2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130943 - 31/12/06 09:53 AM 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
For this winter I’m thinking about different places we did’nt hit last year such as Stoddard Wells OHV, El Mirage OHV, Superstition Mt Loop

Plus some of the favorite ones such as Death Valley NP, Rattlesnake Canyon & BB Snow, etc

We should also have another beginners run during the first couple of months; So maybe the Indian Truck Trail and Wildomar OHV which is in the OC but close to SD county.

Anyway please post up what you're interested in, if you want to led/help out on a run, have some other stuff in mind, etc?

For example should we schedule Rattlesnake Canyon & BB Snow on 1/20-21 and the Beginners run in Feb or the other way around, or something else?

#130944 - 31/12/06 11:34 AM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be in for anything in the rancho area or within 45 minutes. Im going to go through lytle creek area today.

#130945 - 31/12/06 11:49 AM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it'd be a good idea to have more beginner runs, if nothing else have the monthly runs feature areas for both beginners and experienced drivers in two groups so more people will participate.

I'd be more into BB/Rattlesnake in Feb; I know Xtatic hopes it's Feb so he can finish out hunting season.

Any ideas for some wheeling up 395 way? Some great stuff up there for all skill levels.

Also, combining a few runs with trail maintenance would be good. I know we don't have an adopt-a-trail of our own, but maybe we can check with CORVA or the forest service to see what's going on.

#130946 - 31/12/06 04:17 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
How about a Dubai, U.A.E. desert run? laugh

#130947 - 31/12/06 05:55 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Spencer Offline

Loc: Irvine
pismo in Feb 9,10,11

You don't know what you got till its gone

#130948 - 31/12/06 09:55 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:
I think it'd be a good idea to have more beginner runs, if nothing else have the monthly runs feature areas for both beginners and experienced drivers in two groups so more people will participate.

I'd be more into BB/Rattlesnake in Feb; I know Xtatic hopes it's Feb so he can finish out hunting season.

Any ideas for some wheeling up 395 way? Some great stuff up there for all skill levels.

Also, combining a few runs with trail maintenance would be good. I know we don't have an adopt-a-trail of our own, but maybe we can check with CORVA or the forest service to see what's going on.
I think Bobby has some good ideas there.

I was thinking that Fish Creek might make a good combo run, those who want some "x-citement" can come in through Arroyo Seco del Diablo via the Drop Off, and meet the rest of us (myself included) who would come in through Split Mountain. Not sure if that is really a workable idea (ie having two groups actually connect up in the middle of the desert), but something to think about. We could all then do Sandstone Canyon. Otherwise, Fish Creek / Sandstone would make a great "beginner" run; the scenery is amazing, and there are some good hiking/exploring opportunities.

I missed the Bradshaw Trail last year, so would like to see another trip out there. A long overland trip with some history (and the bombing range) sounds interesting. I know it's not a real technical challenge, but running it from end to end might be fun.

Bobby mentioned Hwy 395. Trona Pinnacles (near Ridgecrest) sounds like something to see. A bunch of sci-fi movies were filmed there (one of the Star Trek movies, the Lost in Space TV series, and the remake of Planet of the Apes, probably many more). It sounds like 2WD friendly unless the dry lake isn't dry. It's a long drive from San Diego, but I would like to see it. (Heather thinks I'm crazy.)

Last May Tom (Pigcat) lead a group of us through Chariot, Orriflame and Rodruguez Canyons. That was a great route that would make a good club run. Not sure I would call it stock friendly, but I guess it really was no worse than Rattlesnake, and I did that one stock. I was glad I had sliders on Rodriguez, though.

Berdoo Canyon and Geology Tour Road in Joshua Tree. Wells' book shows it going from north to south, but if we went in from Dillon Road (at the south end) we could camp in Joshua Tree. If we stayed someplace with basic facilities such as Jumbo Rocks maybe we could get some people who don't like primitive camping to come along.

We have to get Mitch to lead a trip to Area 51. I'm working on a new AFDB in anticipation of that trip. My old one got crumbled.

#130949 - 31/12/06 10:38 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another idea, in addition to multiple or designated "beginner runs" could be a "training run" for drivers interested in advancing their skills to the next level (me included!) Training can be provided on how to handle obstacles/terrain such as rocks, loose hills, off camber sections, ruts/slots, SLIDING THE TRUCK, last chance efforts, etc. We could meet at a trail and answer questions about how to handle obstacles rather than focusing on getting to the end of the trail. A little knowledge about how the terrain effects the truck increases the comfort level behind the wheel.

#130950 - 01/01/07 01:15 AM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

I learned a great deal on my first off road trip to Calico Rocks, and had great teachers. I hope in addition to Pigcat's excellent list I can learn how to use a winch or tow someone and even use a Highlift without breaking my arm. I am looking forward to learning more from Xtoolbox, AV Xterra and the rest of SCCX.

#130951 - 01/01/07 01:55 AM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I was thinking that Fish Creek might make a good combo run, those who want some "x-citement" can come in through Arroyo Seco del Diablo via the Drop Off, and meet the rest of us (myself included) who would come in through Split Mountain. Not sure if that is really a workable idea (ie having two groups actually connect up in the middle of the desert), but something to think about. We could all then do Sandstone Canyon. Otherwise, Fish Creek / Sandstone would make a great "beginner" run; the scenery is amazing, and there are some good hiking/exploring opportunities.
I was out in Fish Creek this past Saturday and there was a major rock slide, I don't know how recent it is but to get around it is kinda tricky. It is Right before you get to Sand stone canyon I will post pics of it in the pictures section either tonight or tommarow.

#130952 - 01/01/07 10:26 AM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XterraDude:
Quote:
I was out in Fish Creek this past Saturday and there was a major rock slide, I don't know how recent it is but to get around it is kinda tricky. It is Right before you get to Sand stone canyon I will post pics of it in the pictures section either tonight or tommarow.
I would like to know just where that is. Were you coming from Split Mountain or from the drop-off?

#130953 - 01/01/07 02:58 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I would like to know just where that is. Were you coming from Split Mountain or from the drop-off?
I was coming from the split mountain, past the drop off end. It is 2.2 miles from the end of the drop off trail going towards sandstone canyon. I hope this helps

#130954 - 01/01/07 05:59 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, as Bobby said......February is perfect!
Ok, Ok, so I'm being selfish...I just don't want to miss Rattlesnake again.....please?
Randy

#130955 - 02/01/07 06:51 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Pigcat:
Another idea, in addition to multiple or designated "beginner runs" could be a "training run" for drivers interested in advancing their skills to the next level (me included!) Training can be provided on how to handle obstacles/terrain such as rocks, loose hills, off camber sections, ruts/slots, SLIDING THE TRUCK, last chance efforts, etc. We could meet at a trail and answer questions about how to handle obstacles rather than focusing on getting to the end of the trail. A little knowledge about how the terrain effects the truck increases the comfort level behind the wheel.
Even if we met up for a moderate trail run, I'd be more than happy to dedicate some time on just instructing beginners. I've been off-roading for more than 7 years and have also taken a couple advanced classes by Bill Burke. I love helping beginners build their confidence level. I just wish someone would have helped me when I was starting.

I can also bring a shotgun and pistol for anyone who wants to fire a few rounds for fun, as long as we're on BLM land, that is.

PS. Bill Burke is going to be doing a class in Anza Borrego again Feb. 24-25 and an advanced recovery class on Feb. 27, if anyone is interested. I'll probably attend.

http://www.bb4wa.com/

#130956 - 03/01/07 02:33 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Syndicate:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pigcat:
[b]Another idea, in addition to multiple or designated "beginner runs" could be a "training run" for drivers interested in advancing their skills to the next level (me included!) Training can be provided on how to handle obstacles/terrain such as rocks, loose hills, off camber sections, ruts/slots, SLIDING THE TRUCK, last chance efforts, etc. We could meet at a trail and answer questions about how to handle obstacles rather than focusing on getting to the end of the trail. A little knowledge about how the terrain effects the truck increases the comfort level behind the wheel.
Even if we met up for a moderate trail run, I'd be more than happy to dedicate some time on just instructing beginners. I've been off-roading for more than 7 years and have also taken a couple advanced classes by Bill Burke. I love helping beginners build their confidence level. I just wish someone would have helped me when I was starting.

I can also bring a shotgun and pistol for anyone who wants to fire a few rounds for fun, as long as we're on BLM land, that is.

PS. Bill Burke is going to be doing a class in Anza Borrego again Feb. 24-25 and an advanced recovery class on Feb. 27, if anyone is interested. I'll probably attend.

http://www.bb4wa.com/ [/b]
you just reminded me, there is a Tread lightly training course at Hungry Valley this weekend, I 'll post more details in a new thread, and more here but I'm gonna get that done first!

#130957 - 03/01/07 11:06 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't seen your new thread about the Hungry Valley course, but I can guarantee I'll either be there or in the Borrego Badlands.

Let me know if you're doin the Tread Lightly thing for sure.

#130958 - 04/01/07 09:25 AM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I haven't seen your new thread about the Hungry Valley course, but I can guarantee I'll either be there or in the Borrego Badlands.

Let me know if you're doin the Tread Lightly thing for sure.
LOL Yeah sorry, I got distracted by the plane thread.... course is full though so that kinda helped me forget about it... sorry frown

but here is a link to the information:
http://4x4training.com/TrainingClinics/Tread.html

Edit:Oh yeah, if want to do some 4x4 training I'm willing to get my vehicle stuck and people can figure out how to get it up stuck smile

#130959 - 04/01/07 10:29 AM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

[/QB]
While I appreciate the offer to add this activity to the mix, I think having firearms on a beginner run is probably not the best idea. I would rather beginner runs focus on meeting and becoming familiar and comfortable with club members, learning about their trucks and what they can do, and having more of a general wheeling and camping experience.

While many of our members enjoy their firearms on BLM land when appropriate and safe, I think adding this component to a novice-oriented outing may may be a bit much for some.

Frank B. and WolfmanX have led runs centered around shooting Xpeditions. Either those type of runs, or those where the membership attending has made plans or arrangements to include shooting on more advanced runs, would be the best outlet for this activity.

My two cents.

#130960 - 04/01/07 12:36 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Snoopy:
How about a Dubai, U.A.E. desert run? laugh
I second Snoopy on the desert run.
What's up people. [Wave]
It's Eric, and yes I am still in Paradise, I mean Kuwait. 4 more months to go. [Too much XOC]
Happy New Years to you all.
I can't wait to get back and join you all on our 2007 X-ventures. Oh and i'm in a dry country so everyone is ordered to drink a pint for me! [drink]

#130961 - 04/01/07 12:55 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eric, holy crap. Good to hear from you man!

We'll definitely get a big ol' off-roading party going on when you get back, so keep us posted. Let us know if you need anything.

#130962 - 04/01/07 01:01 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eric, great to hear from you. Happy New Year to you too.

Looking forward to seeing you soon. Stay safe, and hope the rest of the tour goes well.

#130963 - 04/01/07 01:21 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

While I appreciate the offer to add this activity to the mix, I think having firearms on a beginner run is probably not the best idea. I would rather beginner runs focus on meeting and becoming familiar and comfortable with club members, learning about their trucks and what they can do, and having more of a general wheeling and camping experience.

While many of our members enjoy their firearms on BLM land when appropriate and safe, I think adding this component to a novice-oriented outing may may be a bit much for some.

Frank B. and WolfmanX have led runs centered around shooting Xpeditions. Either those type of runs, or those where the membership attending has made plans or arrangements to include shooting on more advanced runs, would be the best outlet for this activity.

My two cents.[/QB]
I agree with Bobby on this. I think that is best kept to small groups going out specifically for that purpose. I don't want to turn this into a big discussion on the subject here (we are supposed to be coming up with ideas for places to go this year), but, having seen first-hand what can happen when something goes wrong, I personally think we should keep that separate from the regularly scheduled monthly Xcursions.

My two cents.

#130964 - 04/01/07 01:59 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brian previously mentioned Ballinger park, while I haven' experienced any great find out there I'll go explore some weekend and see if some trails pop out, other wise I can always resort to opening the Southern California Adventure book and pointing my finger a in at a page, then a month on the calendar and make it official.

J/K smile

But I'll see if there are any runs that look interesting, and post them up.

#130965 - 04/01/07 07:40 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am slowly piecing together an Area 51 Run for fall '07. It will need to be a long weekend trip I believe so I'll try to nail it down far enough in advanced so my peeps (yes, the little, yellow, marshmallow chicks) can plan ahead. Also, we'll need to start hitting up the not-so-local Chinese restaurants for the good foil. And I wanted to plan it so Eric will be home for it.

#130966 - 04/01/07 08:24 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I absolutely understand.

#130967 - 04/01/07 09:03 PM Re: 07’ Xcursion Ideas..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mitch1351:
I am slowly piecing together an Area 51 Run for fall '07. It will need to be a long weekend trip I believe so I'll try to nail it down far enough in advanced so my peeps (yes, the little, yellow, marshmallow chicks) can plan ahead. Also, we'll need to start hitting up the not-so-local Chinese restaurants for the good foil. And I wanted to plan it so Eric will be home for it.
How far away does that Chinese restaurant have to be again? Was it something like 23 miles?

I have not had a chance to look closely at this web site, but it may be helpful.

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal