shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125812 - 31/03/04 11:26 AM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
"other" people have been using the trash can but not emptying it... I emptied it last weekend FYI.

#125813 - 31/03/04 11:36 AM Re: Barnwell Campsite
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Maybe it should be taken with someone everytime then.

#125814 - 31/03/04 12:13 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
The problem with taking the trashcan is that they might just start using the ground, instead. Second, we would have to remember to bring the trashcan, and who actually has the trashcan.

Short of locking up the trashcan, I don't see how we can prevent people from using it and not emptying it.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#125815 - 31/03/04 12:37 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
SWXterraClub Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas USA
Not having seen the trash can, but do we have something on it that states it's the responsiblity of the people at the site to empty it? The "squaters" might just assume that the property management is taking care of this, not knowing that our group put the can there.

#125816 - 31/03/04 12:39 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
surfingteacher Offline

Good point, we should probably put a sign up.

Might help, might not, couldn't hurt.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#125817 - 31/03/04 12:41 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by SWXterraClub:
Not having seen the trash can, but do we have something on it that states it's the responsiblity of the people at the site to empty it? The "squaters" might just assume that the property management is taking care of this, not knowing that our group put the can there.
I thought that SWXterraClub was a non-person account used for moderator purposes... who is that? Scott?

#125818 - 31/03/04 01:33 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser442:
Quote:
Originally posted by SWXterraClub:
[b]Not having seen the trash can, but do we have something on it that states it's the responsiblity of the people at the site to empty it? The "squaters" might just assume that the property management is taking care of this, not knowing that our group put the can there.
I thought that SWXterraClub was a non-person account used for moderator purposes... who is that? Scott?[/b]
Well it must be someone who's not been to Barnwell in a while (or maybe never), since he/she hasn't seen the trashcan setup......
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#125819 - 31/03/04 01:46 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
it was me.. but I let Robert have access to it.

#125820 - 31/03/04 02:00 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Ramstein92 Offline

Loc: Frisco, Tx
No, we do not have a 'Please empty the can' sign. I was under the naiive impression it would have been implied.

So, can anyone pony up and make a sign that we can attach to the can? (Then how would it be attached?). Either that or can one of you metal fabs make a sign on a pole, and we will cement it in the ground by the can...

s
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#125821 - 31/03/04 02:12 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
surfingteacher Offline

I could laminate a temporary sign, but that probably wouldn't last very long. Me thinks it needs to be something a little more permanent.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#125822 - 31/03/04 02:13 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have some 16 gauge sheet chris could cut the letters out........i thought it was assumed too...I have always taken the trash the trash out when we stayed down there.

#125823 - 31/03/04 02:13 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

I was just thinking of the parks and other places that I've been to that have had trash cans near the camping areas. That's always been a clue to me that I need to put my trash in there when I leave, not to use it as a temporary holding place until I leave the park and take it with me. We know it's temporary since we put it in, others may not. Putting a sign up might help, but then maybe not.

Yes, it was me. Forgot which computer I was on when I replied, and didn't feel like deleting the post and reposting from my personal account.

#125824 - 31/03/04 02:30 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
2001frontier Offline

Actually I think a couple hasps and combo locks would work best. A sign would be ignored IMHO. Clyde warned us we should lock it up or people would just fill it up when it got put out there.

#125825 - 31/03/04 03:29 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
How about making a stencil saying Please Empty or something and then spray painting it on the side of the can?
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#125826 - 31/03/04 05:21 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Ramstein92 Offline

Use Bag and Empty Before Leaving

?
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#125827 - 31/03/04 05:42 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Ramstein92 Offline

Just heard back from the TMTC Trails Committee

First, they (and Clyde) are unaware of any campsite adjacent to ours. Now, that could mean we 'own' the whole shabang and did not know it, they just plain forgot where our site is, or they forgot there are indeed two sites.

"the TC has a meeting scheduled for 4-17...we can take a look at your site and see where we go from there. If you or your members were there, we would welcome their input. "

At this meeting they are going to scout our area and we will find out what territory is ours. As we have been invited to have an input, if anyone wants to go... I'll drive.

We have also been asked to provide input on improvements we wish to make at this meeting. Herk This would be an excellent time to pitch our ideas and avoid some paperwork.

So, let's come up with all we would like to do, big or small. If they say 'no' to some, fine, we asked. But if they say yes... smile

s
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#125828 - 31/03/04 05:47 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
Actually I think a couple hasps and combo locks would work best. A sign would be ignored IMHO. Clyde warned us we should lock it up or people would just fill it up when it got put out there.
I agree with Chris, and Dan has a simple solution to the signage issue. Combine, both members have very good answers for resolving the trash can problem and of keeping other people from useing and leaving the trash can full.
Although, I also have two or three complete (state regulated) metal white reflective signs with "No Littering" in black reflective print, including the metal (green painted) channel post for each as well. I will donate and install them for the SWXC camp site and we could anchor them in the ground with concrete. After we find out what TMTC says about the Jeep camp site, port-a-john and all issues to be submitted in the proposal......

#125829 - 31/03/04 05:55 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Anonymous
Unregistered

with it chained and locked I don't see how others can empty it...

#125830 - 31/03/04 05:57 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be glad to help and would look forward to meeting with TMTC on the 17th with you and anyone else that is going to participate. Don't worry about paper work, I'll be able to handle any amout of paper work they could throw at us and then some. I would recommend that we and all members that are going to directly be involved with this project to meet prior to the meeting with TMTC on the 17th at Barnwell Mountain.

Z71Chris.....a combination lock would take care of this problem.

#125831 - 31/03/04 06:13 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Ramstein92 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Herk:
a combination lock would take care of this problem.
So would a trash bag in the trash can.

We have a combo lock on the can. It was put there in a vain attempt to keep people from taking away the can. I think it is going to come down to this. We put up signs saying 'Clean up when you are done'. Some will, some won't. We will just have to empty the can from time to time when we go out.

s
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#125832 - 31/03/04 06:39 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will go on the 17th... I am technically an SWXC non voting member laugh

#125833 - 31/03/04 07:07 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

The 17-18th is a work weekend BTW, which means no entrance fee for that weekend.

Here's the blurb from TMTC on it.

The next BMRA Work Weekend is April 17 & 18, less than a month away!  Please plan to come help us maintain trails and complete any “special projects” scheduled.  Bring your loppers, chain saws, shovels, machetes, or other appropriate trail tools.  We will assemble at the pavilion and begin assigning work areas at 9 AM.  Members arriving before noon on Saturday will not be charged the normal fees that weekend in exchange for their efforts.  Remember to register at the office on your way in.

Please pass this invitation along to other TMTC members and your club members.  Many hands make light work!

If you or your club wants to work on specific trails / items, please let me know and we'll try to accomodate you as much as possible.  The Work Weekend is not meant for building new trails or campsites, etc., unless time permits.

Our main efforts will be to trim back trails and pick up trash.  We may also have several other projects to complete, such as repairing erosion damage, etc.  If we can get started early we may be able too have a little fun too!

Also, the Trails Committee will hold its meeting at 11 AM at the pavillion on Saturday, October 17th.

#125834 - 31/03/04 07:10 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Quote:
Originally posted by System-f:
I will go on the 17th... I am technically an SWXC non voting member laugh
Get the right vehicle and we'll let you vote! laugh

#125835 - 31/03/04 08:27 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
Ramstein92 Offline

October 17th?
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#125836 - 01/04/04 07:20 PM Re: Barnwell Campsite
2001frontier Offline

I still want to build a grill for out there if there is interest still. Whoever does the proposal may want to put that in there. I can help with fire rings and stuff to. Just need specs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal