What's your MPG???

Posted by: Anonymous

What's your MPG??? - 12/01/06 02:52 PM

I thought with all threads going around about bad gas mileage, we need one solely that states what your MPG is so we can truly compare without all the whining and complaining in the middle! You can list your driving style as well. For those who are just guessing what their MPG is or are not sure how to calculate, try using this site: http://www.royalbank.com/cgi-bin/carloan/gas.pl
It's set up for Kilometers and litres for us Canadian boys, so for you Americans do the following, so you can use the site.
To convert your miles into Kilometers, multiply your miles by 1.61 and to convert your gallons into litres, multiply your gallons by 3.78. Easy enough eh?

I’ll start with my MPG. I’m currently getting about 17MPG or 16.95 to be exact. That’s driving pretty relaxed and shifting at 2500 each time and 5 gear at anything over 45MPH
My Ride: 2002 XE with 89,000KM or ~56,000 miles and 31” REVO tires.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/01/06 03:48 PM

I get 14-15 stayin under 2000-2500... all city driving with traffic both ways. and i wouldnt want any other car

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/01/06 03:53 PM

WHEN WILL IT END.... no more of these threads please! We all get shitty milage (except for TJ smile ), between 13 and 20 mpg. Lets go a week beofre a new mpg thread starts up k? [ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/01/06 04:36 PM

I get approx 0.1015625 miles per ounce in the winter and 0.1484375 MPO in the summer. [Wave]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/01/06 04:47 PM

On my last tank, I just got 0.0043893 miles/milliliter.

Hope this helps.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/01/06 05:08 PM

19 Summer
17 Winter

23.7 Best
12-something last winter

I didn't know that my truck was so underpowered and got such poor gas mileage till I started hangin' around here. frown

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/01/06 05:11 PM

Quote:
shifting at 2500 each time and 5 gear at anything over 45MPH
I didn't know Canuckistanians drive like old women, but appearantly they do..
[LOL]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/01/06 05:21 PM

i get anywhere between 16-17.5mpg in the summer and as low as 13mpg in the winter, depending on driving style with a 5spd....and again, shifting at 1000rpm or 2000rpm isn't gonna save you ANY gas, you can shift at as low an RPM as you want, but if you shift at a low RPM and mash on the gas, theres not gonna be any power there to get the truck going, your only boggin the engine, so your only wasting gas, i shift at whatever RPM i feel necessary during different driving styles, but on the highway i keep it below 3000rpm, usually around 2700rpm

Re: What's your MPG??? - 13/01/06 07:23 AM

Quote:
I didn't know Canuckistanians drive like old women, but appearantly they do..
I didn't know your jokes were so ball bustin funny. What else you got in the bag fella? [Finger] By the look of your truck you've given up on obtaining maximum MPG with the lift and tires. But hey i'm sure with your windows plastered full of stickers you've obviously gained some major horsepower [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/01/06 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kowalsy:
I thought with all threads going around about bad gas mileage, we need one solely that states what your MPG is so we can truly compare without all the whining and complaining in the middle! You can list your driving style as well. For those who are just guessing what their MPG is or are not sure how to calculate, try using this site: http://www.royalbank.com/cgi-bin/carloan/gas.pl
It's set up for Kilometers and litres for us Canadian boys, so for you Americans do the following, so you can use the site.
To convert your miles into Kilometers, multiply your miles by 1.61 and to convert your gallons into litres, multiply your gallons by 3.78. Easy enough eh?

I’ll start with my MPG. I’m currently getting about 17MPG or 16.95 to be exact. That’s driving pretty relaxed and shifting at 2500 each time and 5 gear at anything over 45MPH

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/01/06 11:28 AM

Quote:
I didn't know your jokes were so ball bustin funny.
smile
Sorry, I'll just type slower.. You know, I had to buy a lot of stuff to get those stickers and quite frankly, I think that whole thing about stickers give you HP is a bunch of BS.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/01/06 11:30 AM

I just got my 2002 SE/SC 4X4
What is the capacity of the tank?.....
I read something that stated 75 Litres - 19.4 gallons ?

I'm getting about 280 km/fill up. I was hoping that it was a small tank but if in fact it is a 75L tank then my truck is a suckin' the juice big time!

Sorry for the MPG whine but hey I'm new to the scene ( 2 weeks )
Anyone....

QUOTE]Originally posted by kowalsy:

[/QUOTE]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/01/06 11:47 AM

Quote:
19.4 gallons ?
Exactamundo!

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/01/06 01:15 PM

This whole mpg extravaganza just stresses me out, so i've stopped checking my fuel economy...why ruin a good thing, just enjoy your truck.

Don't underestimate the power of decals guys...i swear mine at least sounds faster now.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 16/01/06 11:28 AM

That seems a little low...I just got me 2003 SE/SC 4x4 and I'm getting around 400km per gas tank and that's with 80% (calm)city driving. I'm assuming your fill up to be around 70 litres?

Quote:
just got my 2002 SE/SC 4X4
What is the capacity of the tank?.....
I read something that stated 75 Litres - 19.4 gallons ?

I'm getting about 280 km/fill up. I was hoping that it was a small tank but if in fact it is a 75L tank then my truck is a suckin' the juice big time!

Sorry for the MPG whine but hey I'm new to the scene ( 2 weeks )
Anyone....

Re: What's your MPG??? - 16/01/06 01:25 PM

Im hitting 400k/per tank, city driving as well.

Hey Polak where are you from, BC or WA?

Re: What's your MPG??? - 16/01/06 02:33 PM

I'm from BC... currently in Greater Vancouver area but I may be moving to Vancouver Island this year smirk You?

Re: What's your MPG??? - 16/01/06 03:08 PM

I actually got 282 km's to my last tank. I stretched it to almost empty to see if the bottom third would last. It's my second fill since I bought it so I was wondering.
The truck sat in the lot for 5 months.... I wonder if there is something that could be done to improve my mileage?
It's in beautiful shape - 52000 km's. I bought it from the dealer who sold it originally read through all the records etc.
hmmmm.
Posted by: Canope

Re: What's your MPG??? - 17/01/06 04:58 PM

10. I hate all of you. Really. 2004, 7000 miles.

Thomas

Re: What's your MPG??? - 17/01/06 05:03 PM

I feel great! My X gets somewhere between 16 and 18. My boat gets 1.6. The kids boat ( they can't drive yet) which is towed with my X gets 3.0. It is not the MPG, it is the dollars per day vs. fun.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 21/01/06 08:23 AM

---I just put 184 miles on my '06MT

Re: What's your MPG??? - 21/01/06 08:26 AM

--I guess I hit the wrong button! To finish my previous post--Flowmasters series 50 cat-back exhaust, 90% freeway travel, my average was 17.8 mpg.-- [Spit] [Spit] JIMBO

Re: What's your MPG??? - 29/01/06 09:44 AM

05 SE 4x2 - My first full tank in the new car netted me 17.75 mpg with %80 highway driving and a light foot.

I love the power this thing has. I love gently accelerating past a ricer who from the sound of it obviously is giving it all she's got.... all while giving my son a bottle. It really ticks them off.

Eddie

Re: What's your MPG??? - 03/02/06 08:42 PM

Maybe i should read my manual, but i think im coming down with the lazy.

My MPG shows at 16.2-16.4 on average. I drove to Gilroy (central california) from the L.A. area and it registered 16.7. Should i be at like 22MPG on the highway or how does it all work?

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 04:54 AM

I got 17.09 Mpg on my last fill up, 90% City driving, 6-speed MT with 1,400 miles on it.
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Canope:

Thomas
Something's wrong somewhere - that's the lowest number I've seen on XOC.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 07:00 AM

Just clocked a 232 mile trip. Filled up a local station. Drove 232 miles. Returned back to same pump at same station and filled up again. Tank took exactly 10.84 gallons. That's 21.4 mpg! My X is a 2000 model, V6, auto tranny, 2wd, 72K miles. Drove at 60mph, no wind deflector, no crossbars. One thing to note as well...I did put in new NGK Iridium plugs and the X seems to like em. cool

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 08:16 AM

Seems to be a large discrepancy between trucks.
Huge difference from 10MPG to 20+. I know driving habits can be the main reason for this, but it still shouldn't that dramatic of a change.
The the fuel economy take a huge nose dive the older the X getsm even though they are still relativly newer trucks?
Posted by: Canope

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
Quote:
[b]10. I hate all of you. Really. 2004, 7000 miles.

Thomas
Something's wrong somewhere - that's the lowest number I've seen on XOC.[/b]
I had it checked at the dealer and all was fine. Last highway trip netted me a whopping 13. (216 miles, 16.5 gal) My 02 X gave me a steady 14. I drive the speed limit plus a couple extra but nothing hard on the X. I thing one thing that attributes to the big 10 is my work is less than 2 miles from home. It never gets the chance to warm up. I was hoping for more on the open road though. I actually cringe when I pull my camper...Single digits.

Still quite happy though, and lucky my work is close by. I spent about 1900 bucks on gas for the 8000 miles in a year. That beats 4200 bucks for gas if I worked 20 miles away.
Posted by: RJ

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kreep:
Seems to be a large discrepancy between trucks.
Huge difference from 10MPG to 20+. I know driving habits can be the main reason for this, but it still shouldn't that dramatic of a change.
The the fuel economy take a huge nose dive the older the X getsm even though they are still relativly newer trucks?
Mileage depends largly on where you drive. I used to get 14 to 15L / 100km back in Vancouver, now up here at 100 Mile House, in the cold and pushing through snow in 4wd cuts it down to 17 or so L/100.

BTW, the X might be a new truck but I believe the VG motor tech dates back to the 80's.
Posted by: OnlyOneDR

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 12:22 PM

Quote:

Thomas
Still better than my '69 Blazer, I think it gets 6-8 mpg. My Frontier adds your mileage to that (16-18mpg) usually.
Posted by: dezurtrat

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 12:25 PM

City: 17-18 mpg
Highway: 19 - 20 mpg

I'm easy on the throttle! laugh
Posted by: oleblue

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 05:32 PM

8 MPG, yes 8. Some times less. But 8 is the average I get....

...in 4L.

Else combined highway/city
17 MPG when temps are above 45.
15 MPG when temps are below 45.

But I sure love that 8MPG. laugh (Better than my Jeep ever did)
Posted by: TJ

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/02/06 06:56 PM

I average 20 mpg.

I have full armor and 3" SL/2" BL on 33x12.5's.

I took off the froo froo roof plastic crap.

I run full synthetic lubes, even wheel packings.

I keep the tires at about 36 psi.

I have a 5 spd.

I drive the load not the speedo.

I correct my mileage for the fact that my speedo and odometers are off due to the 33's vs stock tire diameters...if I don't correct for that, I'd think I went a shorter distance than I did between tanks, making me underestimate my mpg....

And I correct for the fact that if my speedometer is telling me I'm going 60 mph, I'm actually going 70 mph (GPS).

So - W/O correcting for the larger tires, I'd drive faster (Which lowers mpg by ALOT), and, insult to injury...I'd think I went fewer miles than I actually had driven (Which lowers what I THOUGHT the mpg was...).

laugh

Most of the people with really dismal mpg that I know forget that their speedometer is off....and drive as if the speedometer was right....killing their mpg.

laugh

For example, I have to multiply my miles and my speed by 1.17 to correct for the gauge errors...

If The speedo says I'm doing 60mph...I take that times 1.17 = 70 mph....and slow down if I wanted to actually go 60 mph....and

...If I get 308 miles on an 18 gallon fill up...I'd do the math and think I got 17 mpg...average for the board...but...

If I multiply the 308 by 1.17, I get more like 360 miles on that 18 gal fill up...or, about 20 mpg.

I keep track of mileage and gas used for work (I get reimbursed) laugh because I sort of off road for a living...or the fun part of it anyway....

So I have pretty accurate long term records...which I think are more accurate than a one tank measurement...as in having say a 20 thousand mile record that required 1,000 gallons of gas, etc.

I CAN drop my mpg down into the teens, even mid-teens, if I drive stupid.

laugh

Re: What's your MPG??? - 25/02/06 02:43 PM

I get 6552 Furlongs/Hogshead. You Canadians can keep your metric system.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 25/02/06 04:52 PM

Us Canadians and most of the world.
But you keep holding on to that yank, don't let anyone take that Imperial system away from you. It's what sets Americans apart from the lesser second rate countries.
U.S.A!! U.S.A!! U.S.A!!

Re: What's your MPG??? - 25/02/06 11:13 PM

12.8 average.

Whats wrong with my foot? LOL..

I've driven a few tanks never taking it over 2500R's, Light Throttle.

Other tanks I have been all over that go (slow) pedal and no difference. 230Mi from a literally topped off tank to when the gas light comes on. 260Mi and I had a half gallon left in the tank.

confused

Re: What's your MPG??? - 26/02/06 12:39 AM

Quote:
But you keep holding on to that yank, don't let anyone take that Imperial system away from you. It's what sets Americans apart from the lesser second rate countries.
U.S.A!! U.S.A!! U.S.A!!
hahaha classic [ThumbsUp]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 26/02/06 12:00 PM

i just squeezed 325 miles out of a full tank of gas this weekend. A first for me! i am extremely happy with that.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 26/02/06 01:09 PM

Yes, strangely my mileage just went up as well with the last tank of gast. I was able to get 16 mpg. Whoooo hooo!

Re: What's your MPG??? - 08/03/06 03:31 PM

Quote:
U.S.A!! U.S.A!! U.S.A!!
That was meant to be sarcastic... Apparently somewhere in between 50% tax and bilingual road signs you lost your sense of humor.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 08/03/06 05:27 PM

I use 21 gal/mile.

Sounds like you folks are doing great...

Re: What's your MPG??? - 09/03/06 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ndtireman:
Quote:
[b]Us Canadians and most of the world.
U.S.A!! U.S.A!! U.S.A!!
That was meant to be sarcastic... Apparently somewhere in between 50% tax and bilingual road signs you lost your sense of humor.[/b]
Bilingual road signs eh? And they say the American education system is going down the toilet.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/03/06 11:17 AM

I am able to drive however I want and no matter what I get 15mpg. Be it city or highway I am always getting 15.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/03/06 12:15 PM

12, no matter how i drive, so ive reverted back to my leadfooted ways. hopefullly with warmer temps that will go up a mile or two as i will soon be towing a lot

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/03/06 03:10 PM

i have 3,000 pounds of steel on my x, i also have 4 hood scoops mounted backwards, 3 rear spoilers also mounted backwards, 35 inch irok tires on 22inch rims, 6inch body lift, 5 inch suspension lift. i never change the oil, ever. and i drive like a maniac all the time, backwards.

i get 48 miles per gallon. :rolleyes:

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/03/06 06:07 PM

--on the way to the ASYLUM --JIMBO(you're friendly PSYCHO)-- [Spit] [Spit]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 14/04/06 11:02 PM

I hate to continue this discussion since so many here think mpg is a waste of time but I'm curious as to whether my mpg might go up over time? My Off Road is box stock, only 2000 miles, and I have about 42 psi in the tires for long trips. As you probably all know estimates are 16-21 for the 2nd gen but I'm only getting 15 hwy taking it easy on the gas. My Cherokee started out at 17 hwy and towards the end was getting 19 or so.
And I did use EPA estimates in my choice of vehicles. I tried to get something that balanced off-roadability and mpg. If I knew I was only going to get 15 rather than something like 18-19 I may have sacrificed off-roadability.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/04/06 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by socalmtber:
I hate to continue this discussion since so many here think mpg is a waste of time but I'm curious as to whether my mpg might go up over time? My Off Road is box stock, only 2000 miles, and I have about 42 psi in the tires for long trips. As you probably all know estimates are 16-21 for the 2nd gen but I'm only getting 15 hwy taking it easy on the gas. My Cherokee started out at 17 hwy and towards the end was getting 19 or so.
And I did use EPA estimates in my choice of vehicles. I tried to get something that balanced off-roadability and mpg. If I knew I was only going to get 15 rather than something like 18-19 I may have sacrificed off-roadability.
these are ALL hwy miles? are you doing 80+?

I get crappy city miles (12-13) because well, I live in LA (you could probably relate a bit). and I have a lead foot.

but on my last trip consisting primarily of hwy roads, I got 20. That was doing 65-75, using cruise whenever I could. I'm sure your X is capable of similar results.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/04/06 02:26 AM

Quote:
You should reconsider putting 42 PSI in your tires. That has to be over the rated maximum and you're begging for a blowout.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/04/06 10:05 AM

The weird thing is I'm getting around 15.2 mpg whether I'm going to work or out on the highway. I do find it hard to keep the X under 80mph when on the hwy because it's so smooth but the last time I drove down to Temecula I was mostly going 65. The next pure hwy miles that I do I'm going to concentrate on just cruising.

As far as PSI goes the tire max is listed as 44, and my friends all say to run the max if you're doing pure hwy driving if you don't mind the harshness.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/04/06 11:06 AM

Quote:

As far as PSI goes the tire max is listed as 44, and my friends all say to run the max if you're doing pure hwy driving if you don't mind the harshness.
Tire rating is one thing, vehicle specs are another. Since same tire can fit many other vehicles pressures will vary. Heavier vehicles will need higher pressure than lighter vehicles.

The Xterra does not weigh all that much comapred to full size trucks out there.

What you should look at is the plackard found inside of the glove compartment that states the proper tire pressure. I believe it states something along the lines of 28 lbs. or so.

Running too high of a pressure (42 is way high) will result in uneven and premature tire wear. Your tires will start to wear on the inside mostly instead of even wear. Traction is also sacrificed and chances of hydroplaning are higher if the tires are overinflated (or underinflated for that matter).

If you do mostly highway then it's o.k. to set the pressure a little bit above the rating indicated on the plackard but not by much.

When I was running stock tires I found out that around 30 psi in the front and about 29 or so in the rear worked quite well.

If you have time the best way to test the ultimate pressure is the chalk test. You apply chalk to section of the tire drive a few feet over a dark surface like a freshly coated asphalt. By looking at the tire and the mark on the ground you can see the contact patch and that way you can determine whether the pressure is too high or too low. Talk to TJ on here on more details regarding the mentioned test.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/04/06 11:23 AM

Thanks for the tire tutorial. 28 is definitely too low from reading the posts about the low tire pressure alarm, 30 seems to be the lowest you can run without tripping the low pressure alarm in cold weather.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 23/04/06 01:12 AM

I get 100 SPG (Smiles Per Gallon)! If I got anyhing less ... I'd walk.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 24/04/06 09:15 AM

I compiled a spreadsheet of my MPG's from basically January to April 2006. My average is 20.12 MPG, with a peak of around 21.6 MPG and a low of around 19. If interested I can pull the data to get actual numbers.

What's interesting is that while the price of gas has gone up since January, my MPG averages have gone down... So I'm increasingly paying more for fewer miles between refills. frown

I drive a 2005 6-speed M/T. I drive about 50/50 city / highway. Guessing that city driving averages around 40 MPH at 1500 RPM's flat. Highway is around 70 MPH at +/- 2000 RPM's flat. I use 87 regular (Texas) from Racetrac and QT gas stations.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 28/04/06 05:55 AM

Despite some folks not wanting to discuss the topic of MPG (with the price of gas going up as fast as it is and summer not yet really here) there seems to be quite a range in what people are seeing (12 to 20+ MPG). So, what the hell are folks doing that is getting them the 20+? confused

Re: What's your MPG??? - 28/04/06 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WombatZ14:
Despite some folks not wanting to discuss the topic of MPG (with the price of gas going up as fast as it is and summer not yet really here) there seems to be quite a range in what people are seeing (12 to 20+ MPG). So, what the hell are folks doing that is getting them the 20+? confused
driving slow, i drive about 45miles a day, about 40 of it is highway, i dont usually go over 60 on the speedo (with the tires on there, its actually about 63-64mph) and don't accelerate hard
Posted by: RJ

Re: What's your MPG??? - 28/04/06 11:55 AM

Quote:
I do find it hard to keep the X under 80mph when on the hwy
Bingo! Just found your problem.

There's no way around it. You can put railroad wheels on and still get 15 mpg if you drive 80 (if you're luck). I get 13 - 14 if I drive 80, but stay at 60 at watch your mpg go up to 22 or so.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 17/05/06 01:58 PM

When you ask about MPG, I think one should mention what year they have. I small underpowered truck running at 3000 RPMs will get less MPG than an engine that is bigger turning 1700 rpms. I have a 2006 for about a week and on the first couple tanks I have gotten around 20 mpgs.. I just read the article Xterra's DEATH VALLEY Initiation and he got 16 mpgs crawing around in 4 Hi and 4 LO all day.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 17/05/06 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric97217:
When you ask about MPG, I think one should mention what year they have. I small underpowered truck running at 3000 RPMs will get less MPG than an engine that is bigger turning 1700 rpms. I have a 2006 for about a week and on the first couple tanks I have gotten around 20 mpgs.. I just read the article Xterra's DEATH VALLEY Initiation and he got 16 mpgs crawing around in 4 Hi and 4 LO all day.
Eric - Look to the left side of your screen, below a name you will find the info you're asking for.

Welcome from a fellow noob. [Wave]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 18/05/06 07:03 AM

ok.. my bad.. I missed it that your X was listed under our name..

Re: What's your MPG??? - 18/05/06 10:56 AM

I've just finished tabulating my consumption for my 2000 Xterra from the past two years. I've got an excel sheet with all the data. I was interested in seeing if the 32" tires I got made much difference. Unfortunately, my two years of data didn't pan out to be enough since I was missing key months through the winter. This past winter was the only full winter of recording mileage in the two years.

As for the data, here are some figures:

Mar-04 - 14 mpg
Apr-04 - 16 mpg
May-04 - 16 mpg
Jun-04 - 19 mpg
Jul-04 - 18 mpg
Aug-04 - 19 mpg
Sep-04 - 19 mpg
Oct-04 - 19 mpg
Nov-04 - 17 mpg
Dec-04 - 18 mpg
Totals - 18 mpg (average for 2004)
Note: 2004 was all stock, stock tires.

May-05 - 17 mpg
Jun-05 - 18 mpg
Jul-05 - 20 mpg
Aug-05 - 20 mpg
Sep-05 - 19 mpg
Oct-05 - 17 mpg
Nov-05 - 18 mpg
Dec-05 - 15 mpg
Totals - 18 mpg (average for 2005)
Note: 2005 was stock up til November, Installed 32" (235/85R16) Tires (41lbs ea)

Jan-06 - 16 mpg
Feb-06 - 14 mpg
Mar-06 - 14 mpg
Apr-06 - 17 mpg
Note: All with 32" tires. This is the first winter recording milage. Once I rack up some summer driving, I will be able to tell how the tires compare.

All consumption listed in mpg.
Maximum seen so far = 21.9 mpg.

Distances adjusted for larger tire size using factor of 1.06, calculated according to rev/mile specs for tires.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 18/05/06 03:47 PM

I routinely get 19.5 mpg in a combination rural/freeway driving. I never exceed 65 mph and use cruise. When towing about a 1000 pounds it drops to 16-5-17.5 mpg. I now have 3000 miles on my machine.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 18/05/06 04:57 PM

I get 14-16mpg. Never anymore than 16 though. Selling the X, buying a Civic (I can't stomach it anymore). I drop $400 a month just on gas.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 23/05/06 07:57 AM

I haven't read this whole chain of posts. just putting in my 2 cents.

bought my '03 in dec. of this last year and made sure to run 92 octane as recommended. i got 13.5 mpg, needless to say, i was bummed. after some research, i discovered the different characteristics of octanes and engine timing. while on a trip in Iowa,(early april) i could only find 89 ethanol, so i ran it. the X jumped to 15.5, wow. so i started running 89. this last weekend, i thought i'd give 87 a shot, i was on a road trip, and could pay attention to the engine noises (listening for knock). so i check my mileage and wow! a sizeable gain. approx. 18 mpg (approx due to late reset of odometer missed miles were approximated fairly accurately) i'm on my second tank of 87 and i have already surpassed my average 260 miles on 17 gallons of gas.

happy days are here again.

also, i have been using acetone as a fuel additive for a couple months now and have notice gains in fuel economy. (do your own research if you want to try it, there are risks with these uncommmon practices and i don't want to be the guy that starts wild goose chases, i have accepted the risk) I'm not quite sure if it is totally paying off, cost of acetone for mileage gained, but, it makes the misses feel better and that is worth a couple bucks for sure.

Happy driving and on those bad gas days, just remember, 'damn, my X looks good'

Jeremy

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/06/06 08:06 PM

Filling up with my first known ethanol blend fuel today spurred me to check out this thread. I thought I could post my 2005 gas log chart. I only convert from my truck notebook to a chart once a year, so no 2006 data yet.

This is for my 2002 XE 4x4 auto 3.3, stock 30" tires. Pretty stock truck, but I do carry alot of cargo around. Always use 87 octane.

MPG in red, gas prices in blue. The few longer gaps are where I was rotating out my home gas storage, so did not have a good reading.

Not sure what conclusions can be drawn, there's obviously alot of day-to-day variation with driving city vs highway. Reached a nice high in May, believe we had nice weather then so not using heater or A/C. But then dips as summer A/C and possibly summer blend gas. Doesn't go back up in the winter either. Some of this may be that I need a tune-up...

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/06/06 08:09 PM

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/06/06 09:18 AM

Holy mother of God! It's gas mileage, not your blood pressure!! [Huh?] Someone needs a hobby.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/06/06 09:52 AM

Hope you save the money from the cheaper gas by using 87 octane on your S/C X. You're going to need it when you have to repair the damage you're causing to your engine.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 07/06/06 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redorange:
Hope you save the money from the cheaper gas by using 87 octane on your S/C X. You're going to need it when you have to repair the damage you're causing to your engine.
He has a S/C X?
Posted by: DocNo

Re: What's your MPG??? - 07/06/06 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayden:
He has a S/C X?
That's what it says under his name...

In the same subject, just beware that you can't necessarily hear all knocking...

Re: What's your MPG??? - 16/06/06 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by -RotorDemon-:
12.8 average.
Up to 15.94 as of today.
Posted by: electrobuzz

Re: What's your MPG??? - 16/06/06 11:30 AM

Cool breakdown, SJ. Thanks for sharing the data.

41 mpg, highway, here. Oh, that's in our '06 Corolla! laugh

15 city, fairly consistent... 17-19 highway

Re: What's your MPG??? - 07/07/06 01:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]12.8 average.
Up to 15.94 as of today.[/b]
Took it for a trip, Up and down in elevation, speeds ranging from 30-85 for 260 miles and got 20.2MPG.
smile

Re: What's your MPG??? - 07/07/06 08:47 AM

I get about 16-18mpg.

And to think, i sold a car that got 35mpg and could beat V8's; to buy this Xterra. <---demostrates my love for Nissan's!

Re: What's your MPG??? - 07/07/06 12:31 PM

Usually get about 15-16 mpg since I bought it at the end of May '06 - but that's with A/C and each tank has had some moderate offroad activity - so not sure what it will be when strictly on the road. Just can't seem to stay on pavement! laugh And to think I bought this after getting insane mileage on my mountain bike 3.5 miles each way to work! Just couldn't take the heat of Phoenix any more - plus being able to offroad it is a serious bonus... [ThumbsUp]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 08/07/06 11:14 AM

I just checked mine a few weeks ago. I averaged about 17.5 mpg. Which is surprising due to I like to hear the wine of the S/C. I never did check the mpg before the K&N FIPK though. 265/65/17

Re: What's your MPG??? - 10/07/06 04:22 PM

yeah, but stickers for all the products you've got (or wish you had) are still for fags. only fags need to brag. Unless of course your sponsored and then they're kinda required... In all other cases though... GAY!

Re: What's your MPG??? - 10/07/06 09:37 PM

I get about 5hrs at 70 mph! 33X12.50's! [Huh?]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 11/07/06 07:07 AM

I haven't reset my trip computer in months and right now it reads 21.5mpg. I drive mostly highway though.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 11/07/06 09:20 AM

Each time I get gas I write in a little book, the following info.

Date
Station Name
Station Location
Price Per Gallon
Total Cost
Total Number of Gallons
Odometer
Trip Odometer (reset at each fill-up)
Type of Gas

I also note the date and mileage of my mods.

I decided to enter this all into a spreadsheet and see what numbers I come out with. Here is the summary.

Average MPG:
Stock w/ Dino Oil: 15.5218234
Lift w/ Dino Oil: 14.5080771
Lift, Front Bumper w/ Dino Oil: 14.5002732
Lift, Front Bumper w/ Synthetic Oil: 14.2961943 *This shocked me
Lift, Front Bumper, Tires w/ Synthetic Oil (I used 3.7% for the change in tire size): 13.0536942

Yearly Stats (7/14/05 – 7/11/06):
Total Miles: 22145
Gallons of Gas: 1495.753
Average Price Per Gallon: 2.490816327
Total Cost of Gas: 3728.67
Average MPG: 14.80525193
Best MPG (between fill-ups): 18.0507678 (hi-way from Pittsburgh to Detroit)
Worst MPG (between fill-ups): 10.6271658 (weekend of wheeling)

Re: What's your MPG??? - 11/07/06 02:51 PM

I call mine EXXONTERRA!

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/07/06 03:26 PM

My avg. is 18.5 on my '02 SE manual. Although I've only been monitoring it for the last month or so.
Posted by: mineralblue

Re: What's your MPG??? - 12/07/06 04:28 PM

about 16 mpg... with lots of stop and go traffic.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 16/07/06 09:23 AM

Guys,
maybe this is the answer to your gas mileage problems:
condensatorsales
[drink]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 17/07/06 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XTuck:
Guys,
maybe this is the answer to your gas mileage problems:
condensatorsales
[drink]
I don't buy it...

Re: What's your MPG??? - 17/07/06 04:54 PM

In town 17-18mpg. I achieved 21mpg,once. I had to keep it under 2000rpm at all times. Not worth the trouble, I say. [ThumbsDown]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 21/07/06 01:04 PM

so i finally tried to kick my driving habits for a tank of gas and im amazed. I usually go 220 miles or so and the gas light comes on. Now i have kept it under 2500, mostly 2000 rpm and at this moment i have 209 miles on the odo and still a tiny bit more than a quarter tank left. I am definitely going to get much more than 220 on this tank
How many miles do you guys ussually get to a tank?

Re: What's your MPG??? - 21/07/06 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yankyfan100:
so i finally tried to kick my driving habits for a tank of gas and im amazed. I usually go 220 miles or so and the gas light comes on. Now i have kept it under 2500, mostly 2000 rpm and at this moment i have 209 miles on the odo and still a tiny bit more than a quarter tank left. I am definitely going to get much more than 220 on this tank
How many miles do you guys ussually get to a tank?
In the summer I get about 245-250 before the light comes on. In the winter it's around 235 or so.

All the mileage adjusted for the tire size.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 21/07/06 08:01 PM

City: 15-17 mpg

Hwy: Always above 20 mpg--usually around 22. 23mpg is the best I have ever gotten on flat hwy cruising at 60 mph.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 22/07/06 07:47 PM

Highway avg is 19 to 20+ MPG w/ moderate mods.
(A/T tires @ stock size, PML, sliders)
I don't track in town as I know the MPG stinks.
Generally I average between 300 to 325 miles per tank.

Barry [Wave]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 31/07/06 10:27 PM

Thanks to the TBS and CAI!!!

Re: What's your MPG??? - 31/07/06 10:28 PM

Better pictures of the MPG at: Nismo

Re: What's your MPG??? - 01/08/06 07:48 AM

Do the math and don't rely on the trip conputer. I bet you will be surprised.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 01/08/06 04:14 PM

If that's the "instant" MPG, it means nothing. I had a trip computer in my 2000 Intrepid. Going downhill with no throttle on, it'd show 60 MPG. Conversely, uphill with power on, it might show 6 MPG.

It's the average MPG you have to look at, and my Intrepid would accurately reflect around 19-20 MPG overall. I'm not buying those numbers as your average.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 01/08/06 04:16 PM

P.S. Nice wheels. [Freak]

Re: What's your MPG??? - 01/08/06 07:53 PM

LOL!!! In reality I know my readings are way high, but I am pretty sure it has helped a little bit. Thanks guys!

Re: What's your MPG??? - 02/08/06 12:20 AM

Yea ok. I think people arent doing this right. You need to take the number of gallons you put in and divide that into the number of miles you drove. I get 12 mpg. Thats with an 02. The newer models shoud be doing better.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 03/08/06 06:34 PM

Uh. I'm reading this thread. And i'm utterly shocked. I'm getting around 24mpg around CITY. No lie. I never go above 70mph. 05 X weighs exactly 4478lbs (on a scale with a full tank of gas and me in it, not according to the door). 40psi (over inflated i know, i dont wanna hear it :-P) I'm hoping they wear out quickly so i can put some Load Range D's on it and inflate them higher. Gas mileage man. Gas mileage.

I went down to Virginia once, got 25mpg going down there, got 19 towing a 6000lb load (yes i know, overloaded, the truck at it, and spit it out :-P) I'm not even lying. 21.5 Gal tank.

The first week i owned the car, i drove up to maine. got like 16mpg driving at like 85mph, now i drive like a grandma well, of course, at $3 a gallon, do you blame me?.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/08/06 04:48 PM

No offense, but that's VERY hard to believe.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 04/08/06 08:13 PM

Well I bought my X 2 weeks ago thinking it would get a little better gas mileage than my 4.3L GMC Sonoma, but I just checked it tonight after filling up and I got 14 MPG!!! eek

Holy hell that sucks hardcore! I have been babying it all week, and hardly even used the AC. Jeez, guess that's the price I pay for having an SUV. frown

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/08/06 05:18 AM

'03 w/ 3" SL.
Getting 16-17 MPG on average- city driving (16.74 last fill up to be exact).

Previous vehicle- '76 GMC got 9.

Gas saved yearly equals 2-3 monthly payments. smile

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/08/06 08:53 AM

Well, I tried taking off the air foil and seeing if that's gonna help any. I am pretty impressed so far. On a half tank of gast it was showing 170 miles. I haven't seen that in years now.

Now, these are all rough estimates, though. I'll run the tank down, fill up and will have a more accurate number.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/08/06 12:59 PM

Quote:
It's cool. Believe what you want (this is an opinions/discussions forum...). I know what my X gets on mileage and I'm completely satisfied.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/08/06 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 91BerettaGT:
Quote:
It's cool. Believe what you want (this is an opinions/discussions forum...). I know what my X gets on mileage and I'm completely satisfied.
Fair enough. Just doesn't make sense that one person gets 25% better mileage than everybody else. confused

Just curious, how are you calculating your mileage?

Edited to add:
Satisfied? I guess so, you'd see an epidemic of cartwheels and ninja flips on this board if people were getting the MPG you're claiming.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 07/08/06 07:03 AM

the past couple of weeks I have started calculating,

I have driven 407 miles on 25 gallons(two trips to the gas station.)

that is about about 16 mpg.

That is about a 1/3 of the time highway driving.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 07/08/06 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 91BerettaGT:
Quote:
Something tells me you are doing your math wrong.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 07/08/06 11:51 PM

Look everyone. You cannot calculate your gass mileage based on you fill ups. Its based on the amount of gas you put in please. And do not estimate the mileage. Go by the trip meter. So if you drive somewhere then you fill up. You divide the number of gallons you put in thats on the reciept into the number of miles it says on the trip.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 08/08/06 12:25 AM

Easiest thing to do is always get a receipt, write the mileage on the back and put it in an envelope. After a few fill-ups take them out and do the math.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 14/08/06 05:00 PM

Either I drive much easier than several of you or I am just lucky. I've gotten 19.7mpg and 20.1mpg around town on my last two fill ups. I should say though that the 20.1 was after a gibson exhaust and K&N drop in filter while the 19.7 was completely stock. My last HWY trip in stock form was 22.7mpg and I did not exceed 65mph for the whole 220 mile trip.
On another note I just installed a condensator today so wait about a week or two and I will let yall know if it actually works for improving fuel mileage. When I installed I called condensator sales directly and spoke with the owner/operator who walked me through the installation. It was very simple and only took about 30 minutes with basic hand tools.
Even if it does not work it does have a 90 day money back gaurentee so I figure nothing ventured nothing gained.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 14/08/06 06:03 PM

Just took a road trip from Atlanta to Nashville.

Good news: averaged 28.4 MPG on the way up there.

Bad news: Our X was parked in our garage. We took my wife's '94 Honda. frown

Re: What's your MPG??? - 15/08/06 08:53 AM

About 12 GPM wink (gallons per mile)

No, really, with the 35's and all the weight, probably around 12 MPG...

Re: What's your MPG??? - 18/08/06 08:27 PM

A better question to ask is how many have gotten rid of the X due to the mileage? Except for the folks new to the X we all know that it is not great so we drive it because we like it or we have to. Either way you fill it up...

Re: What's your MPG??? - 18/08/06 09:05 PM

i finally broke 16 mpg wahooo...lets see how long i can keep up driving like this.

2002x i dont see how you, or anyone can get 19 mpg. I dont care how light you drive. what do you keep your rpms at?

Re: What's your MPG??? - 19/08/06 09:01 AM

19 plus mpg is definitley not impossible with a 2wd X, stock with only an exhaust and filter.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 19/08/06 11:02 AM

yeah it deff is not, i keep the rpms below 2500 and accelerate slowly and i barely get 16. If i could shift myself maybe i cold do a little better. But not 19.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 20/08/06 05:20 AM

Yanyfan100, I live in an area where the traffic is light and the speed limit going to work for me in 35mph. As for the rpm's I have an automatic and it usually does not exceed 2200 even when I am accelerating. Also I have always used mobil 1 full synthetic oil since I bought the X back in 02. Maybe that helps with engine wear and efficiency? FYI when I use to live further away from work and would run 75-80mph on the HWY my mileage would be 17-18.5. It seems my X is very sensitive about mileage especially at higher speeds.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 21/08/06 12:14 AM

15 mpg so far...havn't had it that long.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 31/08/06 08:54 AM

Well here is the condensator update. I have 700 miles on the thing since I installed it and so far it only accomplishes 2 of the 3 things it claims. First off the company claims that it will
1. Lower harmful exhaust emmissions
2. Remove unburnable oil out of the gases going back into the intake through the PCV.
3. Improve fuel economy by 15%.

Well As for #1 I did find a study conducted by the EPA that did confirm that it did reduce exhaust emissions by 10-15%. Thats not quite the 50% the company claimed but any reduction does help out the air we breath.

#2 This one I can say it true. My condensator has removed oil which would have otherwise been put back into my engine in an attempt to burn it.

#3 False. The company claims a 2000 mile break in period so I will continue to drive with it installed until I reach that mark but so far I have only averaged a .23 mpg increase in fuel mileage. On my most recent fill up I got 20.33mpg while the average before the condensator was 20.1mpg.

Only time will tell but I have got to go to Texas next month so I will see if it does any better on the hwy.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 31/08/06 09:46 AM

i've got a 2006 4x2 S & on a couple occasions i've surpassed even sticker MPG. i've saved every gas recipt & put it on this spreadsheet that i made since i've owned the vehicle (new in case you ask). unfortunatly i didnt start recording milage untill about mid may. brief maintenance history is i do my schedualed maintenance by the supplied service manual except that instead of 3750 i do it at 3000 incriments. i also use full synthetic + a penzoil oil addative every oil change.

Proof. please tell me if the calculations are wrong (mpg column: (D24-D23)/A24= MPG for the fill up on the 31st of may)

Re: What's your MPG??? - 31/08/06 10:30 AM

I was getting about 17.5 taking it easy with the supercharger. Put 32's light bar and tire on top and dropped down to 15....on the highway doing about 75 I was getting as low as 13.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 02/09/06 12:54 PM

I don't know why everyone is whining about gas mileage or how some of you drive but I get at least 21-25 every tank. Sure I've got an intake and exhaust but I also have tons of armor. The only time my gas sucks is on the trail or towing something.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 02/09/06 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by terraman:
I don't know why everyone is whining about gas mileage or how some of you drive but I get at least 21-25 every tank. Sure I've got an intake and exhaust but I also have tons of armor. The only time my gas sucks is on the trail or towing something.

I truly mean no offense, but everybody here gets 14 to a max of 21 or so but then a few "magic" Xterras somehow get 21-25. Just ain't buyin' it.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 02/09/06 05:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I don't know why everyone is whining about gas mileage or how some of you drive but I get at least 21-25 every tank. Sure I've got an intake and exhaust but I also have tons of armor. The only time my gas sucks is on the trail or towing something.

I truly mean no offense, but everybody here gets 14 to a max of 21 or so but then a few "magic" Xterras somehow get 21-25. Just ain't buyin' it.[/b]
Especially since the X is "armored".

I got 17.3 mpg yesterday after including tire difference and all that. I was amazed. This was rather weird it was the same commute to and from work as always. Oh well, I'm not gonna complain.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/09/06 08:16 AM

Maybe the 20mpg use the "tornado" or some magnet fuel line's. I find it hard to believe.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/09/06 09:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I don't know why everyone is whining about gas mileage or how some of you drive but I get at least 21-25 every tank. Sure I've got an intake and exhaust but I also have tons of armor. The only time my gas sucks is on the trail or towing something.

I truly mean no offense, but everybody here gets 14 to a max of 21 or so but then a few "magic" Xterras somehow get 21-25. Just ain't buyin' it.[/b]
Bluesky, that hogwash is more like a "10" on your scale. [LOL] The best mileage I've ever achieved is always when I use a *full* tank's worth of gas driving 55 mph on the highway with very few stops. I usually get almost 21 mpg then. Otherwise it's in the 18-19.5 range on average.

Re: What's your MPG??? - 05/09/06 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyFishingX:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
Bluesky, that hogwash is more like a "10" on your scale. [LOL] The best mileage I've ever achieved is always when I use a *full* tank's worth of gas driving 55 mph on the highway with very few stops. I usually get almost 21 mpg then. Otherwise it's in the 18-19.5 range on average.[/b]
Yeah, 21-25 MPG on a regular basis is a BS meter-buster. Sadly, I couldn't find a graphic with it pegged any higher. wink