2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105117 - 23/08/04 02:58 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just hope enough of you guys buy the kit to make it worth while for Calmini to produce.

Kinda like the Tcase gears.

#105118 - 23/08/04 03:55 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
I just hope enough of you guys buy the kit to make it worth while for Calmini to produce.

Maybe in 2 years when the X is paid for. Would the SAS render the Tcase gears worthless?

#105119 - 23/08/04 04:01 PM Re: Calmini SAS
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I was just passing on what I was told by another fabricator doing a radius-arm SAS on an Xterra not 10 miles down the road from me, also using the factory crossmember location to locate one that incorporates the radius arm mounts. He just doesn't feel that there's enough strength there to take the load, but that's his opinion. I don't know squat about this sort of thing and don't pretend to.
That's your problem Brent, you take advice from people who have no idea what they are talking about. Look at this thread on NOR , full of ignorant remarks from the locals.

It's really sad watching that crowd posting their comments about how much it will cost, how much it sucks, and how they can do better.

The same thing happened when the CALMINI gears came out. Those of us with a brain have them, those without are still waiting for some magical gears from some other company to materialize.

#105120 - 23/08/04 04:02 PM Re: Calmini SAS
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Would the SAS render the Tcase gears worthless?
Um, no.

#105121 - 23/08/04 04:30 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
[b]Whoa, whoa, whoa! I was just passing on what I was told by another fabricator doing a radius-arm SAS on an Xterra not 10 miles down the road from me, also using the factory crossmember location to locate one that incorporates the radius arm mounts. He just doesn't feel that there's enough strength there to take the load, but that's his opinion. I don't know squat about this sort of thing and don't pretend to.
That's your problem Brent, you take advice from people who have no idea what they are talking about. Look at this thread on NOR , full of ignorant remarks from the locals.

It's really sad watching that crowd posting their comments about how much it will cost, how much it sucks, and how they can do better.

The same thing happened when the CALMINI gears came out. Those of us with a brain have them, those without are still waiting for some magical gears from some other company to materialize.[/b]
Well, I dont if I lack brains, I think in my case its more of a "financial thing". Hell I would have all the "fixins" if I had a set of balls and did't do everything my wife told me to do. smile

#105122 - 23/08/04 04:46 PM Re: Calmini SAS
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Is that a fair comparison? My understanding is the Tcase gears only work with a 5 speed - that right there really limits their market. Surley a company like Calmini would recognize that and accept that risk.

Just like the SAS kit - percentage wise, there just aren't that many folks that are going to be willing to modify their trucks that aggressivly. I'm sure Calmini has factored that in their decision to develop and market the kit too...

Having said that, after I get a few more years on the X I'l probalby do the Tcase and maybe even the SAS - just depends on how I'm using the X....

#105123 - 23/08/04 04:50 PM Re: Calmini SAS
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Is that a fair comparison? My understanding is the Tcase gears only work with a 5 speed -
They work really well with an automatic too.

#105124 - 23/08/04 04:53 PM Re: Calmini SAS
XOC Offline
Admin

The main complaint has been pricing, but I just don't understand that.

People have no problems dropping $3000 on a stereo, or $1000 on wheels and tires, but $1500 for gears is too much ?

The gears are the single biggest improvement you can make to this vehicle other than a rear locker.

Everyone wanted them, everyone begged for them, but when they were released no one wanted to spend the cash. Instead, they sit around and hope that AC or some other company can magically create some for half the price.

That will never happen.

#105125 - 23/08/04 04:58 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Kinda like the Tcase gears.
Is that a fair comparison? My understanding is the Tcase gears only work with a 5 speed - that irght there really limits their market. Surley a company like Calmini would recognize that and accept that risk.

Just like the SAS kit - percentage wise, there just aren't that many folks that are going to be willing to modify their trucks that aggressivly. I'm sure Calmini has factored that in their decision to develop and market the kit too...

Having said that, after I get a few more years on the X I'l probalby do the Tcase and maybe even the SAS - just depends on how I'm using the X....[/b]
My sons and I, we make a "man" thing to go out in the garage and work on the "X" and hang out, we go camping and I take them 4X4ing. I plan on doing what I can afford to do, not just because I want to have a capable vehicle but I also will somday sell smile the X to one of my boys or possibly my daughter.

The X is capable off the lot but its the time I get to spend with the kids.

Bring on the SAS, Tcase gears and whatever I can add to my X while "hangen" with the boys, and then test it.

#105126 - 23/08/04 05:07 PM Re: Calmini SAS
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Quote:
[b]Is that a fair comparison? My understanding is the Tcase gears only work with a 5 speed -
They work really well with an automatic too.[/b]
Cool - I only see the 5 speed guys talking about them so I just linked them together. Now that you mention it, I guess there isn't a reason why it wouldn't work with an auto.

#105127 - 23/08/04 05:29 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Stone4x4 Offline

Loc: Chandler AZ
Because we needed them more than the guys with autos.......

from Ian ""The same thing happened when the CALMINI gears came out. Those of us with a brain have them, those without are still waiting for some magical gears from some other company to materialize""

Okay right there you guys are witnesses Ian said I have a brain. Indirectly, but I'll take it.
laugh

The gears are just awesome. Save your nickels, whatever you have to do but get the gears.

Seriously.

#105128 - 23/08/04 06:40 PM Re: Calmini SAS
OnlyOneDR Offline

Whoa, 1 page and we are well off-topic. Oh yeah, this is XOC smile

The T-case gears are bad-ass. My wheeling-newbie self did some crazy off-camber twisting crap a couple weeks ago and the gears kept me slow enough to feel "comfortable". Oh yeah and I idled up a hill that was probably 35° (yes it was smooth).

That SAS is sweet too. Time will tell but I may be glad I did not go ahead and SAS mine when I converted to 4wd...

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#105129 - 23/08/04 07:17 PM Re: Calmini SAS
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone4x4:
Okay right there you guys are witnesses Ian said I have a brain. Indirectly, but I'll take it. laugh
I never said you didn't laugh

#105130 - 23/08/04 07:42 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can attest that the gears work wonderfully with a SAS.

Buy them when you can. Ian said exactly what I've been saying...instead of blowing money on all that other crap and still having to hammer your truck over stuff because it won't crawl good enough, build the capabilty first, and THEN accessorize.

Same goes for lockers if you really want to take the truck to its limits.

#105131 - 23/08/04 08:06 PM Re: Calmini SAS
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by imacsae:
The fact that you are repeating what someone else told you and representing it as your own thoughts proves you don't know anything about it.
When the hell did I EVER present this idea as my own? I made it clear from the get-go I had heard it from someone else who I felt was reasonably qualified to comment on the design and was in fact working on a very similar project himself.
He actually inherited it from another shop that did most of the initial work but was unable to complete it due to outside circumstances, and he's finishing up the rest, ironing out the kinks, and addressing things that he feels weren't quite right. He wants to beef up the crossmember-to-frame junction on it, and wasn't even really commenting on the Calmini one other than to note that it too was bolting into the same tabs on the frame.

If I haven't made it clear, I'm totally digging the Calmini kit and haven't the slightest doubt that it will be anything but as good as it gets once it arrives. If it's indeed adaptable to the axle I have in mind for my X when it gets swapped, I'd certainly jump on it unless I were to end up going with a leaf or link setup instead.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#105132 - 23/08/04 08:47 PM Re: Calmini SAS
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Is there a price on this yet? How about the perfect donor axle? If it was already stated and I missed it sorry.

#105133 - 23/08/04 09:00 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
The main complaint has been pricing, but I just don't understand that.

People have no problems dropping $3000 on a stereo, or $1000 on wheels and tires, but $1500 for gears is too much ?

The gears are the single biggest improvement you can make to this vehicle other than a rear locker.

Everyone wanted them, everyone begged for them, but when they were released no one wanted to spend the cash. Instead, they sit around and hope that AC or some other company can magically create some for half the price.

[b]That will never happen.
[/b]
Yeah guys, $1500 aint too shabby for gears and install. It would run me a cool $2800 if I wanted to re-gear the Rover from 3.3-1 to 4.3-1. But... it is a Rover and EVERYTHING is more expensive frown I think I have spent about 13-14k on crap for the truck and not one dime has gone into upgrading the shitty stereo except adding SAT radio.

#105134 - 23/08/04 09:05 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Early 80's Jeep Wagoneer front axle. It is a Dana 44, with the correct bolt pattern already there. Larger disc brakes are already on it, and the steering is good to go. Just freshin' it up a bit (new wheel bearings and seals, rotors, rebuild or replace the calipers, check the carrier and pinion bearings, check the gear ratio to your current one in the rear diff, get some minor stuff welded on for the kit), and you're set. Should be able to pick up a good axle at a junkyard for about $250 (depending on if you pull it or not, U-Pull-It yards are typically a lot less).

A locker or other type of traction control device should be thought of as well, before final install. Since it's a Dana 44, a ton of aftermarket is available.

#105135 - 30/08/04 07:56 AM Re: Calmini SAS
chupasierras Offline

Loc: Monterrey, M�xico
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Early 80's Jeep Wagoneer front axle... Should be able to pick up a good axle at a junkyard for about $250 ...
Please don´t laugh [Geek]

What would you pay for one like this:

Do you think is possible to get a D44 in a better shape?

I think get a D44 would be a good idea, if the opportunity arises, one never knows wink

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#105136 - 30/08/04 09:58 AM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

To fix the outward appearance, just get it sand blasted and spray paint it. Good as new on the outside. The inside and the mechanics of it are a different story.

#105137 - 30/08/04 10:51 AM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the innards are still intact, then get it. If you're planning on getting a Detroit, or something that is going to replace the carrier, and get matching gears to match the X, then really, only the axle shafts need to be in good shape.

If it were me, I'd give $150 for it, if the ball joints were good, the tie rods were good and u-joints for the axle shafts were good. Otherwise, you're going to replace/rebuild the rotors, bearings, hubs and seals anyway.

#105138 - 30/08/04 11:13 AM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like harmless surface rust to me. If the guts are good, the value of it depends on where in the country you are. They seem to sell really cheap in the midwest and northeast, but here in the southwest where I guess more people do SAS's and the demand for axles is higher, that's a $250-300 piece there. That one is good because it's complete knuckle to knuckle and has some core parts, and that steering can be pulled ad used for spare parts as well.

Clean it up and use it!

#105139 - 30/08/04 01:30 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Ooooooohhhhhhh Baaaaaaabbbbbbbbyyyyyy!

Official review from an outsider (well, me, but I didn't design it):

I was able to inspect the pre-production unit that was installed on DesertHB's Xterra by taking it on several different, Southern California, trails.

The quality is (of course) excellent. The new crossmembers bolt in nicely, with zero modification for the old torsion bar crossmember mounts, the transmission crossmember mounts and the old front diff crossmember mounts. These all bolt up nicely.

The brace that ties the front frame together (between the two upper coilover hoops) is an excellent idea as well. This does two things. Helping to keep the front portion of the frame rigid, and keeping the hoops stable at the bottom of the mounts. The mount for the track bar is more solid than I expected. I was extremely impressed with that as well.

The integrated skid plates are a nice touch. Very sturdy. Although we didn't end up touching them, I had all the confidence in their durability and strength. Awesome combination, SAS and skids.

Looking at the steering, the drag link goes from behind the crossover link (tie rod link bar) to in front of it. I originally thought that it might touch, especially during full crank steering to the right, under full droop. But, zero witness marks after wheeling, full droop [b]and
stuff, with no touching. Good to go!

I'm told that a Caster Angle adjustment is going to be included in the actual production units. Although it's not needed for DesertHB's truck at the height that it's at now, some folks may decide to go higher (myself included) and will need it.

The steering effort is also very nice. The amount of steering effort is different (easier, due to the tie rods being further in distance from the center of the ball joint pivot than the OEM steering was), but is still quite responsive. It'll just take a little bit of getting used to, and you're back in the saddle, no problem.

The front control arms are very stout. With Johnny Joints at the back, very beefy. Smooth operation of both arms, during all obstacles. Won't be worrying about those on my truck, that's for sure. Installation is going to be critical at that point of the install however, as getting the joint body straight (with the vehicle static) will be key. The joint articulates beautifully with the control arm, but if the joint is tightened off center, it could contact the mount. Definately a place to take your time.

The only additions that I would personally suggest, would be the addition of steering stabilizer mounts. Bigger tires (33's plus), with the different steering geometry of the solid axle, make for some different steering feedback that a stabilizer would take care of. The other might be a manually adjustable brake proportioning valve. But that could be an add on, as the bigger front calipers (over OEM) just take a little bit more travel to engage (got used to it fairly quickly though). It would all depend on the axle and what brakes you ended up with.

We were able to really put the strenght of the SAS swap to the test this past weekend. Standing the truck on it's front axle (back wheel off the ground, doing a severe dropoff) and the vehicle was still solid. The articulation that was allowed, vs. the OEM IFS, is phenomenal. At the point of dropping off, the movement allowed was probably the difference between an endo down the obstacle, and driving it home that night. That's no exageration.

The kit's quality is a testimonial to Calmini's efforts to continue to give it's customer's the best it possibly can. My hat's off to Steve and the crew on a job well done.

I'll be in line for one of the kits, don't doubt that.

Although a 'formal review' was not asked for from me personally, I thought that I would go ahead and give my personal opinion on the SAS, as I percieved it. I really do love it. I'm not getting paid for my opinion. Although, DesertHB's hospitality is awesome. I don't think I've drank that much beer in a long time. I'd go with him anywhere, any time. He's a true wheeler and a gentlemen, no doubt.[/b]
Cyclemut,

Since you did the little report for us I was wondering if you have any inside scoop as to the actual release date of it and if they have any actual MSRP for it yet?? I have seen a lot of numbers being tossed around and was wondering if you heard anything more solid along the lines of release date and price.

#105140 - 30/08/04 03:15 PM Re: Calmini SAS
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Galusha:

Since you did the little report for us I was wondering if you have any inside scoop as to the actual release date of it and if they have any actual MSRP for it yet?? I have seen a lot of numbers being tossed around and was wondering if you heard anything more solid along the lines of release date and price.
Calmini has had a history of saying they are going to release something on a certain date and then keep pushing it back. I think in this case they are trying to avoid that. The only thing we know right now is that they are going to produce it and when they are ready then Steve will come on here and tell us.

As far as pricing goes that is not a definate either. I seriously doubt that it is going to be the $10K that some people are throwing out there, espicially since you are going to have to supply your own axle. It's been said that it will be competitive with the SAS kit's for other vehicles, namely the tacoma/4runner wich run $1800 for a leaf spring setup. With the coil over setup I'm going to GUESS the kit will be ~$3K give or take a few hundred.

Axle

#105141 - 31/08/04 09:20 AM Re: Calmini SAS
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
NC Dana44 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7918860866&category=33728

I am interested in more information about how different the '05 set up will be and if Calmini is considering looking at that set up anytime soon. Why do a 3" SL when you can go straight to SAS! I am hoping for Steve or other real gurus to pipe in but this request may be way too premature. I am on the list for an '05 and starting to look for an axle.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal