So who's using Mozilla Firefox?

Posted by: electrobuzz

So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 20/01/05 07:59 PM

It may be the placebo effect, but pages seem to load quicker than in IE6. I also like the web site titles next to the browser address. Additionally, the drop down tab with several search engines is quite handy.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 20/01/05 08:02 PM

Ive been using it for quite a while now. I absolutely love it, mainly cause IE5 and IE6 were both messing up my computer and wouldnt load at times. Since i mad the switch, no problems whatsoever.

[ThumbsUp]
Posted by: Xorand

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 20/01/05 08:18 PM

Been using it for several months now. Other than a very occasional page that loads funny, it works great.

One feature I like is when those popup windows with embedded media players appear (like on a News site, etc.), once the media starts playing, you can right-click on the window, select "View Page Info", select the "Media" tab, scroll down the list until you find the name of the movie file and click on it, click on the "Save As" button and save the movie to your hard drive.

Works most of the time, except for when the file is one of those Windows Media reference files (ASPX or something like that). Works great for MOV, MPG and WMA files.

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 20/01/05 08:52 PM

Use it love it!!
Posted by: superjens

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 20/01/05 09:14 PM

I can't get used to it, I'm an Opera fan myself. One window, everything in tabs, everything works, no stupid plugins, no complaints. laugh
Posted by: Samueul

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 07:37 AM

I've been using it for a while, and other than it being "lite" and technically more secure than IE, I haven't found it to be any faster or more stable.... I recently have actually started getting popups and some downloadtrojan.ject viruses coming through... no lie... This is on a WinXP Pro SP2 workstation with firewall enabled, behind a hard firewall. So I really think the theory of, more users = bigger bullseye is starting to take effect with Firefox. Time will tell if it is truly as secure etc.. as all the FOSS groups are saying....

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 08:06 AM

I love it, and will never go back

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 08:13 AM

It's allright, Didn't notice any real improvements, but had d/l'd and started using due to a "Patch or Hotfix" that screwed up IE6. It wouldn't load links that you'd click on. Removed the patch and now use IE6 again.
I did like how easy it was to install Firefox and how it pulled in all the favorites and cookies. Nice [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: Coop

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 08:21 AM

I use it, but am dissapointed with it's memory footprint. Some people claim firefox is light... But to me 80 meg with 4 tabs open isn't exactly light.

It's better than Mozilla, or of course Netscape, but it isn't inherently better than IE... And you will find that once people begin to target it, it will become just as much of a problem for people who do not keep current on updates as IE is.

The only reason I use it is because I like tabbed browsing. With the TabBrowser 1.1.1 extension it works well. They should really roll that into the core.

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Use it love it!!
Ditto.

No more popups!
Posted by: jerseydevi1

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 09:20 AM

Use it, love it, converted all 6 machines at home to it!
Posted by: jorge

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 09:32 AM

Well, I like FireFox, though I only use it when developing. I like the JavaScript console.

Though what I don't like it is the integration, or lack there of, with Windows.

I'm used to just puting in h:\ into the address bar and well, seeing the contents of the h: network drive.

It may seem trival but FireFox really doesn't have that many advantages over IE so this gives IE the leg up in my case.

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 09:40 AM

See, those complaints you guys have with Firefox ... Opera's got it all covered. Lighter footprint, does the H:\ thing beautifully, and in every instance I've tested always loads faster than both IE and Firefox.

http://www.opera.com/ laugh
Posted by: electrobuzz

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 09:51 AM

Coop, thanks for the heads up on 1.1.1. Tabbed browsing is damn cool.

Opera does look pretty sharp... superjens, did you help develop it, or what? laugh

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 09:52 AM

FireFox is good, however I don't think that it loads pages any faster. As far as for security, yes, they do offer a few more features than the IE, but as posted above, as soon as FireFox will become targeted they will have the same problems as IE. But for now - works great and I like it.
Posted by: spalind

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 09:56 AM

I'm on a Mac and use Safari 90% of the time...usually much faster than the Mac version of IE...been tempted to try Firefox but not yet...
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I'm used to just puting in h:\ into the address bar and well, seeing the contents of the h: network drive.
You can put a drive letter into the address bar of Firefox just fine (it converts it into a file:// url and displays it like an ftp site). Perhaps you're using an older version?

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
I'm on a Mac and use Safari 90% of the time...usually much faster than the Mac version of IE...been tempted to try Firefox but not yet...
I use Firefox on the Mac and it works great. Its really nice having the exact same browser experience on the Mac at home, and the PC at work.
Posted by: Coop

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 11:21 AM

A lot of you might also want to use the BBCode extension... It allows you to do things like paste as a BBCode Image tag or URL tag...

I use the TabBrowser 1.1.1, BBCode and the Mouse Gestures 1.0 extensions... Makes it into a pretty nice browser.
Posted by: TremorX

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 01:08 PM

Nope. IE only. Firefox doesn't work with OWA, and that's something I need to make frequent use of. Tabbed browsing sucks, I like having multiple windows up. It plays GIFs improperly, and it hangs and crashes constantly. Never had a single problem with IE, popups or spyware on my systems, so I've never had a reason to switch. I tried it to see what all the hubub was about, but it was like going back to IE 2 that came with Windows 95.

Anyone who actually has problems with spyware and popups and browser hijacks probably fucking deserves them, anyway.

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 01:36 PM

I use Firefox, and switched to Thunderbird for email, but went back to Outlook. I love Firefox, though!

Tabbed browsing =
Posted by: jorge

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 21/01/05 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris McCracken:
You can put a drive letter into the address bar of Firefox just fine (it converts it into a file:// url and displays it like an ftp site). Perhaps you're using an older version?
Yes, I can see it as if I'm seeing the directory list from a site, but this has no use to me, I would like to access it was if I was using the explorer.
Posted by: Origami Gangsta

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 22/01/05 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
Nope. IE only. Firefox doesn't work with OWA, and that's something I need to make frequent use of. Tabbed browsing sucks, I like having multiple windows up. It plays GIFs improperly, and it hangs and crashes constantly. Never had a single problem with IE, popups or spyware on my systems, so I've never had a reason to switch. I tried it to see what all the hubub was about, but it was like going back to IE 2 that came with Windows 95.

Anyone who actually has problems with spyware and popups and browser hijacks probably fucking deserves them, anyway.
Dude, calm down! :p

To each their own. I like tabbed browsing. My computer is running like the shitbox it is (though I have a new Dell coming in within the week) and it runs better on the tabs. If you don't like it, hey, like I said, to each their own.
Posted by: gmaxis

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 22/01/05 01:00 AM

Another Mozilla Firefox fan right here! Sometimes I switch to IE if video links don't open on Firefox.
Posted by: fastdrmr

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 22/01/05 04:01 PM

WIRED Feb. 2005 has a nice write up on Firefox. I have it installed at work but just downloaded it to my home computer. Need to get used to it and hopefully get rid of all the spyware that keeps popping up.
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 22/01/05 09:32 PM

It works fantastic! I got NO pop-ups! Laods faster and doesn't have crap I don't want!
Posted by: BOOM

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 22/01/05 10:37 PM

what about AVANT BROWSER anyine use that ... i have been on it for over 2 years now or so .. and i think it is a nice little pop up stopper and i keep my pages on here all the time until i wanna shut down .. i click save all open pages and exit.
when i come on next time i open it up and all the pages i had open before come up ... and then i minimize them and work on some that i have up ... there is short cuts.. like "M" is for www.midwestxterraowners.com and "X" os for www.xterraownersclub.com well if you have it the only thing i would like to see on it is a MINIMIZE all that would be kick ass....

thanks and talk to you later...
[Wave] [Wave]

BOOM

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 23/01/05 09:19 AM

I actually prefer Mozilla, to mozilla firefox, but that's because I use the features that mozilla provides. if I were to just want to browse firefox would do just fine. I also find that pages do load faster with mozilla over IE, but that could just be me wishing it was faster.
Posted by: InfX708

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 24/01/05 06:29 AM

I love Firefox. How can anyone not like tabbed browsing? I have a 43" DLP TV "monitor" and would still run out of space on the taskbar if it weren't for tabs. Didn't know about the media tab - will have to check that out sometime.

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 24/01/05 12:36 PM

Been running on K-Meleon today. I don't have any real opinions yet. I read an article, it seems to be based on a lot of Firefox code. Here
Posted by: off2cjb

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 25/01/05 09:39 AM

I've been using it for months and love it. the tabbed browsing is great. The bookmark manager is great. The calendar is great. There are lots more great extensions available as well.

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 17/02/05 10:32 PM

edit: started new thread cause I thougt it would be more important
Posted by: chupasierras

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 18/05/05 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by electrobuzz:
Coop, thanks for the heads up on 1.1.1. Tabbed browsing is damn cool.
Now IE7 Has Tabs :rolleyes:

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 18/05/05 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Abiel Guerra:
Quote:
Originally posted by electrobuzz:
[b]Coop, thanks for the heads up on 1.1.1. Tabbed browsing is damn cool.
Now IE7 Has Tabs :rolleyes: [/b]
Ugh, I hope you can turn that crap off easily

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 18/05/05 05:05 PM

Eh? Tabs rock dude.

Oh yeah, and Opera > Firepoo laugh

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 18/05/05 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
Eh? Tabs rock dude.

Oh yeah, and Opera > Firepoo laugh
When your workflow for years has involved frequent use of ALT-TAB for just about everything (going between folders, apps like Photoshop or Illustrator, pulling up a reference image or two in IE, and whatever else), the tabs are a huge nuisance.

Plus they're redundant, XP's bar already categorizes things when it starts getting full. I used Firefox for a month and hated it. Maybe I'm a loser for it, but I'm happy to stick with Microsoft for just about everything. So, I'm hoping IE7 has an easy way to turn it off so I don't get mired with what I see as a horrible flaw and an unacceptable break in workflow.
Posted by: Samueul

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 19/05/05 05:21 AM

Firefox Drawbacks.

BIG NUMBER 1. Update SUCKS! ASS! Why does it have to download and install a completely new version each time they fix something? Why does the update not cleanup it's mess and uninstall the old versions. I currently have 1, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, and 1.04 on my workstation (well I don't after I manually un-installed the previous versions).

2. Bookmarks still get corrupted sometimes.

3. Gifs don't animate "properly"

4. Movie plugins suck, Constant hang ups and glitches when playing streaming videos etc..

That said. I use them both, and have never had a major issue with popups, spyware, viruses etc.. Common Sense is the key.

For those of you who say "I have no popups in FF" you don't browse the web a lot. Go to snopes.com and see if anything happens......
Posted by: MBFlyerfan

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 19/05/05 05:52 AM

I have been using it on occasion. The one thing I dont like is that it doesnt play msn video. Always asks for the WMP plugin, (which I have)

I do like the different themes, (I use the walnut) but it doesnt seem to be any faster than IE. I can take it or leave it.
Posted by: chupasierras

Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox? - 19/05/05 09:18 AM

TremorX its right about alt-tab... last night I was doing that with 18 "tabs" in firefox... [Geek]

Well, may be we shouldn´t fall in love with any browser... it is known that Google its working in a browser (Google registered gbrowser.com) and Ben Goodger, design engineer of Firefox, its working at Google ...