2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128 - 18/12/04 03:29 AM Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know posts like this are annoying, but I am going to go ahead with it in hopes that someone here will offer some help and take me serious enough not to ignore it and/or flame me.

I've been lurking this board for some time and have finally decided to register and start posting.

Most noteworthy, I have been eyeing the Xterra since its conception. I just sold my 01 Titan Crew Cab (awesome truck, I might add) and am about to purchase a used 02 Xterra Se S/C - something a bit smaller.

I am going to buy it sight-unseen and fly 2200 miles to pick it up and drive it back.
"Why???" you ask....

Because it is the only one I have managed to find that has the particular options that I want (5-speed, Leather, Supercharger. Yellow in color).

I need to add that it has 44,000 miles on it and I have been reassured it is in excellent condition with the exception that it needs new tires and it has a couple of door dings.

Besides the obvious foolishness of buying a used vehicle sight-unseen, is there anything in particular I should be concerned about in regards to the 02 Xterra?
My biggest concern is the supercharger. Should I be so concerned??

Note I am hoping to direct these questions to guys that know the Xterra, not just any used 4x4, hence my posting it on this forum.

Any input and or opinions directly related to buying an Xterra would be graciously welcome , especially one with a supercharger.

Hopefully, after owning 20 other vehicles, I will be able to park an Xterra in my driveway and spend gobs of time on this forum contributing.

I think you'll be surprised at the mods I can create from scratch.

Thank you in advance.

:-)

Ayrow

#129 - 18/12/04 04:47 AM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome to the community.

You'll be happy to own the Xterra, for sure.

Premium fuel is needed for the Xterra, but it only adds a couple of buck per tankfull, so it's not that bad.

If the vehicle is cold when you pick it up, start it up and listen for any ticking sounds, especially from the right side of the engine. X's (and Nissan V6's in general) have a tendency to have a cracked right hand exhaust manifold, common.

When you get back home, have someone (a shop, a dealership, Pep Boys, etc) run the codes from the computer for you. There could be a code stored without the light being on. Get that checked, for insurance. If anything is stored, get it fixed, you'll be happier afterwards.

Don't top off the fuel tank! Fill it until the nozzle clicks off, then pull the nozzle out and put it away. Clicking more fuel into it can (and will) cause the light to come on.

Otherwise, drive it. Play with it. Take it off road (it'll really like that, they get cranky if they don't see dirt once in a while). Even if it's 2wheel drive, some fun in the mud doesn't hurt.

Enjoy it!

#130 - 18/12/04 05:07 AM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cyclemut, I bought my X about 3 weeks ago, filled it up, and topped it off a few times, and I don't get that light coming on. Could that be because it was a glitch in a certain lot of built X's, built during a particular time? or plant? Well, now that I opened Pandoras box, it'll happen. I just filled up this morning. just wondering

#131 - 18/12/04 07:42 AM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is just a possibility the light could come on.

#132 - 18/12/04 08:24 AM Re: Intro and need opinion
BradLee Offline

Loc: Black Hills
Welcome [Wave] You had a 01 Titan? What is that? Is that a typo or was there a vehicle called Titan in 01?

#133 - 18/12/04 08:47 AM Re: Intro and need opinion
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
Quote:
Originally posted by x0X2x:
Cyclemut, I bought my X about 3 weeks ago, filled it up, and topped it off a few times, and I don't get that light coming on. Could that be because it was a glitch in a certain lot of built X's, built during a particular time? or plant? Well, now that I opened Pandoras box, it'll happen. I just filled up this morning. just wondering
You've just been lucky, continue to do it (especially in hot weather) and eventually you will have problems (ruined charcoal canister). Why do people continue to do this? Every vehicle I've had that was made since the mid 70's warns against it in the owners manual. Do people think that they are smarter than the people who engineered their vehicles?

#134 - 18/12/04 10:19 AM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BradLee:
Welcome [Wave] You had a 01 Titan? What is that? Is that a typo or was there a vehicle called Titan in 01?
I really hope it was a typo....frontier...titan...they practically sound the same.

#135 - 18/12/04 11:48 AM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would run carfax http://carfax.com/ on it to make sure it wasn't a rebuilder or had other issues first, especially if you are buying it in CA.

They sell a lot of crashed vehicles out there and unless you know the person that rebuilt it and what it looked like before it was done, you could be in for a lot of problems down the line.

Just my 2¢

#136 - 18/12/04 01:47 PM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, everybody for your replies, especially Cyclemut.
I already ran a Carfax report and all seems to be OK.

I did not get any feedback on the supercharger, so I'll assume that this is nothing to worry about.

I will keep you guys updated and send you ton of pictures (I am a photographer) laugh

If you have any more info, please post it as I will checking in often to learn as much as I can.

Thsnks again.

#137 - 18/12/04 01:49 PM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I know this is sarcasm or some inside joke here. Afraid I don't get it since I am a "newbie".

Oh well.

:rolleyes:

#138 - 18/12/04 02:18 PM Re: Intro and need opinion
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by Ayrow:
Quote:
[b]Welcome [Wave] You had a 01 Titan? What is that? Is that a typo or was there a vehicle called Titan in 01?
I know this is sarcasm or some inside joke here. Afraid I don't get it since I am a "newbie".

Oh well.

:rolleyes: [/b]
'04 is the first year of the Titan, you said you had an '01.

#139 - 18/12/04 03:04 PM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

DUH!!!

Lordy,...I introduce myself, ask a couple of questions, and make a fool of myself!

Didn't even notice.
In my defense, it was 4:30am when I typed the original message.

If you guys are interested, you are welcome to see the pics of the Titan I had here:
http://www.ayrow.com/titan-.htm

Nice truck. Just a bit too big and expensive.
Hopefully I will be happier with the Xterra.

#140 - 18/12/04 03:48 PM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah an 04 perfect sense now.

You will be very happy with the super charger, and if you get the mysterious power loss take it in and have them look for a Knock Sensor code. The SES light will not come on if it fails, and it makes a huge difference when replaced.

Premium fuel is a must also, I ran it both ways and there was a difference in performance between the two.

Get used to the difference in power and you will be very satisfied.

#141 - 18/12/04 06:18 PM Re: Intro and need opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only thing I can really add here is if you were looking for fuel economy by going to a smaller truck, then the supercharged version is not the way to go. I bought a 2003 se/sc six months ago and did the lift, tires, intake and exhaust. My before and after MPG's are drastically different, but it was only getting about 15 or so highway miles per gallon. (now WAY less!) Maybe there is something wrong with my X, i.e. the tires (33"), because my roomate has a '04 Titan with a lift and tires and we get the same mileage, but like I said, if you were looking to save money on gas, don't supercharge it. Don't get me wrong, I love my Xterra and I'm constantly looking for ways to challenge it and so far, it has not let me down.

#142 - 18/12/04 07:15 PM Re: Intro and need opinion
sjstremb Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I've got a S/C 02 and i'm a photographer as well and I really like my truck, I've got 40,000+ miles on it and with the exception of returning it for a few recalls, have not had any problems with it and have found it to be a very robust truck and great for photo adventures and getting out into the landscape to photograph. you can carry a load of gear in it.

I do most of the maintaince myself and the oil is really simple to do. I'd wait a few months before getting into the mods, see what you really need.

As for the S/C, you just have to go with the flow and not get bent out of shape about the cost of premium fuel, its the cost of doing business and to get upset about the crappy fuel cost will just make you nuts. FYI, in the summer, the best I ever got was 19 mpg, the worst, in the winter driving around town 12-13mpg!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal