2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122488 - 09/06/03 06:36 PM shackles in the back?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have a tow package and want to find some safe hookup points in the back to get pulled out. I saw some slots and holes in what appears to be the rear frame rails, are these good spots? Is the best Idea to buy a pair of $7 shackles and put them in there? I've searched like crazy but couldn't find any info on here... any help is appreciated.

P.S. I am posting the steprails off my 2000 X in really good condition for sale in Austin, TX. If anybody needs a replacement set.

#122489 - 10/06/03 07:21 AM Re: shackles in the back?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I remember from when I had your exact set-up is that without a hitch, there is really no good place for recovery points. In a worst-case scenario, you probably could get by with putting a strap around your rear leaf spring shackle, but not for a heavy recovery, and not more than once or twice. If you plan on going out enough to get stuck on a semi-regular basis, I would at least invest in an aftermarket hitch. They bolt right on (with or without frame stiffeners), and it's an automatic (safe) recovery point. Just trying to save you moeny and frustration later down the line. Hope this helps.

#122490 - 10/06/03 10:45 AM Re: shackles in the back?
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
I think the manual says to use the rear spring shackle for recovery.... not sure exactly, but that rings a bell.

-=RB

#122491 - 10/06/03 03:27 PM Re: shackles in the back?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks guys

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal