shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118756 - 16/01/04 01:59 PM In the area....
Western Brewer Offline

Loc: Rochester, MN
In the area and just thought I would say "hello". I've seen a few X's on in my travels, but since I'm not in mine I didn't figure anyone would even consider waving back.

Nice neck of the woods you have over here! It's my first trip and chances are I'll be back again soon. So if you see WY plates between Salem and Portland [Wave] .

#118757 - 18/01/04 09:16 PM Re: In the area....
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Well if you stopped in Tacoma I would buy you a beer! smile

-Rick

#118758 - 20/01/04 06:43 AM Re: In the area....
Western Brewer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
Well if you stopped in Tacoma I would buy you a beer! smile
Maybe next time I come out I'll take you up on that, thanks! Who knows, maybe I can relocate and we can share several beers. smile

Matt

#118759 - 04/02/04 02:06 PM Re: In the area....
Western Brewer Offline

Well, I'll be back again to visit the beautiful PNW again in a week or so!!! I'm wondering if there is anything you recommend I check out while I'm in the area (again Portland to Salem region - Upper Willamette Valley or within about 100 miles). Any "must see" attactions?

I will be trying to get up near Mt. Jefferson and the Bend area too, if I have time. Also, I might be trying to relocate to the Upper Willamette area in a few months (still not sure yet). Any advice you can offer?

Thanks! And Rick, thanks for the offer. I'd love to have a beer - but I probably won't get North of Portland on this trip. Maybe in a few months... smile

Matt

#118760 - 04/02/04 03:15 PM Re: In the area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Coast, man great rocks cliffs and bluffs and the Sand Dunes are legend in my area! great logging roads and state forest! I Live about 140 miles southwest of Salem, Coos Bay, North Bend OR!

#118761 - 04/02/04 07:07 PM Re: In the area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're gonna be in Bend, you might want to check out the High Desert Museum. I don't know if it's open this time of year, but I thought it was great. They have all kinds of info and history about the area, and settling in Oregon. They also have a 100% authentic, operational steam engine powered sawmill. Lava caves are neat too, but I doubt they are open this time of year. *Edit* Just remembered hearing something about some community winter something-or-other festival in Bend some weekend really soon. If crowds and the like aren't your thing, you may want to check it out so that you aren't over there at the same time. Wish I had more info for you, but my brain is oatmeal at the moment....I really need to go to bed.....

If you're seriously considering relocating to Oregon, which I think is a great state smile , there are a couple things to keep in mind.

First, try to avoid living in Multnomah county if you can. They just implemented a county income tax. The only one in Oregon, to the tune of about $900 a year for an average income of $41,000 if I remember correctly.

Additionally, the housing prices in Portland, and the surrounding areas (Beaverton, Tigard, Gresham, etc) are high when compared to the rest of the state. You'll also have one helluva commute. Rush hour traffic can turn an 8 mile trip into an hour long excursion.

Overall, I think Oregon is one of the best states in the Pacific Northwest. Mild climate, great hunting opps, superior fishing (whether it's fresh or saltwater), world class skiing and snowboarding. Would take an awful lot to get me to move out of Oregon.

Where are you thinking about moving to? Is this a work related transfer, or are you just pulling up stakes to start somewhere new?

Tony

#118762 - 05/02/04 07:28 AM Re: In the area....
Western Brewer Offline

Thanks guys! I made a brief trip to the coast on my last trip, so I might have to pass this time (as I want to check out the Cascades a bit more and try to get to Bend if possible).

Tony, thanks for the heads-up on the Portland area. I figured as much with Beaverton and Hillsboro as they seem to have a lot of the "high tech" industry companies there. My reasons for moving are a bit of both personal and career motivations. My girlfriend just moved out there and really loves the area (who can blame her after living in MN for 2 years) laugh . That, and I'll be finishing up my MBA in the next few weeks and I'd really like to use it as a springboard for my career. I'm exploring internal opportunities in the Portland area, but I'm open to anything that comes up. Of course, there are a variety of other reasons that I'd love to be in Oregon as well (mountains, ocean, hiking, climbing, skiing, BEER!, friendly people....)

Anyway, thanks for the input guys!

Matt

#118763 - 05/02/04 11:34 AM Re: In the area....
Roxy's X Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
If you do look into moving out here, if you look at the Portland area, check out Vancouver, WA. The housing is a lot cheaper then in Portland and you don't have that wonderful Multnomah County tax. I work in Gresham and a lot of the people I work with have bought houses in Vancouver the last couple years.

Dusti

#118764 - 05/02/04 07:57 PM Re: In the area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aye, Vancouver housing prices are more reasonable, and you may escape the Multnomah county tax, but if you live in WA and work in Oregon, you still have to pay Oregon income tax and you get no access to the service (ie social svcs, voting rights in Oregon, etc.). Just moving across the river won't shield you from all of the Portland metro area's problems, but it will save you some moolah in housing costs.

If you want to work in the Portland area, and don't mind 30-45 minute drives, Wilsonville is right off the 1-5 corridor, about 30ish minutes south of Portland (depending on how heavy your foot is.... wink ) It's a beautiful area in my opinion. A little further down I-5 is Woodburn, but that's pushing the 45 minute mark.

I live in Coos Bay now, but I spent the first 28 years in the Portland area, from as far east as Troutdale, to as far west as Hillsboro. If you have any specific questions/concerns/just wanna chat, feel free to shoot me an email or pm.

Tony

Moderator:  Mosi 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal