2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122705 - 21/05/03 01:16 PM Austin Wheelin spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in Austin, TX and looking for a good spot to go test out the Xterra. No mods as of yet but several on the drawing board. I've tooled around a bit before but could use some directions, suggestions and maybe some pointers. What's this I hear about the slabs? Anybody got good information?

confused

Jon

#122706 - 21/05/03 01:49 PM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Do you have 4wd or 2wd. If you have 2wd then the slabs are out of the question for you. It is strictly 4 wheel drive. You can alwasy go tool around Parmer nad Mopac.

#122707 - 21/05/03 02:26 PM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Jon,

There are some trails on the NW side of the intersection of Mopac and Parmer. They're pretty light, but can be really muddy depending on the weather. It's a fun place close-in. I work close to there, so if you want to try it out, let me know. I'm sure there are some other locals who may want to go as well (cough, cough, Kraig, cough).

Other than that, there are some trails by the San Gabriel river (both N and S forks) in Georgetown. Those are pretty much 4x4 only if you go very far on them.

Hope that helps.

#122708 - 21/05/03 03:10 PM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
ROKN_X Offline

There's a place in San Antonio called Devil's Den that's pretty fun; I haven't been there since I've had the X though. The "Slab" in Llano is fun but it has some pretty hard spots, so like Chia said, you need a 4x4 for it. I've never been to the Parmer/Mopac area that Goofiefoot is mentioning, but I'm not a bug fan of mud either.

Oh yeah, Hook'Em!!

#122709 - 21/05/03 08:00 PM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

ARGH, I knew not wanting to push around that extra diff was gonna bite me in the ass later. I'm only on 2wd so I guess no trips to the slabs. These nasty street tires don't have much bite so mud is off for a month or two till i can get something with some grip but I sure do appreciate all the info and i'll take a look at parmer/mopac probably tomorrow (thurs) since it should still be dryish. Another question... Calimini's idle arm braces... worth the $35?

Jon

#122710 - 22/05/03 07:21 AM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by LonghornXterra:
Another question... Calimini's idle arm braces... worth the $35?

Jon
It's an easy install and cheap piece-of-mind. If you're doing anything other than street driving (and even then) it's a good investment.

#122711 - 22/05/03 09:05 AM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys for the info about parmer and mopac. As expected it was bone dry but still some fun. I enjoyed the east creek crossing (big hill). Anything else like that in the area, maybe a bit tougher? Thanks also for the idle arm brace info, i'll be ordering them soon. Sorry I didn't get a chance to hook up with you guys this time, maybe later today or sometime later.

P.S. anybody seen that matte black '03 with the grill guard? Looked pretty cool, more reason for me to think about rhino lining the whole car.

Jon

#122712 - 22/05/03 09:26 AM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

Apparently, there are some trails on the opposite side of Mopac from where you were today (behind the medical center?) I've never been over there, but it sounds similar to the others, maybe more mud.

You said "them" referring to idler arm brace - realize there is only one.

PM me if you want to go wheelin' sometime.

#122713 - 22/05/03 03:05 PM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
ROKN_X Offline

Are y'all sure that the Parmer Trails are legal? I've asked a few of my friends about the trails and they were pretty sure that the trails are illegal. Or, is it one of the "it's legal as long as you don't get caught" type things...

#122714 - 22/05/03 03:45 PM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

Idle arm, duh just one... thanks. About the parmer trails, I didn't see any no trespassing signs, just no dumping signs. A few tracks had been closed either by dumping or mounds. The ones south of the medical center look much less legal. One cut appears just west of a road to a little house. That was a short trail with a few closed exits at the south end and a big drop in. A side trail had a HUGE rugged drop in (i'm not that brave or stupid) but little else. If legality can be figured out it might be a nice place to go and cut some new trails. There is a second cut just east of mopac on that same street but I didn't have time to check it out. Maybe Monday if somebody wants to waste some time and gas we could check it out.

#122715 - 24/05/03 02:31 PM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
zoso Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I checked out the spot at mopac and parmer. took me forever to find how to get down there and I took the first stretch a little fast...But it was fun. Anyone wanna meet out there tomorrow, sunday, around 1:00?

#122716 - 27/05/03 07:14 PM Re: Austin Wheelin spots
Anonymous
Unregistered

real nice mud at parmer and mopac yesterday, after the storm. Probably still decent fun. Turned my black truck pretty brown. Like this

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal