shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131884 - 09/07/07 01:08 PM Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Guys,

I figured you guys are the best people to ask. What are some good trails near the Ojai area? I'm planning on going camping at Wheeler Gorge in the near future and I would love to take my X wheeling up there. Looking for trails that my stock X could handle. Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,
vegasxterra

#131885 - 09/07/07 05:19 PM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Nordhoff Ridge & Potrero Seco but you need a permit:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/recreation/ohv/ord/

Brian

#131886 - 10/07/07 01:51 PM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info Brian. what levels are these trails?

Alfred

#131887 - 10/07/07 05:11 PM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
On a scale of 1-10
#3 4WD EASY / #4 4WD EASY
http://ccx.smugmug.com/gallery/146158

There is one optional shelf climb section on Nordhoff Ridge that goes up to the lookup tower (loose faint kind of an overgrown track) that is a #5 moderate. I didn’t have any problems /wo a lift but you may need a bit of mo on the last step with the loose rock to get over.

Post up when you're going, there some folks that live near by that that might join you.

#131888 - 10/07/07 10:24 PM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, I got a great book on Southern California off road trails at AAA. It's also available from Amazon. "Backcountry Adventures: Southern California" by Massey & Wilson. It describes the trail, it's degree of difficulty and has GPS coordinates and time it would take you to drive the trail. I think they have one for Northern California, and maybe Nevada. Central California is included in the So. Ca. book.lj

#131889 - 10/07/07 10:59 PM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

I checked, Amazon.com has one for N. Ca, So. Ca, Utah, and Arizona. Like I said really good book. I even gave one as a gift to friends that have a jeep, and like off roading. Well worth the $. lj

#131890 - 12/07/07 09:33 AM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll try AAA, they're right down the street from my work. NV seems to have alot of trails, but no one really knows about them. With Nellis AFB being close by my house, im afraid of getting shot at if i get too far back into the hills. They do alot of ammunitions testing back in the hills behind my house. Plus Area 51 isn't too far away neither, lol. I'll definitely pick up some maps. Thanks!!

Alfred

#131891 - 12/07/07 08:18 PM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by vegaSXterra:
thanks for the info Brian. what levels are these trails?

Alfred
All of Brian's trails are stock friendly. wink

#131892 - 16/07/07 07:36 AM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, once thing you need to get the permit during a weekday, the ranger station in Ojai is closed on the weekends and that is where you get the permit. one thing, you are required to have 4wd for these trails, and you are required to be in 4wd from the moment you enter the gates. I'm trying to remember if they told me once that they check to make sure you have 4wd. either way, if you go I will come with you because you have to drive right by my house to get there smile and depending on when you go I might be able to go up and get a permit.

#131893 - 17/07/07 12:22 PM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

i will definitely let you know, i'll probably roll with the two 2nd gens from here plus a couple Fronty's, we just need to get it organized. we're going on a run this weekend at a spot called Wheelers Pass. Anyone welcome to join, if you want to drive this far.

#131894 - 22/07/07 07:36 AM Re: Ojai, Los Padres OHV Trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

This one is close and can afford the gas .Editor X is even Closer .I have to op check my driver front hub since I replaced it . Should have gone manual.

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal