shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130934 - 08/03/04 05:30 PM Baja Cali
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone been riding in Baja yet? looking for the low down, seems like it might be worth a trip.

sax

#130935 - 09/03/04 08:47 AM Re: Baja Cali
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yup, did two separate three week trips. Depends on what you want to do. We went windsurfing/spearfishing/diving/etc. along with 4x4ing.

I wrote up a trip report or two....

http://cp1700d.hopto.org/index.htm
http://cp1700d.hopto.org/sumbaja.htm

#130936 - 24/03/04 09:40 PM Re: Baja Cali
Anonymous
Unregistered

how would a 4x2 do on the trails down in baja?

#130937 - 25/03/04 07:30 AM Re: Baja Cali
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Mexico is not a place where you want to get stuck.

Keep the 4X2 on the road, south of the border wink

#130938 - 25/03/04 10:38 AM Re: Baja Cali
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Pacopico, I've driven from Ensenada across the desert to San Felipe and the only time I used a paved road was when I crossed over one in my 2wd X. I got stuck once in very soft sand, more like silt, but there are countless dirt roads and trails all over Baja that are very very 2wd accessable.

There are also many mountain roads up in the hills off to the east of the main toll road from Ensenada as well as countless trails going east into the desert and south into Ensenada from Rosarity and beyond that are quite 2wd accessable.

Your biggest enemy is the soft sand and silt as well as many many sharp rocks littering the terrain. The faster you go the better your chances of hitting a jagged rock.

Obviously the standard rules of off-roading apply such as know your terrain, don't go alone, and take safety and recovery equipment.

#130939 - 25/03/04 11:58 AM Re: Baja Cali
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to agree with socalpunX, and say there is almost unlimited possibilities for a tough 2WD with a little clearance. All my time in Baja was spent in my 2WD Tacoma, and that thing's been more places in Mexico than most any other vehicle I know of. Often, it was loaded down with gear, tools, and a 60-gallon water drum. Man, we went all over the place!
Just remember, take good recovery gear, a friend to hook it on to, and go easy on the gas pedal. Practice some common sense, and you should be fine.

#130940 - 25/03/04 01:27 PM Re: Baja Cali
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
You guys both bring valid experiences. I have as well taken my 4X2 Xterra many places other 2WD's absolutely would not go!

However, the usual precautions for four-wheeling should strictly be adhered to, especially when in a foreign place.

I don't know D'oh Monkey, but if he speaks no spanish, and doesn't know the local customs...Baja is probably not the best place to explore trails alone in a 4X2.

#130941 - 25/03/04 10:19 PM Re: Baja Cali
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've done nearly 2000 miles offroad in Baja. I don't ever NEED 4wd (except for that one road to San Sebastian...) smile Mostly I engage 4WD when I'm flying washboard at 50-60mph and want that extra amount of control. Yes, I know flying is bad, but when you have 85 miles of trail to cover and the washboard is rattling your eyes out, you start to succomb to the magic of flying washboard.

Sand is your enemy in 2WD, but other than that, a 2wd should be fine. Most mexicans drive 2WDs and they go everywhere.

#130942 - 27/03/04 10:25 AM Re: Baja Cali
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info. everyone...I checked out "97incali" pics down in baja..which sparked an interest in going down south..especially the spear fishing...mmmm...fresh yellow tail...poke...

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal