6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories

Posted by: Anonymous

6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 16/03/06 05:25 PM

the lack of a "push" instruction molded onto the gear shift knob just about guarantees that MT-6 owners should pass on the lo-jack.

I got stuck when the sales dept was finished with me. the overview on the alarm and gizmos was good, but they gotta tell ppl right off about the reverse lock out in the shift gate.

worse was when I loaned the X for a test drive to my friend and his girl. They were stuck in the road way with traffic piling up behind them with no clue. :p

you don't normally need to give special instructions, but it does remind me of when american cars started putting clutch pedal starter switches on ignitions in the 80's.

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 16/03/06 06:07 PM

People got spoiled by the invention of 5 speed.

I learned to push down on my 4 speed Mini and my 6 speed Z. laugh

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 16/03/06 11:03 PM

The first half hour I had my X i parked at at Taco Bell and it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to put it in reverse !! Now I find it funny when you have a buddy test driving your rig and they stall it 50 times trying to back out of a parking stall since they keep hitting 6th gear instead of reverse smile

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 05:04 AM

what makes it more confusing, is that not all 6 speeds work the same way...the new Taco you just jerk it past first to get to reverse...no pushing down at all.

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 05:31 AM

It is like my Jetta that doesn't even tell you where Reverse is! You have to push down 1st gear to get it into reverse. Nothing like trying to test drive the car and beign stuck in the parking spot.

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lj1983:
what makes it more confusing, is that not all 6 speeds work the same way...the new Taco you just jerk it past first to get to reverse...no pushing down at all.
That pisses me off. You do get a buzzer, but reverse lock out is in a wierd position and u need to force it in there.

VW. Push down up and to the left.

64' Mustang with a 4-speed is down and to the left with a lock out lever.

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 06:34 AM

just reminded me of the grandaddy of all can't get it in reverse stories.

my dad bought a 91 ZR-1 vette when they were new (and the shit) and he let me drive it. I went to the store and couldn't get it out of the lot. I had to read the owners manual to realize the reverse lockout was a pull up finger ring just above the leather boot. doh!

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 06:48 AM

I am in NE Ohio, My dealer has no idea who he is selling to. All he has on the lot is Silver lightning. That is what I got. I try to convince him, he don't budge been that way for like - ever. I like the color though, easy to maintain and does not show scratches much.

MC

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 07:03 AM

I must admit, when I was parked at the dealer and got in to drive my X home, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out reverse. I figure it's a big conspiracy on the part of the sales guys, they hand you the keys, then they all crowd around the window placing bets on how long it will take you to figure out reverse! smile

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 07:26 AM

When I had both the BMW Z4 and the Jeep Wrangler I figured it was just a matter of time before I put one of them through the wall and into the kitchen; reverse in the Z4 was to the left and up; reverse in the Jeep was to the right and down. eek

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by USMC XTERRA:
I am in NE Ohio, My dealer has no idea who he is selling to. All he has on the lot is Silver lightning. That is what I got. I try to convince him, he don't budge been that way for like - ever. I like the color though, easy to maintain and does not show scratches much.

MC
MC are you okay? Little too much time on the road last night? This is a post about Manual tranni's and not did you get the color you wanted forum.

[Smoking]

Re: 6 speed manual transmission- reverse lockout blunder stories - 17/03/06 09:46 AM

I went with an ex-girlfriend to take delivery of her new jetta a couple of years ago. While attempting to pull out of the parking lot she thought she put the car in reverse, completely turns around to make sure she wouldn't hit another car ( it was a volkswagen/ porsche dealer) on the lot, her foot slips off of the clutch because some jackass armor all'd the pedal, and it jumped forward into a mid 80's rolls royce. I tried as hard as I could to not laugh, but it was funny.