An odd break...

Posted by: XOC

An odd break... - 28/09/03 08:50 PM

After pulling into our camping spot this weekend, and starting to disconnect, I noticed that the end of the rear spindle bolt (yellow in the picture below) on the passenger side lower control arm was sheared off at the nut (green in the picture below). The nut and washer are somewhere on the dirt road to the campsite, or the highway.

The bushing was still intact though, and protruded as far as normal through the control arm. The back side of the spindle bolt is splined to match the torsion bar, and is prevented from sliding backward. I wheeled it like that all weekend and it held together although I'll be replacing it this week.

Just wondering if anyone else had broken one as I find it very odd. It's protected, and nothing can really hit it. One day it was there, the next, it wasn't.

Posted by: Sean

Re: An odd break... - 29/09/03 07:50 AM

Look at the bright side, it didn't stop you from wheeling! I'll have to check mine out when I get home (not that I go offroad anywhere near the amount of times you do). Do you plan on changing out ALL of the lower control arm bolts/nuts, or just replacing the broken one? Will you use stock replacements or something stronger (if available)?

Re: An odd break... - 29/09/03 08:18 AM

I'll just be replacing the broken bolt, since I'm sure it will be $100 or so (if it's cheap, I'll pick up a spare).

It has a splined head, so I doubt there is anything available on the aftermarket.
Posted by: IceChickenX

Re: An odd break... - 29/09/03 09:26 AM

Where did you get that schematic from?

Re: An odd break... - 29/09/03 01:07 PM

Service manual.
Posted by: 2001frontier

Re: An odd break... - 29/09/03 01:21 PM

That is some weird shit Ian. You always break stuff first. [Finger]
Posted by: Ag_xterra

Re: An odd break... - 29/09/03 02:56 PM

i've had to remove that bolt to replace one of the 2 smaller torsion bar anchor bolts. that bolt is a pain in the ass to remove. spray down with rust penetrant days in advance, have heat ready because you will probably need to use everything you have to remove it. its a pain!!! my xterra was only 1 year old when i had to remove mine and it was still hard.