shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100714 - 04/12/07 04:52 PM 1 faulty hub
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've searched the forums for this issue without success.

I found out that my front wheels do not engage on my 2001 SE. The 4x4 light comes on but the hubs do not engage. I took it to the local dealer who just phoned saying its was the left front hub causing the issue; replacement $400 (parts and labour). Would the failure of 1 hub cause total lack of power to the front or just the wheel on the faulty side?

We had a storm this weekend and only the backend was spinning in the slush the front was not. Seems to me if only 1 was faulty I would see three spinning on the ice.

Also if anyone put on the manual hubs, how much is the labour for such a project and do the warn 29091's that are markets for the 2000 fit on the 2001? I'm tempted to get them installed as I've had good experience with manual hubs (Aisin) on my 2000 Tacoma.

Thank you.

#100715 - 04/12/07 06:11 PM Re: 1 faulty hub
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, with an open front end, the tire with least resistance will spin. That being the hub that is not engaging.

Your money would be better spent on a good manual and a set of manual hubs. The hubs are an easy replacement. The only special tool you'll need is snap-ring plyers. And about 30 minutes to an hour at most.

#100716 - 04/12/07 07:00 PM Re: 1 faulty hub
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Replacing a hub really is simply. Factory hubs should be around $85 a piece. Warn manual hubs are about $160 a pair. Whether you keep automatic hubs or go to manual hubs, all you really need to replace them yourself is an allen wrench and snap-ring pliers. Shouldn't take you 30 minutes even if you're not very mechanically inclined. And you'll save yourself quite a bit of cash.

#100717 - 04/12/07 07:01 PM Re: 1 faulty hub
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Oh, I forgot to add that you can follow the first part of these directions to replace the hubs.
Instructions

#100718 - 04/12/07 07:25 PM Re: 1 faulty hub
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
The hubs that fit the 2000's will also fit the 2001.

There is a good comparision of the Warn Manuals versus the AVM manuals and the Warn Auto hubs in this thread

If I replace my Hubs again, I'll be going with the AVMs. They stick out less and are a bit cheaper than the Warns.

#100719 - 04/12/07 08:11 PM Re: 1 faulty hub
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you everyone, I spoke with the dealer and he was downplaying any advantage of a manual hub. Having physical issues I can't do the work myself so told him to go ahead. He says that he 'thinks' its just the left hub. If it's both then I'll insist on getting the manuals. Thanks again.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal