steering problem (I know I know)

Posted by: Nacho00X

steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 09:05 AM

I’ve been here for many years, read many posts on the problem, searched many many times, but I still have a question. When driving slowly (under 10) my steering is slow, heavy, and makes loud sounds a basic moan but sometimes it pops (yes I have looked at the steering stops they look fine, also there is no leaks from the steering box). I have SLR tie rod adjusters already, and a AC SL. I just need a basic answer is my steering shot?
I know everyone has their opinions about which one to buy and I would be getting a L&P if I knew I could (I will be emailing the big 3), I figure I will end up with Calmini if they can get it to me fairly quick.
Posted by: Rockaholic

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 09:51 AM

My steering was loose and sloppy when the centerlink went bad. It was difficult at highway speeds to keep the vehicle under control.

If you are experiencing that as well a the symptoms you are describing, then yes, your steering is probably shot.

If it handles fine at highway speeds, my guess is the power steering isn't working properly.
If you plan on upgrading your steering:
Read this before buying Calmini\'s steering system...
I bought my steering system in July 05 to replace my worn out stock stering. I've been waiting since 10/27/05 for a warriented replacement idler arm to repair the faulty idler arm I received with my Calmini steering sytem.

Of corse, maybe you'll be lucky and get one that works. But if it doesn't...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 10:00 AM

Keep in mind, while he's still waiting for something to happen, hundreds, if not a thousand, Calmini systems have been made, shipped, installed, and worked perfectly for the last 7 years.

Jeez dude, sucks for you, but get over it already.. :rolleyes:

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 11:30 AM

Now does this only happen whe you're in 2wd? I wouldn't think the hubs would do that at just low speeds.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 11:57 AM

Nope, both 2 & 4. Once up to speed (normal around town) its fine it turns like normal. Just pulling out of the driveway, parking spot, or at a stop sign turning (either direction).

BTW thanks all for the help.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 12:01 PM

I have been putting off buying steering for a long while now, partially due to the Calmini deal. Then I heard about the L&P kit which no one has griped about. I have read plenty but no one ever really complains about my problem. When I am driving straight, I have to hold the wheel to the left quite a bit just to keep it going straight [no, my alignment is fine]. Also, if I am pulling into the local grocery store parking lot and cut it too close, hitting the curb a bit, the wheel is yanked out of my hand and spins hard. I am assuming that is what a worn steering is like? If it fixes my really, really annoying pulling to the right problem that would be worth every penny. Does anyone know if it will?

Thanks!

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 12:09 PM

The reason that I basically ruled out L&P was that it is very up in the air if they are still putting out parts. I would love to have one of their units but the reliability of service if there is a problem is a huge to me. However I will email them and give them a chance, my truck is my daily driver so I would need the part sooner than later.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Keep in mind, while he's still waiting for something to happen, hundreds, if not a thousand, Calmini systems have been made, shipped, installed, and worked perfectly for the last 7 years.

Jeez dude, sucks for you, but get over it already.. :rolleyes:
And for every steering sytem Calmini has made that has worked properly, there is another one that failed. I'm not the only one who has had problems with Calmini's Steering system, or had problems ith Calmini's customer service.

Don't make it sound like I'm the only one who's had the problem.
All Calmini had to do was live up to their word and send me the "warrentied" idler arm replacement, or when I talked to Steve Kramer, given me a refund.

Instead, he chose to insult me, and do neither, and essentially rob me of $500.

Get over it? You'v got to be kidding me right?

I'm going to continue to support XOC and it's members and let people know how much Calmini supports the people that by is products and support XOC.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nacho00X:
Nope, both 2 & 4. Once up to speed (normal around town) its fine it turns like normal. Just pulling out of the driveway, parking spot, or at a stop sign turning (either direction).

BTW thanks all for the help.
That definately sounds like a powersteering issue.

If you've ever driven a vehicle without powersteering, it handles exactly like you are describing.

Start by checking your powersteering fluid level, then the hoses, then I'd have the pump checked out.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 01:57 PM

Thank you Rockaholic, that is actually what I thought it might be, I had an old car w/out power steering and it behave like this does. I just figured it might be the CL due to the 65k and 33s. As for the pop, bad ball joints?

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 02:07 PM

Quote:
As for the pop, bad ball joints?
Possibly, but it could be related to the powersteering pump.

I wish I had my manual with me, I could look up the other symptoms of a bad powersteering pump...I don't know them all.

Does the popping only happen when the suspension flexes? Does it happen when you are not turning the wheel, or does it only happen when you turn the wheel?

If it is the balljoint, the popping should occur when the balljoint moves.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 02:26 PM

Quote:
And for every steering sytem Calmini has made that has worked properly, there is another one that failed.
That's slander..

Quote:
I'm not the only one who has had problems with Calmini's Steering system, or had problems ith Calmini's customer service.
That's true..

Quote:
Don't make it sound like I'm the only one who's had the problem.
All Calmini had to do was live up to their word and send me the "warrentied" idler arm replacement, or when I talked to Steve Kramer, given me a refund. Instead, he chose to insult me, and do neither, and essentially rob me of $500.

You're probably right. But I'm left to wonder, if all of the alleged hundreds of problem IAB problems had been resolved, why not yours Jeffrey?

Quote:
I'm going to continue to support XOC and it's members and let people know how much Calmini supports the people that by is products and support XOC.
You're very presence on this webite, which is hosted by CALMINI, shows your support of the XOC. Perhaps you could further show your support by attending GONEMoab too, a national event for all Nissan enthusiasts, sponsored by CALMINI. In fact, I see Steve there every year, he's always got a second to talk.

Frankly, I'm surprised the site, the events, even the manufacturing support continues for us, despite the constant badmouthing and libelous crap bantied about here.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 02:40 PM

DBAX, seeing as you want to take this further off topic...

You accuse me of slander - yet Calmini is guilty of false advertising, and failing to back up their product. I'm not the only person, I know for sure of one other person. I know of people who recieved multiple replacement idler arms which also failed.
Search on the site in problems and annoyances-
There's a whole thread of people who were looking for a fix to the Calmini idler arm problem - you know, the one where AXLE used the sphereical bearing mod?

Why Haven't I come to GoneMoab? well, I live on the East coast, it's a long trip, and I don't have the money to afford to go. If I did, I probably wouldn't be as upset over $500 for a steering system. As it is, Calmini cost me a trip to ECXC along with other wheeling events because of the cost of paying for a faulty steering system, the cost of replacement bushings so I wouldn't lose my registration, and then the cost of buying one thatworks.
Why has Calmini not resolve the issue? My guess is because Steve Kramer doens't believe he needs to give a shit about me. He even said so to me, when he said, "I tell you if or when you get a replacement part."

So Calmini ripped me off, lied to me, tried o cover up their lie, and then went back to business as usual. And I have proof Calmini tried to cover up their lie - within an Hour of my conversation with Steve, in which he said the Steering system was for Off-road use only, the website was changed with the "intended for on and offroad use" phrase removed - but from the XTERRA description only, not from the Frontier description, which is the exact same part number.

In fact, I have a printout of that webpage, including each of the other webpages selling their steering systems, in whihc the XTERRA steering system ad is the only one different in descripton from the rest. The I have a printout from a week later,. in which the XTERRA webpage had the "intended for on and offraod use" inserted back into the page.

You accuse me of slander - I can prove Calmini lied and purposely tried to decieve me.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 02:49 PM

Quote:
There's a whole thread of people who were looking for a fix to the Calmini idler arm problem - you know, the one where AXLE used the sphereical bearing mod?
A local (DATZ510) created that, for the record. It wasn't Axle..
Quote:
I know of people who recieved multiple replacement idler arms which also failed.
First I've heard of that.. Got links?

I have no stake in CALMINI, don't get Christmas cards from them, nuthin'. I really do wish your experience was different though. We spend a lot of time here and it's a drag to constantly see you haul out your CALMINI screwed me wagon anytime someone mentions a steering system.

If you're convinced you've been wronged, take 'em to task and get a lawyer. The inconvenience, pain and suffering you've obviously been subjected to are documented here as well..

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 02:54 PM

Boo, all this name calling and my poor post with a few teenie questions gets over looked. If you knowledgeable guys have a moment, could you look at my post above and please comment if you know what I am talking about?

thanks!

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:01 PM

I agree w/DBAX. Shit or get off the pot. Get over it. Would you like some cheese w/your whine?!? Live on blah blah blah blah blah.

Yes, I had the system they told me it was gonna be weeks for parts so I did the spherical bearing mod. Held up great until I launched my front tires in the air on Poison Spyder and slammed back down. Tell Datz it was an awesome fix!!!

There is no such thing as indestructible, only better than stock.

Now type 4x4......... hold shift repeat .....

4x4 = $X$

Better yet check my sig. wink
Peace and try to keep your panties from getting all bunched up.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsorbet:
I have been putting off buying steering for a long while now, partially due to the Calmini deal. Then I heard about the L&P kit which no one has griped about. I have read plenty but no one ever really complains about my problem. When I am driving straight, I have to hold the wheel to the left quite a bit just to keep it going straight [no, my alignment is fine]. Also, if I am pulling into the local grocery store parking lot and cut it too close, hitting the curb a bit, the wheel is yanked out of my hand and spins hard. I am assuming that is what a worn steering is like? If it fixes my really, really annoying pulling to the right problem that would be worth every penny. Does anyone know if it will?

Thanks!
You can call L&P but I think the company (two guys) are in turmoil and going their own ways.

Your problem sounds like a combo... steering and alignment issue. They may align it but if the parts are worn then it will pop out of alignment soon again.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:07 PM

I have DBAX old Calmini steering. It sometimes moans when I need to lube it up after playing in mud/water.

You may try lubing it all around at every joint.

As fo Calmini and their product/service. i called them and asked for a new bushing for my IA and it was at my door three days later. I also called and ordered two new TRE and again at my door within 1 week. So there HAS to be something else to your story that you are leaving out when you bad mouth their service. Maybe YOU called with an unjustified bad attitude to begin with...who knows, but Steve and Co. have always come through for me and those I know personally.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:07 PM

I didn't say AXLE created it, only that he used it...I couldn't remember who came up with the fix, but I knew Axle wasn't the one.

I would take Calmini to court, but I'd have to go to small claims court in CA - which means I have to pay for a flight out there and back at my own expense, and even if I win there is no guaranteed judgement, I'd have to collect it myself. By the time I got my money back from Calmini, I'd have sent more than what I'm owed.

So what's the good of that?
you want links for multiple Idler Arm Failures - here\'s one,Powerguy.
Another, Aquamander had 2 idler arms go,...nch of bushings
Accoridng to Calmini, before I ordered m...issues anymore.
That was untrue

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
There is no such thing as indestructible, only better than stock.
My stock steering lasted over a year with about 6 wheeling trips.

My Calmini lasted 3 months, ~5K miles, and one day of very light wheeling.

I know you have to pay to play, but when I'm paing for a
Quote:
This system is a new, complete replacement set designed to correct the chronic problem of a worn idler arm and center drag link.
Not something that's indestructable, but what I did with the steering system on shouldn't have caused it to fail. None of the other vehicles I wheled with (with stock steering components) had any steering problems after that day of wheeling.

Alpine, I'll tell you what. I'll sell you something for $500, then not give you what I said I'd give you, and let's see how you feel and react.

I shouldn't be buying a new steering system to then pay someone to fix the damn thing before it's even used.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:17 PM

Quote:

Sounds like there may have been an flaw in the installation aka 'user error'?

Mine has been wheeled hard for MANY MANY miles by DBAX and now by me with no probs. My IAB is tight, I just ordered the bushing as a trail spare in case.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:17 PM

Yep that steering system needs lubing. If you dont own a grease gun GET ONE NOW!!

On a side note for the greasing thing UCA bushings last ALOT longer if you install a zerk in the UCAs (they dont take alot of grease but you can push the dirt back out from the inside and keep pushing new grease through).

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:28 PM

gtsorbert
- I know what you are talkingabout. I had to hold my steering to the left to keep straight when it fell out of alignment. I don't know about the other symptoms, as I didn't experience them.

when my steering was worn, I'd drift left and right in the lane of travel, not just to one side. You might have another issue, but I'm not 100% sure

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
I have DBAX old Calmini steering. It sometimes moans when I need to lube it up after playing in mud/water.

You may try lubing it all around at every joint.

As fo Calmini and their product/service. i called them and asked for a new bushing for my IA and it was at my door three days later. I also called and ordered two new TRE and again at my door within 1 week. So there HAS to be something else to your story that you are leaving out when you bad mouth their service. Maybe YOU called with an unjustified bad attitude to begin with...who knows, but Steve and Co. have always come through for me and those I know personally.
This guy has a stock steering, so the moans are probably not coming from there.

As for me and my attitude, I spent a long time being patient and reasonable with Steve Kramer and company. I had to go through fucking hoops to get my replacement bushings, after being told repeatedly that I'd have a replacement idler arm in 2 weeks.

I've posted the whole story before, if you have had a good experience, that's great for you.

Calmini has screwed me over, and that's a fact jack.
People should have the right to know what could happen to them, and if Calmini really cared about what people thought about their customer sevice, they wouldn't have treated me like they have.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
Quote:

Sounds like there may have been an flaw in the installation aka 'user error'?
So without knowing me, you're going to place the blame on me?
why don't you tell me what I did wrong, since I followed Calmini's instructions, and even had another peson with Calmini's Steering System (which did not fail him) double check everything.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:35 PM

You know, I must the the problem, not Calmini- They'd never make a mistake or have a problem with a product, right?
I mean, look at how little thier steering system has changed since it came out

To now

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:37 PM

But the fact that you are still waiting when there have been others with the same/similar problem that have gotten replacement parts tells me that there is more to the issue.

If the system can survive DBAX ( Click Here for example ) and the system is on another vehicle now still going strong, that says alot.

I am not saying its perfect because I have seen a few fail and others just hammered to HELL that have not, but god you have got to get over it and get a solution. Call em up, find another solution, buy another system or sell the X.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:40 PM

So I think I saw the answer I was looking through all the other talk going on. What I am hearing is that my steering so shot and every time it gets re-aligned it just gets thrown out of alignment very fast. I will buy that, I have had the 3" SL for about a year and a half now and have been through my fair share of wheelin' trips with it. So it is between L&P who seems to be hit or miss on getting an answer and Calmini which I still have not decided if the steering works or not from what I have read. Well, and SLR, but I think I am too poor for that after buying my house. Hmm...such a pickle. It's a no brainer I need it by goneMOAB, what are my best chances?

Thanks!

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:42 PM

Alpine, I already found a solution

I got another steering system, after doing the bearing mod which failed. After that, I got fed up with trying to fix what Calmini told me was already fixed.

That doesn't change the fact thatI was outright lied to, and they misrepresented their product.

Nor does it change the fact that Steve changed his story on the Steering system, and deliberately tried to decieve me by coering his ass on their website

However, I still paid $500 for a product, and did not get what Calmini advertised, nor did they remedy the problem.
Calmini has failed to stand up to their own claims
Quote:
Our quality products are designed and manufactured in-house using a craftsman-led approach to modern manufacturing techniques. Our CAD-generated designs, CNC machining, and laser-crafting produce products of the highest possible quality and accuracy of fit. The results are thoroughly engineered products that exceed industry standards in form, fit, and function, thus providing the most durable extreme use products on the market.
The product you use should be the best available. Simply stated: Ours is.
from their mainpage

If people can make heir products better, then their products are not he best their is.
And their product, properly installed and maintained, was not durable.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 03:50 PM

Quote:
What I am hearing is that my steering so shot and every time it gets re-aligned it just gets thrown out of alignment very fast. I will buy that, I have had the 3" SL for about a year and a half now and have been through my fair share of wheelin' trips with it. So it is between L&P who seems to be hit or miss on getting an answer and Calmini which I still have not decided if the steering works or not from what I have read. Well, and SLR, but I think I am too poor for that after buying my house. Hmm...such a pickle. It's a no brainer I need it by goneMOAB, what are my best chances?

Thanks!
Well, if you think your steering is shot, I'd jack up the front end and see what part is shot, the centerlink, idlerarm, ect. L&P and SLR's parts are interchangeable, so if you need a new CL, you can just buy SLRs and that will fit right in. If your bushing is worn, a stock bushing will work (and is readily availible from Nissan dealerships and NAPA).

From what you posted, you aren't drifting left to right in the lane, you are just pulling to the right - so I do't think it's a shot steering system. BTW - how long have you had the L&P on your X?

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 04:29 PM

Hey GTsorbet, just a quick thought...

Just to rule out other things that could cause popping and what not, it might be worth five minutes to crawl under there and check and tighten things like the sway bar bolts, crossmember bolts, check idler arm and sway bar bushings etc. that can wear or come loose when wheeling.

It'd suck to be driving yourself nuts trying to diagnose and fix one thing only to have part of the problem be something else. Just bringing this up on the off chance that some of the noises might be something else other than the steering and it might make things easier for you.

Hope this helps.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 05:33 PM

I have the same exact issue with my blue X, SL, BL big tires and stock steering

I don't have the slow steering, but mine pops, creaks and moans while going slowly. I have known for quite some time that it is the ball joints on the centerlink. They sould awful. It needs a new steering system, and I have one sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 05:50 PM

Having read through all of the posts, I think I have a few comments.

1) If you're steering's feeling loose and you know it's not the powersteering pump, then it might be worth using this as an opportunity to upgrade. Having the SLR system myself, I can easily state that it's a sweet system and it was like night and day when I drove it for the first time.

2) Calmini products... Like all products, there are going to be those that last a long time, those that last and average amount of time and those that fail for one reason or another. If Jeff got one of the latter, then no matter what his attitude / approach was toward getting a replacement part, it was the manufacturer's responsibility to replace the parts. Even if Jeff were a world-class a-hole on the phone, any company that has to deal with the public has to come to terms with the fact that some people are going to be unhappy when a product fails. So, while some of you are telling Jeff to suck it up and get over it, I'd use the same argument for Calmini - suck it up and understand that it's sometimes just good PR to make an unhappy customer at least neutral, if not happy.

3) On Jeff's ability to follow instructions and appreciate the risks / costs of the hobby we all have. I've known Jeff for just about a year now and, if anything, he's uber-anal about making sure that things are done the right way, using the best information available. So, while I would expect that I could make a mistake on an install, I wouldn't expect that from Jeff because, by the time the parts are laid out (neatly) to be installed, he's already memorized the instructions, measured three times and cut once.

Oh, and did I mention that SLR products rock?

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 06:10 PM

Fair enough. Some runs on parts work perfect, some don't. It is too bad that you AND Calmini could not meet somewhere in the middle of the damn road at any point in time.

Good luck GTsorbet! I will keep beating the hell outta my Calmini parts and any other company I use.

My firm belief is that eventually, ALL parts will fail if you wheel long and hard enough. Part of the fun is fixing stuff and making it better/stronger than when it broke.
Posted by: BigE515

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 03/04/07 09:18 PM

I'd get involved in this but Rock,DBAX and Alpine are some of my MySpace friends. I'm an asshole so I don't have many friends so I can't afford to lose anymore. But...Jeff is a Sox fan...hmmmmm. :p

As a business major, business manager and holder of mucho common sense laugh ....The customer is always right. You want their business and the business of other's? Give them a good product and service to support that product. Jeff is far from being a whiny bitch nor do I think he is using XOC to vent his frustration with Calmini. $500 is a lot of money and I don't blame him for being upset. We're pretty limited on our variety of aftermarket suppliers, I would want to know if someone has had a problem with a certain manufacturer. How many times have you seen someone complain about or have a problem with Shrockworks on here? Myself, I saw it once. What did Shrockworks do? Replaced the part that was in question.
I've never met either of you three, I've chatted with all three of you online, thats about it, so I don't truly know either of you but, there's no need for the name calling...........assholes. :p

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 05:53 AM

So when someone shells out hard earned money and gets a shit part they should just get over it and buy a new system from another company?

I could care less about being flamed here so here goes.

I am with Rock agian, I hate Calmini. I think that there customer service sucks and their build quality is shoty at best. I had nothing but bad problems with them the few times I ordered.

Most of my experience is with thier zuki side not the X but it seems to be the same. You can go on just about zuki site and find all the same stories about their bad service and products. Now that is two diffrent brands having problems.

Now they do make some good products and anyone can have good luck and it seems alot do, more so if you live on the west coast. But lets face it until people stop making there own fixes and just accepting their (we are right you are wrong attitude) they will just keep building the same half ass parts with shitty service.

If you have their stuff and it works, great. But if people have had problems and alot do then who are you to call them names and say that they don't know what they are doing.

If you don't have any useful info on a post then don't post just to hear yourself or stir up shit

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 07:09 AM

I see nothing wrong with someone sharing their bad experience on here as much as they want. One of the reasons people come here is too do research, and if I were planning on buying something, I would want to take all the info, good & bad, into consideration.

Get over it? I'd be pretty pissed off myself.

Comparing Shrockworks to Calmini is like comparing Makita to Black & Decker, if Calmini cared about their products they would outsource their stuff to a different powder coater that's for sure!

How many years did they take to improve their UCA's?

I personally won't buy a Calmini product again

I've talked to Jeff in person about his issue with Calmini and I actually can't believe a company would let a simple fix issue escalate like that; they lied to him several times, and I think he took it very well.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 08:00 AM

Having been in the customer service industry for several years, I learned that the customer is always right. Yes, even if you know the customer is dead wrong. It's important to satisfy the customer because if you don't, "word of mouth" advertising can be a very powerful vehicle.

I'm sure that out of the hundreds of steering systems that Calmini has sold, there have been some that have left the factory with a defect. In those cases, the product should be replaced or refunded - no questions asked.

I have the utmost respect for Jeff and his knowledge of wheeling and modding the X. I know Jeff was not trying to pick a fight - he wants to be treated fairly, just as any other customer would want. He should either be reimbursed for the defected product or sent a replacement.

It's not rocket science here, kids. Simple logic:
IF the product is defected
THEN replace it with a new one
ELSE reimburse the customer.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 09:25 AM

I feel left out so i'll post something.
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 09:29 AM

I'm not here to bash anyone.But here's my story. laugh

I put on Calmini's lift and steering kit when I first bought my X in early 02. And I'm now falling victim to the failing Idler Arm.It's getting bad to the point of where I'm getting nervous about it breaking and me crashing my X. But I really can't complain cause It's lasted me well over 3 years of solid off roading. And everyone in my club will vouch that I have put the system to it's tests and probably limits at times. Now do I have grounds to bash them and say they suck? Maybe I do and maybe I don't but what I will say is from the limiting times I have called them and repsonses from other X owners like myself, I will not be ordering from them in the near future.

I have seen what's out in the market that's availible for our trucks and I will purchase a better system.

I jsut need to find a cheap way to fix my steering for now until I can swing getting something new.

Anyone have any of Calmini's bushings for the Idler Arm that they'd be willing to donate to me? :p

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 09:54 AM

Registered receipt letters go along ways. Then you can voice it right to the manufacturer.

[Smoking]

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Registered receipt letters go along ways. Then you can voice it right to the manufacturer.

[Smoking]
I agree so do phone calls. laugh

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 12:01 PM

Quote:
Boo, all this name calling and my poor post with a few teenie questions gets over looked. If you knowledgeable guys have a moment, could you look at my post above and please comment if you know what I am talking about?

thanks!
OK, If I were you i'd go with L&P, the pulling sounds like an alignment problem, although you say it's fine. As for the wheel kick, have you gotten underneath and checked tie rods, pitman, things of that nature, or the steering wheel link itself. I just recently bought the Bilstein steering upgrade from AC, I haven't gotten it yet, but I wanna see if it reduces the play and kick in my wheel.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TunaSoda:

Comparing Shrockworks to Calmini is like comparing Makita to Black & Decker
I was using what Jim from Shrockworks did for one of his customers as an example of good business.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 04/04/07 03:35 PM

Quote:
anyone can have good luck and it seems alot do, more so if you live on the west coast.
I can't explain why, but through all my investigating of this matter (not just Jeffs either), this statement seems to ring true. Of course, that's only of right coast people w/ a gripe. I'm working on it.. smile

Gene, I have a set of used IAB bushings, PM me your addy.

Jeff, check your PM too.
Posted by: fhqwgads

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 05/04/07 04:51 AM

are you kidding me, "get over it" get over faulty parts, get over bad customer service, get over more than $500 dollars, get over being lied to. maybe he would if there wasn't such blinded fandom going on here, oh that's right, this site is owned by Calmini, by Calmini, for Calmini, let's all hail Calmini and their minions.

I mean honestly, anyone who knows jeff, know's no one pays more attention to details, he's the one a lot of us here in the North East go to with questions because of his sheer knowledge of the Xterra, trucks, and off-roading. We who personally deal with him, and off road with him, know all the details, so why don't you get off your Calmini fandom asses.

Steve basically implied, I'm a big company, you're a lowly spec, you'll get it on my terms, if you even do at all... All because Jeff took a stand against him and his faulty parts. Don't know about you, but that's not someone I'd want to do business with. And I can tell you this, that pushed me away from Calmini products and went towards others. All I really want is good service, quality parts, and treated with respect.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 05/04/07 05:13 AM

Not to go off topic - or possibly to get on topic - SLR has a great product. Yes, it's a little higher priced than some of the others, but it's solid, straightforward to install and feels great to drive.

So, if you're having problems with your current steering and want to use it as an opportunity to replace it, I'd highly recommend the SLR system.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 05/04/07 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
Quote:
Originally posted by TunaSoda:
[b].

Comparing Shrockworks to Calmini is like comparing Makita to Black & Decker
I was using what Jim from Shrockworks did for one of his customers as an example of good business.[/b]
I just thought the idea was funny laugh

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 05/04/07 07:17 AM

Svendog, are you using the Econ or the Full SLR steering system?

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 05/04/07 07:45 AM

I'm pretty sure L&P are back up, atleast the web site is responsive once again.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 05/04/07 03:26 PM

Quote:
Svendog, are you using the Econ or the Full SLR steering system?
Full system.
I actually had the econ in my hands, saw Shmitty's full system and decided to trade up. While the econ looks good and looks like it can do the job, once I decided to put a body lift in, I knew 33s were in my future, which would do better with a better steering system.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 05/04/07 04:18 PM

Having helped Svendog install his SLR steering a few weeks ago, I can say that it is really very nice and the install is much easier than the Calmini. You can put it on without changing the alignment and you basically pull off the old and put on the new. It is really well made.

My only concern, although I don't know that it will ever be a problem, is the brace for the idler arm. It attaches where the stock tow hook goes. I have broken off three of those tow hooks, in heavy rock crawling and I am not sure I would want to plow that into a rock. Again, I don't know that this is true, but, I just wonder from my own experiences. laugh

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 05/04/07 07:08 PM

Good point Dagger..
I've heard that Spencer's re-doing his idler arm brace, which may provide some better results.

That said, I'm not going to worry too much for now because I know a couple of good spotters - and one of them makes some killer chicken.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 06/04/07 06:00 AM

Quote:

As a business major, business manager and holder of mucho common sense laugh ....The customer is always right. You want their business and the business of other's? Give them a good product and service to support that product.
Business Major too, I have one comment to add to this thread, and this "Steve" should have payed attention to business basics, which has been discussed already in this thread. And I for one hope that Calmini is reading this basic math lesson:

Customer + Good Experience = May not tell anyone or only up to 5 people. (If I remember correctly)

Customer + Bad Experience = Will tell 25 or more people about the experience, and those 25 will tell others. This only increases with the use of the internet.

I have no clue, as well as anyone else, what was ACTUALLY said between the two, or rather remember how I got to reading this thread, but the above is what I will take from this thread. Calmini has questionable quality service / product. Whether I purchase from them or not, they are already in the set of manufacturers that I will be hesitant to look at because I stumbled across this thread. Whether it be true or not, at the root someone was dissatisfied with their service resulting in the bad experience description. This being said, I would side with the customer on this one, because 25+ negative hits for your company name is not good. I don't care if your company is big or small, it effects you in some way. And I know for damn sure Calmini isn't a big enough company in a big enough market to not have effects from this, they just don't realize it. Just ask TacoBell how they've been doing lately. /Rant

At the end of it, a forum members question post got ruined by an off topic that we are all guilty of.
Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 10/04/07 07:43 AM

Quote:
My only concern, although I don't know that it will ever be a problem, is the brace for the idler arm. It attaches where the stock tow hook goes. I have broken off three of those tow hooks, in heavy rock crawling and I am not sure I would want to plow that into a rock. Again, I don't know that this is true, but, I just wonder from my own experiences.
I noticed that as well when I ordered my slr system in 2003 or so.
I've been using the IA brace from 4x4parts with the SLR system and have had no issues.

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 10/04/07 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Svendog:
Good point Dagger..
I've heard that Spencer's re-doing his idler arm brace, which may provide some better results.

That said, I'm not going to worry too much for now because I know a couple of good spotters - and one of them makes some killer chicken.
Is it cannibalism when a turkey cooks chicken?? :p
Posted by: TJ

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 10/04/07 07:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Svendog:
[b]Good point Dagger..

Is it cannibalism when a turkey cooks chicken?? :p [/b]
No, cannabalism would require the turkey to eat, not merely cook, a turkey...as cannabalism means eating your own species....and a chicken is a different kind of bird than a turkey.

Now, Dagger makes some wicked chicken, and, if I WERE a chicken, but knew how good Dagger makes it taste, I'd be very conflicted.

And perhaps a bit worried about becoming delicious myself, etc.

Oh - and the ball joints are a likely uspect as mentioned.

And my Calmini steering kit lasted about 80K so far...I did re-torque it once, last year, and I lube it religiously with Mobil1 synthetic grease...and I tend to wheel a bit aggressively, so it has had a work out....and survived.

Everyone I wheel with who had the Calmini steering though had trouble with it, and problems getting cooperation from Calmini were common....like needing to send them the part(s) first...so the truck has no steering until Calmini sends them a replacement, etc.

So either I'm a really good installer/maintainer..or I was lucky.

laugh

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 11/04/07 02:58 PM

Quote:
What about a Pelican eating a Pigeon? wink

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 11/04/07 03:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
What about a Pelican eating a Pigeon? wink
Dan that was just disturbing.. eek [LOL] [LOL]

Hey did you get my PM by the way?

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 11/04/07 03:16 PM

Ok, sorry, I fell off the loop but caught up with all the reading. After all of that, I went with Calmini. Why you ask? Because I e-mailed L&P many times and nothing. I called Calmini just for fun to see if 1) they would answer, and 2) if they had the steering in stock. Turns out they answered, the guy was really nice AND the product was on my doorstep in 3 days.
I don't know what my steering problem was, everything when I took it off looked good still and was still tight. So no clue. But I installed the steering and drove it around the block, albeit needing a alignment badly now, still had the steering wheel to the left, maybe even worse now. I went to get the alignment fixed today, I had to make an appointment. So I will update you tomorrow after the alignment and maybe then it will uncover what was wrong.
What I did notice though was when I pull out of my driveway and go off the curb to the street, the steering wheel doesn't try to spin out of my hands, that was a real treat. That and every bump in the road doesn't feel like it could be my last. I am more than positive my old steering was worn and I should have upgraded a long time ago, I have just been lazy. As for Calmini, I went to school in Bakersfield so shipping was a 2 mile drive for my 3" lift. I have had nothing go bad [minus the squeaks] with my SL, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for my steering...

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 11/04/07 03:38 PM

I did and they're being shipped this friday [ThumbsUp] .
(No warranty implied or expressed as to the condition or functionality of product wink )

Re: steering problem (I know I know) - 12/04/07 07:58 AM

Quote:
I did and they're being shipped this friday [ThumbsUp] .
(No warranty implied or expressed as to the condition or functionality of product wink )
HAHAHA thanks man..Like I said they're just until I replace my system.. wink