shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131190 - 18/06/07 05:17 PM July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: "WolfmanX"
This is our next run. More info to follow, but I wanted the dates and location up so people can plan ahead!

OVERALL TRAIL RATING: #3 4WD EASY / #4 4WD EASY
See: http://ccx.smugmug.com/gallery/146158

Meet place: Sugar Loaf Cafe, Pinyon Pines

10:00AM Pinyon
Sugar Loaf Cafe
Off HWY 74, across from Pinyon Fire Station.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Sugar+Loaf+Cafe,+Mountain+Center,+CA&ie=UTF8&ll=33.656352,-116.453705&spn=0.342356,0.464859&z=11&iwloc=A&om=1

Special Things to Bring:

WOOD (there will be NO scavaging for wood. Fire will be in a metal container. Due to fire restrictions WE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE A FIRE, bring gas stoves
HOT AND COOL weather clothing.

Communications:

FRS
Channel: 7
Sub Code: 24

CB
Channel: 7

HAM - See bottom of post

This run will take us to higher elevations for a nice cool, and fairly local run!

SATURDAY

The order of trails has not been finalized.

Santa Rosa Road - Easy, graded forest service road. This is just to get things started.

Sawmill Road - Easy to Moderate unmaintained road. This road is VERY scenic, overlooking both Pinyon and Coachella valley. We ascend to the pines and hit the old sawmill. This will be the basecamp, but there are some optional runs depending on what people feel like. The most notable thing about this trail is the quail the size of chickens that infest it!!

Look more like T-REX tracks than quail!

Sawmill Loop - This one rates a #6 4WD CHALLENGING (http://ccx.smugmug.com/gallery/146158). This is a fun loop with a pucker factor. The trail zig zags through the pines. We loop back around to the mill.

Rental car = OWNED!

Haunted Trailer Road - Moderate Trail offering the same scenic views and a creepy scooby doo ending.

SUNDAY

After breakfast we all head down the hill to Pinyon, then up the mountain to Garner Valley. We head up to Thomas mountain, and follow the ridgeline eventually ending up in Hemet. Views, pines, and cool weather should be the highlight of this day, as the trails will be easy. Photography and hiking opportunities as well.

---------------------------------------------------------

FOR ALL HAM USERS:

This is the setup I would like to use:

Freq: 146.400 (simplex 2m)
DCS code: 174
ARTS: Enabled

Make sure CWID is enabled for TX ON, and make sure your call is programmed in to the radio.

This will make it so we don't have to ID every 10 mins or what have you, when ARTS is enabled, the radio will send out your call in CW periodically. Secondly, ARTS will show whether other readios are in range of eachother or not, and in this terrain we should get a good 30-40+ miles at full power.

#131191 - 14/07/07 06:35 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Were are still planning on going.
Who else is going?

#131192 - 14/07/07 08:42 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm planning on going. [ThumbsUp]

#131193 - 15/07/07 07:30 AM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife and I are going.

#131194 - 15/07/07 08:51 AM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going.

#131195 - 15/07/07 01:26 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still planning to attend,,,Saturday.
Jim and Chris

#131196 - 15/07/07 06:11 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

I expect to be there. Probably not Heather though, she has a wedding to attend.

#131197 - 16/07/07 06:19 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey everyone:

I am new to this whole xterra club business, but am planning on attending my first outing this Saturday and Sunday. I was just wondering if there was any special information i should know about. Have a great day.

#131198 - 17/07/07 07:01 AM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Be patient with Dan and John.

#131199 - 17/07/07 08:38 AM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to work this weekend. Have a great time everyone!

#131200 - 17/07/07 08:12 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by peteace:
Hey everyone:

I am new to this whole xterra club business, but am planning on attending my first outing this Saturday and Sunday. I was just wondering if there was any special information i should know about. Have a great day.
Well you may need to know that Mitch is a perv and watch-out if he mentions "clothing optional". I don't think there's anything special, just bring what you may need for two days of primitive camping and lots of water. Also maybe a map or GPS if you want to know where you are and an FRS radio to listen in to everything.

#131201 - 17/07/07 09:34 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mitch is okay when driving his heavily modified yellow Xterra, however do not approach him if he is driving his other vehicle, just move away slowly and do not make eye contact.

#131202 - 18/07/07 10:46 AM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Sturndog:
Mitch is okay when driving his heavily modified yellow Xterra, however do not approach him if he is driving his other vehicle, just move away slowly and do not make eye contact.
Man, I want one of those. Guess I'll have to move to Idaho or Nevada.

That's a lot better trailer than what I rigged up as a kid, which was a clay pigeon launcher mounted on a swivel to little red wagon that we towed behind a Schwin Sting Ray. The clay targets made great projectiles, as they flew quite consistently. (I'm sure the statute of limitations has long since expired on any harm that may have been done.)

#131203 - 18/07/07 02:43 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Frank,I think the stature of limitations would apply to any that doesn't confess....I think you just did.
I'm still up in the air on this trip.

#131204 - 18/07/07 04:40 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xtatik:
Frank,I think the stature of limitations would apply to any that doesn't confess....I think you just did.
I'm still up in the air on this trip.
The good thing about this trip is that we will run over enough overweight quail on the way up to feed us all.

#131205 - 18/07/07 05:35 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where is the camp site going to be? I might not make it until later Saturday and I imagine I'll have to search for AT tracks or follow quail carcass to find you all. Or maybe I'll see a nice big fire in the night!
Tom

#131206 - 18/07/07 05:56 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

We will have pretty excellent line-of-sight radio comm.

The plan right now is to camp at the sawmill... but if it is too hot, we may migrate.

Tell you what; we will leave a note at the sugar loaf cafe cork board with directions if the plan changes.

#131207 - 18/07/07 06:56 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by peteace:
Hey everyone:

1. Get/bring an FRS radio - available at BestBuy or Circuit City for about $25 each. Lots of fun and jokes go on the radio, also used for truck to truck coordination.

2. Find out who John is.

3. Top off your fuel tank close to the point of meeting. Having an extra handful of gasoline while out there might be a good thing ... coming up short is always a bad thing.

4. Don't park behind John.

5. Remove your step rails and mud flaps if you plan on joining us on that sawmill loop road.

6. Don't be in the line in front of John.

7. Lunch is normally eaten cold so bring sandwiches. Dinner is hot and cooked on a camp stove. Looks like no charcoal this time so bring propane or hook up with someone with one. After we're done cooking you're welcome to mine ... but get in line early!

8. Remember that John is really a great guy! laugh

9. Bring the wife, kids, and the dog and smile, relax and have fun. My first two or three trips I got pretty up tight with all these guys running our trucks into impossible trails ... and then learned that some of them really know what they're doing and the Xterra is a pretty capable SUV.

10. If/when the site ever comes up there's a pretty good check list of stuff to bring along. Tools, first aid, extra water, recovery gear and the like ... I don't think too many of us have everything but most of us have most of it.

11. Bring a snipe bag if you have one, as a newbie you get to lead the snipe hunt. wink

12. Beware of cattle guards in the road.

#131208 - 18/07/07 07:43 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
We will have pretty excellent line-of-sight radio comm.

The plan right now is to camp at the sawmill... but if it is too hot, we may migrate.

Tell you what; we will leave a note at the sugar loaf cafe cork board with directions if the plan changes.
Can't go wrong with that!
Thanks.

#131209 - 18/07/07 08:17 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Pigcat:
Where is the camp site going to be? I might not make it until later Saturday and I imagine I'll have to search for AT tracks or follow quail carcass to find you all. Or maybe I'll see a nice big fire in the night!
Tom
Follow the oil trail from John's rear diff. smile

BTW, there are no cattle guards on these trails. At least none that I remember.

#131210 - 19/07/07 05:39 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

CORONITA SKIDPLATE CHECKING IN....

Hey everyone, my girlfriend and I will be joining yall on your trip. We will meet you at Pinyon Cafe at 10:00 AM. What city is that in? Is there a physical address I can map quest?

As you can see I love the outdoors...

And I'm a team player!

Brian & Mitch, this is a new girlfriend, so DONT make any references to the old one at this event. (Please.)

#131211 - 19/07/07 06:15 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Get out of the way, MARK is coming through wink

There is a link in the 1st post:
Sugar Loaf Cafe & Market -70111 State Highway 74 # 100, Mountain Center, CA
Off HWY 74, across from Pinyon Fire Station.

Bringing the Grey Poupon and tablecloths for lunch again laugh Seriously would be great to see you again.

Got to put my junk [no pun] back together, waiting on some parts to arrive tomorrow so hope to get'r done it time. If not I might arrive later afternoon/early evening like Tom.

Brian

#131212 - 19/07/07 08:57 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looking forward to seeing you and the gang too Brian. Hurry up and get there for breakfast.

Coronita Skid Plate.

#131213 - 19/07/07 09:33 PM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark1107:
CORONITA SKIDPLATE CHECKING IN....

Hey everyone, my girlfriend and I will be joining yall on your trip. We will meet you at Pinyon Cafe at 10:00 AM. What city is that in? Is there a physical address I can map quest?

As you can see I love the outdoors...

And I'm a team player!

Brian & Mitch, this is a new girlfriend, so DONT make any references to the old one at this event. (Please.)
Well I guess the "Mojave Road '06" slideshow will have to wait for another run.

#131214 - 20/07/07 07:50 AM Re: July 21-22: Santa Rosa / Thomas Mtns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't think we will be making this one after all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal