2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111 - 06/02/06 03:00 PM Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am in need of a new vehicle and narrowed it down to the X or Pathfinder. I have a child on the way and my wife won't go for a minivan or compact SUV. I live in MN, and on a farm so this would be a bit more than a suburbs cruiser
Looking at the following X:
2006 Xterra X
5spd Auto
4x4
Power Package
Maybe Splash guards
TGT Price: $23,400

Looking at the following Pathfinder:
2006 Pathfinder S
5spd Auto
4x4
Body Side moldings
in Cabin filter
Maybe splash guards
TGT price: $26,745

Is the pathfinder worth 3K-4K more than the X? I like the 3rd row seating, independent rear suspension, refined interior, color matched bumpers, and nicer wheels on the pathfinder. that said, I like the rugged look of the X, don't know if I would ever use the 3rd row seating and with the addition of the power package on the X, in terms of functionality, it is basically the same as the pathfinder. Just not as asthetically pleasing inside.

Milage should be comparable as they run basically the same motor and the insurance quotes I got are exactly the same on both. Is the pathfinder worth the extra money? Also the target prices I got were from edmunds.com. Are they realistic? If not, what prices should I be looking at?

FYI, this is my fun car:
Link to cardomain

#112 - 06/02/06 03:03 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great 1st post, Pathys are nice, but get the X [ThumbsUp] The kid'll love it smile And great fun car too. The yellow paint really sets it off wink

#113 - 06/02/06 03:11 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would either get the avalanche white, Solar yellow, or maybe the Red brawn on the X. With the unpainted bumpers, you need a color that contrasts them well like the white or yellow. On the pathfinder, I would be looking at the silver lightning, the red brawn, or maybe the granite.

I am just really having a hard time desiding which is the right vehicle for me. It will only mean about an extra $100/month for the pathfinder, but if the X has all I need at a cheaper price, why spend the extra money?

#114 - 06/02/06 03:15 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

living in MN on a farm I'd gather you might like to fish/hunt? The '05+ XTERRA is a perfect vehicle for the outdoorsman. Unless you wanted something 4wd and cushy to get in and out of town with, for me it's an easy decision, the X.

#115 - 06/02/06 03:20 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would do a bit of ice fishing but no time or desire to hunt. We have a decent size golden retriever that my wife likes to haul around as well.

I really don't consider the pathfinder to be all the cushy?? is it?

#116 - 06/02/06 03:23 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
MaloCS Offline

Well,

The question you need to ask yourself is how much serious offroading are you going to do? If you envision your SUV as a family car, a work vehicle and a moderate to serious offroader then go for the Xterra. The platform is proven and has plenty of mods on the market or coming to the market. The Xterra would be much more fun as a moderate to serious offroad adventure vehicle.

If you want a reliable SUV that can haul the family (up to 7 people) to town or on long road trips and can navigate through shallow mud and snow then go for the Pathfinder, especially if you have concerns with interior cabin space. I'm not saying the Pathfinder doesn't have what it takes to get busy offroad but it is longer and wider with independent rear suspension. The Pathfinder also offers more comfort options then the Xterra.

In fact, we're think of getting a Pathfinder for my wife when we finally decide to have kids. smile

#117 - 06/02/06 03:33 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought the pathfinder and X were the same width?
I have both listed at 61.8" tread width and 72.8" overall width?

The X is about 9" shorter overall length and on about a 6" shorter wheel base.

The cabin spaces is basically the same. The pathfinder just has the 3rd row seats which are only good for people no taller than 5'2" or so.

Am I getting 3-4 grand more vehicle in the pathfinder? Does it justify the extra price is what I guess I am asking?

#118 - 06/02/06 03:54 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get the Pathfinder.

jk...I don't think you'll get the most objective answer here, but I'll at least say that you've got narrowed down to two excellent choices.

good luck.

oh, and i throw in a vote for the Night Armor! laugh

#119 - 06/02/06 03:56 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Zivman:
I thought the pathfinder and X were the same width?
You're probably right on this as I just typed from memory and my memory has been known to be wrong at times. laugh

If more interior/cushy space is a concern then the Pathfinder is a better choice. If offroad prowess is more of a concern then go for the Xterra. smile

#120 - 06/02/06 04:14 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
I have an X and the wife now has a pathy. Both are very similar and imo it comes down to the rear suspension and the need or lack of need for a third row. smile
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#121 - 06/02/06 04:42 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Zivman
go to Nissan's site and use their copmarison page to look at the ones you are consisering side by side. In my opinion it comes down to the Pathfinder offering a little more as far as "Luxury" items with Nissan tageting the X to the crowd that want "everything you need and nothing you don't"

#122 - 08/02/06 01:02 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd go with the X. I just got my 2006 Xterra 'S' model and love it. I heard that the Pathfinder is basically the same vehicle with a third-row seat that's pretty cramped. The 'X' looks more unique and rugged too, and it's cheaper. Both are good vehicles though, you won't go wrong with either.

#123 - 08/02/06 01:17 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Zivman, I agree, you probably won't get the most objective answer here - this is a site dedicated to X'es!

But that said, consider this. I have a FULL sized black lab (about 90lbs), you have a golden retreiver. In either case, they are not small dogs. If you plan to take yor goldie in the truck (you mention your wife does this all the time), do you want him/her on the seats? Especially after it's been out running in the snow/mud/lake/etc. as retrievers like to do? The X has a cargo area, the Pathy has the 3rd row. If your four-legged baby gets in all wet and stinky, do you really want it on the seats? With the Pathy, you have no choice. With the X, you have the cargo area...

-G-

#124 - 08/02/06 01:38 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

i believe that the third row folds flat to the floor, and is covered with the same plastic material that the back of the X is...smaller than the back are of the X, but definetely more than 'no option'

the pathy takes better than regular gas. i've heard premium or just plus...dunno. my squad leader(he bought his at the same time/place i bought my X) uses 91 in his.

the pathy definetley felt 'bigger' inside than my X. i'm not a real large person, so it fits me well.

umm, the pathy comes with a in-bumper trailer hitch and can tow more. (6k vs 5k)

gotta go out and test drive them. i guess the biggest difference is the size, and the fuel type.

Pathy:
Passenger volume: 4,222 L (149.1 cu.ft.)
Exterior length: 4,765mm (187.6")
Exterior body width: 1,849mm (72.8")
Exterior height: 1,849mm (72.8")
Wheelbase: 2,850mm (112.2")
Turning radius: 6.0m (19.6')
Interior cargo volume: 467L (16.5 cu.ft.)
Interior cargo volume seats folded: 1,393L (49.2 cu.ft.)
Interior maximum cargo volume: 2,243L (79.2 cu.ft.)

X:
Exterior length: 4,539mm (178.7")
Exterior body width: 1,849mm (72.8")
Exterior height: 1,902mm (74.9")
Wheelbase: 2,700mm (106.3")
Turning radius: 5.7m (18.8')
Interior cargo volume: 997L (35.2 cu.ft.)
Interior cargo volume seats folded: 1,860L (65.7 cu.ft.)
Interior maximum cargo volume: 1,860L (65.7 cu.ft.)

#125 - 27/02/06 08:23 PM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

all right guys -

here is the deal. I am in the process of selling my current car to get into either the X or pathfinder. The dealer is quoting me a good price on an 06 pathfinder - about 1100 below invoice. There are a couple 05 Xterra S models around town. A silver one with 4x4 auto and power package and a few goodies for 21,500. The same dealer quoting me the good price on the pathfinder said he can track me down a night armor colored Xterra S with similar options for 22,200.

After driving both, I prefer the Pathfinder in both looks and feel. The wife likes the Xterra. Thing is, I dislike the night armor color and who knows if the silver will be sold by the time my car sells , which I am hoping is by the end of the week.

I will know tomorrow what the situation is as I have a guy coming up for a second test drive on my current vehicle (I am keeping the Z, so no worries)

#126 - 28/02/06 01:30 AM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Same here ... wife likes the X way more than the Pathy. We have a Great Dane that we take along with us some times. Also have two girls, one is still in a car-seat, and a son in the Navy ... so even when everyones' together the X still has plenty of room for the family. Just remember, if the wife aint happy nobodys' happy (I think that comes from a country song or somethin').

I like what you've done to your Z, my '99 Cobra was pushing 436 on the dyno before Ford bought it back from me.

#127 - 28/02/06 07:43 AM Re: Buying Xterra vs Pathfinder
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Independent suspension is a BAD thing in a truck that will be taken off the pavement.

That is why so many Xterra owners are cutting out the independent front suspension and putting in Jeep axles... sure it rides rougher on the street - but it's incredible in the rocks.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal