shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128833 - 02/11/04 04:56 PM 'The Trash Can' at BMRA
Ramstein92 Offline

Loc: Frisco, Tx
Remember when the SWXC put a 'permanment' trash can at our campsite at Barnwell? Well, our optimistic thoughts were that people would actually use a trash bag in the can, and 'pack out what they packed in'. (Actually a rule at Barnwell is that you indeed do clean up whatever you brought in and take it to the dumpster by the office.)

Well, over the past year and a half, there have been reports of people filling the can, not emptying it, and creating the sort of mess that goes along with still trash: bees, smell, etc.

So, it is time to can the can?

Options:
  • Give the office the combo lock number so people can empty the can, provided they put it back.

• Remove the can from the property all together.

Thoughts?
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#128834 - 02/11/04 05:10 PM Re: 'The Trash Can' at BMRA
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to keep the cans at the office, but have no problems bringing my own. Now that I think about it more they might, as you said in another forum, see it as territorial...I say remove it and we bring our own.

#128835 - 02/11/04 05:39 PM Re: 'The Trash Can' at BMRA
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I arrived at the SWXC camp site on Friday afternoon, the trash can was full, the trash can lid was missing and there was disregarded food still in its' orginal packages laying around the camp site in the grass and woods. Also the fire pit was full of empty beer cans and bottles.

I believe (my opinion) that giving the combination of the lock to anyone that is not a SWXC member will most likely either not lock it when they are done, thus possibly loosing the lock and/or will leave it locked and still full of trash. Or they may just leave it unlocked for anyone else driving by to throw their trash into the can as well, hence the same problem all over again. Once the combination is revealed to people outside of the club members what is to stop them from just dumping their trash into the can in the future and not empty it as well.

Removing the trash may help, by doing this it would force everyone/anyone using the camp site to be more responsible for all of their own trash/debris. Then again, without a trash can there on site, we may find even more trash left at the camp site when we return.......... eek

#128836 - 02/11/04 05:45 PM Re: 'The Trash Can' at BMRA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry gang we picked up a bit around the site before we left and I ment to ask if we could take a bag or two up to the office on the way out but I forgot frown

I didn't even know there was a can at the site. I totally missed it. Its probably even in one of the pics posted in various places.

#128837 - 03/11/04 06:54 AM Re: 'The Trash Can' at BMRA
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
Remove it. The office is not likely going to want to empty it, and its presence just invites the people to use and leave the trash there. That's what I would do if I didn't know better when I was out there
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#128838 - 03/11/04 07:21 AM Re: 'The Trash Can' at BMRA
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Now that I think about it a little more - there is no reason to expect other people to empty it... everywhere else in the world when you see an outdoor trashcan - it is there for public use and the people who put it there are responsible for emptying it.... why would people think any differently of ours?

I was kinda thinking of the people who filled it up and left it that way as jerks before... but maybe they just don't realize that it is not a public trash can emptied by BMRA...

Has there ever been a sign near it stating that it is for SWXC use only - or to empty it if you use it?

I think it either needs to go - or be replaced with one that we can lock closed so the other people out there won't be ABLE to put trash in it.

#128839 - 03/11/04 07:29 AM Re: 'The Trash Can' at BMRA
Ramstein92 Offline

Loc: Frisco, Tx
The concensus all around is to 'Can the Can in 04'. Thus it will be done.

Unless someone wants to recount all the votes...
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#128840 - 03/11/04 07:34 AM Re: 'The Trash Can' at BMRA
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
I vote go since people do not seem to respect the campsite.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal