shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112269 - 02/09/06 11:32 AM We-Rock Donner comp pics
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
Last weekend was the We-Rock rock crawl competition at donner ski resort so Geoff and I decided to go. The weather was perfect and there was plenty of action happening all around us.

If you've never seen this kind of thing, the buggies follow a course and must go through cones along the way. You get docked points for touching the cones, going into reverse, and using rear steer. You are also running against the clock so a lot of times the buggies will waste a lot of time trying to get over an obstacle, get down to the wire and then floor it the rest of the way to the finish.

We would hear a crowd off in the distance cheer and we'd know somebody had rolled. This would be confirmed a couple seconds later when we'd see a cloud of smoke in the air from the oil leaking into the combustion chamber. Although, I think there were more rolls when I went 2 years ago.

It's amazing how close you can get to the action, lots of times people would go running from the course because the buggies were flooring it and getting close. The capabilities of the buggies is also amazing, rear steer really helps. Anyway, on to the pics.

Click here, best viewed with IE.

I also uploaded some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkhDbiNcFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02R6jNcdy2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYkVyjvN0L4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM7FLB3XpZQ

The neat thing about this year is the number of people in attendance who had never seen anything like it. There were a couple old ladies who said they saw some fliers in town and decided to check it out. They said they had a great time. I highly recommend you guys check it out next year.

#112270 - 02/09/06 02:02 PM Re: We-Rock Donner comp pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went as well that shit was insane! I got one of shannon cambells fenders from when she rolled the bonus line on A-3! sick!!!! [ThumbsUp] [drink]

#112271 - 05/09/06 08:25 AM Re: We-Rock Donner comp pics
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Looks cool. I'll have to make time to go next year.

In the competitions I've seen on Speed Channel, the spotters usually have ski-ropes attached to the front of the crawler to keep it from rolling backward on some of those super tough climbs. What was different about this event? None of the spotters were "attached" to the rigs.

#112272 - 05/09/06 12:12 PM Re: We-Rock Donner comp pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by C man:
I went as well that shit was insane! I got one of shannon cambells fenders from when she rolled the bonus line on A-3! sick!!!! [ThumbsUp] [drink]
BTW Shannon Campbell is a he.

#112273 - 05/09/06 12:55 PM Re: We-Rock Donner comp pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] Very cool.

Was there anyone there NOT running the BFG Krawler TA's ?? haha

#112274 - 05/09/06 04:48 PM Re: We-Rock Donner comp pics
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
Not sure what the deal with the ski ropes were, maybe they get docked points for using it. I did see 1 team use it though.

On that note, there was one buggy that was teetering on going over. I heard the crowd off to my left do a collective, "ooooohhhh", in slow motion. The buggy was in the process of a very slow flop so at the last minute the spotter ran up and pushed the buggy back over before it could flop. Cheers all around!

Maxxis was a big sponsor so I saw a couple of the gnarly looking ones, the trepadors.

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal