shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105588 - 30/10/04 03:20 PM Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I emailed Richmond about the Lock Right for the 33 spline, and this is what I got back. Oh, and before anyone pipes up about the reliability of the Lock Right over anything else, I run a Lock Right, and have abused it. Still going strong with Zero problems.

Quote:
Allen:

Thank you for your interest in Richmond Gear and Powertrax products.

Development of a new product application depends on several factors including the willingness of our Distributors to stock the product.

We have added your request to our 2005 project evaluation list. Most likely, it would be the second or third quarter of next year before a decision is reached.

Thanks,

Winners Run RICHMOND!

Ronald F. Hix, National Sales Manager
Richmond Gear
1208 Old Norris Road
Liberty, SC 29657
864-843-9231
fax 864-843-2964
www.richmondgear.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 9:02 AM
To: Ron Hix
Cc: Walter Boylan
Subject: Fw: Lock Right for the 33 spline H233B

----- Original Message -----
To: engineering@richmondgear.com
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 1:45 AM
Subject: Lock Right for the 33 spline H233B

I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any plans on producing a Lock Right for the 33 spline version of the H233B on the newer Nissan V6 equipped vehicles.

I have your locker in the front of my solid axle equipped Toyota, and love it! I'm running your spool in the rear. I've had zero problems either of them and want to continue with my loyalty.

My newest toy is a rolled (salvaged) Xterra (2002 SuperCharged automatic, 4x4). I am a Nissan Mechanic, in Denver, Colorado. Did I mention I love your products?

Eagerly awaiting your answer.

Allen Cox

P.S. Going with the Solid Axle kit of the front (Calmini), so I'll be getting something for the Dana 44 that will be going up front as well!
If we want to see something happen, for either a Lock Right or anything else, we have to ask. Baby steps...

#105589 - 31/10/04 12:20 AM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

does this mean we start an e-mail campaign wanting to buy them? And have calmini, xterraparts, & ac parts ask to sell them?

#105590 - 31/10/04 08:22 AM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
If you recall, up until a few weeks ago, Calmini had a listing for a 33-spline LockRight on their site for a good year or more. Powertrax was planning on producing one, but when Richmond Gear bought them out, it got shelved. As I recall, Calmini has been continuing to push for Richmond to follow through, but to no avail, and last I heard they were talking to Tractech to try and get a Detroit on the market. I was told by Calmini that there would be some sort of 33-spline mechanical locker available, but it's been quite a while since then and it appears Calmini was unable to convince them after all. Not Calmini's fault though, I'm sure they did all they could.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'd certainly like to see it happen. With Nissan switching to the D44-based rear in the Titan, Frontier, and Xterra, I don't know if our chances for an H233B unit will go up or down.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#105591 - 31/10/04 01:29 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still, for everyone that wants to get something for the vehicles that they have now (without buying a new vehicle or doing a rear axle swap as well) I believe that having someone produce something (Richmond, Yukon, whomever) for the H233B would be good.

If all they had to do was to produce the replacement parts on the existing 31 spline unit to accept the 33 spline axle, then walla, they would open up another market.

Not saying they'd become millionares all over again, but they'd sell more product than they are currently.

Letting someone know, whomever anyone wants to, that the interest is there is all we can do.

But if only 5 people are actually willing to buy it, then it won't be worth any company to actually produce it.

#105592 - 31/10/04 09:06 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

WALLA is spelled viola....

I like this kinda talk!

#105593 - 13/01/05 05:22 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
atber8000 Offline

Loc: Richmond, Va
Good news I have also emailed Richmond about making the Lock Right for the 33 spline axle. I just got this email.

Scott:

Thanks for your inquiry.

Our engineering department is reviewing our application files to determine if we have the tooling to manufacture.

I should have some answers for you by month's end.

Thanks,

Winners Run RICHMOND!

Ronald F. Hix, National Sales Manager
Richmond Gear
1208 Old Norris Road
Liberty, SC 29657
864-843-9231
fax 864-843-2964
www.richmondgear.com
Never stop exploring."

#105594 - 13/01/05 08:55 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very nice!

Good to see the ball is still rolling, perhaps even gaining momentum.

#105595 - 13/01/05 10:21 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

If they are thinking of having an answer by the months end, we should be thinking about starting the e-mail's now.. Let them know the 4 or 5 hundred people that would whip out the credit card for a 300-400 dollar locker..

#105596 - 13/01/05 10:36 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Imagine it.....a locker that costs the same as a Chevy, Ford or Toyota.

I weep inside. laugh

#105597 - 14/01/05 08:48 AM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by XBBO:
WALLA is spelled viola....

I like this kinda talk!
Voila! (Not Viola..)

laugh

A lunch box locker would be sweet!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#105598 - 14/01/05 09:41 AM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

It would be really nice to see this happen. I just hope they are not just jackin us off about it.

#105599 - 14/01/05 10:05 AM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

in their application catalog, they have the 2000-2001 Xterra listed, but no other info as to splines.

I sent them an e-mail too, we'll see what we get.

#105600 - 14/01/05 02:13 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keep in mind, those of you with LSD now can't use a lockright without changing to an open carrier.

I hope they do make one. The spline count has nothing to do with whether they will work or not, as there's no part of a lockright that comes into contact with the axle shafts. I guess it just needs to be a 4 spider rear....later 33 spline axles apparently have a 2 spider rear.

#105601 - 14/01/05 03:49 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Lock Rights do have the side gears that engage the axle shafts. Otherwise, you could just the Lock Rights for the older, 31 spline unit (if the axles didn't engage them).

I've had Lock Rights in my Toyota, installed 'em in Jeeps and Blazers. They've all engaged the axles.

Unless Desert_Rat is talking about another type of locker?

#105602 - 18/03/05 08:43 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
OnlyOneDR Offline

Well I finally found a write-up that shows pictures to explain the confusion about the axle shafts needing to engage the gear teeth.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/ez-locker.htm

It's not a Nissan application, it's for a Toyota, but the concept is identical. The factory side gears are re-used and the four-pinion journal is reused. I guess the issue with this setup is the obvious difference between the 2-pinion open carrier used on the 33-spline diffs.

I've been thinking even more about all the parts involved in doing hybrid swaps on these Nissan axles, and now I'd like to see if the new style 31-spline C200 axles will swap into an H233B. According to ARB's product guide, the 31-spline shafts are the same diameter between the old H233B and the new C200. I need to do more field research...

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#105603 - 20/03/05 06:41 PM Re: Lock Right for the 33 spline...
OnlyOneDR Offline

My dumb butt forgets to put the link in it. Fixed!

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal