shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131700 - 10/12/06 09:46 PM Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, as some of you know, I'm planning to head out to Death Valley during the week between Xmas and New Year. Going to explore, photograph a few things and what not. Some folks have mentioned that they might be interested in going, so I thought I'd post up.

What I have in mind is an expedition-style run through the north end of the park. No real itinerary or schedule, not hardcore wheeling, just fun, open country exploring. Kind of like a 4X4 photography workshop, if you will. Don't know where I'm going, but at the end of the week, I'll know where I've been.

Is anyone interested in this? Mind you, this is a type of run where carrying extra fuel, water, food, parts and tools will be mandatory. Weather can be unpredictable in the park, but past trips at this time have been quite temperate.

Not sure of the exact dates yet, but I plan on starting off by gassing up at Scotty's Castle (last place, really), heading out to the racetrack, shooting there, staying at the primitive campground at the end, shooting the sunrise, heading down the Lippincott mine trail (steep and rocky, but fun, nice pucker factor last year) and the dropping into the Saline Valley before picking up what passes as a road to head north. After that, who knows.

Post up or call me if you have any thoughts or reccomendations.

#131701 - 11/12/06 01:22 AM Re: Death Valley
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
My schedule is open from Dec 18-26. I'd be totally into a Death Valley trip if you're planning on going between those days...

#131702 - 11/12/06 06:58 AM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

if my work schedule permits, id love to go

#131703 - 11/12/06 08:30 AM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

I might be in. I'll only have a couple of days so I'll have to be quick. The road through the Saline Valley will not be passable at the Northern end though. It gets above 7000 and I'm guessing will be closed due to snow.

#131704 - 11/12/06 08:43 AM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd love to come, but I don't think I'd want to go without her. she currently has to work on thursday and friday after xmas but she's gonna ask her boss about getting those days off. so we're up in the air.

#131705 - 11/12/06 08:53 AM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last year at that time, the road was open. I'll have to check on what the possible road closures might be.

Travis, I'm planning on the week after Xmas because that's the only time I have off.

#131706 - 11/12/06 04:33 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bobby,
I have that time off too. I may join you for some exploring. I've never made it to DV but would like to. I'll keep checking in for details.

#131707 - 11/12/06 08:54 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm off that week. I'll be thinking about it.

#131708 - 11/12/06 08:55 PM Re: Death Valley
Snoopy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:
Travis, I'm planning on the week after Xmas because that's the only time I have off.
It's all good. I look forward to some great pictures!!

#131709 - 11/12/06 10:13 PM Re: Death Valley
sandmanX Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest California
I may have family visiting, but if not, I'm definitely up for this.

#131710 - 12/12/06 11:39 AM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was already considering a trip to Death Valley that week with some of my backpacking group. Let me know as you get more definitive plans and I may meet up for part or all of it...I am thinking about leaving on the morning of the 28th and returning the 31st.

#131711 - 15/12/06 09:14 AM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

A few quick thoughts...

1. Gas is temporarily unavailable at Scotty's Castle due to construction. I'm checking to see if it will be up and running by then, but I doubt it. This means double checking all prospective routes for distance and carrying extra fuel will be of even greater importance.

2. A few of the roads (sic) I'm thinking of have been graded recently, such as the road to =Racetrack Playa and Saline Valley.

3. Currently, road closures due to snow, conditions, etc. are minimal. That, however, could change on a daily basis.

4. Bought a new book on DV, and it has some neat stuff in there that I never heard of. Also found a message board that seems populated by some knowledgeable folk about the area. Am checking that for some ideas as well.

Catch you later,

Bobby

#131712 - 15/12/06 05:20 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the title of the book Bobby?

#131713 - 15/12/06 06:07 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

unfortunately, im off right BEFORE xmas frown
i really wanted to go. have fun everyone!

#131714 - 15/12/06 09:09 PM Re: Death Valley
sandmanX Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest California
Quote:
Originally posted by Snoopy:
My schedule is open from Dec 18-26. I'd be totally into a Death Valley trip if you're planning on going between those days...
I'm off work from now until Jan 2.

If I can't get to DV after Christmas, I'm half considering going sometime next week.

#131715 - 16/12/06 01:21 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mitch1351:
What is the title of the book Bobby?
It's called Death Valley SUV Trails by Roger Mitchell. It has some places, directions and reference points I've been looking for.

#131716 - 17/12/06 02:15 PM Re: Death Valley
Snoopy Offline

Quote:
I'm planning to head out to Death Valley during the week between Xmas and New Year.
Are you planning on the 26-30th or something like that? I might be able to rearrange my schedule to go as long as I’m back before the 31st of Dec.

#131717 - 17/12/06 06:37 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Snoopy:
Quote:
[b]I'm planning to head out to Death Valley during the week between Xmas and New Year.
Are you planning on the 26-30th or something like that? I might be able to rearrange my schedule to go as long as I’m back before the 31st of Dec.[/b]
That's what I'm thinking.

#131718 - 18/12/06 09:19 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the DV morning report is starting to list more roads w/snow and ice, recommending high clearance 4X4 vehicles WITH chains for increased snow and ice in remote/higher altitude areas.

A link to the DV morning report may be found on the middle of this Web page:

http://www.nps.gov/deva/

#131719 - 19/12/06 08:40 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bobby,
Any alternative destination thoughts? Just in case...

#131720 - 19/12/06 09:17 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I honestly hadn't really given any alternative destinations any thought.

I'm not that worried about cold, snow and ice and all that. I just drove through a bunch of that. It was good. laugh

I'm open to ideas, but DV is just so awesome that time of year.

All I know is that if I don't get away from my job soon and get some dirt under the tires, I'm going to go nuts.

BTW Tom, the cracks are growing around the hood latch. Doh!

#131721 - 19/12/06 10:11 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Bobby,
Kim and I are thinking about heading down to Baja for a few days of camping. Check out the link.
http://www.guadalupe-canyon.com/

Check it, its a 35 mile off-road trek to the campsite. Its not DV, but it looks like a good alternate.

Cheers,
Larry

#131722 - 19/12/06 11:21 PM Re: Death Valley
Snoopy Offline

Sounds fun! Are there sites available?

The family and I really dug Baja a few years back when we went over Thanksgiving.

#131723 - 20/12/06 09:21 AM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

Definitely hit the Race Track!! Its like 26 miles of off-road but its worth the trip!

#131724 - 20/12/06 01:10 PM Re: Death Valley
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dropped an email last night to check on availability. No word as of yet....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal