2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101456 - 04/03/01 11:40 PM Hard to part away from my X!
yellowX Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
It's been two months since I purchased my solar yellow, 2WD SE 2001 Xterra, and I still can't believe that I am really driving one. I have been driving sedans and a family van for years and had no idea this SUV was sooooo fun to drive and use.

This past weekend, I took a nice drive from Austin to New Braunfels to follow a caravan of avid scuba divers to dive a part of the Comal river. All my scuba gear and tank fits just great back there. While traveling down I-35 South, I was amazed that the SUV could pass up two huge trucks (18 wheelers) like a breeze. Once we got there, I suited up in my wetsuit in the back seat with no problem. After the dive, it did rain a little and that meant puddles on the road. Going through those shallow road puddles was a joy. The next day, I drove my old Dodge Van just to drive it around. I went through those same puddles with the van and trust me, it's not the same feel as the Xterra.

To end this story, I agree my X is not as fun as a 4X4, but as compared to what I was driving before (i.e. '77 Subaru, '84 Volvo, '88 Dodge Van) nothing beats my Xterra to how it handles.

Unless my career or life takes me to snow, mountain, or desert where a 4x4 is a must, my 2WD will rule for now........

------------------

#101457 - 05/03/01 06:17 AM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
Quote:
Originally posted by yellowX:

Unless my career or life takes me to snow, mountain, or desert where a 4x4 is a must, my 2WD will rule for now........

Mine did. Although I'll admit that had I stayed in Texas, I'd still have an '00 2WD. And be VERY pleased with it.

------------------

#101458 - 05/03/01 06:21 PM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
Moreaux76 Offline

Loc: The Center of Hell, Florida
I live in the hellhole that is florida...and over here in the desert i only neeeded 2WD. Just got my XE 3-pak in Just Blue a few weeks ago and love it to death. It is awesome! Long live the 2WD! Yeah baby!

------------------
--How many posts to rid the "lurker" title?--

2001 XE
Just Blue
4x2 3-pak

#101459 - 06/03/01 09:02 AM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
my 4x2 00' Blue SE just had it's one year birthday. I look forward to getting old with it and my wife. When we go on a FLXX outing we just ride with some of the others and it is always so nice to come back to camp to have a nice clean truck waiting for us.

She said I had to talk about her every time I talk about my truck. But she did not say what order i had to do it in.

------------------
Allen Powell
Gator Saver
------------
Real Men Wear Kilts
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#101460 - 06/03/01 01:39 PM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
Moreaux76 Offline

Loc: The Center of Hell, Florida
Heehee, Gator. I am gonna try that: mention something spectacular about my fiance right after I talk about my spectacular X. I am getting married in July, and she will go under my car insurance. Then she will also get to drive it, and she will know the feeling of driving an X. But only I own it! :-)

------------------
--How many posts to rid the "lurker" title?--

2001 XE
Just Blue
4x2 3-pak

#101461 - 06/03/01 07:20 PM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
unbelievable, 2wd owners speak out! awesome!
glad everyone is enjoying their trucks and this 2wd forum without someone saying,"...its useless without 4wd" (which is total b.s.)

It is realistic for a 'regular' suv driver not to use 4wd for years on end (in so calif, anyway).
i do alot of road trips (recently humboldt nat'l, big sur, big bear, etc) and have never needed 4wd. the ground clearance and capability of the xterra have been exceptional-"even in 2wd"!gasp!

the simple fact is that we live in a highly developed, highly populated country where even the 'getaway areas' are maintained to some degree. my bud has used 4wd once in 4 years- and similar stories from others as well.

lest i outrage some owners, i think 4wd is useful in those areas where snowy roads are a problem- but AWD is more useful in that situation, to be honest. also, i know the awesome adventures of the off-road crowd could only be done by switching into 4wd.

i dont have those interests (although i really admire the off roaders on this and other xterra boards) or problems- there is a former jeep owner that posted a great commentary on this awhile back-
anyway, glad to see EVERYONE- 2wd&4wd enjoying their very useful, fun trucks.

------------------

#101462 - 07/03/01 09:15 AM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by neil:
glad everyone is enjoying their trucks and this 2wd forum without someone saying,"...its useless without 4wd" (which is total b.s.)

dont even get me started... i have been in some rather nasty flame wars with people over this... I think that was one of the initial factors that got me placed as moderator of this forum...

I love my X. and i do take it "off-road" it is far more capable than one would expect and far surpasses the ability of the toyota 4x2 pickup i used to own. you just have to be aware it is a 4x2 and know its limitations.

to each his own. I have to be honest i am considering trading my x in on a '02 4x4, but that is simply because i would like to be able to hit some trails definately outside the 4x2 realm... like snow covered trails in big bear, some of the tougher ones in anza borrego etc.(btw my 4x2 did quite well in Anza until i hit a trail rated "most difficult")

dont let the 4x2 bashing get you down, if you have a 4x2 x, you still have an x and think of it this way... you aren't paying the extra insurance on a 4x4

------------------
Undisputed Mercedes Killing Champion Of The Board
(Damn Those Trailer Hitches are handy)

#101463 - 07/03/01 07:25 PM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
whats that saying, "guys who drive corvettes have thick necks and small dicks."

if someone with a 4x4 has to justify his purchase by putting down someone else, thats just insecure, lil' weiner syndrome.

anything can get stuck, and you can find an excuse to use 4x4 but 'in the real world' of adventure/sport trips, doubletrack, fireroads, freeway and city; i would say the 2wd is near perfect.

glad youve been such an advocate todrick.

------------------

#101464 - 07/03/01 08:27 PM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
yellowX Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
dont let the 4x2 bashing get you down, if you have a 4x2 x, you still have an x and think of it this way... you aren't paying the extra insurance on a 4x4

FYI: Do not quote me and this may greatly differ in the state where you live, but GEICO quoted me a $22-$25 (Austin, TX) difference in my coverage if I were to go from a 2WD to a 4x4 Xterra. Thus, the difference is not too much higher.

The reason I could not get a 4WD at the time was because of my budget and Xmas debts. If and when my budget does improve (debts paid off, pay raise, etc.), I'll wait how the XOC rates the '02 models before I go out and get a new 4x4. I am just doing really swell with my 2WD right now that giving it up would be unthinkable and down right unimaginable.

yellowX

------------------

#101465 - 08/03/01 08:04 AM Re: Hard to part away from my X!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
try being a 25 year old male
with 1 accident and 3 tickets(2 speeding, 1 red light) in southern california

that number jumps signifigantly

------------------
Undisputed Mercedes Killing Champion Of The Board
(Damn Those Trailer Hitches are handy)

[This message has been edited by Todrick (edited 03-08-2001).]

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal