2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101206 - 29/07/03 01:15 AM confused...
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey, i may come off sounding moronic but this is my first 4x4 and im not quite sure how to use it. but can someone please help me out by explaining the correct methods of using the 4wd. like can i go from 2 wheel to 4 wheel while im driving or does the truck need to be off and standing still? input please

#101207 - 29/07/03 04:56 AM Re: confused...
conker69 Offline

Man are you going to get yelled at for not searching. You know you could look behind the drivers side visor or the owners manual for help. But since I am a nice guy:

You can shift to 4H under 20 MPH or while not moving either is fine. It is best to shift while on level ground or at least somewhat level in order for the hubs to lock. Once the hubs are locked they stay locked until you move in the opposite direction in 2H. But as long as they are locked, you can shift into 4H at any speed. For 4L, you must stop, put the truck in neutral, then shift. Do the same in reverse to go back to 2H or 4H.

#101208 - 29/07/03 10:47 AM Re: confused...
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
turning off your motor has nothing to do with your transfer case shifting, just do a search and i'm sure you will have more information than you read in a day.

#101209 - 13/08/03 09:08 PM Re: confused...
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by nismo31:
hey, i may come off sounding moronic but this is my first 4x4 and im not quite sure how to use it. but can someone please help me out by explaining the correct methods of using the 4wd. like can i go from 2 wheel to 4 wheel while im driving or does the truck need to be off and standing still? input please
Being a noobie on 4x4 myself...I did alot of reading before I went out on uncharted territory...and went out and found decent 4x4 terrain, so I could get familiar with the shifting of the transfer case...a "hands-on" if you will....

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#101210 - 13/08/03 09:22 PM Re: confused...
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Basically - -unless you getting into 4L you dont have to stop. Basic shifting described behind your visor, and if you up to using 4L - then you just remember to put your tranny into N, and then push transfer case knob down and towards yourself, then switch to either D or 1 (for first time you might want to use 1, as it will give you "feel" of how your truck handles). Always remember to unlock your hubs (requires going in opposite direction for like 3-5 feets) before getting on highway , unless you expect to fight some snow. Do not use 4wd on regular road unless its slippery, and try to avoid 4wd on gravel, unless you feel its absolutely necessary - i.e you feel that truck goes funny. And never be afraid to ask someone on trail if you feels like you need to ask. Most of wheeling people always glad to help fellow wheeler.

#101211 - 14/08/03 10:03 AM Re: confused...
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by conker69:
It is best to shift while on level ground or at least somewhat level in order for the hubs to lock. Once the hubs are locked they stay locked until you move in the opposite direction in 2H. But as long as they are locked, you can shift into 4H at any speed.
Hate to be anal, but the hubs don't lock, they engage. Hubs can only be locked if the vehicle has manual hubs and you actually put them into the locked position. It really doesn't make a difference if you are on level ground or not. The hubs don't engage until the axle starts to rotate, in either direction.

-Michael

#101212 - 17/08/03 12:43 PM Re: confused...
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Uzbad is right, come to GOX it's the perfect place to start out using 4WD. The trails range from easy to moderate so that by the end of the week you'll feel very confident offroad. Then if you feel like you want the advanced training goto Moab the weekend after and hit some more advanced trails.

Quote:
Originally posted by nismo31:
hey, i may come off sounding moronic but this is my first 4x4 and im not quite sure how to use it. but can someone please help me out by explaining the correct methods of using the 4wd.

Xterra101.com

#101213 - 17/08/03 02:20 PM Re: confused...
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97:
Uzbad is right, come to GOX it's the perfect place to start out using 4WD. The trails range from easy to moderate so that by the end of the week you'll feel very confident offroad. Then if you feel like you want the advanced training goto Moab the weekend after and hit some more advanced trails.
Nope, i am not. Its been kind of revised.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal