shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114928 - 24/06/03 09:33 PM 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Ok, let's see if anyone is interested.

I guess the first trail will be Sour Grass off of HWY4 in Big Trees. This is an easy/moderate trail, stock vehicles should easily make it but I'm going to require that factory step-rails and lower mud flaps be removed. It's recommended that you have rocker protection/sliders, recovery attatchments front and rear, and a recovery strap. The trail is narrow so expect a few minor scratches, but nothing to worry about if you drive carefully.

The second trail will either be Corral Hollow, or the trail Akio pointed out. This ofcourse depends on who goes on the trip. I'm interested in exploring this Bear Valley loop as far as I can make it, but not with beginners, so it really depends on who goes.

Since it's a day trip meeting times will be a bit early as I'm hoping to leave for home before dark. Ok, here's the tentative plan;

7am - Meet in Pleasanton at the McDonalds
7:30 (sharp) we take off
10:30 - Arrive at Big Trees and do some trails
You can meet the group here if it works out better.

We can change the trails around a bit (depending on who goes) but they will all be off of HWY4. So, who's game? smile

Sign me up:
----------------------
1. Huey

#114929 - 24/06/03 09:54 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
.....I'm going to require that factory step-rails and lower mud flaps be removed......
Wow, Ian Jr. laugh

#114930 - 24/06/03 10:01 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Huey Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CCX:
Wow, Ian Jr. laugh
Hey I'm not that big of a nazi! :p I just don't like people that unprepared holding up the group... hahahah... I guess I am turning into Ian. [Laughing]

No soup for you!

#114931 - 24/06/03 10:51 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
puffdc Offline

Loc: NOR CAL
Sign me up:
----------------------
1. Huey
2.danny (tentatively)

#114932 - 25/06/03 10:35 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by dirty dee:
Sign me up:
----------------------
1. Huey
2.danny (tentatively)
3.slamson (tent...depends on which trails due to stock status laugh

#114933 - 25/06/03 10:53 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was thinking of heading up there on the night of the 4th. I'm going to be rafting in Sac and was planning on staying the weekend. I normally camp not too far from Big Trees. Logging road 7N-09. I believe it's just 10 miles or so from Big Trees. Let me know what time you guys will be getting up there and I'll try to join you. Maybe we can meet in Avery?

Any one want to join me for Sat. night? I know if I'm going I'm spending the night!

#114934 - 25/06/03 11:15 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by But I'm Shiffy Too:
I normally camp not too far from Big Trees. Logging road 7N-09. I believe it's just 10 miles or so from Big Trees. Let me know what time you guys will be getting up there and I'll try to join you. Maybe we can meet in Avery?
7N09 is a part of Corral Hollow, I think...depending upon where on it. Or, that's what my map says.

Have you run Corral Hollow? :rolleyes:

#114935 - 25/06/03 03:46 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
sonnyc Offline

Loc: SJ, CA.
Sorry guys... I was so pumped for this trip until this morning.
As a newest member on our team at work... I got picked to be the on-call guy for the 4th of July weekend frown . The new guy got screwed mad [Uh Oh !] .

Now ... if only we can move this to the week after ...hmmmm smile

#114936 - 25/06/03 11:35 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I think my wife and I will be heading up on Friday morning (7/4) to camp and relax somewhere along the river on the Sourgrass trail, so we might bump into you guys on Saturday. We'll probably leave the region no later than 4pm, though, because we need to get home at a reasonable hour. :rolleyes:

#114937 - 26/06/03 08:30 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
XSAL Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
...camp and relax somewhere along the river on the Sourgrass trail...
FYI Dean...

Last time when we were there...it was pretty hot...@ 4,000+ ft. elevation. I think Huey might be able to give you more accurate GPS info on this, but the location where we turned around would be the best place to camp to our knowledge. ...The area is covered with large trees that provide very nice shaded area, so much cooler for the elevation. [Smoking]

#114938 - 26/06/03 09:21 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow that is where I go. 7N11! SO I've been running the Corral Hollow trail for years and didn't even know it.
I know the perfect campsite if anyone wants to join me. Theres no watter, but it's in this clearing tucked behind some trees hidden from the trail. Theres a nice firepit, and we leave pots and pans and stuff for the following trips. It seems everyong using it respects the site. It's not far from the public cabin if anyone knows where that is.

#114939 - 26/06/03 09:56 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
XSAL Offline

Quote:
Wow that is where I go. 7N11! SO I've been running the Corral Hollow trail for years and didn't even know it.
Ummm...I'm not sure if 7N11 is a part of Corral Hollow... I don't see it on my map, and it's not like I've run it all the way through... [Uh Oh !]

The north end of Corral Hollow is VERY close to Bear Valley Resort, though.

Here\'s the map of Corral Hollow from CaliforniaJeeper.com

Ohhhh....I see it now...It looks like you HAVE been running Corral Hollow. :p

#114940 - 26/06/03 04:50 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Tolleyy Offline

Loc: Wheatland, CA
1. Huey
2.danny (tentatively)
3.slamson (tent...depends on which trails due to stock status
4. Tolleyy with kid ( or kids)
04 Titan LE CC BT OR E-locker Hypertech max energy DIY airbox mod PAC-Audio IPOD navigation video interface with night vision back up camera 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers Bilstein 5100's all around with 08 PRO4X springs up front and lovin it!

#114941 - 29/06/03 08:57 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Huey Offline

So I guess this will be a stock friendly trip, Sour Grass and hopefully Corral Hollow (that tree better be gone, anyone got a chain saw???). If all goes well we'll meet Dean in the morning try to explore as much of Sour Grass as possible and then move on to Corral Hollow if it isn't to late. CB channel 16 and FRS 8.

1. Huey
2.danny (tentatively)

BTW, glad you can make it mike, you taking the Pathy or did you find a centerlink?

#114942 - 29/06/03 09:05 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Looks like were out...thought we would be home on the 3rd but decided to stay up in Fort Bragg through the weekend. I'll have to hit this up some other time with the club or que solo.

Have fun guys

#114943 - 30/06/03 11:04 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. Huey
2.danny (tentatively)
5. Shiffy

I'm in! I'm going to spend Fri. night up there so you guys have to let me know where/when to meet you.

My camp will be on the Corral Hallow trail. We usually stay near the end of the trail. At the bottom of the hill where the trail gets much easier. So after we're done with the trail on Sat. you guys can stop at my campsite for a beer. Maybe we can arrange something for dinner if anyone is interested. Nothing quite like a burger cooked over an open flame.

Let me know what you guys think.

Jason

Oh and as far as difficulty goes, I've only come in the Corral Hallow trail once. I normally come in on 7N11 and leave Corral Hallow. So I've come up with my Frontier, but I've gone down it with a stock 86' GMC Jimmy and a stock 95 Pathfinder with no problems. I've also seen it done in a stock 2wd F150. Shouldn't be too difficult but there are a few fun spots. wink

#114944 - 30/06/03 09:58 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Tolleyy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:

BTW, glad you can make it mike, you taking the Pathy or did you find a centerlink?
Nope not taking the Pathy since Gina still doesn't want it scratched up yet ( I'd never do that [Uh Oh !] and I can't find a good cl at the wrecking yard so I have to buy a new one... Hopefully I'll get it on in time for the 5th cause I'm dying for some wheeling... ANY wheeling [Crybaby]

I'll let you know how it goes
04 Titan LE CC BT OR E-locker Hypertech max energy DIY airbox mod PAC-Audio IPOD navigation video interface with night vision back up camera 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers Bilstein 5100's all around with 08 PRO4X springs up front and lovin it!

#114945 - 01/07/03 07:06 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
KaiOtiK Offline

Loc: Mountain View, Ca.
"HERE'S THE GAME PLAN FOR THE 4th OF JULY TRIP"

"TRIP INTINERARY-GENERAL INFO"

The first trail will be Sour Grass off of HWY4 in Big Trees. This is an easy/moderate trail, stock vehicles should easily make it but I'm going to require that factory step-rails and lower mud flaps be removed.

It's recommended that you have rocker protection/sliders, recovery attatchments front and rear, and a recovery strap. The trail is narrow so expect a few minor scratches, but nothing to worry about if you drive carefully.

The second trail will either be Corral Hollow, or the trail Akio pointed out in the post below. This of course depends on who goes on the trip.

For experienced off-roaders, I'd be interested in exploring Bear Valley loop, as far as I can make it, but not with beginners or stock vehicles, so it really depends on who goes.

If enough members attend:
We may be able to break off into 2 separate groups at this point...Moderate to Intermediate group with stock to semi-modded vehicles... & an Advanced experienced group with complete modded vehicles & 3 inch lifts.

CB CHANNEL: 16.....FRS CHANNEL: 8

"MEETING TIMES"

"Friday, Saturday, & Sunday Campers":

For those of us leaving Friday morning, We are meeting at the McDonalds in Pleasanton at 9:00am Friday Morning. I'd like to decide on a camping spot at the McDonalds before we depart.

Then we'll proceed to Big Trees, Sourgrass, & Coral Hollow, and run some other local trails nearby.

After the Friday trail runs, we'll go to our campsite and setup for the night.

We will meet up with the Saturday Crew in Big Trees on Saturday between 10:00am & 10:30am

"Saturday Day Trip Only: Meet Huey"

For those who are only attending on Saturday, the day trip meeting times will be a bit early as I'm hoping to leave for home before dark. Ok, here's the tentative plan;

7:00am - Meet in Pleasanton at the McDonalds
7:30am - (SHARP) We take off
10:30am - Arrive at Big Trees and do some trails

You can meet the group here if it works out better.

We can change the trails around a bit (depending on who goes) but they will all be off of HWY4.

See original post for trip info:
7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)

I'll see you all there... [Wave]

Thanx Everyone,

#114946 - 01/07/03 10:10 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
KaiOtiK Offline

OOPS...Sorry Huey!

I meant to post this on the 4th of July club run post...

Oh Well, This will work too...If you don't mind.

As I'll be meeting up with your group on Saturday.

Everyone who plans to leave Friday morning...Please read my previous post. I'd like to join you...Thanx

Sign me up:
----------------------
1. Huey
2. Danny (tentatively)
3. Slamson (tent...depends on which trails due to stock status
5. Shiffy
6. Andy -aka- KaiOtiK...Departing Friday Morning & Camping thru Sunday laugh
--------------------

Thanx,

#114947 - 01/07/03 10:39 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I have a raft trip down the Sacramento river that I do evey 4th of July. So my friend and I are headed up there a little later. We'll probably get up there between 8-9pm. Do you have a regular camp site? Maybe we can meet you for some campfire talk. If you'd like to try I have a spot I normally use and I could tell you how to get there. It's right off Corral Hollow at the way back just about as far as you can get from the highway or anyone else for that matter.

Oh and I'm planning on staying Saturday night too. Anyone down to do a little shooting? I'm bringing my .22 shocked

#114948 - 01/07/03 10:49 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Huey Offline

Just cleaning things up a bit. If you guys can update your sign-up that will help me know if I need to meet anyone at either location. Please list your name and meeting location for Sat. The McDonalds is at the Santa Rita exit in Pleasanton off 580. And the meeting spot for Sour Grass will be the trail head. To get there (from the bay area or sac) drive up HWY4 past Angels Camp and into Big Trees and then make a right onto Boards Crossing road. The road gets a bit confusing but you basically want to follow the road (and signs pointing to the camping area) for about 5-7 miles till you hit the Sour Grass camp ground. At this point you will go over a bridge (and river) and make the 1st left into the parking lot. This is the location of the trail head.

Sign me up:
----------------------
1. Huey [7:30 @ Pleasanton & 11 @ the Sour Grass trail head]
2. Danny (tentatively)
3. Tolleyy with kid ( or kids)
6. Shiffy
7. Andy -aka- KaiOtiK...Departing Friday Morning & Camping thru Sunday laugh
--------------------

Again CB16 and FRS8, but I have no FRS so :p

#114949 - 02/07/03 02:04 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sign me up:
----------------------
2. Danny (tentatively)
6. Shiffy (meeting up there Fri. night or Sat. morning
7. Andy -aka- KaiOtiK...Departing Friday Morning & Camping thru Sunday
--------------------

So does the road to SourGrass go down a long paved road on the side of a mountain to get to the trailhead? If it does I think that was the first place we used to go before we discovered Corral Hollow. Is there a "Big Trees Realty" on the corner of hwy.4? I think I know where your talking about.

#114950 - 02/07/03 02:20 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Huey Offline

Quote:

So does the road to SourGrass go down a long paved road on the side of a mountain to get to the trailhead? If it does I think that was the first place we used to go before we discovered Corral Hollow. Is there a "Big Trees Realty" on the corner of hwy.4? I think I know where your talking about.
That sounds about right. Just be sure you are on Boards Crossing Road.

#114951 - 03/07/03 07:20 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Tolleyy Offline

So is this a fairly easy trail? I'm not gonna have time to install a new CL on my truck so if it's a pretty easy trail I should be able to make it on saturday.

2. Danny (tentatively)
3. Tolleyy with kid ( trailhead sat. morning)

#114952 - 03/07/03 09:38 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tolleyy:
So is this a fairly easy trail? I'm not gonna have time to install a new CL on my truck so if it's a pretty easy trail I should be able to make it on saturday.

2. Danny (tentatively)
If you can a slightly used X CL with everything installed on it (Idler, pitman, TRE's (ins?) etc...) let me know.

Huey, have you busted off the adjustment knobs on those Ranchos yet? laugh I have to get new ones (knobs), fortunately they broke off set at 5 :rolleyes:

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#114953 - 03/07/03 09:43 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Huey Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tolleyy:
So is this a fairly easy trail?
You will be fine mike, there are by-passes where it gets rocky so you can save your CL. smile

#114954 - 03/07/03 09:48 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Huey Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieX:

Huey, have you busted off the adjustment knobs on those Ranchos yet? laugh I have to get new ones (knobs), fortunately they broke off set at 5 :rolleyes:
Ouch! Mine are still intact, just imagine if you didn't have the skidz, it would have been wayyy worse! eek

BTW, what about this instaed?

It has a lower profile than the knob, but costs more... but hey atleast you can adjust them without getting dirty. laugh

#114955 - 03/07/03 10:41 AM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
MickB Offline

Loc: Grass Valley, CA
Looks like I can make it Saturday.

2. Danny (tentatively)
8. Mick w/kids (trailhead Sat. morning)

#114956 - 03/07/03 12:10 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Dos Equis Offline

Loc: Concord
Hey Guys,Can't make it but I tried looking up some of those trails and found this link: http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CA-4/index.shtml

May be interesting for those like my self who have not been wheeling much and have not been out to HWY 4 trails at all. Looking forward to seeing a report on this one, take some good pics.

For future reference; Have Chainsaw, Will Travel.

#114957 - 03/07/03 01:46 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
slomatt Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Sign me up:
----------------------
2. Danny (tentatively)
--------------------

Boards Crossing Road should the first road you hit in Dorrington, across from the Dorrington General Store. I'm 90% sure that it's the one where the Big Trees Realty office is (should remember, I drove by it last wekeend, doh).

- Matt

#114958 - 03/07/03 03:11 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kaiotik, Where are you planning on camping the first night? I might try to find you guys when I get up there Fri. night.

Jason

#114959 - 03/07/03 08:34 PM Re: 7/5 Day Trip to Sour Grass and (some other trail)
KaiOtiK Offline

Hey Shiffy & XPLORx4,

I'm going to camp along the river at the top of the Sourgrass Trail approximantly 3 to 4 miles in.

If you like, I will meet you at the beginning of the Sourgrass Trail between 4pm & 8pm...Then we can go up Sourgrass Trail together.

Let me know when & where to meet you...I'll be checking the posts later on tonight...Or you can email me at: kaiotik@earthlink.net

We might spot XPLORx4 before we get to our campsight...Went up 2 weeks ago...What a great campsite.

I'll see you there,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal