shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113030 - 17/05/03 09:01 AM Driving and maybe wheeling..........
debgary Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Yea, I know I've been away from the family for a couple of months, but......... My driving partner Matt and I are planning to get away over the Memorial Day weekend. We'll be leaving Friday afternoon around 3:00pm and taking Hiway 108 over, if we make it that far. Photography is the main purpose but if I have to 4 wheel to get to where I want, so much the better. Caltrans says they expect to have 108 open for the weekend and the weather forcast for Dardanelle, which is just this side of the western gate, is clear and warm all week. So it should open. Unfortunately Tioga will still be closed. I was looking forward to Tuolumne Meadows. We have no particular destination in mind but seeing Bodie with snow is a thought. We will return home Monday afternoon. Camping is rough and where it can be found. Campgrounds are not out of the question, we just don't waste time looking for one. Let me know if you're interested and we'll set up a meeting point. [Laughing]

#113031 - 19/05/03 08:15 AM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
debgary Offline

I know when I'm not loved! Fine, we'll go alone. [Crybaby]

#113032 - 19/05/03 10:43 AM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Well, at least you got your buddy to go with. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of doing something similar to what you planned...except my plan is to go farther North..involving more driving hours. wink

...And, let's not get into who's loved or not... [Smoking]

#113033 - 21/05/03 12:19 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Who is doing what this weekend?? My wife is going on a girly trip all weekend and I was thinking of hitting the mountains...Adventure anyone? laugh

edit: I think I'
m going to be in the Henness Pass, Stampede Res./Lake, Verdi, Dog Valley areas...

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#113034 - 21/05/03 01:12 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
puffdc Offline

Loc: NOR CAL
well gary,
i'll be in the dardanelle area on a backpacking trip to kennedy lake. i was just up there the other the day & it was gorgeous! there still is alot of snow but alot of run-off is happening w/the temperature heading up to the 90's.
have fun...i will wink

#113035 - 21/05/03 05:49 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
XSAL Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieX:
edit:
I think I'm going to be in the Henness Pass, Stampede Res./Lake, Verdi, Dog Valley areas...
After finding out that Lassen Volcanic NP was only half open, I changed my mind to look around a bit closer. The Henness Pass was one of them, but I have pretty much made up my mind to be headed to about 30-40 miles northeast of Chico, instead.

It's a bit farther away from the area you are planning to go, but wanna join us? laugh

#113036 - 21/05/03 07:41 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
NthLJ Offline

Where are you headed?

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#113037 - 22/05/03 12:05 AM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
XSAL Offline

Well, right now, it looks like we (as just me and the wife) are going to start out from Chico to Ponderosa Way (28N29). We are going to be headed to McCarthy Point (27N08), instead of staying on the Ponderosa Way, then. From that point on, I don't know where we might go. I can see many trails on the map, and we just go to where we can. The elevation gets higher, and I don't know what the ground conditions are like. [Uh Oh !]

Since it is a 3-day weekend, we'll be camping at somewhere... This trip is really going to be one of those "drive as far as you can/want, and set up a camp just before it gets dark." :rolleyes:

#113038 - 22/05/03 07:48 AM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
NthLJ Offline

I'll pretty much be doing the same thing. The snow shouldn't be too bad where I'm headed as it's been in the 80's for a few days smile I might look into old hwy 40 and trails that may be off that stretch if it's open. Barney Riley and kicking around the Leviathan Mine area is possible as well. I can't make up my mind.

#113039 - 22/05/03 09:57 AM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
XSAL Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieX:
I might look into old hwy 40 and trails that may be off that stretch if it's open. Barney Riley and kicking around the Leviathan Mine area is possible as well. I can't make up my mind.
Yea.... You really live in a good area...close to all those nice trails nearby.

I'll have to drive at least 4 hours to get to where I want to while you might drive 2 hours most or something like that? :rolleyes:

#113040 - 22/05/03 02:17 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
NthLJ Offline

For some of them two whole hours including the wheeling :p I try and stay within 100 miles of the house or so...It saves on the towing bills laugh

#113041 - 25/05/03 10:42 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
debgary Offline

I apologize if I left anybody hanging. I stopped checking this post after Tuesday. We left Friday afternoon and took Hiway 108 as far Twain Harte to stay at a friend of my driving partners for the night. We continued on in the morning and took 108 through Bridgeport to Masonic Road just north. Went up to the Success Mine for some photography and then continued up Masonic/Bodie Road intending on getting into Bodie. It was clear that snow was going to be a major problem. We "Treaded Lightly" by driving around a large patch of snow on the road, then continued up the road. We made a couple of other attempts through the snow covered road but at one point it was clear we would go no further. I think we were only about 2 miles from Bodie. So we turned around and headed back to the last marker for Bodie and turned onto County Rd. 168, which was supposed to get into Bodie through Aurora. We got down that road, if you can call it that, for several miles until it became a large swamp. When it dries up this would make a great club run. We ended up going back the way we came to 395 and took it south to Lee Vining for the night. Sunday morning we left for Bodie by way of the "Old Railroad Grade" that goes around the backside of Mono Lake. We photographed Bodie for a couple of hours and then decided with the time we had that maybe we could head home now instead of putting up with worse traffic on Monday.

#113042 - 26/05/03 09:02 AM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
NthLJ Offline

Sounds like a good time. I should have gone with you guys smile

I spent my time getting eaten by mosquitos at the top of a mountain. Those little buggers like the warmer temps and the moisture from the remaining snow. I ran into some really good offroad sections...some rock, mud, and fire/logging roads along with a couple of "oh $hit, oh $hit, oh $hit--off camber areas. I spent about 10 hours driving and exploring so no real complaints from me.

A few pictures here...

#113043 - 28/05/03 09:06 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
debgary Offline

Now that I have a place to put photo's I need to do this when I can. Some pic's of our Memorial Day Drive.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/garysxterra@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/Memorial+Day+Drive&.view=t smile

#113044 - 28/05/03 10:40 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
NthLJ Offline

Awsome shots. The highway shot is a perfect example of NV/CA roads in this area. When I came out here from CT many years ago my reaction to the wide open spaces was-- eek

I hope you didn't mind me sharing this thread. I realized that I may not have been using proper etiquette (sp?) in jumping in like I did...

#113045 - 29/05/03 01:00 PM Re: Driving and maybe wheeling..........
debgary Offline

No big deal.

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal