2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127949 - 09/11/03 11:50 AM 60K service needed
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
I am coming up on 60K and need to get my x serviced. Does anybody recommend a place in Dallas, close to Richardson or Plano? I would like to get this done before we go to Barnwell. Is Courtesy Nissan any good? What about Bankston or Trophy? Are there any others? Also, anybody know about how much this might run me?
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#127950 - 09/11/03 02:36 PM Re: 60K service needed
Ramstein92 Offline

Loc: Frisco, Tx
Having had my truck serviced at all three, I would go with Courtesy in Richardson.

As far as cost, I do not know who much it is going to be, but you can ask the different dealers to list out what they are going to do, for how much and then decline certain things you get elsewhere. For instance, it will run you $35 to have you tires rotated and balanced in the 60k service, but you can get that for free at Discount Tire...
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#127951 - 09/11/03 02:39 PM Re: 60K service needed
surfingteacher Offline

Thanks, that's kinda what I was leaning towards. Just never got around to checking out the dealers since i moved here.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#127952 - 09/11/03 04:31 PM Re: 60K service needed
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
What is included in the 60K service? I don't like to let anyone else touch my truck. If you're just doing fluid changes, brakes etc. you can do it at my place.

Are you a transmission Flusher or a D&F'er? D&F is trivial - flush requires a shop.

There are two things that I haven't done that still want/need to do: Repacking the front bearings and hubs and lubricating the propeller shaft)

#127953 - 09/11/03 06:11 PM Re: 60K service needed
surfingteacher Offline

kaiser, either take a look in the manual, or check out the AC board, under texas (not TNT) on one of the slabs posts. I posted what needs doing, and I don't feel like retyping it. I'm lazy like that. I might go copy and paste it in a minute

allright, here ya go

replace engine oil,oil filter,air cleaner filter, engine coolant

inspect vapor lines, fuel lines, drive belts, brake lines and cables, brake pads, discs, drums and linings ( I know the brakes need some work done on them), automatic transmission fluid, transaxle oil, exhasut system, steering gear and linkage, axle and suspension parts, front drive shaft boots, steering linkage ball joints and front suspension ball joints

tire rotation (which I will probably tell them to skip, since I just got those tires put on last month)

Also going to tell them to check my shocks. I think one might have up and died on me. But I won't let them replace them. Going upgrade to something else if one is blown. Rancho 9000s look nice, but not sure yet.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#127954 - 09/11/03 08:47 PM Re: 60K service needed
Kaiser Offline

Okay - well here's my opinion on those and the experience I've had... if you want to do some of them here, no prob.

Oh, and to answer your original question, Courtesy is good and they're super close.

Engine oil, oil filter, air cleaner - no problem... done 'em a ton

Coolant... depends how thorough you want to be... I did mine by dumping the radiator contents (not on the ground smile ), refilling w/water, driving 'till hot, dump, fill, drive, dump, fill w/ slightly too strong coolant mix. I don't mind doing it - but it ends up taking awhile whereas it's pretty fast/cheap at Jiffy Lube.

inspect:
vapor lines, fuel lines: I don't really know what they 'inspect'... just take a good all over and under the truck and see if anything looks wrong.

drive belts: Take a good look at it for cracks.
brake lines and cables: As long as they're not leaking, you're cool.

brake pads, discs, drums and linings ( I know the brakes need some work done on them):
I replaced my front pads a couple of weeks ago - no big deal... neither is pulling off the rear drums to check how much shoe is left and make sure the cylinders aren't leaking. I don't have a whole lot of experience w/ brakes as far as deciding when the rotors are bad enough to need turning etc...(if they do, the auto parts stores will turn 'em) but they're pretty simple devices.

automatic transmission fluid: Have you ever had it flushed or filled? The manual just says to inspect it forever (you can smell it to make sure it doesn't smell burned)... but I decided to start drain & flushing (did it once, will do it again as soon as I can get to Courtesy for some more ATF)... its as easy as an oil change (almost).

transaxle oil: I can't imagine them inspecting this... but changing it is super easy... it's probably about time to do your differentials, too. I've done all 3 on mine.

exhasut system, steering gear and linkage, axle and suspension parts, steering linkage ball joints and front suspension ball joints: Can't really help you there - other than, again, just look the whole truck over really well for things that don't look right.

front drive shaft boots: You're checking for cracks.

tire rotation (which I will probably tell them to skip, since I just got those tires put on last month): Okay... not hard... though my torque wrench is for <100 ft-lbs... so it's a rule-of-thumb tightening smile

Also going to tell them to check my shocks:
I'm not a great judge of these.

Have you considered PCV valve and fuel filter change?

It might be worth it to see how much they'd charge just to inspect everything - so you'd know what needs attention and could then address problems.

If you actually had them do engine oil, filter, coolant, transaxle fluid, tranny D&F, diff D&F, brake pads, fuel filter, PCV etc. they would charge a TON (unless any items are warranty)

I'm definitely getting some Bilstein's... but it'll have to wait awhile. Hey - if they do find a bad shock and will replace it under warranty, let 'em... you'll have a spare new one!

#127955 - 11/11/03 07:56 AM Re: 60K service needed
surfingteacher Offline

Got a quote from Courtesy...60K runs about $540. Nt exactly cheap. Did download a coupon for 10% off, and i'll see if they can use the swxc discount for any of it. They said they would knock some off for not needing the tires rotated or balanced. still, it was more than I was hoping it would be. At least I will know my truck is in top shape for Barnwell.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#127956 - 11/11/03 09:07 AM Re: 60K service needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

flushing dosen't require a shop, it requires a 5 gallon jug :p

#127957 - 11/11/03 01:11 PM Re: 60K service needed
Kaiser Offline

See, that's where I spend $150 to do it myself (depending what gets done, mind you) and have plenty left over for a set of Bilsteins and several cases of beer.

Sure, a wheel may fly off my truck while going down the freeway someday.... but I didn't really need it anyway.... honestly... I've got THREE more!

#127958 - 11/11/03 01:28 PM Re: 60K service needed
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Just 3? Where'd your spare go to?

smile

Does anyone know if the dealership goin in at 121&75 in McKinney is gonna be a Nissan place? I don't know what's left for McKinney - weve got everything else. Hope it's not a land rover or Hyundai or something!

-=RB

#127959 - 11/11/03 05:12 PM Re: 60K service needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jason I might have some time Saturday to do the service, where was the list again?

Quote:
replace engine oil,oil filter,air cleaner filter, engine coolant
15 mins at the most...

Quote:
inspect vapor lines, fuel lines, drive belts, brake lines and cables, brake pads, discs, drums and linings ( I know the brakes need some work done on them), automatic transmission fluid, transaxle oil, exhasut system, steering gear and linkage, axle and suspension parts, front drive shaft boots, steering linkage ball joints and front suspension ball joints
To do it right, 1 hour, assuming you wanted to do all the brakes and the bearings add another hour.

Shocks on your truck another 30 mins.. I think I can find that time Saturday if you want to?

#127960 - 12/11/03 05:31 AM Re: 60K service needed
surfingteacher Offline

Well, damn. I thought that you were gonna be gone to Austin this weekend, so I already scheduled an appointment. You sure you wouldn't mind? let me think about it and i'll let you know.

What would I need to get to do all this? How much oil, what kind of filter and all that other stuff? Growing up, my dad would rather just pay somebody to do all this than worry about it, so I kinda lack in experience in this department. Also, what kind and how much beer would I need to get for ya, Keith and anybody else interested?
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#127961 - 12/11/03 06:59 AM Re: 60K service needed
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by surfingteacher:
Well, damn. I thought that you were gonna be gone to Austin this weekend, so I already scheduled an appointment. You sure you wouldn't mind? let me think about it and i'll let you know.

What would I need to get to do all this? How much oil, what kind of filter and all that other stuff? Growing up, my dad would rather just pay somebody to do all this than worry about it, so I kinda lack in experience in this department. Also, what kind and how much beer would I need to get for ya, Keith and anybody else interested?
Engine Oil: 4 quarts (The truck holds 3.5) 5W-30 or 10W30 name brand. I use Valvoline synthetic but that's a whole 'nother discussion.
Oil Filter: Nissan - buy it from Courtesy & don't forget the crush washer for the oil drain plug (little copper washer)
Air Filter: Nissan - buy it from Courtesy
If you're going to do the front brakes:
Pads from Courtesy (pads and air filter cost me $70 w/SWXC discount). Also (from any auto parts store): brake parts cleaner (spray can), caliper grease (two little packets), anti-squeal (I've got some), and 1 pint of DOT-3 brake fluid.
Coolant change: 2 bottles of GREEN anti-freeze.
If you're going to change transfer case fluid: 3 quarts of Nissan Matic D automatic transmission fluid ($5.32 a quart)
If you're going to drain & fill transmission: 5 quarts of Nissan Matic D automatic transmission fluid - more for a flush.
If you're going to change differential fluid: 5 quarts of 80W90 GL-5 LSD-compatible gear lube. I used Redline brand 75W90 from Courtesy.

#127962 - 12/11/03 07:08 AM Re: 60K service needed
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by System-f:
assuming you wanted to do all the brakes and the bearings add another hour.
If you're going to repack bearings and hubs I'd be interested in observing... I need to do mine.

#127963 - 12/11/03 07:46 AM Re: 60K service needed
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Yer welcome to my K&N filter if you want it. I switched back to paper... I was concerned that the K&N wasn't filtering enough and was worried about SC wear... probably just me being overcautious... but the filter has only 3K miles on it... fits an 02 V6.

I can bring it to work sometime if needed. Or meet at lunch, I'm near 190 and coit. PM or email me thru the board for details...

-=RB

#127964 - 12/11/03 08:34 AM Re: 60K service needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am going to leave for Austin at 6am and drive straight back up here. It is probably a good idea to repack bearings, with my pathfinder they recommend doing it after each mid-wheel water crossing. I would recommend getting the 10-30 valvoline synthetic as that's what I have used for the last 60k. We could start this project at 2pm? probably be done by 5pm. I have air here so stuck bolts won't be an issue. Anyone is welcome to come.

To add to the list I would also get, all the fan belts and the 3 main radiator hoses , main return , and the two supply. Brake pads and shoes wouldn't be bad either, get the top-of-the-line ones for the front, semi carbon metalic or whatever. We have an autozone 2 mins from my houes that my roomate works at so parts aren't that big of a deal if you miss something. OH and beer is not required but I only drink shinner and corona

#127965 - 12/11/03 08:58 AM Re: 60K service needed
surfingteacher Offline

I appreciate the help, and I know it would save money, but I think I'm just going to drop it off at the dealer this time. Next time around, when there isn't as much to do, I'll go ahead and do it myself.

If somebody wants to hang out this weekend and work on something else, i would be more than willing to help. Or if anybody just wants to get together for a beer, lmk.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#127966 - 12/11/03 10:42 AM Re: 60K service needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, I will just repack my bearings then since it needs to be done and drill out my struts.. anyone is welcome to come over on Saturday. Glen, if you want to see a bearing repack come over...same for Xs as it is for Pathfinders. Also might need some help building skid plates and if I have the cash for steel a swing away rear bumper.. the more people I have to help me cut steel the better laugh

#127967 - 12/11/03 11:12 AM Re: 60K service needed
surfingteacher Offline

PM your number and I'll come help.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#127968 - 12/11/03 11:25 AM Re: 60K service needed
Kaiser Offline

Yeah, I'll go... let me know the when and the where.

Hey, if anyone is interested (and I'm pretty darn sure that they are NOT) - there is a bluegrass show in downtown Garland Saturday night that I'm going to.

#127969 - 12/11/03 11:41 AM Re: 60K service needed
surfingteacher Offline

Glen, You're right, we're not.

To each his own, if we all liked the same thing, it would be a boring world. [ThumbsUp]
TNT #14
SWXC #95
Cardomain

#127970 - 12/11/03 02:11 PM Re: 60K service needed
Kaiser Offline

Hey, it'a a great place to pick up 70 year old chicks

#127971 - 12/11/03 03:20 PM Re: 60K service needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

817 235 9909 13132 Ridgepoint Rd Keller, TX

If you look it up in yahoo it will give you the wrong Ridgepointe, my area is actually down the main road, west a bit of where yahoo gives you the address.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal