shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119276 - 20/09/04 11:33 AM tourist coming - need advice
gx_ca Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
hello pnwx folks - especially the locals in vancouver/victoria.
my b/f & i will be vacationing a few days in vancouver next week. was wondering if there are any exceptional must dos, sees, eats, etc. in town.
i believe we're planning on a day trip to victoria -aside from butchart gardens - defiinitely going there, but anything else to see, do, eat would be greatly appreciated. if anything, just good restaurants - we like food (reasonably priced).

also, how necessary is a car to getting around? we haven't booked a car yet, but, if thing's are really walkable, then we just might do that.
much appreciated - & maybe i'll see one of your x's around town! smile

#119277 - 20/09/04 12:19 PM Re: tourist coming - need advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are much better off walking to vancouver/victoria from port angeles or another terminal in the US. It is much cheaper a ferry ride for 1 car from Port Angeles is around 68. american currancy...... www.victoriaexpress.com
listed below is in these locations,
Victoria/Port Angeles FARES (U.S. FUNDS)
Tickets at Landing Mall Terminal and On Board the Vessel
Fares may be subject to change.
One-Way
Per Passenger $10

Under Age 1 Free
Bicycles $5.00

San Juan FARES (U.S. FUNDS)
Victoria to Friday Harbor - Friday Harbor to Victoria
Fares may be subject to change.
One-Way
Per Passenger $25

Under Age 1 Free
Bicycles Free
and you can visit this site for further ferry times prices etc. http://www.portangeles.org/51.html

#119278 - 20/09/04 02:06 PM Re: tourist coming - need advice
Peanut Butter Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
It's pretty expensive to take a car on the ferry. If your just going to Victoria for the day there a coach bus service that goes from Vancouver.

Dos in Vacouver

- Stanley Park
- Gas Town
- Science World
- The Aquarium
- Lookout on Seymour and Cypress mountains

Restaurants

- The Tomato Fresh Food Cafe

http://www.tomatofreshfoodcafe.com/

- Earls
- Cactus Club on West Broadway just off Granville.

#119279 - 20/09/04 02:08 PM Re: tourist coming - need advice
babyX Offline

You don't really need a car to get around town. Might almost be faster to walk/ride the bus/take the Skytrain around town. Unless you want to check out the suburbs at all or drive up to the mountains.

#119280 - 20/09/04 02:15 PM Re: tourist coming - need advice
gx_ca Offline

hi djao -
thanks for the suggestion, even though it's a lot more reasonably priced, i don't see it as a feasible option.
it's a 5.5 hr drive from vancouver to port angeles. we're flying into & staying in vancouver. so, a direct ferry to victoria would be ideal.
which brings up another question - how choppy are the waters there? do i need to stock up on the dramamine for the b/f - he doesn't fare well on boat rides...

and what's the weather like right now? can i get away w/ shorts & a t-shirt or should i pack (much) warmer clothes? i am so bad at correlating degrees to actual climate conditions. so, what's everyone wearing these days? shorts/tanks, tshirts/jeans, parkas/gloves/beanies.

#119281 - 20/09/04 02:37 PM Re: tourist coming - need advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry............ wasent thinking I will leave it to the vancouver/victoria people.
http://sequim.com/weather_index.html is right across the water from Victoria so pretty much the same conditions........
other than that hope you have a good time:)
soon I will be able to go there as well, looking forward too it.
Have fun [Wave]

#119282 - 20/09/04 04:37 PM Re: tourist coming - need advice
gx_ca Offline

i know! i was so shocked when i was looking into ferry pricing. i might have to talk the b/f into joining some tour group or something out to victoria & the garden.

thanks for all the suggestions on things to do in town & good to know it's walk-able. i don't mind hoofin' it around town - plus it will make me not buy a lot of stuff since i won't want to carry it around! but the hotel we're staying @ is so centrally located - that could be a bad thing...
if we do end up getting a car to get out of town, what are good places to see? i heard about the suspension bridges - which one is better - offers a better chance of seeing wildlife or better views.

so don't mind me - just don't run me over as i'm trying to take pix w/ one of my 2 cameras or both! i'm such a dorky tourist, you wouldn't believe it.

thanks - hope you have fun on your trip, too! i love vacations. smile

#119283 - 20/09/04 06:12 PM Re: tourist coming - need advice
Claus Offline

Email me claus@uniglobespecialty.com if you need a car rental Hotel etc....I run a travel agency downtown Vancouver.

#119284 - 20/09/04 10:45 PM Re: tourist coming - need advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

sooo much to see when you come to van... the ferry to victoria will run you about 60cdn for two +car so it's much cheaper to walk on, but then you have to get to victoria, and cabs aren't cheap. the best advice i can give would definately check out both cities' chambers of commerce to find all the tourist-y spots, and for the BEST BBQ look for "memphis blues" on West Broadway- OMG!
weather here right now- http://www.weathernetwork.ca/weather/cities/can/pages/CABC0308.htm if you head east of vancouver approx 1 hr you'll find some really nice hiking, fishing, wheeling etc in the fraser valley (abbotsford & chilliwack). enjoy!

#119285 - 21/09/04 08:46 AM Re: tourist coming - need advice
gx_ca Offline

hey everyone -
thanks so much for your suggestions & help! i really appreciate it & am really looking forward to my vacation. yippee!! smile

claus, i'll be sending you an email in a little bit. thanks so much for offering your services. you're awesome.

& don't think we'll be doing to much wheeling if we're in a rental car. maybe a flat, dirt parking lot is all i'll risk in a car. teehee

Moderator:  Mosi 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal