2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111395 - 26/03/06 07:02 AM Annual Sierra Carnage July 20-30
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am still a little slow to pitch my trips here, being a new X owner and still wheeling my old Montero on most trips. But this is an annual expedition we do each summer. This summer we have different makes coming from around the US. About 10 vehicles so far. Everyone is welcome.
Looking through maps and guidebooks today, always fun. Here are some refinements, for various reasons, including a connection to Hell Hole and avoiding the Con on the weekend. We also sneak into the popular Barrett early on Friday before crowds.

Thursday July 20: Meet at night at Wrights Lake Campground, PM.
Friday July 21: Drive into Barrett Lake and camp.
Short, Hardcore trail 4-5hrs, 4.3mls 1 way, ends at camping on AWESOME Sierras lake. (New trail for us)(Fishing and Hiking)SHORT DAY! Good Vehicle shakedown day.
Saturday July 22: Drive out Barrett lake to Hell Hole, Camp.
An even shorter, VERY HARDCORE trail to large, remote and lesser visited VERY large resevoir. 4.0 miles 1 way, 2hrs.(New trail for us)(Fishing)Long Day with 2 hours of paved and graded roads added. 8:00am START REQUIRED!
Sunday July 23: Drive out Hell Hole to Loon Lake CG. Short Day to Pay campground.(point of no return before things get difficult and remote)
Monday July 24: Start Rubicon to buck Island. First Day on the Rubicon trip can take 6-18hrs! Lesser experienced need to be up to speed BEFORE this day with spotting on major obsticles only. Aproximately 5 miles. Old Sluice SWB run IF TIME ALLOWS. Camp at awesome Canadian style Buck Island lake. Chilly Swimming.
Tuesday July 25: Buck Island to Rubicon Springs. Short, enjoyable Day. Only 2 miles. Beautiful river and comfortable swim hole.
Wednesday July 26:Rubicon Springs out over Barker Pass to Trukee, supply up, camp Tuba River. Up Cadillac Hill and over moderate barker Pass Trail(bi-passes traffic and boring access to Rubicon). Trukee is ONLY supply up on this trip, plan for fuel and supplies accordingly! Tuba River camp is lovely, and close to highway. LONG DAY, REASONABLE START REQUIRED!
Thursday July 27: Do signal Peak trail, camp Tuba River second night. Difficult trail to mountain top, and easy loop back to camp just past Fordyce bi-pass. SHORT DAY.
Friday July 28: Start Fordyce, camp waterfall. 8:00am START REQUIRED! Fordyce makes all the other trails look like the White Rim trail in Moab. It has breaks in the action, more so then some of the others, but the tough sections including winch hills are tough. The scenery is shocking, with diverse flora and fauna and a tight trail through huge trees next to the most beautiful river I have ever seen with endless waterfalls. The campsite is the most beautiful 4x4 campsite in the US. About 6-7miles and atleast 10-12hrs+
Saturday July 29: Rest Day at Waterfall camp, hiking. Climb old man mountain?
Sunday July 30: Drive out Fordyce, Start Home, or camp Meadow Lake. Just over a mile to go....and it will take 8hrs or more! No need to hide those recovery straps today.
Monday July 31: Drive Home.

We could play with options a little more. Signal Peak would be my prefered first elimination trail if we need one. Also could have a rest day somewhere other then Waterfall camp if we desire an earlier break in the trip, half way at Rubicon Springs? We could also keep that loose.

A reminder, ALL these trails are hardcore, but some are short. Also, no full size vehicles allowed on Barrett. And, the face of the Rubicon continues to change. The Gate Keeper has been moderated(it was WAY out of hand last year) and the Little Sluice will no longer be a rock buggy play spot, but the hardest place on the trail for mortal, built rigs instead.

#111396 - 26/03/06 11:01 PM Re: Annual Sierra Carnage July 20-30
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Sounds like a full itinerary! Have fun!

#111397 - 27/03/06 06:31 AM Re: Annual Sierra Carnage July 20-30
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
Sounds like a full itinerary! Have fun!
It is always a full itinerary smile Definately not a country club type wheeler, but I usually schedule more then can be done. I am priety good at scheduling Sierras stuff now though, but breakage is a huge variable as a schedule progresses.

#111398 - 27/03/06 10:35 AM Re: Annual Sierra Carnage July 20-30
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
There aren't any NCCX members whose Xterras could survive a trip like the one you've planned. You should post this on SCCX. There are more hard-core guys in that group who either have beater built rigs (i.e. non-Xterras) or whose X's are SAS'ed and locked and might be capable of completing this trip.

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal