shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132119 - 28/02/04 12:35 AM Re: listing members
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Look at my stats for the month...
I didn't make the list. frown

Funny I feel like I'm spending too much time here. :p

Xterra101.com

#132120 - 28/02/04 08:05 AM Re: listing members
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yeah, the other boards are SO slow compared to XOC... Bullshit, they all serve pages pretty darn quick, and I'm the type to notice. Hell, the NOR board even reports how fast the page was generated at the bottom of every page (not that I pay attention, and I'm sure you'll call it a gimmick that only slows it down more). The times I've seen issues now and then with the speed of other sites is either due to their hosting or glitches with the software, but in general when they're running smoothly they're doing the trick fast enough to satisfy anyone that isn't sitting there with a freakin' stopwatch looking for a half-second difference in average page load.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#132121 - 28/02/04 08:37 AM Re: listing members
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Hell Ian, perhaps a poll for the masses might be fun:

Poll: OffroadX - stay or go?

* Where's the question? Ban the bastard!
* I wouldn't miss him, and maybe Ian wouldn't be so cranky without him under his skin and the board would be better off all around.
* No opinion.
* I wish he wouldn't be such a smug know-it-all post whore, but I can live with him.
* I got no beef with the guy, and I find him to be an asset despite his personality. Booting him would be a mistake.

?
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#132122 - 28/02/04 10:36 AM Re: listing members
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Two old women arguing aint got nothing on Ian and Brent [LOL]

#132123 - 28/02/04 12:30 PM Re: listing members
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Yeah, the other boards are SO slow compared to XOC... Bullshit, they all serve pages pretty darn quick, and I'm the type to notice. Hell, the NOR board even reports how fast the page was generated at the bottom of every page (not that I pay attention, and I'm sure you'll call it a gimmick that only slows it down more). The times I've seen issues now and then with the speed of other sites is either due to their hosting or glitches with the software, but in general when they're running smoothly they're doing the trick fast enough to satisfy anyone that isn't sitting there with a freakin' stopwatch looking for a half-second difference in average page load.
I quit hanging out at the other sites because I got tired of all the crap they have on the pages. What does NOR's load time bug add to site? Really do you care? I'd prefer if the kept their sites lean. It was their choice to turn on all the bells and whistles and my choice to stop visiting.

My biggest gripe is photos in signatures and avatars under names. It does absolutley nothing for the site but cluttler up the page and make threads slow to load and difficult to read. Do you really care to see a scanned in 4"x6" photo of a stock truck someone is a little too proud of everytime they post. Do you know what my truck looks like? Do I shove it in front of you ever time I post? From what I recall yours is a stock height blue on lego wheels and 32" BFG MT's with a TJM front bumper with no winch. I definitely don't need to see that every time you post.

N4W's "Advanced Features" are total crap when it comes to looking for new posts since last visit. Which is the main way I surf. There should always be a "What's New Since Your Last Visit" button near the top. It should show all threads board wide. Ian's not perfect with this one either. One of my only gripes with XOC is the New Topics button is only what's new since midnight mountain time. Not since last visit and it's never included supporting members or admistration areas for those with permission to those areas.

Both N4W and NOR need help on coming up with consistent color chioces. At least Plushfab uses a consistent color schemes site wide. I find NOR's forum unreadable. The dark blue background and yellow text looks like an old RGB monitor and I find it hard to read. Dark Text on a light background is much easier than light text on a dark background. Is the color scheme user adjustable (which I've seen)? Scratch that it shouldn't be. The site should have the balls to force their preference on readers, but those preference shouldn't be just plain ugly and painful to use.

Do you get mine point? In my opinion NOR and N4W are too much of a pain in the ass to use, so I don't. It's that simple.

#132124 - 28/02/04 01:51 PM Re: listing members
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Brent, open the Active Topics page at NOR...

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/active.asp

...then view the properties.

Today it's 632,002 bytes. That's over half a fucking meg. XOC's Active Topics page is 8,087 bytes.

Open the main page on NOR, 144,178 bytes. Here it's 9,671 bytes.

XF is almost as bloated but it's running the slug known as PHPNuke on a 486 with a dial-up line (with the copyrights illegally removed so BP can claim he wrote it himself).

Leave the web development to web developers.

#132125 - 28/02/04 03:12 PM Re: listing members
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:

If I wanted to send Walt a private message or an email right now to ask him if it was OK for me to put up an old video clip of his 2WD Xterra getting 4 feet of air under the front tires shortly before he traded it in, how do you suggest I go about it?
You would go about e-mailing me seeing as I did the video.. but hey..
shrug

#132126 - 01/03/04 11:29 AM Re: listing members
Anonymous
Unregistered

"KICK HIS ASS, C-BASS."

#132127 - 05/03/04 03:30 PM Re: listing members
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
the slug known as PHPNuke ... Leave the web development to web developers.
I thought Nuke was pretty cool.

Until I started trying to build with it.

Good God, what a headache. Nothing makes sense, there are WAAAAAAAAY too many tables, and it's abysmally slow. The content management is nice, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I figured it would be easier than building a site since I'm no web developer by any means, but I'm starting to wish I'd just bought a book on PHP or something and slowly built something from the ground up.

But, for the most part, it works; it's just not in any hurry to do so.

So.. yeah.

#132128 - 08/03/04 12:36 AM Re: listing members
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
But, for the most part, it works; it's just not in any hurry to do so.
It has the standard feature-itis that plagues so much open source software these days. Everyone wants their cool little bit, but when you put it all together it's just a mess.

Just looking at http://phpnuke.org/ makes me close the browser. Too much information, too little structure.

I tried to use osCommerce for a site too, but when I looked at what 12 programmers had done to it, all thinking different things, I wrote my own.

To many chefs...

#132129 - 09/03/04 08:00 AM Re: listing members
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Quote:
To many chefs..
confused ahh..To many chiefs.
Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Indian [Finger]

Tsi-La-Gi

#132130 - 09/03/04 04:05 PM Re: listing members
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by evansxterr:
confused ahh..To many chiefs.
:rolleyes: No... I love this board - quick to judge and hpersensitive smile

(not that I haven't done either myself - just said it's what I love about this board smile )

#132131 - 09/03/04 08:12 PM Re: listing members
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Chefs..Chiefs, it was a 50/50 shot. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal