shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114968 - 30/03/08 04:21 PM Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys,

I know that so far camp WAMP is definitely on. What else can we do this summer? It would be nice to squeeze a trip or two before the camp. Here are some ideas:

- Slick Rock. http://californiajeeper.com/slickroc/review.htm

- Deer Valley.
http://californiajeeper.com/deerval/review.htm

- Pardoe's trail. http://www.norcalttora.com/trails/pardoe.php

- Signal Peak.
http://www.norcalttora.com/trails/signal_peak.php

- Corral Hollow.
http://californiajeeper.com/corralhollow/review.htm

- Strawberry Pass. This on has two rather interesting obstacles. Please see the pics in the link below.
http://www.norcalttora.com/trails/strawberry.php

From the description of the trails it sounds like they will be doable as long as we have recovery equipment and at least one car with a winch... I may be too optimistic, so please let me know if that is the case. As you can see I lifted the links from various off-roading clubs and I have not done anything on that list myself.

If you know some other trails that are rated easy-moderate, feel free to mention them. Huey, Dean -- I know that you guys have a website, do you need help with that?

Cheers,
/v

#114969 - 30/03/08 05:22 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Signal peak is a pretty good trail. You can get lost. There are only a few tricky parts of the trail. Once past those its easy. There is also a few other trails in this area that are decent.
this can be done in a day. This area is also good for snow wheeling.

Pardoes is a fun trip that requires two days. there are a few rocky areas that can be problems.

As long as you have good tires, body armour, rear locker most of the trails are prety easy.
Four cyl guys need gears or you burn your clutch
up.

Kevin

I know the signal peak area and would willing to run that area on a sat.

#114970 - 30/03/08 06:03 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Kevin,

When you say 'body armor' do you mean some skids and sliders. I know that some members have totally stock cars w/o armor and lockers. If Signal Peak is a 5, then I would imagine that Deer Valley and Slick Rock is not something that all of us can do.

Anyway, let's see more responses here. I am pretty much down for any run that is not too far away form SF Bay Area.

Cheers!
/v

#114971 - 30/03/08 06:43 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Deer valley is 32s, skids and sliders. I havent done deer valley because i didnt have gears and 32s till know. Signal peak there was only one hard section that you can be winched over, or in my case was punch it use the arb bumper and tree to keep you going straight. There is a few trails back there that are easy for stockers. I do want to get out and due some runs. Im just limited to fri and sat, and when july comes a round I have to stay close to home as my wife is pregnant. I can cover winch parts easily as I have front and rear winches, Im also locked and also have tcase gears which i hope turn my 32 with ease.
Kevin

#114972 - 30/03/08 08:44 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

as of right now, I do not see myself going into the academy in July so good chance of september or November. So I'm down for deer valley or any of the trails. I could lead, only problem I don't know the trails. by July I should be able to have all the recovery gear minus winch to help out.

#114973 - 30/03/08 09:14 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
slomatt Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
From what I remember Pardos should be passable (without damage) in a stock Xterra as long as the mud flaps and step rails are removed.

For Slick Rock and especially Deer Valley sliders are mandatory if you don't want to damage your door sills. Patrick made it through Deer Valley in his stock height XTerra with full skid plates and 32" tires, but it took a while. With a 2+" lift, 32+" tires, and sliders Deer Valley is doable with an experienced driver, though even with that setup the XTerras sometimes end up needing a rear locker at points.

Here are a bunch of pictures of these trails from past XTerra trips (please ignore the Jeep smile ).

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/jeep_zj

- Matt

#114974 - 30/03/08 09:57 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

pretty much i wouldnt be able to do anything. 2wd =[

but sounds like loads of fun!!

#114975 - 30/03/08 11:04 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the info! I loved the pics from Deer Valley, but it sounds like it is a more advanced trail. I know that we have some folks, including me, who are newbies. Perhaps Deer Valley can be done another time.

Shall we put Signal Peak down?

#114976 - 31/03/08 01:46 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Roxy_96xp:
pretty much i wouldnt be able to do anything. 2wd =[

Don't let it spoil the fun, if u want u can ride shotty wit me, if I go. There are some 2wd trails down by Monterey i could take you on.

#114977 - 31/03/08 09:09 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's sounds great Yasha, when ever you're going to hit up so trails for 2wd let me know!

I know I missed our last meet when you came up (my bad)

#114978 - 31/03/08 03:09 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in for any trails this summer.

Pardoes can be done in close to stock form as Matt said. Deer Vally and Slick Rock would be interesting to say the least, however I have towed a trailer through Deer Vally so how hard could it really be [Freak] ??? :rolleyes: [Geek] :rolleyes:

Another good trail is Barney Riley. I don't have a link to it, but it is a fun trail, great place to camp, and stockish friendly.

As for anyone who wants to try the harder trails, I tend to want to go slow anyway, so I am more then willing to help spot/pull people through. Or if you just want to ride along I always have an extra seat, providing you don't mind riding with my puppy. laugh

Casper
[drink]

#114979 - 31/03/08 03:32 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Casper:
I'm in for any trails this summer.

Pardoes can be done in close to stock form as Matt said. Deer Vally and Slick Rock would be interesting to say the least, however I have towed a trailer through Deer Vally so how hard could it really be [Freak] ??? :rolleyes: [Geek] :rolleyes:

Another good trail is Barney Riley. I don't have a link to it, but it is a fun trail, great place to camp, and stockish friendly.

As for anyone who wants to try the harder trails, I tend to want to go slow anyway, so I am more then willing to help spot/pull people through. Or if you just want to ride along I always have an extra seat, providing you don't mind riding with my puppy. laugh

Casper
[drink]
Sweet, I'll let you know, I'd like to try some harder trails.

#114980 - 31/03/08 04:00 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
slomatt Offline

Here are some pictures of BRT (Barney Riley).
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/brt20040717

I only remember one slightly difficult spot, but from what I hear there is now a bypass.

SourGrass is another relatively easy trail. Oh, and there are some great trails up at Tahoe near Barker Pass. One of my favorite runs in past years has been heading out the "easier" part of the Rubicon Trail from the Tahoe side to the observation point.

Like Casper, I'm in for pretty much any trails this summer if I am free (assuming gas prices don't go up too much higher smile ). With the harder trails we just want to make sure to split the group up a bit so that there are enough experienced spotters to go around.

Oh, and I have to call out Casper on two things:
1. His trailer has larger tires than a lot of Xterras do.
2. By "ride with my puppy" he means be crushed by the small bear that lives in the back of his truck.

- Matt

#114981 - 31/03/08 04:39 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by slomatt:

2. By "ride with my puppy" he means be crushed by the small bear that lives in the back of his truck.

- Matt
Oh, come on. He's just a puppy. :p Besides, I don't think calling him a Bear is right. [LOL] Right now for example he seems to think he is a horse. [Huh?] He has been hanging out with and playing with the clidesdale and paint that live on my property.
[Spit]

Casper
[drink]

#114982 - 31/03/08 07:00 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, this sounds great! Should we throw some dates in? I know that I will be on call one week (including the weekend). Not sure which one yet smile

I say let's do an easier trail first, then a harder one. That way the ones who have less experience can re-fresh their skills. Perhaps we can have a mod day before the hard one as well smile

As for Casper's puppy, it is a good sized Husky that I absolutely adore... Best freaking dogs ever. My uncle has quite a few in Siberia! Does it eat cats, by the way? If so, I may bring some ready to eat food smile

/v

#114983 - 01/04/08 12:21 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by whiterussian:
Well, this sounds great! Should we throw some dates in? I know that I will be on call one week (including the weekend). Not sure which one yet smile

I say let's do an easier trail first, then a harder one. That way the ones who have less experience can re-fresh their skills. Perhaps we can have a mod day before the hard one as well smile

As for Casper's puppy, it is a good sized Husky that I absolutely adore... Best freaking dogs ever. My uncle has quite a few in Siberia! Does it eat cats, by the way? If so, I may bring some ready to eat food smile

/v
OK, my last day of summer classes end July 10th, so I should be moving back after a couple days after that date

#114984 - 01/04/08 08:42 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Here are the dates for trips that are planned already:

July 4-7: Trail system near Dinkey Creek/Shaver Lake

Trail difficulty ranges from easy to insane. Base camp will be 2WD accessible.

July 26: Camp WAMP (weekend 1) (NCCX-sponsored run)
August 2/3: Camp WAMP (weekend 2) (individually optional)
August 9: Camp WAMP (weekend 3) (individually optional)
Details at campwamp.org .

Another option for an easier (stock-friendly) trail run is Niagara Rim
Here's another photo link .

In years past, we have also visited the Feather River , which is about a 5-hour journey from the bay area to the campsite. Here are some more photos.

#114985 - 01/04/08 09:34 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love this map (Dinkey Creek). It sounds like July is going to be busy as is. Should we schedule something for June? It sounds like we have a good selection of trails available. Are there any trails that have bypasses so the advanced guys can take harder routes? That would be perfect.

From the descriptions provided here it sounds like we have:

- Niagara Rim
- Feather River
- Signal Peak
- Barney Riley

Here are some dates:

- June 14th
- June 21st

Thoughts?

#114986 - 01/04/08 09:58 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barney Riley may not be doable until late June early July do to snow. Signal Peak and Pardoes may be the same. I would love to go back to Niagra Rim and the Feather River.

I'm in for Dinky Creek/Shaver Lake. Isn't this the trip we did last year where we stayed at Brewer Lake? eek If so I take it we are not going to stay at that spot again, since I seem to remember it wasn't quite 2wd friendly laugh

Count me in on most every other trip wether it is difficult or not.

Casper
[drink]

#114987 - 01/04/08 10:40 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
slomatt Offline

I'd also vote for a snow trip, those are always fun. But have to wait for ski season to be over. smile

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/eaglelakes20041228

- Matt

#114988 - 01/04/08 12:06 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I have no idea what I am voting for, but let's do:

- Feather River. June 21st.

Then we can squeeze in one snow trip before that for those who are interested.

/v

#114989 - 01/04/08 01:40 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
XPLORx4 Offline

I would recommend visiting the Feather River region when the weather is hot (July-Sep), so that the river water isn't too cold, and you'd actually enjoy taking a dip. Also, due to its distance from the bay area, it's nicer to stay at least 2 nights there to make the drive worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents.

#114990 - 01/04/08 02:27 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, so what's close to us?

#114991 - 01/04/08 07:27 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Yasha:
Quote:
Originally posted by Roxy_96xp:
[b]pretty much i wouldnt be able to do anything. 2wd =[

Don't let it spoil the fun, if u want u can ride shotty wit me, if I go. There are some 2wd trails down by Monterey i could take you on.[/b]
SHOTTY then =]

#114992 - 01/04/08 08:46 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Google shows that Signal Peak is pretty close to every part of the Bay Area in terms of being easily accessible from the North and the South. That or Niagara Rim.

Casper, Matt -- what say you? It appears that you are up for this. How many people will be willing to go on a trip in July. I know that we have 2 scheduled already...

C'ya,
/v

#114993 - 02/04/08 09:11 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
XPLORx4 Offline

I could probably try to get out for a weekend trip on June 14-15. I'm already booked for June 28-29.

I started a google calendar for NCCX trips.

Click here .

#114994 - 02/04/08 09:42 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Google calendar is a great idea! Let's put Niagara Rim for 14/15. I read the description online and it said a locker or good articulation. I hope it is stock locker friendly smile I don't really trust that Dana44 Variant that Nissan gave new Xterra ORs.

#114995 - 02/04/08 12:06 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pencil me in for Camp WAMP

#114996 - 02/04/08 08:28 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Keep the ideas coming guys! I had no idea this thread was going... smile

#114997 - 02/04/08 10:08 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
slomatt Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
Keep the ideas coming guys! I had no idea this thread was going... smile
Uhh, I told you about it yesterday. smile

- Matt

#114998 - 02/04/08 10:53 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Quote:
Quote:
[b]Keep the ideas coming guys! I had no idea this thread was going... smile

- Matt[/b]
That will be all from you J**P owners! Don't you have a leak to fix or something?? :p

#114999 - 03/04/08 08:24 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Keep the ideas coming guys! I had no idea this thread was going... smile

- Matt[/b]
That will be all from you J**P owners! Don't you have a leak to fix or something?? :p [/b]
[LOL] [Huh?] [LOL] Oh, thats cold, funny but cold.

Casper

#115000 - 03/04/08 12:01 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, so let's assume that June 14/15 is up for Niagara Rim. Shall we do something in August? This will be my last trip as a free (single) man smile

/v

#115001 - 03/04/08 02:52 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by whiterussian:
Okay, so let's assume that June 14/15 is up for Niagara Rim. Shall we do something in August? This will be my last trip as a free (single) man smile

/v
I'm in!

#115002 - 03/04/08 06:28 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
XPLORx4 Offline

How about August 16-17? Deer Valley? Or is that too difficult?

#115003 - 03/04/08 06:43 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dean,

Does Deer Valley have any by passes that less equipped cars can take? Also, this will probably require a mod day for some of us smile Personally, I don't mind trying harder stuff as long as a car is well equipped.

/v

#115004 - 03/04/08 08:20 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
XPLORx4 Offline

Deer Valley doesn't really have any bypasses, although the first portion of the trail is definitely doable by lesser-equipped vehicles. Nevertheless, sliders are recommended.

#115005 - 04/04/08 10:58 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay... Let's put in Deer Valley. I saw a bunch of videos on YouTube and it sounds like we are going to have fun wheeling or having fun telling stories about how things broke. I will have either sliders or a dedicated wheeling rig by that time.

#115006 - 04/04/08 02:33 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
XPLORx4 Offline

Deer Valley tentatively set for August 16-17.

#115007 - 04/04/08 06:51 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm currently free July 4th weekend. Anyone have anything planned for that weekend? smile

Sorry, late to the party as always. Surprisingly, for a small company like us, I don't run into Dean much. Is that a good thing?

So, I think I'm free July 4th, I would like to join up for that July 4th trip.

#115008 - 04/04/08 07:18 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to high jack... [Finger] ! Greenhorn 4/12! [drink] [drink] [drink]

#115009 - 04/04/08 08:25 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the calendar looks good now smile

#115010 - 04/04/08 09:19 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, count me in for most of these trips. Since most start on a Saturday, and I only work four days a week during the summer I will do what I usually do and head in on Friday to get the "good" camp spot. Anyone is welcome to join me. Also I noticed that nothing is planned for May. Except for the week of goneMoab I am open for a trip then as well. Any ideas?

Plus I would love to do a trip up Squaw Ridge (Pardoes) this year. Maybe August, and make it three day if possible. What do ya'll think?

Casper

[drink]

#115011 - 05/04/08 09:39 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
XPLORx4 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zoojunkie:
I'm currently free July 4th weekend. Anyone have anything planned for that weekend? smile

Sorry, late to the party as always. Surprisingly, for a small company like us, I don't run into Dean much. Is that a good thing?

So, I think I'm free July 4th, I would like to join up for that July 4th trip.
Matt, go to Google Calendar and enter "NCCX" in the search field. We're planning to run trails near Shaver Lake during the Independence Day weekend. However, there aren't any formal details set at this time.

#115012 - 05/04/08 12:33 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey,

Anyway we can put Deer Valley the weekend before 8/16. I just realized that I have to wedding invitations for the same day smile

/v

#115013 - 05/04/08 09:55 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Dean. What's the rating for Shaver Lake? My truck is pretty STOCK!

#115014 - 11/04/08 08:58 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
I'm more than ready for a trip somewhere.....

#115015 - 11/04/08 08:17 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by olebiker:
I'm more than ready for a trip somewhere.....
Gary, I though you were lost at sea. Good to here from you. How have things been?

Casper

:p

#115016 - 12/04/08 06:04 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
XPLORx4 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zoojunkie:
Thanks Dean. What's the rating for Shaver Lake? My truck is pretty STOCK!
The trails in that region have a variety of ratings from easy to difficult.

#115017 - 14/04/08 05:10 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
We just moved into your "neck of the woods" now that we live in Monterey. Looking forward to seeing some of the wheeling that central and northern California have to offer.

#115018 - 15/04/08 03:06 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome to Nor Cal Snoopy!

If anyone is looking to go on a run before the summer events are underway - ED4 is having a Hollister OHV run. Details can be found at

www.espritdefour.com

Racer Xterra

#115019 - 15/04/08 06:52 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's up? How's that clutch doing, is it the same one? laugh
Been working on the truck since are last trip. That noise I kept saying was my CV axle was my transfercase chain slipping [Freak] .

#115020 - 15/04/08 07:39 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally posted by marty2:
What's up? How's that clutch doing, is it the same one? laugh
Yep, same clutch. Thanks again for leading us through the 'Con!

#115021 - 16/04/08 08:42 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

planing on it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Racer Xterra:
Welcome to Nor Cal Snoopy!

If anyone is looking to go on a run before the summer events are underway - ED4 is having a Hollister OHV run. Details can be found at

www.espritdefour.com

Racer Xterra

#115022 - 24/04/08 11:32 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
I could probably try to get out for a weekend trip on June 14-15. I'm already booked for June 28-29.

I started a google calendar for NCCX trips.

Click here .
Huy,

It's good to put this as a sticky [ThumbsUp]

#115023 - 22/05/08 06:12 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
All the passes are open....Let's go!

#115024 - 25/05/08 07:56 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by olebiker:
All the passes are open....Let's go!
Still in Moab. I will be heading back tomorrow (maybe). After that I will be resting for a few and working on the truck. I've got some loud noises coming from the front end, it may be time to scrap the front suspension. We will see.

Casper

[drink]

#115025 - 25/05/08 09:00 PM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's official I will be back in town for good July 15th. SO excited. I'll be running backway to Crown King, then Sedona, going through Las Vegas, Death Valley, and finally back in the Bay. me and my friend are looking to do some camping.

I'm game anytime after that the 15th,

#115026 - 29/05/08 10:23 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Here are the dates for trips that are planned already:

In years past, we have also visited the Feather River , which is about a 5-hour journey from the bay area to the campsite. Here are some more photos.
Now why the heck did they move the weekends up one??? Now we can't go the first weekend - we have to attend a wedding on Saturday evening. frown But, we will be able to do Aug 2-3 & 9. smile

#115027 - 29/05/08 10:39 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Christi:
Quote:
[b]Here are the dates for trips that are planned already:

Now why the heck did they move the weekends up one??? Now we can't go the first weekend - we have to attend a wedding on Saturday evening. frown But, we will be able to do Aug 2-3 & 9. smile [/b]
If you do August 2,3 I'll join. I'd like to run that trail.

#115028 - 29/05/08 10:50 AM Re: Ideas for this summer
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah we had planned on the first 3 weekends for CampWamp this year. So we will do 2-3 for sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal