shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115301 - 16/06/03 11:14 AM WTB: bike rack?
Jeebus Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, Ca. USA
Hey all, long lost Jeebus here. I want to get a bicycle rack for 2 mt. bikes and I was wondering what y'all think is the best.

My first thought is for a hitch-mounted one instead of roof-mounted because I am not really fond of lifting bikes that high. Plus, I think it looks lame with bikes on the roof.

I am sure it's more convenient to have them on the roof as opposed to on the hitch and blocking access to the tailgate, but unless persuaded that's what I'm thinkin'. I'm a motorcyclist, it must be low-center-of-gravity thing laugh

I'm gonna start looking around for deals. Thanks for any advice peeps.

#115302 - 16/06/03 11:44 AM Re: WTB: bike rack?
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Dude, you're like 6' 10"! Reach up and put 'em on the roof! wink

Depending on how much you want to spend..., I'd go with a hitch-mounted one that swings out so the gate can be opened while the bikes are still on the rack. And it's easily removeable when not in use.

But if you're worried about them being swiped (or parts of them), put them inside...assuming you're not hauling little one(s) around though.

Tough call...you know me and my racks though. wink

#115303 - 16/06/03 12:00 PM Re: WTB: bike rack?
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I have experience with all three. I am 5'7" and I am not too fond of putting bikes on the roof, but I will if I need to.

My 1st preference is to put them inside with my "custom made" yakima variant interior rack.

My second choice is on the roof.

My third (and last choice) is on the hitch in the rear.

I always felt that with the bikes on the rear, I had to change my driving habits more cause the bikes would swing and bang each other as well as bang my back bumper from time to time. With the bikes on the roof or on my interior rack, they were solid and never moved, even at 70+ mph with a cross wind.

I suppose it depends on the type of hitch rack. The one that I have (Thule brand) allows the bikes to swing slightly. If you get a higher end model, there may be measures to keep the bikes from moving as much as mines.

I am also scared that I will get rear ended with the bikes back there. The bikes slightly block my brake lights, and I don't always trust the people who drive behind me.

#115304 - 16/06/03 01:09 PM Re: WTB: bike rack?
BlueXU Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Dean (XplorX4) has a good trailer hitch rack. It has some kind of restraint to keep the rack from moving around and it holds on to the bikes like the roof rack systems do. Also it folds down for access to the back hatch. Ask him what it is 'cause I only got a glimpse of it.

#115305 - 16/06/03 10:12 PM Re: WTB: bike rack?
dp21499 Offline

Loc: San Jose California
I got a 2 bike hitch rack from KRAGEN just last month for $100 sale price, same one the net are around $200 check it out. One to thing to consider though is how dirty the bike can get after a ride so if it's ok to you to put them inside then go for it. Here's the picture of the rack...
http://www.pbase.com/image/17756306

Very secure so far traveled 70+ mph for long distance and no glitch yet.

#115306 - 16/06/03 11:19 PM Re: WTB: bike rack?
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I've used fork-mounted roof racks, strap-on hatchback trunk racks, and 3 different hitch racks.

I had a bad experience with a fork-mounted roof rack and I've never used one since. Silly me, I forgot the bikes were on the roof and I drove into a carport. I cried when I saw both bikes, and the rack on the trunk in my rearview mirror. The bikes were OK, but the rack and the roof of my car, well... let's just say after that, I bought a hitch rack.

Hitch racks that allow the bikes to swing just plain suck. My previous car's bumper is a testament to that. Also, if you carry a bike with a small frame, a non-horizontal top tube, or is a wacky full suspension frame design, forget using the conventional hitch racks that clamp onto the top tube. Again, one hitch rack (of this style) put one of the bike's tires too close to the ground, and directly in line with the tailpipe of my car. Not only did I melt the tire, but upon driving out of a gas station parking lot, the low tire hit the ground and bent the rim.

So, as you can see, I've had somewhat poor luck with bike racks. Nevertheless, even without my misfortune, I didn't like having to remove the front wheel to put the bike on the rack. (What do you do with that yucky, dirty, muddy front tire?) And the last thing you want to do after a long bike ride is have to lift it onto the roof, especially on a vehicle as tall as the Xterra!

The current 2-bike rack I have is an older model of the ones that are currently manufactured by SportWorks . Their racks are a little pricier than most, but loading and unloading the bikes is a snap. It's somewhat similar in design to the one featured on the photo link above. Call or visit some local bike shops to see one in person and get an idea of how it works. The main disadvantage of my rack is that when the bikes are installed, you can't open the liftgate. When the bikes are not installed, the rack folds up, requiring you to fold it down to access the liftgate. On the other hand, the bikes are so easy to remove, it may not prove to be that big a hassle.

PS- Oh yeah, don't even think about doing any serious off-roading if you've got a hitch-mounted bike rack. Your departure angle drops to less than 20 degrees.

#115307 - 18/06/03 08:44 AM Re: WTB: bike rack?
Jeebus Offline

Hey thanks for the detailed replies guys (except you John, 6'10", PFFT [Finger] laugh )

I think I am going to look around for a hitch rack. Any liftgate inconvenience will be offset by the fact that I probably won't be using it that much. I have to buy a bike for my wife first! Anyone have a woman's mtn bike for sale?

#115308 - 18/06/03 09:43 AM Re: WTB: bike rack?
johnnyx Offline
J

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeebus:
Hey thanks for the detailed replies guys (except you John, 6'10", PFFT [Finger] laugh )

Anyone have a woman's mtn bike for sale?
Oh, yeah, no problem. Glad I could help with the rack. wink

As for the bike... My wife rode hers last...let's see...Moab 2001? Yep. :rolleyes:

But I think your Mrs is quite a bit taller than my Mrs.
The bike is sitting in her sister's garage in San Jose and is a GT "Aggressor" w/ front shocks (non-adjustable) made for someone in the 5' 3" range, so it might be too small. Just a thought... Let me know if you want more info though.

OH, it's been ridden about 5 times. [Huh?]

(Edit: Can't spell today)

#115309 - 18/06/03 09:51 AM Re: WTB: bike rack?
KJ_dragon Offline

I got a friend who is selling her Specialized Hard Rock. She had used it maybe..... 20 times before she decided that biking was not for her. Mostly all "on-road" miles.

She is of the 5'4" variety.

Let me know, and I can get you in contact with her.

The location is in San Lorenzo, CA. (near Hayward)

#115310 - 18/06/03 04:44 PM Re: WTB: bike rack?
Jeebus Offline

John, my Mrs is about 5'7" I guess. Maybe we can go have a look. What will she want for it?

Dragon, get me some contact info and we'll give her a ring. email me dschmidt@gearboxinternational.com

#115311 - 19/06/03 10:29 AM Re: WTB: bike rack?
KJ_dragon Offline

I will check with my friend, and get back to you.

#115312 - 19/06/03 11:04 AM Re: WTB: bike rack?
johnnyx Offline
J

I dunno how much, really. I think new it was only $300ish, but I'll find out. I suppose I'd better ask her if she wants me to get rid of it first too, eh? laugh

She'll be back home (AZ home) tomorrow - she's in San Jose right now for work. But we'll be right back there at the end of this month and first week of July.

I'll find out more about the bike too. It's in Almaden Valley right now.

#115313 - 19/06/03 11:22 AM Re: WTB: bike rack?
Jeebus Offline

Thanks again guys laugh

#115314 - 19/06/03 05:55 PM Re: WTB: bike rack?
KJ_dragon Offline

My friend actually has two bikes for sale. Matching bikes in fact.

Trek 4300 2 bikes (16.5" and 18.5") blue & silver.

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/4300.jsp

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2002_Hardtail/product_85756.shtml

I gave her your email address, so they may be contacting you shortly.

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal