2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114881 - 10/04/03 02:53 PM Anybody wanna help me?
GrumpyTom Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Hey all,

I just took in my truck for the ABS recall, and they mentioned my brakes are getting a little thin. Anybody have the tools necessary (and time) to help me out? I have replaced both drum and disc brakes in the past, but it's been a long time, and I'm sure it would help to have someone there who has recent experience. I was also hoping to re-pack the bearings...

About how long should I expect it to take, what materials do I need, etc...?

Thanks,

GT

#114882 - 10/04/03 03:16 PM Re: Anybody wanna help me?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Do you have a garage? 'cause this weekend is going to be rain...I don't know about the weekend after...

I just recently got my fronts done...I had my friend mechanic do the job (pads replaced, rotors turned, bearing repacked)....'cause I knew my rotors were warped.

He recommends that rotors be turned everytime you need to change pads....just because you cannot feel if rotors warped does not mean they are in good shape.

Anyway, I'd like to help, but that depends on when you plan to work on them...

#114883 - 10/04/03 03:26 PM Re: Anybody wanna help me?
GrumpyTom Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
How much did your friend charge? The dealership wants ~$500, which I don't want to have to pay if I can get away with it. I recognize the importance of turning the rotors, and obviously I can't do that myself, but thought I could just get by without doing it this time.

Yes, I have a garage, but am seriously lacking in some "special" tools (jack, jack stands, brake tools).

#114884 - 10/04/03 05:04 PM Re: Anybody wanna help me?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyTom:
How much did your friend charge? The dealership wants ~$500, which I don't want to have to pay if I can get away with it. I recognize the importance of turning the rotors, and obviously I can't do that myself, but thought I could just get by without doing it this time.
Well, I cannot announce how much he charged me for the job, but I can ask him how much it would be for you.
Quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyTom:
Yes, I have a garage, but am seriously lacking in some "special" tools (jack, jack stands, brake tools).
I got a floor jack (not the best kind), jack stands, ...what exactly do brake tools consist of?

#114885 - 10/04/03 05:12 PM Re: Anybody wanna help me?
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Hey Tom I saw you on 101 on the way to work again yesterday. I'm was in a green eagle talon but you didn't see me waving.

BTW, I was going to get a set of PowerStop rotors (slotted and drilled) and MetalMaster brake pads for my fronts next. The parts should cost you less than $300 and you can do the install in a hour (2 if you take your time). Dean has a set and really likes them, but I'm not sure where he bought them... Anyways, it very simple to do the fronts, you will need a socket set and wrenches (specifically 17mm and 22mm if I remember correctly), some c-clamps to press the calipers back, jack stands, brake cleaner, a screw driver to help pry stuff off, and a few other things that you probably have.

#114886 - 10/04/03 05:30 PM Re: Anybody wanna help me?
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
You really only need one c-clamp. Just use the removed pad as a bridge. Screwdriver is helpful as is a 10mm (?) to bleed the brakes. It's not a bad job, and for what you would pay someone else you can use brand new parts (loaded calipers included). It's just basic tools, pads, fluid, anti-squeel goo (<--the technical name smile ), and some time...go for it. Napa should have everything you need and the job should cost well under $200 with just new pads (front and rear), $250-$300 with new rotors and pads (no drums as they are usually within spec, the fronts are the ones that take the beating). If you really want to get crazy, damn near the whole system can be had for $800 or so... laugh

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal