shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122717 - 11/02/03 08:58 PM s. padre question
quig500 Offline

Loc: houston
does anyone know the rules or advice for driving on the beach in south padre.

i know you can drive on the beach north for some 50-60 miles, but you need a 4x4. and 15 mile per hour.

and no driving on dunes or vegetation.

but, can you take a quad runner on the beach...i looked on the web and it looks to me like a vehicle must be street legal to be on the beach ?

heading there for a long weekend.

thanks in advance for any help/advice.

quig

#122718 - 15/02/03 11:49 PM Re: s. padre question
Griffin's_Girl Offline

Loc: TX
Yes, according to the rules, the vehicle must be street legal.

#122719 - 17/04/03 03:43 PM Re: s. padre question
Shockinxterra Offline

Loc: PhaRR, Tx
Hey man, since i live in the valley, spi is only an hour drive away....If u go off roading u gotta go way out there cause last time we went a friend of mine and i were out there playin, u know doin the usual..just playin around. well the police went out there and he turned his lights on. so my friend stopped to see what was goin on. The cop slapped him w/ a ticket for reckless driving a 275 dollar fine!!! So we asked where we could go offroading and he said NOWHERE!!! so just becareful and if u c the police...RUN!!

#122720 - 21/04/03 09:19 AM Re: s. padre question
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
I thought the law was beaches are considered streets, speed limit 30, and 4x4 reccommended or required on certain parts...

and at no time are you to drive through the dunes, just on the flat beach section...

Can't remember where I read that... it was online however.. maybe when I was searching for "texas offroad" or something...

#122721 - 28/04/03 06:24 AM Re: s. padre question
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
30 mph on the beach seems kinda fast. Here in Corpus, its 15-20, depending on what beach you are at....and no driving on the dunes. Fragile ecosystem.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#122722 - 28/04/03 12:14 PM Re: s. padre question
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Found a new posting... it was lowered to 15 MPH for the beach in general for all texas beaches, and also 15 MPH for county roads alongside the beaches..

Dune-driving is illegal still... looks like some sites rate the beach as a 3 of 10 for how hard it is to tackle for offroading... and most also say it's not too hard for a 4x2 to handle assuming you have clearance (we do!). Since you can't do the dunes, it's mostly scenic driving supposedly.

Also, while some parts of the gulf coast beach is privately owned, the public has access to all of it through a long-standing public access easement... although that may not mean you can drive on it, you can at least walk it all. smile

Hmmm, maybe I'll take my X down to Galveston or Corpus this summer to goof around. smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal