2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131030 - 25/12/06 06:37 PM Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well...just thought i'd post a quick question for everyone. I bought my 2wd xterra S a couple of months ago and i'm curious if there is anyone else out there in my boat who would like to go out but isn't really equipped for anything crazy. I know 2wd sucks, but it's what i can afford until i actually get out of the fire academy. Future plans for the x include the calmini 6" lift and a stillen supercharger to accompany the mandatory sliders and front bumper with winch.

Basically...i am wondering if it would be getting in over my head to roll out with you guys as-is on a basic trip. I've been offroading with friends for quite some time, but i'm dying to learn first hand and i'm hoping to hook up with a good group of patient people who aren't "above everyone" like i'm used to riding with. I would even be down to ride along if my rig wasn't up to the challenge. I'd rather play it safe and save my daily driver than to goof something up.

#131031 - 25/12/06 09:23 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

First off, welcome. What part of So Cal are you in?

If you are looking for some routes that should be 2WD friendly, but still very scenic, check out the book California Coastal Byways by Tony Huegel. He describes the ones that he rates as Easy as probably not requiring 4WD unless conditions deteriorate. (Use your judgement, of course.) I've done a few of the San Diego area routes, and all were fine in 2WD. He also has a similar book called California Desert Byways.

There are a few trails in Anza Borrego that are OK with 2WD as long as you are comfortable driving in soft sand. Might want to think about better tires, an air compressor, and a rear recovery point (hitch shackle maybe).

Keep checking back here too, some of our runs are 2WD friendly. Oh, and look for Davey, he has not let 2WD stop him.

#131032 - 26/12/06 05:14 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome. Nice mod list. Most of the Xcursions I've been on with the club have required 4wd. We're a pretty patient bunch so as long as you have a front tow hook we can probably pull you over most things.

#131033 - 26/12/06 05:56 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yeah we normally have beginner’s runs a few times of year and 2wd is fine for them.

Davey has a nicely modified 2nd gen 4x2 and been out with us a number of times.

The regular monthy runs are usually the 3rd weekend a month, another beginners run is likely to come up soon. Maybe in Jan? on the Indian Truck Trail combined with the Wildomar OHV later in the day for those that want some more challenge.

Keep in mind that you can generally catch a ride with somebody if you don’t fell comfortable with a section.

Does the 06 S model have any of the traction control features like the others ones?

#131034 - 03/01/07 10:51 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well...lemme start out by thanking you guys for the quick replies. I've been battling with issues with my right eye, and i should have some more answers back tomorrow about what's wrong. Anyway, enough of that drama...what did you mean by "nice mod list"? I don't have much of anything for a mod list...just stereo work. I'm hoping to score a calmini lift kit, decent/better tires, and maybe a stillen supercharger if its do able in the near future. (no, i don't race, i'd just like a little extra go when necessary)

Would you recommend a minimum of sliders to do the basic runs? I'm on a super-tight budget while i try to get into the fire dept...but i love offroading and i'm dying to get some first hand knowledge.

#131035 - 03/01/07 11:03 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kilr xterra:

Would you recommend a minimum of sliders to do the basic runs?
It's not an absolute must but your driving has to make up for not having them.
Most "basic" runs could be done in a Honda Civic. If I were you, I'd head out on trips when these guys plan em and don't rush on getting the sliders, especially if you're on a budget.

#131036 - 04/01/07 07:17 AM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recommend sliders when you can comfortably afford them. Generally speaking you shouldn't need them, but we have had some "stock friendly" trails turn bad, I've had mine on since May and there are more than a few dings in them.

#131037 - 04/01/07 07:17 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point Mitch, I hit my sliders just about every run. By "nice mod list" I was referring your list of proposed modifications. [ThumbsUp]

#131038 - 05/01/07 05:01 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would suggest going with SLR for as much stuff as you can. not only is spencer an awesome guy, but he does great work. he has a 3" system coming out for the 2nd gen soon. if you like the drop bracket stuff, he has a 5" as well. i hopefully will be getting some sliders soon. i think UCA's have priority though...

#131039 - 05/01/07 09:42 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by davey:
i would suggest going with SLR for as much stuff as you can. not only is spencer an awesome guy, but he does great work. he has a 3" system coming out for the 2nd gen soon. if you like the drop bracket stuff, he has a 5" as well. i hopefully will be getting some sliders soon. i think UCA's have priority though...
Titan?

#131040 - 06/01/07 09:55 AM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

...titan?

#131041 - 06/01/07 03:33 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by davey:
...titan?
UCA's to match the LCA's.

#131042 - 06/01/07 03:43 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh! yes. of course. he already has them in production. i just need to scrounge up the $500+

#131043 - 06/01/07 03:53 PM Re: Just a quick question for the SCCX
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds nice. You get what you pay for.

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal