2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103951 - 07/02/07 12:04 PM 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone used/installed one? Not wanting to be radical, just 2-3" for bigger tires, (I'm on 31's now, stock) and to just look more aggressive. Not interested in the PML, because I don't want to crank the torsions. I remember doing that on a mini truck as a kid, and could never get the sides even. I would rather spend the coin and do it right. I was looking at:

h ttp://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/sho...8d8c9ac58167e7c

which is decently priced, (obviously cost + shocks) or this:

ht tp://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/sho...8d8c9ac58167e7c

Which is more, but looks to be a better kit. (Anyone know of a link to a different dealer for Rancho lifts for Xterras?)Either way, I wanted to hear opinions from others.

#103952 - 07/02/07 12:11 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

First off, doing a suspension lift doesn't allow for better tire clearance. In order to go up to a 33 or 34 you would need to get a body lift in order to clear the tires under turning and compression.

#103953 - 07/02/07 12:20 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to add, You will be cranking the t-bars no matter what(a PML or full 3"). A 2" BL is the way to go, much cheaper then a SL. I dont think you will be doing much wheelin anyways.

#103954 - 07/02/07 12:31 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Obviously, being 2wd, I won't be doing any serious off roading, but I do ride the trails out at the lake a lot, which have several big hills and valleys. I guess what I meant about "larger tires" is that I need more ground clearance, and I wasn't thinking BL, since that will leave the suspension where it is, and just lift the body up. I should have been clearer, and I apologize.

BTW: What is the general downsides to the BL? Also, I have seen numerous references to the PML, but how do you guarantee that you have cranked the torsions the same on both sides? And there isn't any negatives (aside from needing a new alignment, which is assumed) to cranking the torsions all the way up?

#103955 - 07/02/07 01:00 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk:
Obviously, being 2wd, I won't be doing any serious off roading, but I do ride the trails out at the lake a lot, which have several big hills and valleys. I guess what I meant about "larger tires" is that I need more ground clearance, and I wasn't thinking BL, since that will leave the suspension where it is, and just lift the body up. I should have been clearer, and I apologize.

BTW: What is the general downsides to the BL? Also, I have seen numerous references to the PML, but how do you guarantee that you have cranked the torsions the same on both sides? And there isn't any negatives (aside from needing a new alignment, which is assumed) to cranking the torsions all the way up?
If I were you I would do a BL to allow for the larger tires. There really isn't a downside to this as it doesn't change your COG as much as a SL would.

#103956 - 07/02/07 01:28 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

when you lift the suspension, your diff still sits at the same height. the only way to truly lift every aspect of the truck up is to run bigger tires, which is done through a BL

#103957 - 07/02/07 05:15 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Ummmm.....not necessarily true. A suspension or body lift will still keep the diffs at the same height unless larger diameter tires are installed. Both accomplish the same end result though. The body lift will clear more room for obstacels but only on the body not the frame which is where bumpers or rock rails are attached unless you mount it to work with the body lift. For this purpose the body lift is the right choice for the look and feel. Post some pics when the work is done!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#103958 - 07/02/07 06:04 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gprsh924:
when you lift the suspension, your diff still sits at the same height. the only way to truly lift every aspect of the truck up is to run bigger tires, which is done through a BL
Correct

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra3202:
Ummmm.....not necessarily true. A suspension or body lift will still keep the diffs at the same height unless larger diameter tires are installed. Both accomplish the same end result though. The body lift will clear more room for obstacels but only on the body not the frame which is where bumpers or rock rails are attached unless you mount it to work with the body lift. For this purpose the body lift is the right choice for the look and feel. Post some pics when the work is done!!!
Tim
Incorrect

#103959 - 08/02/07 12:04 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, so then all I really need is a 2" body lift, and hell, that ain't very expensive. I searched on the "how to" of the PML, but must have missed it. Anyone have a link?

Thanks for the good info.

#103960 - 08/02/07 01:27 PM Re: 2wd Suspension lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heres a great PML thread. It has pics of many different setups and on the 3rd page has instructions on the shackle installation and the T-Bar crank.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=73;t=001111;p=3#000042

Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out

[ThumbsUp]

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal