shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108721 - 14/04/02 05:44 PM New rock rails...
DocRedX Offline

Loc: San Diego
Like a kid at Christmas... I got my new rock rails bolted on and cann't wait to scratch the *&%$ out of them.

The best part was the cool communications I had with the manufacturer "to get it right." I have a eighty-nine year old father-in-law that needs a step to get into the X, so slight mods were made to the rails to make them more "step-like."

It was really cool to find folks that take great pride in their work and are skilled at what they do... the stuff that built this country.

If any of you are looking for custom rails made to your specs, you may want to check out...

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml#Description

See ya on the rock pile,
Doc

#108722 - 14/04/02 06:02 PM Re: New rock rails...
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
Way t'go!
Several of us are in line to get them as well.
This guy has the experience and trail savvy to make them very well.
Rock on!

#108723 - 15/04/02 07:23 AM Re: New rock rails...
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I love mine. Very well built. smile

Charlie

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#108724 - 15/04/02 07:34 AM Re: New rock rails...
liv2x Offline

Loc: Sumner, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by DocRedX:

The best part was the cool communications I had with the manufacturer "to get it right." I have a eighty-nine year old father-in-law that needs a step to get into the X, so slight mods were made to the rails to make them more "step-like."

Doc
Do you have any pics of the modifications that were done or descriptions that made them more "Step-like"
Thanks

#108725 - 15/04/02 07:54 AM Re: New rock rails...
DocRedX Offline

Liv2X,

I will get some pictures up ASAP. The mod was an extra one inch from the inside rail to the outside rail. That's about the limit of the welding jig and matches the outside edge of my tires. I think the extra inch help keep rocks, hi-lift jacks, boots, etc. off the paint. Plus my father-in-law doesn't break his @$$.

Like I said, working with Roger Brown (manufacturer) was a pleasure. He's a real down to earth guy that knows his stuff. And the price was right too.

I gave Roger the WestX info and with any luck he could be coming down to WestX this fall... with a load of rails. eek

See ya,
Doc

#108726 - 15/04/02 08:47 AM Re: New rock rails...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I agree - I've been eyeing these sliders for the last year or so. They're by far the best design, at least for my needs, out there. I need sliders, but don't like how most/all of them are too close to the body, so that you cannot use them as a step anymore. These are ideal!

Sadly, I gotta wait a spell before I can drop the cash on 'em. frown

#108727 - 15/04/02 09:11 AM Re: New rock rails...
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I have heard stories in NCCX where Roger even met a member halfway (roger is near Sacromento and the NCCXer was near Reno) and helped him install the new sliders on the spot!!

Very classy! And I have heard good things about his product.

I am hoping to get a set this summer, but I just forked out a huge payment to uncle sam and I am really hurting!

#108728 - 15/04/02 09:38 AM Re: New rock rails...
slackerx Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
I recently received a set from Roger. They're excellent! I've had a few limited chances to test them out on the trails with great results.

#108729 - 15/04/02 12:00 PM Re: New rock rails...
liv2x Offline

Loc: Sumner, WA
Being that the outside rail is only 1" square tubing, How is the footing on it for using it as a step. I know that it wouldn't be a problem for me, just concerned for passangers. I deffinetly like the design concept and have been seriously thinking about ordering a set.

#108730 - 15/04/02 02:02 PM Re: New rock rails...
DocRedX Offline

Liv2X,

Here is the URL to pictures of the rails that are more "step-like."

http://members.cox.net/xtilla/rails.html

The tubing is two inch, 3/16" stuff with a grip strip on top... Good step without getting in the way.

Roger will make them pretty much like you want... kick outs, filled in between the rails, painted, not painted, and the bolts (included) are 8.8 grade.

Don't get me wrong the Calmini and other rails are very good, but I was looking for something specific, and these work for me... Plus Roger is a great person to deal with.

See ya,
Doc

#108731 - 15/04/02 04:01 PM Re: New rock rails...
NthLJ Offline

That was me. Roger gave me a hand putting them on in the lot of a truck stop smile Very good guy to work with. I also had him deviate from his standard plan adding an additional support to even further increase the rigidity. I acctually had to get a real hi-lift after trying them for lifting the truck. I used my old Chi-lift knockoff farmjack and bent it lifting the truck!

He just sent me a skid for the front of the ARB that I am trying out/fitting to see if this is something that folks would want.

I can only give the hardiest of recomendations on his products and service.

Charlie

edit: they work well as steps, but are quite a bit narrower than the factory steps. People with reasonable coordination won't have any problems. My Dad would have a hell of a time getting in the back, but gets in the front with no problem. Everybody complained about getting in the back even before I got the new rails though.

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#108732 - 15/04/02 04:20 PM Re: New rock rails...
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieH:
That was me. Roger gave me a hand putting them on in the lot of a truck stop smile Very good guy to work with. I also had him deviate from his standard plan adding an additional support to even further increase the rigidity. I acctually had to get a real hi-lift after trying them for lifting the truck. I used my old Chi-lift knockoff farmjack and bent it lifting the truck!

He just sent me a skid for the front of the ARB that I am trying out/fitting to see if this is something that folks would want.

I can only give the hardiest of recomendations on his products and service.

Charlie

edit: they work well as steps, but are quite a bit narrower than the factory steps. People with reasonable coordination won't have any problems. My Dad would have a hell of a time getting in the back, but gets in the front with no problem. Everybody complained about getting in the back even before I got the new rails though.
Charlie,
Is it wide enough to stand on to access the roof rack? (for someone with "reasonable coordination") I have visions of slipping off and ramming my shins into them on the way down.

I guess asking roger to build them wider would compromise the strength.

#108733 - 15/04/02 04:44 PM Re: New rock rails...
NthLJ Offline

You shouldn't have any problem at all accessing the rack. It is maybe a tad narrow, but that way it won't interfere with tight terrain? The outside edge is flush with the outermost portion of the body panels. Making them a bit wider shouldn't make them any less strong because the strength in his design is that the inner rail runs along the body seam underneath contacting that first. It would contact the seam along the entire length distributing the weight evenly. This also eliminates the problem some have had with stretching or bending the mounting holes in the frame. He told me that he adjusted the spacing (outward toward the ends) to box them in a bit more like mine to stiffen them up and provide a bit more safety for jacking. With the 3/16" tubing I can't imagine adding an inch or so would compromise them at all. They support the whole weight of the truck (ok half smile ) 3+ feet in the air. They are *very* strong. If you need any more pics I can send them. They will be fairly large as I haven't learned how to edit them yet.

Charlie

one more thing, I'm not terribly coordinated, and I'm in between Brian Denahey and a fireplug in shape and weight. I have no problems getting to stuff on the rack. I have slipped off when they were wet and muddy, but I didn't hit my shins. I think how close they are prevent that?

#108734 - 15/04/02 04:48 PM Re: New rock rails...
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
Roger makes two (at least) sizes of rails for the X. One is twelve inches wide, from the frame, and the other is thirteen. He also makes them in two different weight materials. One is heavier for the more hard core user...or absent minded rock crawler.
I'm presently begging him to finish mine before this weekend where I know if I don't have them something baaaad will certainly happen. At least I'll have him to blame for remodeled sheetmetal... [LOL]
Rock on!

#108735 - 15/04/02 05:42 PM Re: New rock rails...
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieH:

Hey Charlie, this is the first I've heard on the ARB skid! Tell me more or I'll have to give Roger a visit!!! laugh Though I'm not sure I've got the time to talk to him right now... [Too much XOC] wink

#108736 - 15/04/02 06:34 PM Re: New rock rails...
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Here's another view of mine as well. I got the 13" wide ones also. Took all of 20 min to put on and the "no-slip" tape across the top makes it a piece of cake to access the roof items w/o falling down.

My wife, who was 9 months prego 2 weeks ago, loved them (had no rails before these). She loved them so much I told her that new torsion bars would be great too! Where's my checkbook?! wink

#108737 - 15/04/02 06:44 PM Re: New rock rails...
NthLJ Offline

It's just a skid to cover the gaping hole in the ARB. I was just outside drilling the holes (which is a PIA to do by yourself). I will have to wait to mount it until tommorrow as it just started dumping snow frown I'll either have it powdercoated or I'll just click-can it with some epoxy. Nothing fancy, just a piece of steel. I would go over to Rogers and let him take a look at your bumper, maybe he'll have some ideas I didn't (I'm sure). I'll shoot some pics when it's done.

Charlie

#108738 - 15/04/02 10:53 PM Re: New rock rails...
kayak_x Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
John, that's just about what the view would look like if I pulled up beside you in my TR6! smile
Did Roger start putting his logo (white sticker) on his product now?

#108739 - 15/04/02 11:29 PM Re: New rock rails...
johnnyx Offline
J

Quote:
Originally posted by kayak_x:
John, that's just about what the view would look like if I pulled up beside you in my TR6! smile
Did Roger start putting his logo (white sticker) on his product now?
Heh! It's not that tall! laugh

Yeah, I may take em off though...I'm not really into stickers, but I'll give him credit anytime anyone asks about them.

Charlie - I see yours have 5 horizontal bars - mine only have 4...how long have you had yours? Just trying to guess as to why the change...any ideas? (EDIT: I re-read your post - nevermind, I see why - you asked for it that way!)

#108740 - 16/04/02 12:46 AM Re: New rock rails...
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by DocRedX:
I gave Roger the WestX info and with any luck he could be coming down to WestX this fall... with a load of rails. eek

See ya,
Doc
very cool... just have him drop me an e-mail

#108741 - 16/04/02 10:41 AM Re: New rock rails...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Damn, they really are pretty sharp...

I can only imagine the destruction these things would cause to some schmuck that opens their door next to your X without looking. Hehehe. Serves 'em right.

Man, I want a pair. frown

#108742 - 16/04/02 11:04 AM Re: New rock rails...
johnnyx Offline
J

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
I can only imagine the destruction these things would cause to some schmuck that opens their door next to your X without looking. Hehehe. Serves 'em right.
I was just thinking that yesterday as I pulled into a tight parking spot between two little cars.

Door dings? Yeah, go for it.

#108743 - 16/04/02 11:51 AM Re: New rock rails...
mono Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
John, I love those rails... I talked to Roger and he said he is getting some good response on them and hopefully he can get another batch going the end of the month... I know I'm on board for some of those!

Piece of pilot wisdom: "Better to be on the ground wanting to be in the air than in the air wanting to be on the ground."

#108744 - 17/04/02 06:30 AM Re: New rock rails...
off2cjb Offline

I've had these for about 4 months now and absolutely love them. They are great. I have had no rocks or anything come between the rails.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal