2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111238 - 05/05/03 03:17 PM Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Just wondering if there is anything going on with the club anymore? Any runs planned foe the near future? Starting to get the itch to get outside?

Has anyone thought about heading up to the Clear Lake area...I hear there are some good OHVP in the area? Anyone familiar with that region?

#111239 - 05/05/03 04:55 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
Horizon??? That would be where the sun rises or sets...haven't seen it for a while, so I'm a little foggy in that area...
However, as soon as the sun does come out for a bit and dries the ground out, I'm all for getting into trouble..er wheelin.
I've been thinking of Barney Riley as a first spring run due to it being first to clear of snow and a fairly easy run.
Anyone else getting the itch??? Not that kind Charlie..

#111240 - 05/05/03 08:54 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
BRT would be good (dry smile ). I have the itch, but it's a new one...I'm trying to ride the bike more. For now I'm just riding on the street back and forth to school and having a pretty good time of it. It's amazing how weak/big (and not a good big...) you get from not moving much [Too much XOC] [Crybaby] laugh

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#111241 - 05/05/03 09:55 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Ok, Charlie is going down BRT on his bike, cameras ready-

we'll meet you at the bottom with band-aids and beer. laugh

I'm there!

-Chris

#111242 - 05/05/03 10:23 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Hey guys, with John gone now gone (umm... is he really gone yet?) and I have a feeling Dave is a bit busy, the club has been somewhat quiet. I'm going to post an In-N-Out meet for next week and the 1st club run for this year. Unfortunately it will probably be a Hollister trip, but I may be in if you guys go to Barney.

As you guys may have already heard John is off to Arizona and Dave is now our sole President. I know Dave will do his best to plan some events, but I'm going to try my best to keep the members active and on some kind of dirt. Let's make this year a fun and safe one! Also look for a new NCCX website soon (don't look too soon tho, I'm kinda busy with work).

[Wave]

#111243 - 06/05/03 08:14 AM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
NthLJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CCX:
Ok, Chrarlie is going down BRT on his bike, cameras ready-

we'll meet you at the bottom with band-aids and beer. laugh

I'm there!

-Chris
Uhhh...No, that wouldn't be me smile I just put road tires on the bike for nice leisurely rides on the street. That kind of riding is for young/rubber people with good Doctors smile I'm looking for a road bike right now so I won't even be tempted to do that kind of stuff!

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#111244 - 06/05/03 08:45 AM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
slamson00 Offline

Is Barney Riley trail considered stock X friendly? I have 31" tires, quick disconnects, but no rocksliderz.......what r my chances out there?

#111245 - 06/05/03 01:31 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by slamson00:
Is Barney Riley trail considered stock X friendly? I have 31" tires, quick disconnects, but no rocksliderz.......what r my chances out there?
Ditto.

#111246 - 06/05/03 01:34 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
KJ_dragon Offline

I missed the last two chances to go with NCCX to Pardoes Rd. How about that?

I have a "Northern CA backcountry roads for SUV's book." It lists a few trails in the sierras. I was planning on checking them out as soon as the snow clears. The trails I have marked are a 3 hour drive from the Bay Area and the actual trail is considered "easy to moderate" and should take a few short hours to complete, with some scenic vista points along the way. They are should be stock friendly and would make a great club run someday. (According to the book anyways..... I personally, have not been there yet)

#111247 - 06/05/03 02:19 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:

I have a "Northern CA backcountry roads for SUV's book." It lists a few trails in the sierras. I was planning on checking them out as soon as the snow clears. The trails I have marked are a 3 hour drive from the Bay Area and the actual trail is considered "easy to moderate" and should take a few short hours to complete, with some scenic vista points along the way. They are should be stock friendly and would make a great club run someday. (According to the book anyways..... I personally, have not been there yet)
I have the same book, too. Personally, I was thinking of taking this Friday off and make a Friday-Saturday Camping trip somewhere in the Sierras...some trails from that book.

If anyone is interested in joining, just let me know...

#111248 - 06/05/03 02:35 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
KJ_dragon Offline

#111249 - 06/05/03 02:38 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
slamson00 Offline

Its a constant theme but I have that same book too. That is why I brought up going to the Clear Lake area. In the book it looks like there are some fun trails in that area of all abilities that should be able to satisfy everyone. Wouldn't have to worry about snow either?

Do you guys know the trails I am referring too?

#111250 - 06/05/03 03:43 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
XSAL Offline

Quote:
This book right?
http://www.4x4books.com/can4wd.htm
Yep. That's the one. smile

#111251 - 06/05/03 03:45 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
XSAL Offline

Quote:
Its a constant theme but I have that same book too. That is why I brought up going to the Clear Lake area. In the book it looks like there are some fun trails in that area of all abilities that should be able to satisfy everyone. Wouldn't have to worry about snow either?

...Nope [Freak] ...Any idea what the trail(s) might be called? I have the book right here with me....

#111252 - 06/05/03 04:09 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
slamson00 Offline

You know off the top of my head I dont.....let me go back home...look at the book tonight. I will post the trails tomorrow.

CJ

#111253 - 06/05/03 04:33 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
XSAL Offline

Is it south of hwy 108, about 30 miles from Sonora??

#111254 - 06/05/03 04:52 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
kayak_x Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Pardoes can be done bone stock minus step rails, with care, but it is a long slog through the rock garden part unless you commit to driving in the wee hours of the morning to start the trail by dawn, you need to call it an overnighter.

#111255 - 06/05/03 05:01 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
XSAL Offline

By the way....does anyone know what elevation you might start seeing some snow on the ground lately?

#111256 - 06/05/03 05:17 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
Quote:
Originally posted by XSAL:
Quote:
[b]Its a constant theme but I have that same book too. That is why I brought up going to the Clear Lake area. In the book it looks like there are some fun trails in that area of all abilities that should be able to satisfy everyone. Wouldn't have to worry about snow either?

...Nope [Freak] ...Any idea what the trail(s) might be called? I have the book right here with me....[/b]
Cow Mountain is kinda up that way..it's another Hollister sort of place although you can go all the way to Ukiah from the southern entrance.

Pardoes I wouldn't consider a bone stock friendly run as there's a good chance of rocker damage. Barney Riley has been done several times by stockers with no damage.

We did Barney Riley late April and again Mid May last year so I'm really hoping these rains we are getting are rain at BRT and not snow. If so, it will be open in a week or so. As soon as it is, I'll post.

#111257 - 06/05/03 07:04 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XSAL:
Is it south of hwy 108, about 30 miles from Sonora??
That looks like a great area to have some NCCX trips. Most of the trails are from 3-5 hours long.

#111258 - 06/05/03 11:19 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
kayak_x Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by olebiker:
Pardoes I wouldn't consider a bone stock friendly run as there's a good chance of rocker damage. [/QB]
Only if you forget what you parked next to when you break for lunch. eek
Expensive lesson to learn, but learn it I did.

#111259 - 07/05/03 06:47 AM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
NthLJ Offline

I wouldn't do Pardoes stock (with an expensive truck smile ). There are a lot of opportunities for damage. If you don't mind that or accept that--cool. 2-day run going easy, with lots to explore on the dead end of the trail (more rocks, steep slab, etc...)

BRT is totally do-able stock and a fun run. You could do it in a day, but it would make for a long day. Much better to set up for the night and have a leisurely run the next day. There are some areas to explore around BRT once camp is set up and some water crossings for the brave (or stupid depending on the time of year) to try--seperate from the trail. I have been lucky enough to do some bear watching on trail runs here, very cool. It's not a hard run, but there are adventures to be had/seen running this trail (as others who have been there can confirm...). This would be a good starting run for the season.

Snow elevation? I don't know, but I plan to find out this weekend. Perhaps a drive on Loope Canyon Rd from Nevada to CA is in order to check BRT access while avoideing the "gate" in the road laugh

#111260 - 07/05/03 08:20 AM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
slamson00 Offline

Yeah I would love to try BRT , I remember the pics from last year it looked like a lot of fun. Just hope the snow vacates soon.

As far as the area I was talking about up by Clear Lake, in the Northern California Backcountry Adventures book, look on pages 500 to 510. Especially the Lovelady Ridge Trail. The other trails are Rayhouse Road, Walker Ridge Road, Bartlett Springs Road, and the Pacific Ridge Trail. The Lovelady trail is the most difficult rated a 7 out of 10, but they all have varying difficulty trails because I guess the area is part of the Stonyford OHV area:

http://www.employees.org/~calridng/stnyfrd.html

So you can basically pick what you like to do the most? If you guys have this book check it.

CJ

#111261 - 07/05/03 08:25 PM Re: Anything on the Horizon for NCCX?
KaiOtiK Offline

Loc: Mountain View, Ca.
Lets go...I'm ready [Smoking]

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal