shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108955 - 25/03/04 01:42 PM deep mud
broncox Offline

Loc: chicago
We are planning to go to the badlands off road park this weekend. The park is in Indiana. We have had alot of rain as of late. my X is stock except for upgraded tires BFG AT KO 31's Which are good but would like advice on possible damage deep mud may cause. short term, long term, recovery. Truck is in great shape now but what should I expect other than to get stuck and muddy. laugh

#108956 - 25/03/04 02:12 PM Re: deep mud
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
BFG AT's will fill with mud almost immediately and do you no good. Even BFG MT's will suck not much later than the AT's. The only thing I've seen that works really well are Boggers or agricultural tires.

Is it mud or muddy holes filled with water? Avoid muddy water deeper than your hubs. You should repack your bearings if you spend a lot of time with them underwater. You can get crap in your alternator and kill it. Also you can get stuff into different emissions control sensors and get a check engine light. If you get the driver side fender deep enough you can suck crap into the intake and blow the motor.

Also you may throw of the tire balance with crud packed in the rim. Find a car wash if it happens to you and try to get your rims clean.

For recovery, make sure your doors are above water before opening. Take a spare pair of shoes and clothes. It can get real messy.

#108957 - 25/03/04 02:24 PM Re: deep mud
broncox Offline

Is it mud or muddy holes filled with water? Avoid muddy water deeper than your hubs.

We will probably spend most of the day in mud/water as deep as the hub. and probably run into both pure mud and water filled mud holes.
The mud at badlands is bottomless if not care full

#108958 - 25/03/04 02:36 PM Re: deep mud
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're at's are gonna be nearly worthless in the mud, especially in the clay mud that is notorious in the badlands and just about everywhere else in the midwest.

1. Try to clean out your tread whenever possible. If they get caked over, spin them out on the first patch of dry land.

2. Bring at least 1 gallon of spare water. This can be used to wash out your alternator if it gets filled with mud. You will know it when the charging light comes on. Its also good for splashing off your windows before you turn on the wipers and scratch the glass. Maybe get distilled water too, iin case you need to top off your radiator from a leak or overheat.

3. I bring my waders when I go mudding. If you get stuck in 1 inch deep or 1 foot deep, you're still gonna be the guy hooking up your own tow strap.

4. When washing off your truck make sure to clean out your wheels and brakes. Also, if you're washing the engine, never use the high-pressure.....you'll penetrate sealed connections and cause damage.

If you're going through deep water, you should put a thin coating of grease on the door seals. It is good to close all the windows and turn on the air. This will create positive pressure within the cab so that you can fight water coming through the door seals. I got this one from a fellow XOC'r.
Above all, keep your pedal to the floor.

#108959 - 25/03/04 03:01 PM Re: deep mud
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by broncox:
Is it mud or muddy holes filled with water? Avoid muddy water deeper than your hubs.

We will probably spend most of the day in mud/water as deep as the hub. and probably run into both pure mud and water filled mud holes.
The mud at badlands is bottomless if not care full
I went there last year, in late June but wasn't that muddy. I'd try to meet you guys if I wan't going to Moab next weekend. I know the OHV park near me just isn't fun when it's really muddy. I've skipped trips out there to save on the aggravation.

#108960 - 25/03/04 04:47 PM Re: deep mud
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
DO NOT venture through the "tubes" (giant culverts)! If it's been raining as you say, the water on the other side will be quite deep, possibly over the hood.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#108961 - 25/03/04 05:09 PM Re: deep mud
broncox Offline

No I will not be doing the tubes I have seen to many photos of people going off the deep end and needing a new engine. I remember someone with a yellow X did it and Hydrolocked the engine?
No thanks this is a daily driver.

#108962 - 25/03/04 05:56 PM Re: deep mud
Aero Steve Offline

If the water level is up so there is water in the tubes don't try at all. But if it's that bad you probably can't get to them. One side is really deep, the other wasn't to my hubs when I was there. I did have a problem though. When I dropped out my sliders got hung on the corrugations in the tube. I had to tugged out.

#108963 - 25/03/04 07:29 PM Re: deep mud
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some time ago, I drove across a river bottom Dunkin\' DBAX
The water at its highest was maybe 45". Recently however in a similar situation, I ran the X along a lakebed, filled with water :rolleyes: For approximately 5 truck lengths the hood was not only under water, but from what I could see it was nearing the tops of the side mirrors. eek I'm gonna' say 52", it was 5-6 inches over my bottom window edge. The water is fresh and clear so it was a bit eery chugging along under the surface as the water in front of and above the X became illuminated in the dark that night. Very surreal, almost like swimming in the pool after dark. My intake remained dry (again) and strangely so did the interior (unlike the first time [Laughing] ). Perhaps proof of the aforementioned theory utilizing cabin pressure ?.. Not posting for a roasting here, I just thought I'd add my personal experience of deep water crossing. The X is very capable, very capable indeed.
ps, still no snorkel.

#108964 - 26/03/04 11:12 AM Re: deep mud
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
If the water level is up so there is water in the tubes don't try at all. But if it's that bad you probably can't get to them. One side is really deep, the other wasn't to my hubs when I was there. I did have a problem though. When I dropped out my sliders got hung on the corrugations in the tube. I had to tugged out.
That was the coolest thing I saw and heard. Your antenna made the coolest noise on the corrugations going pop pop pop was sweet. I had a pic of you hung up but deleted them all from online. I have them on disk.

#108965 - 26/03/04 11:48 AM Re: deep mud
Aero Steve Offline

Thanks, but I have my own.

#108966 - 27/03/04 05:24 AM Re: deep mud
TrialsX Offline

Loc: Florida
Pics of a Yellow X, suck by the tubes? Hydrolocked? I have no idea what you guys are talking about! :rolleyes:

Yup, that was me and the "Rubber Ducky." Several other trucks have been lost down there. It used to be really cool to run through those tubes. However, it's more than worth staying away from them. You can still run the creek, and there is a way around the tubes.

I didn't need a new engine. All in all, as much as the entire episode sucked whale dong, I got pretty lucky. After all was said and done, I was out $2k for everything. [Freak]

Great thing about the badlands that there is lots of places that are pretty wide open. You can drive around and kind of pic and choose what you want to do. Running the trails can be a different deal sometimes.

Post some pics when you get back! Enjoy!

#108967 - 28/03/04 02:23 AM Re: deep mud
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Some time ago, I drove across a river bottom Dunkin\' DBAX
The water at its highest was maybe 45". Recently however in a similar situation, I ran the X along a lakebed, filled with water :rolleyes: For approximately 5 truck lengths the hood was not only under water, but from what I could see it was nearing the tops of the side mirrors. eek I'm gonna' say 52", it was 5-6 inches over my bottom window edge. The water is fresh and clear so it was a bit eery chugging along under the surface as the water in front of and above the X became illuminated in the dark that night. Very surreal, almost like swimming in the pool after dark. My intake remained dry (again) and strangely so did the interior (unlike the first time [Laughing] ). Perhaps proof of the aforementioned theory utilizing cabin pressure ?.. Not posting for a roasting here, I just thought I'd add my personal experience of deep water crossing. The X is very capable, very capable indeed.
ps, still no snorkel.
eek

Pics?

#108968 - 28/03/04 06:33 AM Re: deep mud
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unfortunately no pics, just a few witness'...

#108969 - 29/03/04 08:09 PM Re: deep mud
Anonymous
Unregistered

speeking of deep mud.... i just got stuck in some today... i was trying to go across a trail that was partially wet lands... it looked dry and sturdy... then once i got ontop of it my X fell through into about 10 inches of mud... my tires were soft but they are still just not getting the job done... i really need some AT's... anywho... i did get out with some help of two friends yanking on a tow strap and rocking it back and forth... ill never go on that trail again though... really got my adrenaline going.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal