shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115209 - 07/06/05 01:19 PM 60,000 Mile services help?
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
OK I am about to trip over the 60,000 mile mark....and have decided I am going to have my local dealership do the Nissan 60,000 mile service (I have a 30% off coupon so it should make it quite a bit more affordable).

Since I have this coupon I wanted to see what your opinions are on having these other services done at 60,000 mile:

1. Fuel Injection service
2. Repack the bearings
3. Change the rear diff fluid
4. Change the transfer case fluid

(I just changed my ATF with synthetic so that is good)

Anything else I am missing? Or am I asking for to much?

I cant remember does the Xterra have a timing belt or chain? I think its a chain....but even so do you have to change that and at so what mileage?

I like to do as much preventive maintenance as I can so it doesn't break down when I am out on the trail or pulling my trailer. Thanks.....and yes I already suspect this will cost me a small fortune.....just trying to slip as much work as I NEED to do under my 30% off coupon.

#115210 - 07/06/05 02:46 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Ryan, if you have some basic tools you can do all of the above at home and save yourself quite a bit of cash. Everything you need to for your 60k service is detailed in your owners manual, but you covered just about everything in your post.

Here's what I would add to your list:
-change the front diff fluid
-fuel filter
-check your cap and rotor (plugs should be good till 100k)
-check the brakes
-check all hoses
-check all belts
-flush the radiator

About the timing belt...you should be good to go on that till 100k

Also, if you do it yourself I would change as much as you can over to synthetic.

#115211 - 07/06/05 02:49 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Huey Offline

One last note.

If you do have the Stealership do the work, be sure to read the owners manual to see what indeed needs checking and replacing so you don't get riped off on services you don't need (ie timing belt).

#115212 - 07/06/05 02:53 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
OK I am about to trip over the 60,000 mile mark....and have decided I am going to have my local dealership do the Nissan 60,000 mile service (I have a 30% off coupon so it should make it quite a bit more affordable)

Before you commit to anything, find out exactly what work will be done for this service. Call them to ask what's involved before bringing the truck in. More than likely, 90% of it will be stuff like "Check this, check that" and they'll change the oil and oil filter and maybe the air filter, but probably not much else, and charge you $500.

The other stuff you want done will be EXTRA, over and above the cost of the "60K" service.
1. Fuel Injection service- guessing $120 or more. (IMO, not necessary)
2. Repack the bearings- guessing $150 or more. (an easy, but time-consuming and messy job that can be done in about 1/2 day by many NCCX members, myself included.)
3. Change the rear diff fluid- guessing $50 or more. Good idea. If the drain/fill plugs are buggered from off-roading it's worth it to let someone else do the work.
4. Change the transfer case fluid- guessing $50 or more. Good idea, but if you've already changed your ATF by yourself, you can do this too.

(I just changed my ATF with synthetic so that is good) The 60K service MAY include changing the ATF. If you do the 60K, make sure to EXCLUDE this item, or they will drain your synthetic, put in regular ATF, and charge you for it.

I cant remember does the Xterra have a timing belt or chain? Timing BELT. 105000-mile change interval.

Yes I already suspect this will cost me a small fortune.....just trying to slip as much work as I NEED to do under my 30% off coupon.

If you do opt to have all that work done by the dealer, expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-$900. They will likely also call you part-way through the work with stuff like "We noticed that your blinker fluid is low and your headlamps are improperly aimed. Since we've got your truck already, would you like us to take care of those for you? It would only cost you an extra $200."

Just FYI, independent auto repair establishments can do the same type of work, often for much less.

#115213 - 07/06/05 04:06 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
slamson00 Offline

Wow you guys make some excellent points. To be honest with you I would try all this stuff myself except I don't have the tools to make it happen. I have some basic know how but not sure if I have enough to tackle things like repacking the bearings.............changing the spark plugs...changing the diff/transfer case fluid (don't have the right tools for that)? I do have a Haynes manual at home so maybe I will read through it tonight and see if I want to get into this myself. Changing the air filter is not a problem since I have the FIPK.....and I have heard that changing the fuel filter is an easy thing to do.

Your right I think the dealership charges $380 for their 60,000 service. There is another local shop I know of that will do 60000 factory service intervals for cheaper I think I will check them on the way home. Nice thing is if I do decide to do this myself......which I probably should I could learn alot in the process.....I can do it over a few days since the X is not my daily driver and I could leave it on jacks for a few days while I knock things off the list.

How tough is changing out the oil in both diffs and transfer case? I imagine the hard part is just getting to it?

Of course....I could always try to bribe some of you with the know how and tools to help me finish off what I need help with to get this 60,000 mile mark done? If I were to provide the parts and fluids and a majority of the elbow grease......and you provided the tools and know how and some assistant elbow grease.....I could see a gift certificate making it into your hands to the restuarant or store of your choice? Also pizza delivery would be on me for that day. laugh I would be looking at doing things like packing the bearings.......drain and replace both diff fluids.....drain and replace transfer case. Could we get all that done in a day it seems like ALOT.

Anyway....let me know if anyone is interested....may help me decide to do all this on my own.

Thanks

#115214 - 07/06/05 04:26 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
XPLORx4 Offline

If you can put your truck on jacks (or it's tall enough to crawl under without) you only need a 1/2" square drive/ratchet to loosen the t-case and diff plugs.

To refill the cases, you'll need a pump of sorts to get the fluid from the bottle up into the case. I've seen devices like this at auto parts stores for pretty cheap. You can also adapt a hand-soap dispenser pump if you're really cheap.

When changing driveline fluids, always remove the FILL plug before the drain plug. This ensures that after you drain the fluid, you will be able to refill it!

You can either pay someone to do this work or do it yourself for less, and still have a 1/2" drive for your tool stash!

When repacking the bearings, it's helpful to have the guidance of someone who's done it before. The only special tool needed is a bearing repacker, essentially two cones that collapse around the bearing, and a threaded shaft with a grease fitting. You'll also need some new seals that cost a few bucks each.

#115215 - 07/06/05 04:30 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
XPLORx4 Offline

Quote:
Posted by slamson00:
Of course....I could always try to bribe some of you with the know how and tools to help me finish off what I need help with to get this 60,000 mile mark done? If I were to provide the parts and fluids and a majority of the elbow grease......and you provided the tools and know how and some assistant elbow grease...
If you're willing to make the trek down to San Jose with all your parts and fluids, I'm pretty sure we could collect a handful of folks to help you wrench on your rig at my place. I've got the space and the equipment:

#115216 - 07/06/05 05:34 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since i'm out of warranty and will be doing the same service to my truck so i'm willing to help and learn. That's if you'll be coming down to Dean's place.

#115217 - 07/06/05 06:00 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ryan, let me know what all you bought and the price I might just give you a hand if you could help me alittle later...

#115218 - 08/06/05 01:04 AM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
slamson00 Offline

Thanks guys for the offers of help....I think I may have to take you guys up on it. Here is what the "stealership" quoted me this afternoon on the way home for the following work:

1. 60,000 mile service = $460 .... this includes MANY visuals....changing the oil and oil filter...replacing fuel filter....changing the coolant.....repacking the bearings (I did not know that) ...adjusting timing if need be....adjusting parking brake....changing the spark plugs....add MOC oil treatment....add MOC fuel system treatment.....etc....bunch of other minor stuff

2. Change diff oil front and rear = $120

3. Change transfer case oil = $140

Now they did tell me the more I do as part of the 60,000 mile service the more it becomes cheaper....but wow I almost fainted when they told me $460. So add all that up and we are talking $720 worth of work without my discount.!!! Also plan on checking with local independents tomorrow to see what they charge for comparable 60000 service.

So needless to say I will be pulling out my Haynes manual tomorrow to see what I can knock off the list.

Wow $720???
frown

#115219 - 08/06/05 08:41 AM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd be willing to swing by and help if you come to San jose. I haven't wrenched on the X yet but I've been working on cars since I was a kid.

#115220 - 08/06/05 09:12 AM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
slamson00 Offline

THanks again for the offer to help. I have my Haynes manual here today at work so I am gonna see what I can do myself. I really would like to take advantage of Deans offer to use his lift....but not sure I can get down to San Jose a whole day for that. We will have to see.

I will keep you guys updated as what I decide to do so if you would like to show up to help and or just help me figure some stuff out together it will be much appreciated!

#115221 - 08/06/05 10:00 AM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Huey Offline

Ryan, my garage is always open to you and anyone else in the club (it could save you 45 min each way). I don't have a fancy lift like Dean wink , but I do have all the tools needed for the service.

#115222 - 08/06/05 10:09 AM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
XPLORx4 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by slamson00:
yes I already suspect this will cost me a small fortune

but wow I almost fainted when they told me $460....
Wow $720???
frown
Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-$900.
I guess you were thinking that "small fortune" was an exaggeration... smile

1. 60,000 mile service = $460 .... this includes MANY visuals You got 2 eyes just like they do. Why pay for this?
....changing the oil and oil filter.. Easy DIY, or gasp Jiffy Lube for 30 bucks
.replacing fuel filter.. Easy DIY
..changing the coolant.. Might prefer to have a shop do this one if the price is reasonable. Disposing of coolant properly can be a hassle. Get some local quotes.
...repacking the bearings Couple hours of work; most of us know how to do this, and it could be done in your driveway with jackstands.
...adjusting timing if need be Key words: if need be It won't be needed.
....adjusting parking brake. Uh, the parking brake is self-adjusting. Whatever. Might as well pay them to adjust the driver's seat, too.
...changing the spark plugs Pretty easy DIY, except for plug #6, which requires a bit of finessing, but otherwise no problem.
....add MOC oil treatment. Gimmick. If you keep up with regular oil changes or run synthetic oil, you don't need it
.add MOC fuel system treatment.. Go buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner from Pep Boys for $3.99 and dump it in with your next fillup.
...etc....bunch of other minor stuff Yeah, like "check windshield for bugs, etc. wink

Don't have the dealer do any of the work. Get quotes from local service centers for doing your diffs. $120 (hopefully less elsewhere) actually ain't bad for a couple of hours of work, especially if your diff plugs are on really tight or as I mentioned earlier, they're buggered from hitting rocks.

You can sometimes also bring in synthetic fluid to the shop for them to install instead of their standard dino fluid.

The t-case is really easy to do. $140 is way too much. Would probably take just a 1/2-hour.

Keep us informed about what you decide! [ThumbsUp]

#115223 - 08/06/05 10:49 AM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
slamson00 Offline

No you guys are right....been reading the Haynes manual on break here and I think this may actually be a possibility for me to do mostly all of this work.

I may have them do the basic oil and filter change cause I get it for free since I bought the X at that dealership.....but like Dean said maybe they can flush and refil the coolant system for me as well.

Other then that once I can amass all the filters and fluids I think i can do the rest. My Haynes manual even walks you through the visuals on what to look for.

I am going to make a list tonight on the tools and parts and fluids I need. Thanks Huey if you are 45 mins closer maybe I will take you up on that offer if you are available when I try and do this. Stay tuned I will try and post my list tomorrow of what tools/parts/fluids I need.

#115224 - 08/06/05 11:39 AM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
slamson00 Offline

WOW! Check this out....someone did my homework for me!

See what you think....this is for 30K but 60K is practically the same except for spark plugs and a few other minor things:

http://xterra101.com/30kservice.htm

#115225 - 08/06/05 11:55 AM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Huey Offline

Quote:
WOW! Check this out....someone did my homework for me!

See what you think....this is for 30K but 60K is practically the same except for spark plugs and a few other minor things:

http://xterra101.com/30kservice.htm
That looks about correct (I would still double check with the owner's manual).

BTW, I have a pump to pump oil into the t-case and difs and all the tools need to grease stuff and repack bearings. I would just have a shop do the radiator flush (like dean said, it's a pain to recycle that stuff). Also I'd skip the plugs (#6 is a pain) and timing stuff unless your X is running rough.

#115226 - 08/06/05 02:12 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
slamson00 Offline

Huey,

If I were to come down to you (since you seem to be the closest) would you be able to help me get synthetic into both diffs and transfer case? That is all I think I will need help with. I can save about $260 that way.

Other wise I will knock all the other smaller stuff off the list up here and let Nissan finish the rest....should knock a big chunk off that $460 price they quoted me.

Just let me know when is a good weekend for you......or actually PM me we can work it out that way. I am guessing since you have the right tools doing those fluid swaps wont take more then a morning? Thanks everyone for the advise

#115227 - 08/06/05 02:33 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Maybe I'll come by to Huey's, and install a grease fitting on Calmini idler arm, too. laugh

#115228 - 08/06/05 02:40 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
[b]....adjusting parking brake.
Uh, the parking brake is self-adjusting. Whatever. Might as well pay them to adjust the driver's seat, too.[/b]
I think it might need some adjustment... Parking brake uses a wire cable. Over time, I'm sure it gets stretched. If it did get stretched a lot, it might not do its job even if it's pulled all the way out.

I use my parking brake every time I put it in the Park. I'm sure it can be adjusted some by now, but I'm just plain lazy! laugh

#115229 - 08/06/05 04:17 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Tolleyy Offline

Loc: Wheatland, CA
Quote:
[QB]this includes MANY visuals You got 2 eyes just like they do. Why pay for this?QB]
But Dean, you're forgeting what that inspection will get you... more money for the shop and the tech when they find more stuff wrong with the vehicle. That's why we do multi-point inspections for free at our shop laugh

It's very easy to do most of this stuff and looks like you have lots of help here...save you're $$ for some upgrades :p
04 Titan LE CC BT OR E-locker Hypertech max energy DIY airbox mod PAC-Audio IPOD navigation video interface with night vision back up camera 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers Bilstein 5100's all around with 08 PRO4X springs up front and lovin it!

#115230 - 08/06/05 05:18 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Ryan, I could come by and help if you need it, if you decide to stay locally.. Hell it doesn't matter, if everyone wants to do a Mod day i'm sure we could all help. plus get some work done ourselves at one of those fancy bay area garages I keep hearing about..

#115231 - 08/06/05 05:36 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
XPLORx4 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tolleyy:
That's why we do multi-point inspections for free at our shop
Yeah, it's very generous of shops to fully inspect all systems for free for me, so all I have to do is go home and deal with the problems on my own dime. laugh

Most shops don't count on their customers being DIY'ers. wink

#115232 - 09/06/05 03:49 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
slamson00 Offline

"One last note. If you can get Royal Purple diff oil for less than $6/quart go for it. Otherwise we can make a quick trip to the place near my house to get it (just note that they only keep in stock the 75-90w)."

Huey (tried your PM but it says its full),

You said your local shop only carries 75-90W? Is that ok for the X? I see that recommended is 80W-90 for the diff? Should I stick with that?

Thanks

#115233 - 09/06/05 04:27 PM Re: 60,000 Mile services help?
Huey Offline

Quote:
"One last note. If you can get Royal Purple diff oil for less than $6/quart go for it. Otherwise we can make a quick trip to the place near my house to get it (just note that they only keep in stock the 75-90w)."

Huey (tried your PM but it says its full),

You said your local shop only carries 75-90W? Is that ok for the X? I see that recommended is 80W-90 for the diff? Should I stick with that?

Thanks
I've been using the 75-90 for quite some time now without issue. It's a hair lighter in weight, but again I haven't had any issue with it.

It was kinda hard to find 80-90w gear oil.

BTW, I'm going to clean out my PM box now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal