turbo be a little more effective in this case?

Re: NOS systems - 30/01/05 02:53 PM

It would be, but the problem with the dual turbo setup is that the smaller turbine will end spending most of it's life at full rpm. While it doesn't sound bad, since it's fully lubricated and such, the heat that it generates for itself will take it's toll on the smaller unit, and will end up causing the small snail to be replaced incredibly soon (or rebuilt). Nice for a race car, that gets rebuilt every so often anyway. Not for the daily driver.

Running two of the same size turbos will get the life span back up. But you still have the nominal lag associated with a turbo. You just have two turbos now.

One big spinner will give you lag, but if it's a ball bearing unit, with all the trimmings, then the lag would be back down to what the two smaller ones would be. Then you could have the massive compression of the bigger unit, reliability of one turbo and still get huge gains.

I'd go twin with two banks (V6) but single with the inline of the RB series.

Re: NOS systems - 30/01/05 03:33 PM

I'd run 2 big turbos, and force a 100% increase in the high rpm range... That'd be fun...

Anyway, Cyclemut, youre a Nissan Technician. How much pressure can the VG33 engine take before we run into problems? We know that you can run 9-11 psi on it with no problems. And we know that you can shoot the N/A engine with a 75 shot with no problems. But think we can add the two together? Or you think the engine will give out? I wanna see how "bullet proof" this engine really is...

Re: NOS systems - 31/01/05 08:44 AM

well? anybody got any answer to my question?

Re: NOS systems - 31/01/05 09:50 AM

Sorry dude, I was ice racing yesterday, then went to dinner with the girl.

I'm not sure how much it'd take without taking a dump.

I'd say with the internals of the S/C, that it may take a 50, but I don't want to install an engine in my truck. Perhaps a 75, if it took it, then I'd definately stay there.

100 shot on the N/A might be pushing the envelope, but it might take it a while to actually show the excess harshness.

Re: NOS systems - 31/01/05 12:31 PM

I don't really know that many specifics regarding engines, but if there's anybody out there that can enlightin me on my question, that'd be great.

What engine components would be the first to give out with 9-11 PSI & NOS on the engine?

I'm thinking that if they're some simple parts that maybe I could beef the specific components so that the engine could take more. Once again, I don't fully understand how the specifics of an engine works, so spare me the flaming of calling me a retard, and if you could answer the question then please do.
Thanks alot Cyclemut!

Re: NOS systems - 31/01/05 06:39 PM

Well if you go lean you will burn a hole right through the top of your piston. Barring that, a whole slew of things can go. The thing you have to keep in mind is the cylinder pressure goes up as the amount of boost/nitrous increases. If you're lucky, you will blow a head gasket. You could probably blast the top rings, shatter a piston, throw a rod, or blow a hole in a cylinder. I doubt you could stuff enough air into the 3.3 to blow the crankshaft out the oil pan. So essentially the weak points would be just about everything below the heads. Of course, there isn't a guarantee of anything above the block either.

The key here is moderation. Remember Grasshopper... the louder the bang, the more expensive the fix.
Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: NOS systems - 31/01/05 09:35 PM

Quote:
Remember Grasshopper... the louder the bang, the more expensive the fix.
That is an awesome quote. I am going to have to remember that one!!! laugh

The only motor my friend has used nitrous on was his well built mustang. He was able to use a 150hp shot, prbably because it had TRW forged pistons, and forged crank and A TON of extra fuel to burn when the nitrous was used (secondary fuel pump on a switch).
Damn was it scary when that was used.
Nothing like spinning out at 55 mph because the car broke traction when the nitrous kicked in.

I've raced a couple of cars with nitrous and it works really well on a nicely built engine. The cars I raced were mainly late model camaros and mustangs. Those were the only cars that would pull up next to my Grand National wanting to race.

I think Nitrous on an X is kinda silly, since I've rarley, if ever gone full throttle while offroad.
If you are going full throttle, time for some transfer case gears (or skids laugh ).

Re: NOS systems - 01/02/05 01:25 PM

okay, seems like NOS for me is a lost cause... I definately don't want to blow the engine, and nobody seems like they've tested the strength of the engine. Toyota tests they're engines... Wish Nissan would do the same...
Posted by: ButterBean

Re: NOS systems - 01/02/05 01:52 PM

Quote:
okay, seems like NOS for me is a lost cause... I definately don't want to blow the engine, and nobody seems like they've tested the strength of the engine. Toyota tests they're engines... Wish Nissan would do the same...
You could always test it and let us know

Re: NOS systems - 01/02/05 03:06 PM

Quote:

Remember Grasshopper... the louder the bang, the more expensive the fix.

-------------------------------------------------

That is an awesome quote. I am going to have to remember that one!!!

I'm glad you liked it.

Re: NOS systems - 01/02/05 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stormy:
Quote:
[b]
I would HIGHLY recommend buying a NX TPS switch,
If you are referring to the RPM switch (15879NOS) that NOS offers, it doesn't work with our ignition system.[/b]
TPS= throttle positioning switch. It goes on the throttle body.

Re: NOS systems - 01/02/05 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ButterBean:
Quote:
[b]okay, seems like NOS for me is a lost cause... I definately don't want to blow the engine, and nobody seems like they've tested the strength of the engine. Toyota tests they're engines... Wish Nissan would do the same...
You could always test it and let us know[/b]
That makes sense ButterBean, cause you know I'm a multi-national multi-billion corporation that just simply has a bunch of test Xterra's. I wish I could....

Re: NOS systems - 01/02/05 03:09 PM

Quote:
I'd run 2 big turbos, and force a 100% increase in the high rpm range... That'd be fun...

Anyway, Cyclemut, youre a Nissan Technician. How much pressure can the VG33 engine take before we run into problems? We know that you can run 9-11 psi on it with no problems. And we know that you can shoot the N/A engine with a 75 shot with no problems. But think we can add the two together? Or you think the engine will give out? I wanna see how "bullet proof" this engine really is...
The primary reason to run Nitrous in conjunction with a turbo is to allow a smaller motor spool a large turbo at a lower RPM, or to cool the intake charge to prevent detonation. I have used a 35 dry shot on Hondas for years in order to bring the inlet temperatures down.

Re: NOS systems - 01/02/05 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
I think Nitrous on an X is kinda silly, since I've rarley, if ever gone full throttle while offroad.
If you are going full throttle, time for some transfer case gears (or skids laugh ).
When did anyone say they were using it off road?

Re: NOS systems - 01/02/05 09:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
[b]I think Nitrous on an X is kinda silly, since I've rarley, if ever gone full throttle while offroad.
When did anyone say they were using it off road?[/b]
lol, from what I understand it's illegal to use NOS on the street. But than again, that's what I plan to do. Now I can't wait for all the losers to flame me!!! Hey! listen to me! I'm gonna put NOS on my Xterra, and run 9's on a quarter mile!!! That piss you off Xterra owners???

Re: NOS systems - 02/02/05 06:23 AM

Quote:
Hey! listen to me! I'm gonna put NOS on my Xterra, and run 9's on a quarter mile!!! That piss you off Xterra owners???
No, that won't piss anybody off. That will make us laugh. Dumbass. An Xterra isn't going to be a 9 second car in a quarter mile, with or without nitrous. Lets say you get a 100 shot in there. That puts you, still, at under 300 hp to the rear wheels. You think 300 hp in a 4,000 lb rig is going to get you into the 9s? Maybe into the 11s...

Re: NOS systems - 02/02/05 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
[b]Hey! listen to me! I'm gonna put NOS on my Xterra, and run 9's on a quarter mile!!! That piss you off Xterra owners???
No, that won't piss anybody off. That will make us laugh. Dumbass. An Xterra isn't going to be a 9 second car in a quarter mile, with or without nitrous. Lets say you get a 100 shot in there. That puts you, still, at under 300 hp to the rear wheels. You think 300 hp in a 4,000 lb rig is going to get you into the 9s? Maybe into the 11s...[/b]
You know what, your right... I should go lift my Xterra, put on some big tires, and just try to be like an actual offroading vehicle. Or maybe I should stay with the whole NOS idea, go over 100 on the highway, slightly mention it on this forum and get spammed and lectured by a bunch of people that feel absolutely obligated to inform me of they're bullcrap theories. Spare me the drama and shut the fuck up laugh

Re: NOS systems - 02/02/05 05:32 PM

read me

Re: NOS systems - 02/02/05 07:09 PM

OK now kids, let's keep it clean.

Re: NOS systems - 02/02/05 07:14 PM

Quote:
OK now kids, let's keep it clean.
My mother told me not to talk to strangers

Re: NOS systems - 02/02/05 07:37 PM

Quote:
Or maybe I should stay with the whole NOS idea, go over 100 on the highway, slightly mention it on this forum and get spammed and lectured by a bunch of people that feel absolutely obligated to inform me of they're bullcrap theories
dont think im flamin cuz im not, but i dont know much about nitrous but its your truck, do as you please, i'd just like to say, go ahead and go over 100 on the highway...you know its an SUV right? it can go fast if you push it...but nitro, rims and subs are gonna be wasted when you roll it over because you had to abruptly turn to avoid something...just my .02

Re: NOS systems - 03/02/05 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mudx4x4:
when you roll it over because you had to abruptly turn to avoid something...just my .02
My X will not go over 95MPH before the limiter kicks in. I wonder how this would affect a NOS boost?

Re: NOS systems - 03/02/05 10:23 AM

I hope you are not serious about using NOS on the stock X. You do know you will blow the motor for sure. The block is not setup for that. But hey, if you want to learn the hard way, it's your truck not mine. Good luck, you will need it.

Re: NOS systems - 03/02/05 06:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Hey! listen to me! I'm gonna put NOS on my Xterra, and run 9's on a quarter mile!!! That piss you off Xterra owners???
No, that won't piss anybody off. That will make us laugh. Dumbass. An Xterra isn't going to be a 9 second car in a quarter mile, with or without nitrous. Lets say you get a 100 shot in there. That puts you, still, at under 300 hp to the rear wheels. You think 300 hp in a 4,000 lb rig is going to get you into the 9s? Maybe into the 11s...[/b]
More like 800Hp to get a 4,000 pound vehicle to run 11's.

Re: NOS systems - 03/02/05 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XTERRANJJOE:
I hope you are not serious about using NOS on the stock X. You do know you will blow the motor for sure. The block is not setup for that. But hey, if you want to learn the hard way, it's your truck not mine. Good luck, you will need it.
So enlighten me, what dose the block have to do with any of it? Do you have any research to back up your statement?

Re: NOS systems - 03/02/05 07:00 PM

Quote:
Anyway, on to the NOS. infinatenexus you say that I'll have to pull back my timing? Explain how I'd pull that off? (piggyback ECU?)

Allready running premium...

You also say that I can't spray below 3,000 RPM because the air won't be at a high enough velocity? I understand how that would apply to a NA engine, but my engine is S/C, so I'm simply guessing that the same wouldn't apply.

Colder spark plugs? What?

Anyway, thanks for the information!
I am not that familiar with the ECU on the X-terra. I know on my Honda's the ECU is set up to retard the timing as the boost/N2O level increases, it helps to ward off detonation.

Yes, you can't spray under 3,000 RPM's, there is simply not enough air flow to carry the extra fuel + N20 and maintain the proper atomization.

The colder spark plugs also help create a buffer to prevent detonation. Basically its detonation in most cases that kills a motor while running N2O not the actual power it creates.

Re: NOS systems - 08/02/05 09:49 AM

Research? lol
I tell you what, you put NOS in your stock X, and get back to me with the results.

Re: NOS systems - 08/02/05 09:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
You know what, your right... I should go lift my Xterra, put on some big tires, and just try to be like an actual offroading vehicle. Or maybe I should stay with the whole NOS idea, go over 100 on the highway, slightly mention it on this forum and get spammed and lectured by a bunch of people that feel absolutely obligated to inform me of they're bullcrap theories. Spare me the drama and shut the fuck up laugh [/b]
Hey. Do whatever you please. So far, acting like a dumb ass is all you've shown you can do. By all means, make your X into a 9s car. Good luck to 'ya. But you've been watching way too much Fast & Furious, if you think you can do it w/ just some nitrous in a 4,000 lb rig.

You'd have a better chance of launching an Xterra to the moon...

Re: NOS systems - 08/02/05 10:15 AM

What does the block have to do with NOS? Everything! Why in the world would you put NOS to a stock block? Do you actually think the stock pistons, rings, etc... can handle it? I think not. Yeah maybe for a short time, but it will sure put some serious wear and tear on the motor.

But what do i know.You seem to be the expert. So go on with your bad self. Hook it up.
Go PIMP your ride. lol [LOL]

Re: NOS systems - 08/02/05 05:04 PM

Quote:
What does the block have to do with NOS? Everything! Why in the world would you put NOS to a stock block? Do you actually think the stock pistons, rings, etc... can handle it? I think not. Yeah maybe for a short time, but it will sure put some serious wear and tear on the motor.

But what do i know.You seem to be the expert. So go on with your bad self. Hook it up.
Go PIMP your ride. lol [LOL]
You are not referring to the block, you are referring to the internal components, They are completely different dimensions of discussion. I am willing to bet that with proper tuning, the 3.3 could take a 100 Shot DP(Direct Port) with no ill side effects, for an very extended amount of time. Once again, proper tuning is the key to longevity. If you don’t cheap out, get a programmable engine management system, and utilize a “nitrous controler”

I find it amusing, you chastise me, yet you have no facts to back it up. I am no “expert” on N2O but I have used it off and on for about 15 years, how much first hand experience do you have with it?

Re: NOS systems - 12/02/05 03:55 PM

You are right. Why are people chastizing you without facts or information. NOS has been done successfully, without toasting the engine, for a boost of power off road. Check out some other sites on Xterras where they will answer the question based on fact and experience. Not superficial knowledge or false beliefs. Hell with this attitude, we would still be riding horses and discussing whether hay or oats make them fart better. Just answer the damn question.

Re: NOS systems - 12/02/05 08:12 PM

The first question I always ask when somebody asks about adding nitrous to a car is "What purpose do you want it for?".

There are stupid uses like "I'm sick of getting beat at stoplights" and better ones like "I'm just a mod-aholic". smile

Re: NOS systems - 13/02/05 04:08 PM

Why you dont use NOS

Re: NOS systems - 14/02/05 07:45 AM

Ummm... so whats the story behind that? NO2 doesn't just blow up without a spark.

Re: NOS systems - 14/02/05 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ummm... so whats the story behind that? NO2 doesn't just blow up without a spark.
He left his bottle heater on. Which built up pressure

Re: NOS systems - 14/02/05 02:38 PM

He must have installed the heater WITHOUT the thermostat... If thats the case, then it is user error, not the no2 by itself.

Bottle heater instruction

Re: NOS systems - 15/02/05 05:22 AM

Quote:
He left his bottle heater on. Which built up pressure
All that proves is that he is an idiot.

Re: NOS systems - 15/02/05 06:07 AM

Again, what is the purpose of useing NOS on a 4,000 LB truck? Wat do you think you will accomplish?
Waste of money, and time.

Re: NOS systems - 15/02/05 06:32 AM

Quote:
Again, what is the purpose of useing NOS on a 4,000 LB truck? Wat do you think you will accomplish?
Waste of money, and time.
With that thought process, why do people install intakes and exhaust systems? With the two install together, you might get 10hp gain... if that. An NO2 kit is roughly the same cost. A flip of a switch when you want the extra pop and its there. It adds quite a bit of real power to the truck.

Re: NOS systems - 15/02/05 09:38 AM

I don't understand why everybody on this forum has to keep on reiterating the fact of the Xterra's curb weight as a reason to why anybody that's willing to bump the hp is crazy. Simply put I want more power, but I want it on specific occasions.

This is the exact reason why I don't like the people on this site. Instead of giving valid information to my question, everybody would much rather give irrelevant opinions. The whole point of a car site's existence is to better the car's performance in all aspects, but how are we going to better the car's performance if nobody is willing to give any valid information. This topic could have been killed pages back, but nobody seems to be willing enough to give off any factual evidence of the Xterra's breaking point.

Maybe I'm the only one noticing, but it seems that 50% of the information that is given on this site is motivated by asinine behavior. 50% of the time somebody gave some information was because some fool on the internet called his bluff, cussed him out on the topic, made him look like an idiot, which only motivated the other to finally whip out his limitless information based on the topic, only in an effort to make the other look like an idiot. Instead of going through this process why can't we just give off factual information and stop it with the opinions.

I guarantee that when most of you people signed on to this site you were thinking
"I wonder how I can improve my Xterra"
Some of you may have been thinking within the area of offroading, some within sound systems, and some within simple cosmetics. But the truth is that we all signed onto this site bearing the same thought of improvement of our vehicles. So if we all came onto the same site with relatively the same thought, then why are we all so critical of each others wishes? I'm sure many of you probably consider it stupid to put NOS on the Xterra, but trust me your opinion on that subject is just as strong as my opinion on raising an Xterra. I could lay out my reasons onto why I consider it so pointless, but I don't. I try to give off the most information that I have based on that topic in hopes that I can better ones dreams of what he wants to be done on his Xterra. So in my effort to better yalls wishes why don't we all do the same to each other? If you don't understand why somebody is doing something to their vehicle, then don't critic it with opinions, but rather give off the most information that you know regarding the topic, and understand that that person is asking that question because he came onto this site with the same thoughts as you. "I wonder how I can better the Xterra".

Now if you still want reasons as to why I want NOS on my truck than here they are.

- I'd rather pay some 500 bucks for some 100 horsepower when I need it, than put so much money into intake/exhaust for only some 10 RWHP. Logically it makes sense, I get more power for less money, all I want to know is:

1. If it's possible to put NOS on the X?
2. If so, how big of a shot of NOS can the X hold?

I'm know I have other questions, but I'd first like to see factual proof of answers to my questions.

Anyway, I'm off to go write an english paper smile

Later yall

Re: NOS systems - 15/02/05 12:51 PM

Quote:

1. If it's possible to put NOS on the X?
2. If so, how big of a shot of NOS can the X hold?
Yes it is possible

I installed the NOS-05130 wet kit (75HP jetting) with no issues at all.
Posted by: BoneCrusher

Re: NOS systems - 15/02/05 01:27 PM

Just_Blue

I think with a NOS system your gonna need to do the exhaust and intake as well.

I think anyway Im not sure. Cause with all that extra power on demand your gonna need somewhere for the exhaust to go and your going to need a bigger inrush of air.

Re: NOS systems - 15/02/05 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneCrusher:
Just_Blue

I think with a NOS system your gonna need to do the exhaust and intake as well.

I think anyway Im not sure. Cause with all that extra power on demand your gonna need somewhere for the exhaust to go and your going to need a bigger inrush of air.
You don't "need" to do it, but it is a good ideal.

Re: NOS systems - 15/02/05 10:27 PM

I agreee... It's not required but would only help the system out... and the fine people at Holley/NOS did tell me that wink

Re: NOS systems - 16/02/05 01:37 AM

wow, i'm amazed at the quick and helpful responses. Thanks guys! And thanks whoever e-mailed me!

Re: NOS systems - 16/02/05 06:18 AM

Quote:
And thanks whoever e-mailed me!
No problem...

Re: NOS systems - 17/02/05 11:09 AM

Quote:
Actually Nitrous isn't flammable. Would even blow with a spark. Nitrous is an oxidizer. The oxygen density in a molecule of N2O is higher then in air compressd by a strong blower. Throw in enough fuel to be stoic and you have a much bigger bang.

This issue with nitrous is you introduce a piss-ton of power. Nitrous is a torque builder. Regardless where you are in the power band, you can add a ton of torque with a nitrous shot. If you're too low and the engine isn't free to rev, you can apply enough power to the piston that things start to break. However, this does not mean you can't boost at low rpm. I have seen several systems that are progressive nitrous. Most are direct port and use auxillary injectors to basicly run the nitrous in tandem to the MPI fueling. The amount of nitrous is controlled by a computer reading the same sensors that are determining fuel injector pulse width. So at low rpms, a small amount of nitrous is being injected. Enough to boost the torqe and supply a good power increase, but not enough to break something. As rpm increases, the amount of nitrous increases.

These systems are costly and very advanced. They also require a large tank as they are not small single shots used a a/4 mile at a time. So in short you can build a nitrous system to do what you want it to do. You just have to know what you're doing or find someone that does.

The only bad thing I do see about the X when it comes to nitrous, which will be a MAJOR problem, is that it's DIS. Since it uses a coilpacks controlled by the ECU, you can't install an aftermarket ignition controll or even higher output coil. To safely run nitrous you really need a stronger spark controlled by an ignition that you can manually, on the fly, retard the spark timing. Running too advanced spark timing while spraying can lead to detonation which is very very bad. You also lack a way of bypassing the stock rev limiter. The stock limiter works by cutting fuel to random cylindars. A digital ignition will just cut spark. Hitting the limiter and cutting fuel while spraying will in effect cause the worst possible lean case you can imagine. This equates to holes burned in cylindars.

So nitrous in an X-terra could be done. It could be done to assist in even rock crawling and boosting low end torque. However you won't be able to just throw on a dry kit with a WOT or "go" switch and call it a day. It will take planning and money, but if done right will leave you very happy.

Re: NOS systems - 17/02/05 03:36 PM

sounds pretty risky... How do the Xterra's that have allready had this done not having these problems?

Re: NOS systems - 17/02/05 03:46 PM

they probably weren't running a strong enough shot to cause issues, or just hadn't beat on it long enough to break something yet. The x also has a knock sensor which will retard timing when it detects detonation, so that is helping but not perfect. I'm also willing to bet they were pretty much just running top end spray. SO they had good acceleration, but the nitrous wasn't really helping with the off roading aspect of driving.

Re: NOS systems - 21/02/05 06:00 AM

Stormy
Where is the nozzle plumbed into on your nitrous system? Is it in the plastic tube on the intake?

Re: NOS systems - 21/02/05 02:42 PM

Quote:
Stormy
Where is the nozzle plumbed into on your nitrous system? Is it in the plastic tube on the intake?
I removed the resonator box and capped and sealed the hole. I then used the capped hole for the nozzle. Worked out pretty good.

Re: NOS systems - 19/06/05 08:33 PM

If you guys are looking for a fast suv, the xterra is not the way to go, get a 98 jeep 5.9L V8, that car hauls balls.. and its all wheel drive. Or if u want to stay on the street a little, Get a 92 or 93 GMC cyclone... I thiinnk those are the fastest stock suvs out there but maybe not.. xterras are not made for speed, but I know what you are all tlking about when u say that you want to have a little extra boost when your out there, I do too