shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105453 - 23/02/01 06:06 PM tires and lifting
miket Offline

Loc: big island, hi
i've heard that installing lift shackles voids the warranty on the X.

does anyone know how much height can be added before drivetrain modifications have to be made?

a little more clearance would be nice.

last month's issue of car and driver has a blurb on the long term road test for a 2000 X. apparently switching to "+1" tires greatly increases stability.

i'll have to check on that number, i don't have the mag here.

mikeT

------------------
2001 SE 4X4
Rain+Dirt do it for me.

#105454 - 23/02/01 10:01 PM Re: tires and lifting
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
"Voids your warranty" is a pretty relative term--the driveline angles are changed a bit by the shackles so if, say, your rear diff went bad your dealer could try and blame it on the shackles. This was a pretty big hangup for me on deciding on the shackles, but after hearing so many horror stories about dealers shafting people just because their trucks had obviously been offroad, I decided not to care. My truck has enough dents and scratches on it that I'm pretty sure they'll be able to give me hell if they want to, regardless of how many aftermarket products are on it.

Plus one tire sizing probably would improve the handling, however it's the opposite of what most of us have done, namely "plus one" refers to increasing the rim size by one and reducing the tire sidewall aspect ratio so as to have less tire sidewall to roll through corners. If you offroad, though, you upgrade your tires to gain traction & clearance, often from a tire with a taller sidewall, hence more sidewall flex, hence crappier onroad handling (but not by a whole lot.)

HTH

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal