2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111231 - 19/05/04 02:17 PM Local shock question
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Couple questions I wanted to ask the local guys here. My Xterra is in desperate need of some new shocks. I really want to get some Bilsteins but after reading the thousands of posts under the "suspension" heading I have to say I am more confused than I am ready to go online or go locally and make a purchase.

For those of you who are knowledgeable on this topic, I was hoping you could point out either the correct part # for the Bilstein shocks I need to replace my OEM shocks.

FOr additional information you might need to know in order to help is I do not plan on ever installing a winch bumper, and #2 I have Calmini rear sway bar quick disconnects on in the rear. I really don't need the shocks to be any stiffer, just want to make sure they will fit and work with my quick disconnects in the rear.

Thanks if anyone is able to help.

CJ

PS. Is there anywhere local in Northern California I can go to purchase these shocks? Thanks

#111232 - 19/05/04 09:45 PM Re: Local shock question
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
CJ, I think I'm one of the few members on XOC that had issues with my Bilsteins. When they were new the were great! Handled great and perfect for off-roading, but after a few years my fronts were shot and my X handled worse than with stock shocks...I think I had a rare case as many members are happy with their Bilsteins after years of use.

That being said, your best bet would be to get them online at eshocks or some place similar. Here's the link to the correct set for what you speced in your post.

eshocks

4x4 parts has them also

#111233 - 19/05/04 10:10 PM Re: Local shock question
KaiOtiK Offline

Loc: Mountain View, Ca.
Hey Slamson00,

I installed the 20% stiffer Bilstein shocks a few years ago. They seem to ride just fine, but if I was upgrading stock shocks again, I would have to lean towards the new Rancho RX9000X shocks with 9 adjustable points for ride comfort on & off road... [Smoking]

PS: There is no way to adjust the bilstein shocks!

#111234 - 20/05/04 08:50 AM Re: Local shock question
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I'm not impressed with the Bilsteins at all. My fronts are about shot after a couple of years (very low mileage--I think I just hit 24k...) of rough use, and they've always been a bit harsh and bouncey. On washboard, they really suck.

The Ranchos are very nice, I need to get a set for the front...

If you are essentially stock and want a *very* comfortable ride w/excellent control, go with the Tokicos. They aren't anywhere near as jittery as the Bilsteins and they work fine for light (read, not extreme) offroad. Don't bother with the whole "kit", just get the shocks.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#111235 - 20/05/04 02:04 PM Re: Local shock question
slamson00 Offline

Wow and I thought I was confused before. LOL

Bottom line, I am looking for a combination of a decently priced shock that can mainly handle onroad well, and off road to the extent that I usually run the trails out the Backcountry adventures book for SUV. I don't get xtreme so that should narrow it down a little. I also plan on pulling a travel trailer in the next year or so if that makes a difference

I do like the idea of being able to control or set the stiffness of the shocks, but also I don't really care for having to get under the vehicle everytime to set the stiffness. I have heard that the Ranchos are nice, but I have also heard they are pricey as well. Any more comments on those?

#111236 - 23/05/04 09:31 AM Re: Local shock question
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Ranchos are pricey $70-80 each?

If I was primarily on the street with ventures onto logging roads and the like, I would go with the tokicos. Very comfortable, good control, no need to adjust them. Just about anything will work for towing. If you are towing a travel trailer with the X, you will want to get a load leveling/anti-sway hitch setup anyway. I pull a 20' 5,000# trailer with mine.

HERE is where I usually get mine...

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#111237 - 24/05/04 08:46 AM Re: Local shock question
slamson00 Offline

How does your X do pulling that kind of weight and length around? I am looking at an Aljo trailer right now that is 22' in length and about 3600 lbs in dry weight. Loaded I am sure it will be around 5000#. Too big of a trailer?

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal