Bilstein Shocks Installation Help

Posted by: bvimiguel

Bilstein Shocks Installation Help - 02/07/12 09:36 AM

I'm installing 2 Bilstein F4-B46-1099-H2 (24-187824) on the front of my 2001 SE 4wd. for the top mount they provide you with 2 cylindrical shaped rubber bushings. When tightening do you tighten the nut on the top of the shaft until the bushings are flattened out and oval shaped or if not how much do you tighten them? Also does the dust boot just sit on top of the snap ring on the shaft or is it secured somehow? On the bottom mount do you tighten the nut until you can't tighten anymore or is there a place where you should stop?

On the rear I'm installing 2 Bilstein F4-B46-2126-H1 (24-184908). Again how much do I tighten the upper mount and lower mount nuts?

I don't have a torque wrench so I need some way to figure out how much to tighten everything. On the front tops is measuring the space between the top & bottom crush washers a good way and if so what should the space be?

I know these are pretty basic questions but I want to make sure that I install them correctly.
Posted by: NY Madman

Re: Bilstein Shocks Installation Help - 02/07/12 07:40 PM

Maybe this will help ......

The link below is the section for the 2001 Xterra Service Manual dealing with the suspension system.

Save the file to your local hard drive (there is a "Save" link in the menu at top), then view it with your local PDF reader software.

You'll want to look at pages 12 and 13. On page 12 the torque values are listed in both Metric and English.

https://viewer.zoho.com/docs/nc3x8

The torque values might be only for the OEM shocks. You might want to doublecheck with Bilstien recommendations too.

Re: Bilstein Shocks Installation Help - 02/07/12 10:14 PM

Thanks for the link/file, it'll come in handy in the future. My problem right now is that I'm in Mexico and I don't have access to a torque wrench. That's why I'm looking for some type of measurement or a way to eyeball the spacing on the top fronts.

Re: Bilstein Shocks Installation Help - 02/07/12 11:31 PM

I'm in Southern Baja (Mexico) and am about 100 miles from a place where I can either buy or use a torque wrench. The shocks are installed. Is it better if the nuts are too loose (within reason) or too tight while I'm driving the X to where I can buy a wrench?
Posted by: NY Madman

Re: Bilstein Shocks Installation Help - 03/07/12 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bvimiguel
I'm in Southern Baja (Mexico) and am about 100 miles from a place where I can either buy or use a torque wrench. The shocks are installed. Is it better if the nuts are too loose (within reason) or too tight while I'm driving the X to where I can buy a wrench?

Don't leave the nuts loose. Tighten them up, but don't over-tighten by putting all your strength into it. Use your best judgement.

I have to ask.....

Why did you decide to take on a repair project so far from any place to buy things?

Anything can happen during a repair. Your wrench could break... other things could break ... all requiring a trip to a store.