shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132048 - 27/09/05 01:08 PM Hey
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, I am being stationed in Vegas (can't wait to leave DC). Well, there is no club in Vegas so I guess I will be looking to meet up with the AZ crew when you wheel up North and Southern CA crew when they wheel.

I have a report no later than date of 15 Feb so it will be a few months. The wife and I will be buying out there so if anyone has advice for living in Vegas I would appreciate it. The base is NE of the strip... obviously looking to stay as close to the base as possible without living in a bad area.

#132049 - 27/09/05 02:49 PM Re: Hey
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Sigh... my old stomping grounds....

The area around Nellis isn't the greatest. I do have friends who live up between Bonanza and Charleston near Hollywood blvd. It's an OK area. That's a tough part of town to commute to or live around. North Las Vegas is a pit, and roads on the north side of town suck to commute on. The east side of town isn't near as bad.

Tough call - if I had to live in town, the area on the east side between Bonanza and Charleston isn't a bad one. I also like some parts of Henderson - you can take 93/95 south - it still moves pretty good, or at least it did in April when I was back in town for a conference.

Dunno, other than North Las Vegas there just aren't too many really bad places in town. You'll have to look for yourself.

Any kids? I would definitely head for the south or west side of town if I had kids....

#132050 - 27/09/05 03:08 PM Re: Hey
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of my good friends from college lives in Henderson and she highly reccomends it. That would mean about a 20mi commute each way. Right now I am living 30 mi from base in DC area simply because I hate to be crowded. Wife and I own a home .5 mi from the Beach. smile

I think Henderson will have to be it though because I do not want to be living in a bad part of town. Even a "questionable" part of town is not an option. I basically want to be safe and as close to base as possible. $400k will be the cap on what we are going to buy so I will have to work off of that too.

#132051 - 27/09/05 03:28 PM Re: Hey
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
I think Henderson will have to be it though because I do not want to be living in a bad part of town.
I didn't say the east side of town between Charleston and Bonanza near Hollywood was a bad side of town, or even questionble - you should drive through it before you commit. If I had kids, I wouldn't want them on schools on the east side of town, but the area itself isn't too bad.

To be clear, i did say the North part of was bad smile

Quote:
I basically want to be safe and as close to base as possible.
I hear you. As I said, other than North Las Vegas, there aren't many parts of town I wouldn't feel safe in.

I grew up in Boulder City - and if I was back in the area, that's where I would be - even if I worked in Summerlin.

But I may be biased smile

Quote:
$400k will be the cap on what we are going to buy so I will have to work off of that too.
$400K = $600K here in the DC area.

For example, here is one community I really liked the location of, and most of the houses are well within your price range, even if you add options...

Good luck!

#132052 - 27/09/05 06:24 PM Re: Hey
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, we stand to make some good money on our home here when we sell. I would guess about 100k after living here for just over a year.

#132053 - 27/09/05 06:36 PM Re: Hey
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
Yeah, we stand to make some good money on our home here when we sell. I would guess about 100k after living here for just over a year.
Yup, that's one thing about this area, the increase has been amazing - I signed on my new house in December, I haven't even moved in yet (will Thursday - woot!) and I'm up almost 100K in equity.

And I don't see it slowing down any time soon here, mainly because of the government but also because population in the US is simply on the rise and this is a densely populated area.

Have fun in Vegas. Make sure you check out several parts of town, but I prefer either some parts of Henderson (closer to the mountains the better) or like I said, even Boulder City but BC may be out of your price range. I could get to Nellis from BC in the same amount of time it takes me to get from Manassas to Reston and it's almost three times the distance smile

They whine about traffic in Vegas, but they really don't have traffic that bad - having to change lanes while you are doing 70 on the beltway doesn't constitute unbearable traffic [Freak]

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal