2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105469 - 15/07/07 03:59 PM Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys

I have a 2003 xterra that I have recently SAS'd

My setup is the calmini sas kit, 2'' body lift, and 35'' bfg muds

Pics of the rig..

My question is..I have alot of buddies that have jeeps that are saying Im WAYY to tall and that Im going to go off camber to easily and im gunna roll it..

However..most people with a sas run this similar setup and the sas people i have talked to say too much lift

what do you guys think?

should I lower my cog?

#105470 - 15/07/07 04:11 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is pretty tall for those narrow axles.

(PS: Don't let Calmini know you're running 35s, when they claim only 33's for their kit...)

#105471 - 15/07/07 04:28 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pat,

I don't know that you really need that 2" B/L anymore.

It's a great SAS build but you may be sacrificing some off camber stability because of the B/L.

Besides, I don't like you sitting taller that me...

#105472 - 15/07/07 04:46 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

laugh

no way do i sit taller than you when you have that much clearance on 37'' ssr's

#105473 - 15/07/07 04:55 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the thing is that everyone that has this setup on thier rig says keep it cause ill rub without

#105474 - 15/07/07 05:14 PM Re: Too much lift?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yeah it’s pretty tall; have you gotten an alignment yet? What’s the camber?

What you can do to lower it…redo the spring hanger…get rid of the stock low riding rock catchers and get some low profiles ones that sit higher up + maybe a shorter/stock length shackle. That should lower you ~ 2” and then adjust the front accordingly. Keep in mind the rear springs are going to sag eitherway somewhat.

I’m at least 4" lower than your setup /wo a BL and running 35” truxs…you can make them fit by cutting.

See what you can do to lower the suspension before taking out the BL.

Stone, Kaiser and a few others are running the 2” BL + SAS and it seems fine on their trucks.

#105475 - 30/07/07 05:49 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am running the same setup but with 12" travel shocks in the front, it does just fine in all the trails would not change for anyone or any thing also look at it this way when you get ready for 37s you dont have to touch any thing just put them on and go.

#105476 - 31/07/07 07:26 AM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just run with it... I have tipped mine to 34 degrees without any issues. And yep.... you will be able to step up the tires. Also as time goes the SOA will cause the leaf to settle a little more. What leaf packs are those?

#105477 - 31/07/07 07:47 AM Re: Too much lift?
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mudworld:
I am running the same setup but with 12" travel shocks in the front, it does just fine in all the trails would not change for anyone or any thing also look at it this way when you get ready for 37s you dont have to touch any thing just put them on and go.
OMG It's Duwayne! Good to see you here! Yeah your truck seemed to be pretty stable at RR even with the BL, we all worried at times but it never really "looked" and more tippy than some lower rigs.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#105478 - 31/07/07 04:55 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
Quote:
[b]I am running the same setup but with 12" travel shocks in the front, it does just fine in all the trails would not change for anyone or any thing also look at it this way when you get ready for 37s you dont have to touch any thing just put them on and go.
OMG It's Duwayne! Good to see you here! Yeah your truck seemed to be pretty stable at RR even with the BL, we all worried at times but it never really "looked" and more tippy than some lower rigs.[/b]

#105479 - 31/07/07 04:56 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
Quote:
[b]I am running the same setup but with 12" travel shocks in the front, it does just fine in all the trails would not change for anyone or any thing also look at it this way when you get ready for 37s you dont have to touch any thing just put them on and go.
OMG It's Duwayne! Good to see you here! Yeah your truck seemed to be pretty stable at RR even with the BL, we all worried at times but it never rea
what is up Chris, do any thing new to the truck, not much here finaly got my Haste radiator put in after 2 months of waiting for it and a twin fan set up so hopefuly it won't over heat again.

It looks like we will be making another trip to RR in October are you going to try and make it?lly "looked" and more tippy than some lower rigs.[/b]

#105480 - 31/07/07 05:54 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

had a question for you fynearte, check your pm's.

Thanks, eric

#105481 - 31/07/07 07:01 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

revolvers, eh?

BTW, I say leave it. It's badass, and if you work it, it'll settle in. [ThumbsUp]

#105482 - 01/08/07 03:11 AM Re: Too much lift?
Silver Raider Offline

Loc: Goose Creek, SC
I'm running a 2" b/l and haven't had any issues with tipping. while on 33"s I put my rig over 42 degrees before she started coming off the ground. (Not recommended for the faint of heart)
Mind you, I don't have an SOA so I'm sure I sit 3" or 4" lower. I think for most of the trails you run up there in GWNF, you won't have anything to worry about, leave it!

Black '01 SAS X
RCPFA

#105483 - 02/08/07 01:56 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Build to the tires. If you can stuff your tires until you are sitting on the bump stops and you still have clearence, you are too high.

#105484 - 05/08/07 06:51 AM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
.....It's badass, and if you work it, it'll settle in. [ThumbsUp]
Looks pretty tall to me. But I definitely agree with Kevin and Dan to let the leaf springs settle before you make a judgement. I have no BL and have some rubbing problems. Right now I'm just letting it rub, but might take off that (rear wheelwell) plastic soon.....

#105485 - 21/08/07 06:20 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's some pics of mine. Not complete but axles mounted underneath.
web page
web page

web page3

#105486 - 21/08/07 06:57 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

shits tight!!!!

lets go wheeling sometime dude

what size are those roks?

bias or radial?

#105487 - 21/08/07 07:13 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Outstanding 1st post, welcome on.

#105488 - 21/08/07 08:00 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks badass, what'r the specs?

#105489 - 22/08/07 05:18 AM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys, like i said she ain't done just yet. Acually replacing rear leafs and my shocks should be in soon. Using bilstein 5150's. It is debuting in NC at the end of september. I will be ready to whell anytime after that just let me know!! as for the X here are a few details,

using full width axles 8 lug HP HD dana 44 up front with 5.13s, warns, sky hi steer arms, detroit tru-trac, and a rough stuff diff cover. The rear axle is a full width dana 60 with 5.13s, detroit, disks, and rockcrusher cover.

For the suspension I am using 4" toy springs up front and as of right now I am not quite sure for the rear. I might just toss a couple more leaves in the stock pack that currently has the add-a-leaf, its a little low right now without the tire carrier and tire.

I'll just get some custom driveshafts made to fit.

I'm running 36x13.50-17 Iroks on black steelies.

She is close to completion. I think i will just order the rear leafs from calmini. Added leafs to it but now it is too stiff. so just going to rplace it.

#105490 - 22/08/07 07:17 AM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sick truck...36" tires is impressive.

[ThumbsUp]

#105491 - 22/08/07 08:20 AM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by youngbreed:
She is close to completion. I think i will just order the rear leafs from calmini. Added leafs to it but now it is too stiff. so just going to rplace it.
Don't spend that kind of money for leaf springs!! Go to a junkyard, find the biggest freaking arch springs you can find, then just rebuild the leaf pack. You reuse the main leaf that the bolt connections are, but replace all the other leafs. I did this w/ the leaf pack I bought off Richard earlier this year. Works freaking amazing, and you'll save about $250 in the process...

Or if you don't want to go the JY route, then buy a set of off-the-shelf springs for a 4-runner, and use them to rebuild the pack. You can get a set of Toy springs for around $200. Any "Nissan" spring set will run you at least $300.

BTW: you're only running 36s on a D60 rear?? Come on, man, spend some cash and step up to AT LEAST 38.5's... Damn broke bastage.

#105492 - 22/08/07 09:34 AM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah you got the broke part right! I should have bought richards tires off him but allready bought mine before he decided to sell. This damn think is costing me a tad more than expected and planned for. But will be worth it in the end! we used the stock leafs that i had which i had the calmini AAL and added a few more to level the back and is just way to stiff. got a custom rear bumper and tire carrier on ther now. Getting closer to completion. I will check around a bit before ordering. I could go with the set up now just have to replace eventually to achieve ultimate travel and articulation and what not...

#105493 - 22/08/07 08:01 PM Re: Too much lift?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brock! damn man I knew Nick and richard were working on your truck but wow!!! Nick said he is going to tear his truck down this week so I can pick my sas stuff up. can't wait!!!!!

Looks great man!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal