shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106118 - 26/07/07 03:22 PM xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey e1. i could use a lil advice, i play hard & always breakin something. i have 03 X se/sc w/ 3+2 on 32x11.50x17 ssr, hd steering kit w/ stabl. truck has 25k on it, blew motor at 12k (NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY). they said, it was due to offroad abuse. (xterra = cross terrain) anyways. 2 altern. broke sway way t-bar. driver side warn hub, pass. side lower control has a nice crack through it, and know i have a nasty clicking noise in front axle. think a spider gear cracked, not sure yet. so heres my xroad, sas heard alot about, how about total chaos kit any1 have1????
THANKS 4 UR KNOWLEDGE
GRAFHX

#106119 - 26/07/07 05:19 PM Re: xterra chaos
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Learn to type complete sentences in English.

If you are breaking the IFS, nuking the diffs and blowing up motors now, you will still break things if you do a solid axle swap or other heavy duty lift.

Better parts don't always cure bad driving habits.

#106120 - 26/07/07 05:58 PM Re: xterra chaos
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Sounds like you're doing high speed offroading (as opposed to the <5mph rock crawling that a lot of us do). If that's the case, you don't want a solid axle swap - you want the total chaos longarm IFS kit. It's expensive - but very cool. There's at least one guy on here who has it - maybe he'll speak up.

#106121 - 26/07/07 06:25 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you need help with the kit you buy.
I can help or people on this site
http://www.midwestxterraowners.com/

#106122 - 26/07/07 06:31 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Sounds like you're doing high speed offroading (as opposed to the <5mph rock crawling that a lot of us do). If that's the case, you don't want a solid axle swap - you want the total chaos longarm IFS kit. It's expensive - but very cool. There's at least one guy on here who has it - maybe he'll speak up.
There are a few, but I think I am the only one on XOC with the TC kit. So, what's the question? confused

#106123 - 26/07/07 06:48 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a couple if you don't mind. worth it? will 35" fit w/ bl? still streetable? do you have any pics up?

#106124 - 26/07/07 07:05 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:

Better parts don't always cure bad driving habits.
Slow down a bit and you will be fine.

W the SAS and BL you can pack 35s BUT.... the kit is designed around 33s.

I do have the SAS & 35s w/BL but I did beef up a few of the parts to make up for it.

#106125 - 26/07/07 07:09 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

As Carlton said, if you are blowing up diffs, the long arm kit won't help you...you'd still be fucked.

What kind of trails/4wheeling do you do? That will help us out to point you in the right direction.

Also, English is a great form of communication learn it [Wave]

#106126 - 26/07/07 07:19 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

What English □is that? □you □□consider □my you to tie yahoos! ! wink

#106127 - 26/07/07 07:37 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

as far as trails go. anywhere from rivers, mud holes to tight trees, rocks, hills & jumpin the dunes.

#106128 - 26/07/07 10:11 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

First of all, welcome grafhx.

Jumping dunes could be the problem. That kind of wheelin will put a shit load of stress on the IFS and especially the diff, CVs and hubs.

TC kit is good stuff but might not be your cure, especially if you plan running 35's. Those are big tires, so a lot of rotating mass = a lot of force when they finally hit the ground and get some grip.

You're likely to not break as much stuff if you go slower, as others said. Speed = Force = more stress = higher chances of breakage.

Stop by MXO, I see that you're smack in the middle between us nothern folks and some no less active southern city dudes as well.

#106129 - 27/07/07 02:49 AM Re: xterra chaos
Silver Raider Offline

Loc: Goose Creek, SC
Welcome. A lot of Cross country/baja type trucks race IFS so if your big into beaches and dunes, you probably just need to beef up what you have. to fit 35's under your IFS though you will need more than just a b/l. You'll need some kind of suspension lift as well and probably some creative body work to the wheel wells also.
Some of these replies were a little harsh, but I have to agree about considering your driving habits.
Kev(alpine) -PM

Black '01 SAS X
RCPFA

#106130 - 27/07/07 05:04 AM Re: xterra chaos
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Jumping is hard on components, the frame, everything...

If you want to do it with less breakage (in general), assuming the "go slower" thing is less obvious...try going "easier".

There are techniques to helping the truck survive....like matching wheel speed to ground speed while in the air...so when you land, there's less driveline shock (As opposed to being at full throttle as you take off, and leaving your foot on it until landing...so your tires are still acellerating in the air since you took away the resistance, etc...)

There's giving a little brake tap to weight the front end when about to hit a ledge/bump..before the bump, so the front end gets a little bounce up before the bump...so the truck is already on the way up as it hits, also reducing shock.

There's giving a little goose to the gas as the rear tires are coming down off the same bump (With traction...)...to squat the suspension/level the truck out on the way down, rather than have it come down hard and jounce, etc.

There's gassing when the drivetrain is straight and unobstructed, and coasting into/over obstructions, rather than juicing it into resistance, etc.

etc.

IE: If you break alot of stuff, you are like the novice skier who's bombing the mountain, but is pretty much out of control the whole way down, etc....if anything gets in your way...you end up going into it, rather than carving around it.

laugh

A little finese can help keep your repair bills down.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#106131 - 27/07/07 08:16 AM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by grafhx:
I have a couple if you don't mind. worth it? will 35" fit w/ bl? still streetable? do you have any pics up?
The short answers....
Worth it? Hell yes.
35's? I wouldn't do it. There's really no room to stuff a 35 on compression like you need to when you are at speed.
Streetable? It's my daily driver.
Pics? They are around along with a video. Try a search.

I do agree with the others though. I am not sure the kit will cure your driving woes. Speed is not for everyone and although I probably post the highest average off-road speed here save for the 2nd generation racer, I have not broken anything serious. The TC kit is great, don't get me wrong and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. However, slowing down and staying within your limits and the limits of your machine goes a long way. I'm not saying don't mod your X as you want either. If you are driving within your limits, it may :rolleyes: be just a matter of getting your rig to keep up. Skill and expense are inversely proportionate IMO. As you skill increases, the likelihood of major repair bills decreases. Just remember, when it comes down to it, dirt hurts.

EDIT TO ADD:

After thinking about it I wouldn't do the body lift either. It just lifts the center of gravity higher and you really don't want that when you are going fast. Take a look at the high end racers in something like the Baja or Dakar. Lots of travel but lower to the ground than you might expect. Drift in the dirt is fine, and I know I do my share of that when appropriate like in a river bed or a dune scenario, but rolling just plain sucks. My two cents.

#106132 - 27/07/07 03:34 PM Re: xterra chaos
TJ Offline

Well, the BL doesn't add much to the COG, as its light compared to the frame and drivetrain, etc...but a better solution for an off road bomber is to just remove the fenders to clear for compression.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#106133 - 27/07/07 04:06 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Well, the BL doesn't add much to the COG, as its light compared to the frame and drivetrain, etc...but a better solution for an off road bomber is to just remove the fenders to clear for compression.

laugh
You could but then it does not remain legal for the street as opposed to going with some glass fenders.

#106134 - 27/07/07 04:47 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info. driving skills are fine. trucks not equipped enough. i know i beat the shit out of it. still no body damage. heres some pics. http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa225/grafhx/?act http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa225/grafhx/HPNX0176.jpgion=view¤t=a7fe6 http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa225/grafhx/HPNX0178.jpg951.pbw
not sure if that worked.

#106135 - 27/07/07 07:11 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Going through the pics it looks like you guys are generating some wheel spin and trying to use momentum to make up for loss of traction. I think you need a locker more than 35s or SAS

#106136 - 27/07/07 07:25 PM Re: xterra chaos
TJ Offline

Quote:
[QB]thanks for the info. driving skills are fine. trucks not equipped enough.
[Uh Oh !]

So - If I get your logic, you are breaking stuff because you are exceeding the limits of your equipment...on purpose.

I do it the otherway around...I figure breakage costs $, and causes downtime...so I don't break things on purpose...

..And If there's something I WANT to do, that the truck can't, I build to DO IT, then, DO IT.

That way...I HAVE a truck to modify as I need it, rather than a wrecked POS that would make a poor base to build from.

laugh

So - It IS your driving...and you are doing it on purpose...so you are OK with it. Its your truck, and your $, if you want to abuse the equipment, its your equipment and your right to do it...

...Just take responsibility for causing the damage, and enjoy.

laugh

#106137 - 27/07/07 11:14 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

i take full responibility, i abuse it and wanna make it stronger. thats why i'm here. yes i can slow down, i want the alternative + rock crawl. as far as breakage on purpose, no im not rich. i work my ass off. i just wanna know how far it can go. mind you i drive safe, obey signs & crossings, SAFETY'S #1, but LIMITS are QUESTIONABLE.

#106138 - 27/07/07 11:22 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

ALPINE-lockers on the list, buddy has it, like night/day.

#106139 - 28/07/07 08:28 PM Re: xterra chaos
TJ Offline

Quote:
hey e1. i could use a lil advice, i play hard & always breakin something. .... truck has 25k on it, blew motor at 12k ....2 altern. broke sway way t-bar. driver side warn hub, pass. side lower control has a nice crack through it, and know i have a nasty clicking noise in front axle. think a spider gear cracked, ..... THANKS 4 UR KNOWLEDGE
GRAFHX
Quote:
thanks for the info. driving skills are fine. trucks not equipped enough. i know i beat the shit out of it.
Quote:
.....SAFETY'S #1, but LIMITS are QUESTIONABLE.
I hear you...but, maybe you're asking the wrong questions...I mean, sure limits are questionable...but, they still exist for a given situation.

You have a litany of breakage, and claim to beat the shit out of it...and you have the proof you beat the shit out of it..no question.

So - I have to say, you are beating the shit out of it on purpose...even your captions for the pics are along the lines of this concept.

So, if you KNOW you ARE beating the shit out of it, and you KNOW whatever questions you had about the limits were ANSWERED, SEVERAL TIMES in fact....IE: You don't care, and you are proud of not caring.

If I said I was climbing Mt Everest during a blizzard, And I didn't make it because it was blowing 300 mph and was 120 degrees below zero...I would not blame it on my equipment, it would be due to my stupidity in thinking that I could MAKE IT under conditions that I was wrong about.

Knowing what your equipment can handle is part of driving skill...no successful racer just floors it the entire race, or runs over debris he could avoid, etc...they know how to make the equipment last long enough to finish, and pick and choose what damage to risk based upon their experience.

So while an off road race like Baja, etc...might have trucks that CAN go 130 mph, etc...they might only go 40 mph over rough sections TO AVOID BREAKAGE...IE: Their driving skills involve knowing the limits of the equipment.

So - You are a kid (Compared to an old fart), and you have not gained these skills yet. That's OK, we were all young and foolish once...don't feel bad.

You say you work your ass off, and you don't want to waste locker money on repairs...that's the first step...

...So, you ARE on your way.

laugh

#106140 - 28/07/07 08:39 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

TJ i guess he annoyed the crap out of ya too.

#106141 - 28/07/07 08:50 PM Re: xterra chaos
TJ Offline

Kids...whatcha gonna do?

laugh

They're lke that...I broke stuff, rolled, etc...when I was a teeny bopper....its part of growing up for some.

My kids, different, very responsible and mature from the beginning, they went to college, grad school, etc...never a problem.

Me, I left home early...and was a bit more trouble.

laugh

#106142 - 28/07/07 09:06 PM Re: xterra chaos
Anonymous
Unregistered

haha you might be surprized. Im 16 myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal