2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110379 - 19/09/06 05:31 PM Memorial Tribute Xcursion for Robb Logan
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those who do not know, [Uh Oh !] I am saddened to let you all know that on Saturday, July 1, 2006, Robb Logan passed away in Las Vegas due to complications related to the illness he valiantly fought for the past several years.

He was a sometimes controversial member of SCCX, was widely traveled, and became well known in many Xterra clubs, including NCCX. laugh I remember him as one who was always full-of-energy, full-of-life, and often mischievous! I first met him many years ago at the CALX in Sequoia NP.

I hold many fond memories of Xcursions with Logan....whether in his yellow Xterra, his silver Frontier, or his Volvo X-Country. He always brought excitement and a sense of humor to any Xcursion he attended!

There was not any "official" funeral, but some of us are making plans to hold a memorial tribute to him at one of his favorite spots -- the Geologist's Cabin in Death Valley (actually, Butte Valley). Blue-J (Jean Miller) told me he had taken her there before his illness had progressed so she could watch the sun rise over Striped Butte....something he said she just HAD to experience!

We are tentatively planning on holding this Xcursion on the weekend of October 13-15. Plans are to stay in Ballarat on Friday night, drive through Goler Wash and over Mengel Pass into Butte Valley on Saturday, spending Saturday night at the Geologist's cabin, holding the memorial there as the sun rises over Striped Butte, recounting our memories of Logan, and returning home through Death Valley on Sunday.

Those of you that would like to participate in Logan's remembrance, please let me know by e-mailing me at L_J_Jefferson@yahoo.com.

Please also forward this message along to anyone who knew him and might want to attend.

Thanks and God bless,
Lory Jefferson aka Blue Leader
Co-founder/Former Board Member
SCCX (So Cal Club Xterra)

#110380 - 21/09/06 09:42 AM Re: Memorial Tribute Xcursion for Robb Logan
Anonymous
Unregistered

The vast majority of those who replied to me said this date was good, so please plan on 10/13 - 10/15 for the Logan Memorial Xcursion to Butte Valley.

As Brian McKibbin (XToolbox) said the trip to the Geologist Cabin can be done in ~3 hours from Ballarat, he suggested a Saturday morning run through Pleasant Canyon/South Park Loop before going to Butte Valley. I've read that this can be an all-day trip -- could even finish it after dark with a large group [Uh Oh !] (depending, of course, on current trail conditions).

If there are some that don't want to do the full loop including "Chicken Rock" [Huh?] and the log bridge (1000'+ drop-off) eek , I can lead them back from Rogers Pass/Middle Park Canyon, forgoing the more difficult trip through South Park Canyon, and lead them back through Pleasant Canyon, to head into Butte Valley via Goler Wash.

Hope this meets with everyone's approval.....look forward to seeing you all !!

Lory Jefferson aka Blue Leader

#110381 - 04/10/06 07:59 PM Re: Memorial Tribute Xcursion for Robb Logan
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Logan Memorial Xcursion promises to be a fun trip and a nice way to honor Logan, so please join us if you can:

General idea:

10/13 Friday night camp at Ballarat (across the road from the general store). Primitive Sites

10/14 General run: 9am meet in Ballarat for the Pleasant Canyon Loop. (23miles, 6 hrs; Moderate until South Park that is more difficult)

I will be going as far as Rogern's Pass, and then leading a group back down the way we came --this will be for those who don't want to drive the more difficult and potentially dangerous South Park Canyon, which includes "Chicken Rock", a tight left-hand off-camber turn, which tosses you towards a 1000'+ dropoff, and a narrow wood bridge made from telephone poles, which also has that 1000'+ dropoff. Either way we will head into Butte Valley via Goler Wash and spend the night near the Geologists' Cabin.

10/15- Memorial at sun-up on Sunday morning (one of his favorite things to do was to watch the sun rise over Striped Butte), and then continue east, out through Death Valley, returning home Sunday afternoon.

Reference / GPS:
Backcountry Adventures: So Cal by Massey & Wilson
Pleasant Canyon Loop Trail Desert #35
Mengel Pass Trail, Desert # 33

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal