shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130584 - 30/09/06 11:50 AM 10/13-15 Logan’s Death Valley Memorial Run
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
This promises to be a fun trip and a nice way to honor Logan so please join us if you can:

General idea:

10/13 Friday night camp at Ballarat (across the road from the general store). Primitive Sites

10/14 General run: 9am meet in Ballarat for the Pleasant Canyon Loop. (23miles, 6 hrs; Moderate until South Park that is more difficult)

Depending on the timing/group some may head up to Rogers Pass and back down rather than the longer more difficult loop thought South Park Canyon. Either way we will head into Butte Valley via Goler Wash and spend the night near the Geologists' Cabin.

10/15- Memorial at sun-up on Sunday morning (one of his favorite things to do was to watch the sun rise over Striped Butte), and then continue east, out through Death Valley, returning home Sunday afternoon.

Reference / GPS:
Backcountry Adventures: So Cal by Massey & Wilson
Pleasant Canyon Loop Trail #35
Mengel Pass # 34

Lory (Blue Leader) is the organizer/leader I’m just posting this here to get the word out.

#130585 - 30/09/06 12:06 PM Re: 10/13-15 Logan’s Death Valley Memorial Run
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
I'll be at a trade show in Chicago and won't be able to make it.

My thoughts will be with you guys.

Take Care,

Doug

#130586 - 04/10/06 07:53 PM Re: 10/13-15 Logan’s Death Valley Memorial Run
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everything Brian said, except:

Pleasant Canyon Loop Trail is "Desert #35" and Mengel Pass Trail is "Desert #33".

As Brian also said, I will be leading a group from Roger's Pass back the way we came, for those who don't want to continue on through South Park Canyon, which includes eek the unnerving "Chicken Rock" (a tight off-camber left-hand turn pitching you towards a [Uh Oh !] 1000'+ dropoff), and the crossing of a eek narrow wood bridge made from telephone poles and railroad ties (that crosses a section of the shelf road that was dynamited by the prospector (Briggs) whose cabin is at the bottom of the grade, with that [Uh Oh !] previously-mentioned 1000'+ sheer dropoff to your right).

Quite a few of the old SCCX members will be going, and laugh I look forward to seeing them, as well as cool meeting any newer members.

E-mail me if you have any questions..... confused

Lory Jefferson aka Blue Leader
L_J_Jefferson@yahoo.com

#130587 - 09/10/06 09:34 AM Re: 10/13-15 Logan’s Death Valley Memorial Run
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please be aware, there is highway construction this weekend, Oct 13-15, at the junction of I-15 and I-215, with detours and road/lane closures!

Here is an alternate path that will bypass SOME of the traffic (check it out on Google maps or MapQuest so you can follow it easier):

Exit the I-15 at Sierra Ave. Turn left, going north towards the mountains. This becomes Lytle Creek Rd.

Continue north (to right) on Lytle Creek Rd, past where Middle Fork Rd. enters from left.

After negotiating a left curve, you will pass NF-2N53 on the right just before the town of Lytle Creek. Watch for the next road on the right, which will be Sheep Canyon Rd (NF-2N56). If you see Sycamore Dr. on the left, you've gone too far.

Turn onto Sheep Canyon Rd., still heading north. Sheep Canyon Rd. will merge onto Sheep Creek Truck Trail at a backwards fork. Continue north.

Sheep Creek Truck Trail will "T" into Swarthout Canyon Rd. Turn left (northwest).

Swarthout Canyon Rd. will end at a paved road -- Lone Pine Canyon Rd. Turn right (north-northeast), which will "T" into Hwy. 138. Turn right on 138 and take this to I-15, which will enter past where all construction is.

The same route, in reverse order, can be used for the return trip on Sunday.

Lory Jefferson aka Blue Leader

#130588 - 12/10/06 07:14 PM Re: 10/13-15 Logan’s Death Valley Memorial Run
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
I'm taking the 405N to the 14 through Mojave and staying in Ridgecrest friday night so I'll see everbody in Ballarat before 9am on sat.

Give me a call on my cell if anything comes up or you want to meet in ridgecrest, we should be there before dark.

FRS 10, subcode 24

Brian

#130589 - 12/10/06 07:54 PM Re: 10/13-15 Logan’s Death Valley Memorial Run
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not going to make it after all. We have company from back east so I'll have to look forward to the next run. Have fun.

#130590 - 16/10/06 08:17 AM Re: 10/13-15 Logan’s Death Valley Memorial Run
BooBear Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
I unfortunately will not be able to attend. Allen is still in Iraq and the X needs some work.
We all wish we could be there as Logan was a GREAT friend and loving "uncle" to the kids.
We all miss him dearly.
Please be safe. And don't forget the Krispy Kreme!!!! Logan sure wouldn't have!

RENEE

#130591 - 17/10/06 10:33 PM Re: 10/13-15 Logan’s Death Valley Memorial Run
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Quote:
Originally posted by BooBear:

Please be safe. And don't forget the Krispy Kreme!!!! Logan sure wouldn't have!

RENEE
Or Jack in the Box. laugh
The man loved his Jack in the Box. Hard for me to drive by one these days and not think of Logan. Good times. Good memories.
Hope the run went well. I know it would have meant a lot to him.

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal