"Americanized" HVAC controls?

Posted by: NSANY

"Americanized" HVAC controls? - 07/06/05 04:17 PM

Anyone else notice that for 2005, Nissan seems to have taken a page out of the American manufacturer's playbooks regarding the HVAC controls?

Max A/C - puts on recirc and face-only vent automatically?

Defroster now automatically turns on the A/C in stealth?

Not that I mind, but it's a bit of a departure from the typical Burger King-esque approach to HVAC controls that most Asian manufacturers take where you can have it all your way: A/C on/off, recirc on/off, face, face and feet, feet, feet and defrost.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 07/06/05 04:52 PM

My a/c always comes on when the defrost and fan are on and when outside temp is above freezing and there is no way to turn it off. I know that this defogs quicker but I don't like having my a/c on the majority of the time, reducing mileage/power etc. Bad idea from Nissan...especially when my friend has the ability to turn the a/c off in his KIA! [Crybaby]

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 07/06/05 04:53 PM

It's been discussed...

I still don't like it dumbed-down like that though.

[ThumbsDown]

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 07/06/05 05:38 PM

It isn't quite that bad. If it is Ford then you can only have the ac in the face. At least with Nissan you can have it blow on your legs, or a combo of the two.

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 07/06/05 08:03 PM

I feel the controls are a nice balance, and easy to use, BUT I would prefer being able to override the A/C and have a direct outside ventilation control. I do like the big, easy to use controls though.(and especially on the Fosgate system) [ThumbsUp]

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 08/06/05 06:18 AM

I realized something (doesn't happen a lot, but once in a while). Anyway, you can have A/C on and have it on floor, floor/console, etc. Just push the A/C button and then move it to the airflow path that you like. Also if you want Max A/C then just push AC and the interior air recycle button and then you can move it on any airflow that you like. Basically you can have Max A/C on any combo that you like.

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 08/06/05 08:23 AM

Offroadx had a post entitled "Disabling A/C Auto-On During Defrost". I don't know how to link it, but check out his post on "Xterra Firma" in the how to section.

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 08/06/05 10:57 AM

I thought all vehicles ran the a/c compressor in defrost mode. My last four did.
Posted by: NSANY

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 08/06/05 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:
I thought all vehicles ran the a/c compressor in defrost mode. My last four did.
My 98 Pathy didn't. Don't even remember what my Z did.

Re: "Americanized" HVAC controls? - 09/06/05 08:58 AM

Having the AC on does help get the moisture out of the air for faster defrosting.

On my ZR2 in the summertime, I just unplug one wire on the big aluminum can thing and it won't run the AC anymore. Just have to remember to plug it in and run it once a month so the pump stays lubricated.